Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit
Compact, portable kit with battery pack, AC inverter and solar panel
From Goal Zero: Sherpa 50 Portable Recharger-CR
Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit - Power smartphones and even a laptop when you're off the grid
Item # 79742005 | MFR # 42005
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
You can charge the Sherpa 50 using the included solar panel, a wall outlet, or your car's accessory port. Then just plug your devices into the Sherpa to keep them powered up.
Serious solar power to go
The ultra-compact Sherpa 50 has been one of Goal Zero's most popular standalone chargers, and this combo kit offers even more portable power options. The Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit can keep several USB and 12-volt devices powered up when you're away from home, whether you're out on the trail, in the air, or on the water. And when you are at home, it has enough juice to function as a limited source of emergency power during a blackout.
What makes the Sherpa 50 recharger so versatile is its substantial power storage capacity, and its ability to provide regulated power. Electronic devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops can be finicky when it comes to charging. If they don't get just the right amount and consistency of power, they often won't take a charge — especially laptops. The Sherpa 50's USB and laptop ports supply regulated power to keep your gear happy.
Take your wall outlet with you
This kit includes an AC inverter module that comes pre-attached to the Sherpa 50 recharger. The inverter provides a standard 3-prong AC receptacle for compatibility with more devices, but the round opening makes no contact internally. This makes it super-easy to power laptops, tablets and camera batteries virtually anywhere.
Three ways to charge the Sherpa 50
This kit includes a bolt-on AC inverter module that comes pre-attached to the Sherpa 50.
There are three ways to keep the Sherpa 50 charged up and ready to go. If you don't have access to a conventional source of power, you can connect the Sherpa to the included Nomad 13 solar panel and place it in the sun (a full recharge takes about 5 hours). Or, you can plug the Sherpa 50 into your car's 12-volt accessory port, or into an AC wall outlet — both of those options require about 3 hours to recharge.
Who is Goal Zero?
Goal Zero is a Utah-based innovator of portable solar solutions that can power a variety of USB, 12-volt, and AC devices wherever and whenever you need them. Field-proven in some of the most remote places on Earth, Goal Zero products add an eco-friendly measure of convenience, comfort and safety to any outdoor adventure.
Sherpa 50 recharger:
- compact, lightweight rechargeable battery pack for charging laptops, tablets, lights, and small USB-powered devices
- rugged, weather-resistant design optimal operating temp. 32-104° F
- can be charged from wall AC or the included Nomad 13 solar panel
- lithium-ion battery
- built-in low-battery and overcharging protection
- detachable AC power inverter
- inputs and outputs
- USB port for charging portable devices (5V, up to 1.5A, 7.5W max, regulated)
- 7.4mm laptop port (19.5V, up to 4.1A, 80W max, regulated)
- AC inverter with 3-prong receptacle (110V, up to 0.7A, 80W continuous, modified sine wave)
- 6mm Goal Zero charging port (12V, up to 10A, 120W max)
- 8mm input charging port for charging the Sherpa 50 (14-29V, up to 5A, 60W max)
- built-in LED flashlight runs for 150+ hours per charge
- 4-1/2"W x 1-5/8"H x 5-1/4"D (6-1/8"W with AC inverter)
- weight: 1.1 lbs.
