Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Streaming music player with 2TB storage drive and CD ripper (White)
Watch a product review
Bluesound Vault - Bluesound's free smartphone app lets you control Bluesound speakers in multiple rooms
Crutchfield: Bluesound Wireless Multi-Room Audio System
From Bluesound: App Walkthrough
From Bluesound: Living HiFi
Our take on the Bluesound Vault by Crutchfield's Tara W.
A streaming music system for the audio enthusiast
Enjoy high-end audio in more rooms of your home. While there are many streaming speakers in today's audio landscape, Bluesound's multi-room music system focuses on giving you the most from high-resolution audio files. The makers of NAD electronics and PSB speakers used their years of audio experience to create this line of multi-room audio gear for the discerning listener. And you can control the Bluesound system using a free app for smartphone or tablet.
Turn your CD collection into a bit-perfect digital music archive
If you've amassed a large collection of CDs, then the Vault was designed for you. This 2TB storage drive has a built-in CD slot, so you can copy your entire collection for easy access. It defaults to ripping bit-perfect digital copies of your CDs, so you'll hear every detail contained in the original versions. Plus, you can transfer other digital music files which you may have stored on various computers around the house, and keep them all on the Vault for easy access. Once you've loaded your collection, you'll be able to enjoy all of your music in any room with a Bluesound player. The Vault itself is also a Bluesound music player — connect it to your receiver, amplifier, or other audio system using its digital or analog outputs.
A wide variety of music options
Bluesound was designed to play just about any digital music you might have in your collection, including high-resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz. Access the music stored on your computer or a networked hard drive, or tap into Internet radio stations and online streaming services like Rdio™, Spotify®, TIDAL, and Rhapsody with the Bluesound app (subscription required for some services). You can even use the app to browse and download high-resolution music from high-res music sites such as HDtracks right to the Vault — no computer required. Each Bluesound player also features a USB input for playing files "locally" from a thumb drive or hard drive, so if a friend brings over their favorite album or playlist, you can listen to it through your system.
Create a high-resolution multi-room music system
Combine multiple Bluesound players to enjoy high-end sound throughout your home.
Control the system with a free app for your smartphone or tablet.
- Powernode: This amplified player connects to a pair of speakers. It may be small, but it's powerful enough to drive a pair of floor-standing speakers.
- Pulse: This all-in-one player is perfect for almost any room. It has built-in PSB speakers for great sound in a compact package.
- Node: This small player connects to an amplified system, like a bookshelf audio system or a home theater system.
Place a Pulse in your kitchen, attach a Node to your home audio system, and use the PowerNode to drive your high-end speakers.
Control in the palm of your hand
In addition to creating high-end music players, Bluesound also developed free apps for Apple® and Android™ so you can control the system easily with your portable device. Pull up the app on your smartphone or tablet and you can select songs and adjust volume. Play music in one room, all rooms, or different tracks in different spaces around your home.
The Absolute Sound's 2014 Product of the Year Awards: All-In-One System of the Year
The designers at NAD and PSB have come up with a brilliant solution to the problem of high-res, whole-house audio that combines superb sound reproduction with twenty-first-century connectivity.
— From The Absolute Sound January, 2015
Product performed as expected. Would recommend. I may purchase another for different locations.
d2000, east hampton, ny
What's in the Box:
- Streaming music player/Hard disc drive
- AC power supply (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- 6' AC power cord (120V)
- 6" AC power cord (240V)
- 6.5' Stereo RCA cable
- 6' Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Quick Setup Guide
- Safety Manual
- music storage device with slot-loading CD drive and 2TB internal hard drive
- communicates with other Bluesound players via your home network (wired or wireless)
- control the system with a free app for your smartphone, tablet, or computer (Android™, iOS®, Kindle Fire, Windows®, and Mac®)
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supported sample rates: 32kHz to 192kHz
- plays Internet radio stations from TuneIn Radio
- browse and download high-resolution music from HDtracks directly to the Vault
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through your Bluesound system via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription; firmware and app version 1.10.0 or higher)
- plays streaming audio from TIDAL, Rdio™, Rhapsody, and Murfie
- play music in multiple rooms when you add other Bluesound players
- top controls for volume and muting
- USB port for connecting a thumb drive with music files
- RCA stereo audio output
- optical digital output
- Ethernet port
- compatible with Windows® (XP or higher operating system)
- compatible with Mac®
- AC adapter included
- weight: 6.6 lbs.
