Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Pentax Q10 3X Zoom Lens Kit
Compact interchangeable lens hybrid camera with 3X zoom lens (Silver)
Item # 815Q10S | MFR # 12161
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pentax Q10 3X Zoom Lens Kit by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Licensed to thrill
Pentax has upped their ultra-compact, interchangeable-lens game with the Pentax Q10. This camera, which looks like something out of a 1960's spy thriller, claims faster autofocus, more impressive low-light capability, and quicker response time than its predecessor, the Pentax Q.
Ready in an instant
Small enough to fit in the palm of a medium-sized hand, the Pentax Q10 has the portability to be your on-call camera in a matter of seconds. The Pentax Q-mount lens system hosts a 3X zoom lens, with a 27.5-83.0mm effective focal range, so you can get in close. There are even more intriguing optional lenses available for the Q10, including two plastic toy lenses, for unique analog photographic effects that can't be imitated.
Smart and nimble
The 12.4-megapixel sensor has been improved from that of its predecessor. Its overall redesign includes new processing for better overall image quality and faster focusing. The camera is also well-stocked with image modes and creative filters that expand your creative palette, and once you come up with a combination of camera settings you like, you can store them as user favorites for instant recall when the right subject resurfaces.
Steady as a rock
Its secret-agent looks are durable too. A rugged polycarbonate body keeps the Q10 ready for action at a moment's notice, and the grip has been designed to provide a secure hold in all orientations. And while your circumstances might make the camera shaken, your images won't be stirred, thanks to the sensor-shift Shake Reduction system that eliminates shimmies from your hand-held photos.
What's in the Box:
- Camera body (black/silver) with attached body cap
- 02 Standard Zoom lens (with attached front and rear lens caps)
- D-LI68 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V/1000mAh)
- Battery charger D-BC68P (4.2V/600mA)
- Adjustable neck strap
- 5' I-USB7 USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- 6' AC power cable (non-polarized C7 connector)
- Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0 for Pentax CD-ROM
- Operating Manual
- Lens Operating Manual
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Camera Serial Number Card
- Lens Serial Number Card
- UL Note (for battery charger)
- "Do not return this product to your dealer" sheet
- 12.4-megapixel effective recording
- re-designed 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor features impressive low light sensitivity, low noise, quick response time and faster autofocus
- Pentax Q-mount is still the world's smallest interchangeable-lens system (as of early 2012)
- includes PENTAX 02 f/2.8-4.5 zoom lens (35mm equivalent: 27.5-83.0mm)
- 3" 460K-dot LCD with 170-degree viewing angle
- high-def, high-quality movie mode (1080p, 720p, 640 x 480p @ 30 frames per second) with H.264 compression
- available Q-to K-mount converter allows the Pentax Q to use K-mount lenses (at a 5.5x crop factor)
- polycarbonate body construction
- fits in the palm of a medium-sized hand
- compatible with specialty Q-mount lenses including "toy" wide-angle and telephoto models
- sensor-shift Shake and Dust Reduction system stabilizes shots and keeps sensor clean
- 5 frames-per-second burst mode shooting
- contrast-detection autofocus system for rapid, precise autofocusing
- 19 types of creative digital filters, including "Toy Camera"
- innovative retractable on-board flash deploys up and to the side, reducing red-eye
- face detection adjusts focus, exposure, and white balance for great-looking portraits
- In-camera HDR mode gives you outstanding detail in shadows and highlights by blending user-specified exposures
- hotshoe for external flash units
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with specialty Pentax Q-Mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 5 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds (electronic), 30-1/2,000 seconds (lens shutter), bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-6,400
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- inventive blur control mode lets you adjust background sharpness
- flash bracketing: up to 3 frames
- 21 preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in many different shooting environments
- external flash sync at 1/250 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: 12-bit RAW (DNG), JPG (EXIF 2.3), DCF 2.0 compliant
- still image aspect ratio options: 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1
- H.264 movie files in .mov wrapper (1920 x 1080 at 30 frames per second)
- accepts optional SD, high capacity SDHC, MultiMediaCard, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- A/V mini jack out
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-1/4"W x 2-5/16"H x 1-5/16"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 9.75 oz.
- rechargeable D-Li68 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- body mount cover
- hot shoe cover
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27.5-83mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.45|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Pentax Q10 is a tiny interchangeable lens camera with many high-end photographic features. It comes with the Pentax 02 Standard Zoom lens. It will accept other Pentax Q-mount lenses to give you a variety of shooting options. It has a lightweight, but sturdy, magnesium alloy body.
Compatible Lenses: The Q10 has a Pentax Q bayonet stainless steel mount. The Q-series lenses are compatible with the Pentax Q10 camera. The Q-series lenses include: 01 Standard Prime, 02 Standard Zoom, 03 Fish-eye, 04 Toy lens wide, 05 Toy lens telephoto, and the 06 Telephoto zoom lens. With the optional Adapter Q for K Mount, you can attach K-series lenses to the Q10.
