Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Pentax DA Star 16-50mm f/2.8 Lens
Weather-resistant, high-performance "standard" zoom lens for Pentax K-mount digital SLRs
Item # 815DA1650 | MFR # 21650
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pentax DA Star 16-50mm f/2.8 Lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Built for the road
Everyone needs a lens like this in their kit one that can weather the elements and get you crisp images wherever your subject takes you. The Pentax DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED/AL is the one lens you'll need when you're not sure what's next a dramatic landscape, a child's face out on the playground or a drenching rainstorm. With weather-resistant, dust-resistant construction, this lens is the perfect companion to the Pentax K-5 weather-resistant digital SLR. Between the two, you'll have a combo that's built for bringing home the elusive shot under challenging circumstances.
Plus, this lens isn't just rugged it's got optical talents as well. A fixed aperture of f/2.8 means it's ready for low-light opportunities. Extra-low dispersion and aspherical glass elements, plus special Pentax coatings, make your images as sharp and artifact-free as they can be. And the supersonic-motor autofocus is quiet, responsive, and accurate.
What's in the Box:
- smc Pentax-DA Star 16-50mm f/2.8ED AL [IF] SDM lens (with attached front and rear lens caps)
- PH-RBJ 77mm lens hood (installed on lens)
- Operating Manual
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Serial Number Card
- Pentax DA Star KAF2 16-50mm f/2.8 ED/AL standard zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 24.5-76.5mm
- compatible with Pentax K-mount digital SLR and compact system cameras, especially the weather-resistant Pentax K-5
- ED (extra-low dispersion) and aspherical glass lens elements correct chromatic aberration for excellent image quality and sharpness
- tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions
- SDM supersonic-motor autofocus system is smooth, quiet and fast
- constructed of 15 elements in 12 groups
- minimum focus distance: 11-15/16"
- minimum aperture: f22
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 3-15/16" long, 3-5/16" in diameter
- weight: 19.9 ounces
- supplied accessories: front and rear lens caps, lens hood, soft case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The high-performance smc Pentax-DA Star 16-50mm F2.8ED AL [IF] SDM lens is for wide angle to medium applications.
Weather Resistant: The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions.
Lens Mount: The lens has a KAF2-mount, and can fit Pentax D-SLR and interchangeable lens cameras with KAF, KAF2 and KAF3 mounts. This includes the Pentax K-5 and K-01 cameras.
SDM Focus System: The lens is equipped with a supersonic motor for achieving smooth and quiet autofocusing. It has a focus mode switch on the barrel for changing from autofocus to manual focus. The switch allows you to leave the camera in the autofocus mode, and change modes on the lens.
ED Glass: The lens has two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass lens elements and three aspherical elements to compensate for chromatic aberrations. The aspherical elements, ED glass, and original lens coatings offer superior contrast, clarity, and edge-to-edge sharpness.
Super Protect: The Pentax-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water, and grease to help keep the lens clean.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the PH-RBK 67mm lens hood for keeping unwanted light from entering the lens, and for protecting the front of the lens. It has a PL filter window which can be opened for facilitate the manipulation of the circular polarizing filter when the lens hood is attached. The hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage. When installed, the hood adds approximately 3-5/16" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 16-50mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 24.5-76.5mm
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups
- Mount Type: KAF2-mount
- Maximum Aperture: F2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F22
- Maximum Magnification: 0.21x
- Angle of View: 83°-31.5°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.98' (11.76")
- Lens Hood: PH-RBJ 77mm (included)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Diameter: 3.302"
- Length: 4.3" (4.748" w/caps)
- Weight: 19.9 ounces (21.2 oz. w/lens hood)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.