- 11-1/2"W x 8-1/4"H x 10"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires smartphone or tablet with free Bluesound app for control of system playback
- requires high-speed Internet connection
Bluesound Vault Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Bluesound Vault (V500): The Bluesound Vault (V500) provides a convenient way to store and listen to your digital music collection. The Vault provides employs a CD-ripper and 2TB hard-drive to store you CD-Audio music files. It also offers a wired network connection and can act as a NAS drive for storage & playback of digital music files on your Windows or Mac computer. In addition, its network connection lets you access even more music from online music services, such as TuneIn and Rdio. There is even a direct USB input for connection of a USB mass storage class device that contains music files. All of this can be controlled from your Apple iOS or Android device using Bluesound's free control app.
Note: The Vault (V500) needs to be connected to your home's network and the internet in order to access music on your computer, Internet radio stations, and online streaming music services. A paid subscription may be required to access some streaming music or internet radio services. An internet connection is also required for software/hardware updates.
CD-Ripper w/ 2TB Hard-Drive: The Vault's slot-loading CD mechanism can rip an inserted Audio CD directly to its 2TB hard-drive. You can choose to rip your Audio CD music as MP3 or FLAC files.
- FLAC (recommended format): High quality compression designed specifically for CD backup purposes. Files are ripped at FLAC level 5 balancing compression and rip speed at full CD lossless levels of 44.1kHz/16-bits. The Vault can store between 4,000 to 5,000 CDs in this format
- MP3 (default format): Standard audio compression designed to keep bandwidth low with little degradation. Files are ripped at 320kbps, the highest level of sound quality available to MP3 format. The Vault can store between 16,000 to 20,000 CDs in this format.
- Both: For Hi-fidelity quality playback with the ability to export or download to a personal MP3 Player.
Wired Network Connection: The Bluesound Vault is fitted with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for a wired connection to your home's network and Internet provider. This network/internet connection allows you to use the Vault as external NAS drive for music on your Windows or Mac computer; plus stream TuneIn and Rdio online music services.
- Computer Audio: Thanks to its network connection and 2TB hard-drive, the Vault can act as a NAS drive for digital music stored on your network connected Microsoft Windows (XP/2000/Vista/7) PC or Apple Macintosh OS X computer. You are able to access, rip, and playback the digital audio files that are on your PC or computer via simple drag & drop commands. The device supports MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF music files with bit-rates of 16/24-bit and native sampling rates of 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192kHz.
- Online Music Services: The Vault (V500) lets you access select
online music services from its wired network connection.
- TuneIn: TuneIn is a free online music service that offers over 70,000 Internet radio stations; including music, sports, news, and entertainment. You can listen to local stations or discover new stations from around the world. You are able to search for music by genre (Adult Contemporary, Classical, Country, Reggae, etc.), location (continent and country), and language (English, French, Spanish, etc). You also get access to talk radio and podcasts. In addition, you can save your favorite Internet radio stations as "My Favorites".
- Rdio: Rdio is an online digital music with a catalog of 20 million songs and interruptions or advertisements. Rdio makes it easy to find what you're looking for, whether it's an artist, album, song, or a custom playlist. A $10.00 per-month Rdio subscription is required.
- Spotify Connect: Through Spotify Connect, you can enjoy over 20 million songs, easily streamed to the Bluesound device through your home network, either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet; with simple control on any iOS or Android device. Requires Spotify app and a premium subscription; firmware and app version 1.10.0 or higher.
USB (Type-A) Input: The Bluesound Vault (V500) features a USB (type-A) port to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive,or external hard-drive. The unit's USB port supports music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32. The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android devices.
Note: There is also a rear-panel mini-USB (type-B) port that is used for service purposes only (not for consumer use). Only authorized service personnel can access this USB port.
Free Control App for iOS & Android: You can download the free Bluesound Remote App from iTunes or GooglePlay in order to use your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.1+) device to control your digital music files stored in the Vault. You can also search for and listen to online music from TuneIn and rdio. In addition, you are able to create, edit, and retrieve your favorite music playlists. The Bluesound Remote App even provides artist/song/album information and Album Art. The remote app can be used in portrait or landscape mode. There are three main screens; the Center Screen which has the playback controls and source information, the Menu Screen which is swiped in from the left side, and the Players Screen which is swiped in from the right side. Simply pinch, swipe, and tap the screen of your iOS or Android device to make selections. If you have multiple Bluesound devices on the same network, you can use the Bluesound Remote App to control each of them separately. You are able to play the same music track or different music tracks at the same volume or different volume level.
