Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Goal Zero Switch 8 Solar Recharging Kit
Compact, portable kit with recharger and solar panel
Our take on the Goal Zero Switch 8 Solar Recharging Kit by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Even when you're packing light there's room for the Switch 8 Solar Recharging Kit.
Solar power that goes wherever you go
Featuring the lightest and most compact solar gear we've seen, this kit combines Goal Zero's Switch 8 rechargeable battery and Nomad 3.5 ultra-compact solar panel. Together they'll keep your handheld gear going strong. Their small size and light weight makes them perfect for tossing in a backpack for recharging power wherever and whenever you need it.
Two ways to pack a charge
There are a couple ways to keep the Switch 8 charged up and ready to go. If you don't have access to a conventional source of power, you can connect the Switch 8 to the included Nomad 3.5 solar panel, which you lay out in the sun (a full recharge takes 6-12 hours). Or, you can plug the Switch 8 into any USB power source, such as a laptop (takes about 4 hours to recharge).
Once the Switch 8 is charged you can use it to charge your smartphone, GPS unit, camera, etc.
Who is Goal Zero?
Goal Zero is a Utah-based innovator of portable solar solutions that can power a variety of USB, 12-volt, and AC devices wherever and whenever you need them. Field-proven in some of the most remote places on Earth, Goal Zero products add an eco-friendly measure of convenience, comfort and safety to any outdoor adventure.
What's in the Box:
- Nomad 3.5 Solar panel
- Switch 8 Portable recharger
- 6" USB extension cable (male USB type-A plug on one end and female USB type-A port on the other)
- Nomad 3.5 User guide
- Switch 8 User guide
- Trouble shooting tip
- Warranty information
Switch 8 recharger:
- ultra-lightweight rechargeable power supply for charging smartphones and other small USB-powered devices
- rugged, weather-resistant design optimal operating temp. 32-104° F
- lithium-ion battery
- regulated power output is 5V, 1A (5 watts)
- standard USB input and output ports (male input, female output)
- can be charged by a USB power source (about 4 hours), or by the included Nomad 3.5 solar panel (6-12 hours)
- fully charge a smartphone in as little as one hour
- 4-15/16"L x 15/16" diameter
- weight: 3.2 oz.
- warranty: 6 months
Nomad 3.5 solar panel:
- ultra-compact, foldable 3.5-watt solar panel
- rugged, weather-resistant design optimal operating temp. 0-120° F
- high-efficiency monocrystalline cell technology
- nylon loops make it easy to hang the panel from a backpack, in a car window, or in any convenient spot when camping
- USB port for charging the included Switch 8 recharger
- solar port for charging the Guide 10 Plus battery pack (sold separately)
- 5-1/2"W x 6-1/8"H x 1-1/2"D (folded); 10-5/8"W x 6-1/8"H x 1/4"D (unfolded)
- weight: 8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: panel collects power but cannot store it; storage requires included Switch 8 battery
Nomad 3.5: The Nomad 3.5 dual solar panel has two outputs, a Solar plug designed for the Guide 10 Plus battery charger and a USB type-A port to charge the included Switch 8 recharger. Both can be used simultaneously; the available power is split between them. Nine nylon loops allow you to easily hang/mount the solar panel.
Nomad 3.5 Specifications:
- Rated Wattage: 3.5 watts
- Solar Cell Type: mono-crystalline
- Open Circuit Voltage: 6.5-7 volts DC
- Efficiency: 17-18%
- Cell Area: 199 cm² (including the case, each panel is approximately 6"x5")
- Weight: 0.5 lbs/8 oz
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 0°-120° F
- USB Port: 5 volts/0.5 amp (2.5 watts max, linear regulated)
- Solar Port: 6-6.5 volts/0.5 amp (3 watts max, not regulated)
- Approximate Charging Time: varies with weather
- Included Switch 8: 5-10 hours
- Guide 10 Plus: 6-12 hours
- Typical Cell Phone/MP3 Player: 2-5 hours (in most cases, the Nomad 3.5 will not charge a smart phone directly, the Switch 8 must be charged by the solar panel, then used to charge the smart phone)
- Width: 10-5/8"
- Height: 6-1/8"
- Depth: 1/4"
Switch 8: The Switch 8 portable recharger is a Lithium-ion (NMC) battery designed to charge or power small USB powered devices. The Switch 8 is charged using the included USB extension cable plugged into its male USB type-A input plug. It can be charged using the included Nomad 3.5 solar panel, or another USB power supply. There are four LEDs to show the amount of charging completed (while charging) and power availability (when not charging). The Switch 8 turns on automatically when a USB powered device is plugged into its female USB type-A port.
Switch 8 Specifications:
- Battery Voltage Range: 3.0-4.2 volts
- Weight: 0.2 lbs/3.2 oz
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 32°-104° F
- Input: male USB type-A plug; 5 volts/1 amp (5 watts max)
- Output: female USB Port; 5 volts/1 amp (5 watts max; regulated; 8 Wh total capacity)
- Shelf Life: 6 months; if not used, the battery should still be recharged every 3-4 months
- Approximate Charging Time:
- Included Nomad 3.5: 6-12 hours
- Standard USB Power Source: 4 hours
- Diameter: 15/16"
- Length: 4-15/16" (with nothing plugged in)
Warranty: The warranty is 6 months on the Switch 8 battery and 1 year on the solar panel.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have one just like it & want interchangeability, size is not too big & not too small for emergency phone recharging. [ Stephen Jan 29, 2017 ]