Supplied Lens: This Pentax Q10 kit comes with the 02 Standard Zoom lens. The 02 has a focal length of 5-15mm, which is equivalent to 27.5-83mm in the 35mm format. It is ideal for wide to medium telephoto applications where zooming flexibility is required. Four extra-low dispersion (ED) aspherical lens elements keep chromatic aberrations to a minimum throughout the zoom range. The aperture range is F2.8-4.5 with a minimum aperture of F8.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The camera features a large, bright 3.0" LCD monitor for framing your shots and playing back recorded still images and movies. The monitor's 460,000-dot resolution gives you crystal clear images, and features approximately 100% field of view. The camera does not have a separate viewfinder, however, an optional external optical viewfinder (O-VF1) is available.
Image Sensor: The Q10 is equipped with a large, 12.76-megapixel 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor, which delivers high resolution image quality with accurate colors and low noise. It has 12.76 million total pixels and 12.4 million effective pixels. The sensor features the DR II Dust Removal function that shakes the sensor every time the camera is turned on and off.
Shake Reduction (SR): The Q10 is equipped with the Pentax Shake Reduction (SR) system, which uses a magnetic force to move the image sensor at high speeds, compensating for camera shake. The Shake Reduction function allows you to take pictures at approximately 4 steps slower shutter speed without risk of camera shake.
Recording Media: The camera can record still images and movies onto SD Memory Cards, SDHC Memory Cards, and SDXC Memory Cards.
Still Image Formats: The Q10 can shoot JPEG still images in 4 sizes in each of four aspect ratios: 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1. You can set the image quality level (compression ratio) for each size and aspect ratio, to Best, Better, or Good. In addition, uncompressed RAW images can be recorded using the full output of the CMOS sensor. The RAW files are recorded in the DNG (Digital Negative) format. These RAW images must be "developed" and converted into JPEG files using the RAW Development function in the camera or using the provided software. When the camera is set to RAW+, images in both JPEG and RAW formats are captured. Image sizes include:
|Aspect Ratio||Recorded Pixels|
|3:2 JPEG||4000 x 2664||3456 x 2304||2688 x 1792||1920 x 1280|
|4:3 JPEG||4000 x 3000||3456 x 2592||2688 x 2016||1920 x 1440|
|16:9 JPEG||4000 x 2248||3456 x 1944||2688 x 1512||1920 x 1080|
|1:1 JPEG||2992 x 2992||2592 x 2592||2016 x 2016||1440 x 1440|
|3:2 RAW||4000 x 3000|
Movie Recording: High Definition movies can be recorded in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format with monaural audio. You can choose from Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames per second, or 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. Standard def movies can also be recorded at 640 x 480 pixels (4:3) at 30 fps. The quality level can be set to Best, Better, or Good. You can record continuously up to 4 GB or 25 minutes, or until the memory card is full.
Focus Modes: You can set the focus mode to either AF (auto focus) or MF (manual focus). In Auto Focus mode, the camera automatically focuses on the subject when the shutter release button is pressed halfway. In Manual Focus mode, you can adjust the focus by turning the focus ring on the lens.
AF Assist Light: In Auto Focus mode, when the subject is in a dark location, the AF Assist Light automatically turns on when the shutter release button is pressed halfway. You can turn off the AF Assist light, if desired.
AF Methods: You can choose from the following five Auto Focus methods:
- Face Detection: Detects and tracks the faces of up to 12 people.
- Tracking: Tracks the subject in focus when shutter release button is pressed halfway.
- AF Select: Sets the focusing area to the desired area. You can set the focusing area size by using 1, 3, 5, 9, or all 25 focus areas.
- Select: Sets the focusing area by the number of pixels. (More detailed than AF Select)
- Spot: Sets the focusing area to a limited area at the center.
Drive Modes: The Q10 offers several options for shooting single and multiple images at once. You can choose from the following Drive Modes:
- Single Frame: Photos are taken one at a time with each press of the shutter release button.
- Continuous: Multiple photos are taken while the shutter release button is pressed fully. For 12M Best Quality images, up to approximately 5 frames can be taken continuously at a rate of 5 frames per second (high speed) or up to 100 frames at 1.5 fps (low speed).
- Self-Timer: A single photo is taken after approximately 12 seconds to allow the photographer to get into the picture. A 2-second self timer can be used to avoid camera shake when the shutter release button is pressed.
- Remote Control: Using the optional remote control, the shutter is released immediately after the shutter release button on the remote is pressed. A 3-second delay Remote Control setting is also available. When the camera is set to Continuous shooting, you can begin and end a series of shots by pressing the shutter release button on the remote. Pentax offers the optional F Remote Control or O-RC1 Waterproof Remote Control.
- Auto Bracketing: You can take three consecutive images at three different exposure levels when the shutter release button is pressed. Three images are saved with each released, one at standard exposure, one underexposed, and one overexposed. You can set the order of the exposures as desired. The bracket value can be set at +/- 3EV at 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV intervals. Auto Bracketing can be combined with Remote Control shooting if desired.
Metering: You can select the portion of the image sensor to use for measuring brightness and determining exposure:
- Multi-segment: The sensor meters the brightness in multiple zones (16).