Note: You can also download the free Bluesound Remote App onto your Windows (XP/2000/Vista/7) PC or Mac OSX computer.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Bluesound Vault contains both an analog RCA stereo output and optical (toslink) digital output to connect the device to your home audio system's integrated amplifier or AV receiver.
External Power Supply: The Bluesound Vault (V500) operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power supply and AC power cord.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60HZ, 1.5A
- Output: 12.0V - 5.0A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
Bluesound marks a collaboration between NAD and PSB to bring Hi-Fi into the wireless age. You can stream your hi-res digital music files over your home network.
Why did you buy this?
It is a replacement for an old fashioned pre-amp that gets me into both streaming and NAS storage [ Tom Dec 07, 2015 ]
5 questions already asked
We had a customer also email in this answer: As I write this I am listening to music on my Sonos Play5s being fed through a Bridge from the Vault. The Vault shows up as a NAS on my network, the Sonos app finds it and connects to it with no problem. The Sonos app can be a little confusing at first, however the Crutchfield rep helped me understand the connection settings and once connected I've had zero issues with the system ... no dropouts, no lockups, no problem at all, just load the music I want to hear into the queue, press play and I've got music. BTW, if you haven't decided on speakers yet, I can highly recommend the Play 5s, good balanced sound and even impressive volume for relatively small speakers. [ Jeff Aug 24, 2015 ] Staff
Yes, it has built in WIFI. However, since Bluesound uses high data rates for high fidelity, WIFI data rates may not be high enough. So, for reliable performance you should connect the Vault to you network using an Ethernet cable. [ Joseph Aug 20, 2015 ]
No the vault is only wired. [ Jean-Michel Aug 20, 2015 ]
Yes, but a direct connect is probably better. I have my unit connected via a netgear wi-fi extender (model EX6200). Here are some additional considerations. I had problems early on where the vault got onto a different subnet than my computer on the network and couldn't find my share for mp3s so I decided to move them to the vault for ease of use (was not a storage problem, I only have about 11K songs, most FLAC, and have over a terabyte unused). A tool like ipscan23 or netgear genie is helpful for troubleshooting. Every now and then, infrequently anyway, my network loses the vault, but a network reboot always works. I also have not spent much effort in investigating streaming yet as I have been focused on ripping the CD collection, so I can't tell you if there is a latency impact there. Hope that helps [ RANDY Aug 20, 2015 ]
Crutchfield recommended a Channel Master CM6104 to connect vault to the internet signal. Works like a charm. Is that what you mean by wireless bridge? [ dean Aug 20, 2015 ]
Yes. I am using a wireless bridge and it works fine, except that transfer times for downloading files or backing up the music folder are slower than they would be with a direct connection. [ David Aug 20, 2015 ]
The Vault requires a wired connection to your router. You can then access its library from your PC, smartphone, other Bluesound components etc. over WiFi. [ David Aug 20, 2015 ]
if your car stero has a usb input in the face of it you can geta dual ended us cable and hook it diretly to it if your stero supports it [ Craig A. May 21, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff May 12, 2014 ] Staff
The Vault has a USB port to connect an external drive for backing up the hard drive. Once the external drive is connected, you select the back-up function in the Bluesound app. It's a very smart thing to do. My first Vault died shortly after we had ripped around 600 CDs to its drive. The Vault was replaced and thankfully the back-up files restored my library. It takes a very long time to rip all those CDs. [ David Aug 20, 2015 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Apr 21, 2014 ] Staff
Yes. The Bluesound Vault rips the full CD as a .flac file which gives you the full sound quality of the CD. You connect the Vault to your receiver with a pair of RCA cables. To view and play the ripped CDs, you will need to set up/sync an iPad or other similar device. The details of each ripped CD will be visible as shared files on your computer (PC or Mac). Note: If you have CDs that you have compiled they may show up on the Vault as Unknown. I haven't figured out yet how to add information to the computer file and have it transferred to the iPad display. [ JOSEPH Apr 11, 2014 ]
Computer Audio: Thanks to its network connection and 1TB hard-drive, the Vault can act as a NAS drive for digital music stored on your network connected Microsoft Windows (XP/2000/Vista/7) PC or Apple Macintosh OS X computer. You are able to access, rip, and playback the digital audio files that are on your PC or computer via simple drag & drop commands. The device supports MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF music files with bit-rates of 16/24-bit and native sampling rates of 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192kHz. [ Jeff Jan 08, 2014 ] Staff