- warranty: 6 months
Nomad 13 solar panel:
- compact, foldable 13-watt solar panel
- rugged, weather-resistant design optimal operating temp. 0-120° F
- high-efficiency monocrystalline cell technology
- nylon loops make it easy to hang the panel from a backpack, in a car window, or in any convenient spot when camping
- capable of charging some small electronic devices directly (smartphones, GPS units, cameras)
- capable of charging the Sherpa 50 in 6-12 hours
- inputs and outputs:
- USB port for charging cell phones, MP3 players, etc. (regulated)
- 12V port for charging 12-volt devices or the Sherpa 50 (includes 12-volt car adapter with cigarette lighter-type port)
- 2.5mm mini-port for charging a compatible Goal Zero recharger like the Guide 10 Plus
- input port for chaining up to four Nomad panels together for more power and/or quicker charging
- ports and cables are located in a built-in pouch
- built-in pocket protects your device as it charges
- 10-1/2"W x 7"H x 1"D (folded); 17-7/8"W x 10-5/8"H x 1/4"D (unfolded)
- weight: 1.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: panel cannot store power for charging after dark; storage requires included Sherpa 50 recharger
What's in the Box:
- Nomad 13 Solar panel
- Sherpa 50 Portable charger
- Sherpa 50 Inverter (installed)
- Charging power supply (48" DC output cord-15 volts/1.5 amps)
- 74" AC power cord
- 14" Laptop charging cord
- 5.5mm Laptop adapter
- 6mm Laptop adapter
- 7.4mm Laptop adapter
- 8mm Laptop adapter
- 12 Volt car adapter for Sherpa 50 (cigarette lighter type port)
- 12 Volt car adapter for Nomad 13 Solar panel (cigarette lighter type port)
- 4.7mm to 8mm adapter cord for legacy Nomad products
- Nomad 13 User guide
- Sherpa 50 Recharger user guide
- Sherpa 50 AC Inverter user guide
- Sherpa 50 Tips
- Warranty information
Nomad 13: The Nomad 13 dual solar panel has three outputs, a 78" cord with a 12 volt output to charge the included Sherpa 50 or power the included 12 volt car adapter (has a cigarette lighter type port), a 13" cord with a Solar plug for the Guide 10 Plus battery charger, and a USB type-A port. Multiple outputs can be used simultaneously; the available power is split between them. There is also a Chain Input so up to four Nomad 13s can be linked together to provide more power. Nine nylon loops allow you to easily hang/mount the solar panel.
Nomad 13 Specifications:
- Rated Wattage: 13 watts
- Solar Cell Type: mono-crystalline
- Open Circuit Voltage: 18-20 volts DC
- Efficiency: 17-18%
- Cell Area: 755 cm² (including the case, each panel is approximately 10-5/8"x8-3/4")
- Weight: 1.6 lbs
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 0°-120° F
- 12 Volt Port: 13-15 volts/1 amp (13 watts max, not regulated)
- Solar Port: 6.5 volts/1.1 amp (7 watts max, regulated)
- USB Port: 5 volts/1 amp (5 watts max, regulated)
- Approximate Charging Time: varies with weather
- Sherpa 50: 6-12 hours
- Typical Cell Phone/MP3 Player/GPS: 1-4 hours
- Width: 17-7/8"
- Height: 10-5/8"
- Depth: 1/4"
Sherpa 50: The Sherpa 50 portable recharger is a Lithium-ion (NMC) battery designed to charge or power 12 volt and USB powered devices, and laptop computers. The Sherpa 50 is charged using the included Nomad 13 solar panel or the included AC power supply. (It can also be charged in the car using an adapter available on Goal Zero's web site.) Individual switches control the main power, the 12 volt or laptop output (one or the other, both cannot be powered simultaneously), and the built-in flashlight. Another switch on the sidecar mounted AC inverter controls its output. The display shows remaining battery capacity in 20% increments.
Sherpa 50 Specifications:
- Battery Voltage Range: 9-13 volts (50 Wh total capacity)
- Weight: 1.1 lbs
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 32°-104° F
- Input: 15-25 volts (30 watts max)
- Laptop: 19 volts DC/5 amps (75 watts max; regulated)
- 12 Volt Port: 12 volts DC/6 amps (75 watts max; regulated)
- USB Port: female USB type-A Port; 5 volts/1.5 amp (7 watts max; regulated)
- Sidecar Port: 9-13 volts DC/10 amps (75 watts max; not regulated; for use with included AC inverter)
- AC Inverter: 110 volts AC (65 watts max; inverter is included and shipped installed)
- Fuse: 15 amp ATO automotive fuse
- Shelf Life: 6 months; if not used, the battery should still be recharged every 3-4 months
- Approximate Charging Time:
- Included Nomad 13: 6-12 hours
- AC Power Supply: 3 hours
- Width (without AC inverter): 4-1/2"
- Width (with AC inverter): 6-1/8"
- Height: 1-5/8"
- Depth: 5-1/4" (with nothing plugged in)
Sherpa 50 AC Inverter: The included Sherpa 50 AC inverter mounts to the side of the recharger, plugging into its sidecar port. A dedicated switch turns the AC output on/off. The output is a standard polarized 2-prong outlet. A third opening allows you to plug in a 3-prong plug, but the third prong makes no contact internally.
Sherpa 50 AC Inverter Specifications:
- Weight: 0.35 lbs/5.6 oz
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 32°-104° F
- Input: 9-13 volts/0-10 amps (100 watts max)
- Output: 110 volts AC (65 watts max)
Warranty: The warranty is 6 months on the Sherpa 50 battery and 1 year on the solar panel.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.