- Center-weighted: Metering is weighted at the center of the sensor.
- Spot: The brightness is measured only within a limited area at the center of the sensor.
Shooting Modes: The top-mounted Mode Dial lets you set the desired Shooting Mode. You can select from the following:
- Auto Picture: The Auto Picture mode automatically selects the optimal mode for capturing the subject: Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, Blue Sky, and Forest.
- Scene Mode: The Scene Mode lets you choose from specific scenes: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, Blue Sky, Night Scene, Night Scene HDR, Night Snap, Food, Quick Macro, Pet, Kids, Forest, Surf & Snow, HDR1, Backlight Silhouette, Candlelight, Stage Lighting, and Museum.
- Blur Control Mode: Takes pictures while emphasizing a blur effect.
- Exposure Mode: You can choose from the following modes to change the shutter speed and aperture value: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual Exposure.
- Movie Mode: Records movies with sound.
Smart Effects: The Q10 offers several Smart Effects modes to achieve specific looks. The Smart Effects modes include: Brilliant Color, Unicolor Bold, Vintage Color, Cross Processing, Warm Fade, Tone Expansion, Bold Monochrome, Water Color, and Vibrant Color Enhance. You can also save some camera settings and retrieve them later from the Quick Dial as User 1, 2, or 3.
EV Compensation: You can deliberately overexpose or underexpose a picture using EV Compensation. The compensation value can be set between -3 and +3 EV. The step interval can be set at 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV.
White Balance: White Balance is a function for adjusting the color of an image so that white objects appear white. You can choose Automatic White Balance (AWB), or a preset White Balance depending upon the lighting source: Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent Light, Tungsten, Flash, CTE (Color Temperature Enhancement), or Manual.
ISO Sensitivity: You can set the sensitivity to suit the brightness of the surroundings. The sensitivity can be set to ISO AUTO or manually between ISO 100 and 6400 in 1/3 EV increments.
Flash: The Q10 has a built-in pop-up flash for use in low-light situations. The flash is effective from 27.5" to 16.4' at ISO200, and covers a wide angle 28° field of view. There are several Flash Modes to choose from:
- Auto Flash: the flash automatically fires based on brightness of the scene
- Auto + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires automatically with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Manual Flash: the flash fires when manually popped up; does not charge when retracted
- Manual + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires when popped up with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Slow-speed Sync: the flash fires during a slow shutter speed; lights foreground subject while maintaining a distant lit background
- Slow-speed Sync + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires during a slow shutter speed, with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Trailing Curtain Sync: the flash fires immediately before closing the shutter to capture moving objects as they leave a trail behind.
- Flash Off: the flash does not fire regardless of subject brightness
Hot Shoe: The camera has a top-mounted hot shoe for attaching an optional external flash unit, such as the AF540FGZ, AF360FGZ, AF200FG, or AF160FC.
Magnifying Images: Single images can be magnified up to 16 times in playback mode. Using the E-dial, the image is enlarged 1.2x to 16x in 16 steps. While the image is magnified, you can use the 4-way controller to move around in the magnified area.
Slide Show: The Pentax Q10 allows you to play back still images one at a time in slide show fashion. You can adjust the interval (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, or 30 sec) and the screen effects (fade, wipe, shrink, no effect).
Thumbnail: You can display multiple thumbnail images on the LCD monitor. You can choose the number of images to be displayed in the monitor: 4, 9, 20, 42, or 90. Images can also be displayed by folder or in a calendar filmstrip.
Image Editing: The Playback Mode Palette lets you perform playback and editing functions on recorded images and movies. Some of the functions include: Image rotation, Digital Filter, Red-eye Edit, Resize, Cropping, Index, Protect, Slideshow, Save Cross Processing, RAW development, Movie editing, and DPOF.
HDMI: The Q10 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A Micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required (sold separately). You can set the HDMI output resolution to 1080i, 720p, 480p (NTSC), 576p (PAL), or Auto, corresponding to the maximum resolution of the AV device.
PC/AV: The proprietary PC/AV terminal can be used to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied I-USB7 cable. The terminal is USB 2.0 High-Speed compatible. You can also connect the camera to a TV using an optional I-AVC7 AV cable. The cable has composite video and mono RCA audio plugs. The AV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
Lithium-Ion Battery: The Pentax Q10 is powered by the D-LI68 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V / 1000mAh). The battery charges in approximately 115 minutes using the supplied D-BC68P battery charger. An optional AC adapter kit (K-AC115) is available from the manufacturer for connecting the camera to household current, if desired. The image storage capacity with a fully charged battery is as follows:
|Battery||Temperature||Normal Shooting||Flash Photography||Playback Time|
|50% Use||100% Use|
|D-LI68||73°F (23°C)||270 images||250 images||240 images||160 minutes|
SILKYPIX Developer Studio: The Q10 comes with SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 software on CD-ROM. With the software, you can develop RAW files, adjust the color of the images and other settings, and save the new images in JPEG or TIFF format.
Compatible Operating Systems: The SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 software is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
- Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit)
- Windows XP (SP3 or later, 32-bit Home/Pro)
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.