Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Pentax Optio WG-2
Tough style 16-megapixel waterproof digital camera with 5X optical zoom (Black)
Item # 815WG2K | MFR # 15471
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pentax Optio WG-2 by Crutchfield's Meredith Krebs
When you plan to be tough on your camera
When you know you're going to be rough with your camera, it's good to know your camera can take it. The Pentax Optio WG-2 is shockproof up to 5 feet, crushproof up to 220 lbs., waterproof up to 40 feet, dustproof, and freezeproof down to 14°F. It can pretty much take whatever you're dishing out on your latest snowboarding, diving, or rock climbing adventure, which mean you can bring back photos and movies to share your experiences with the world.
Built-in macro lights for super-close subjects
The WG-2 has six tiny LEDs mounted around the lens that light up when put the camera in "Digital Microscope" mode to take a super macro shot as close as 1 cm away. This helps when you're photographing a fossil or the texture of bark on a tree, giving the surface even light so you can see all the details. You can also switch these lights on and off manually for adding supplemental light to just about any shot you want.
Great photos and videos, no matter what the weather
A 16-megapixel backlit CMOS sensor gives you sharp, detailed photos, even when lighting conditions are less than ideal. Pentax shake reduction helps keep your photos and videos blur-free when you're shooting handheld. And if you decide to record your friend's latest stunt on video, just switch over to movie mode to capture your latest stunt in 1080p full HD video.
Overall, a very impressive camera. I've mainly used mine underwater and am very pleased with it, even able to use the functions with gloves on.
Geo. S, Dallas, TX
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- D-LI92 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.7V/925mAh/3.5Wh)
- D-BC92 battery charger (4.2V/700mA)
- 6' AC power cable (non-polarized C7 connector)
- 59" I-USB7 cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- O-MS1 Macro stand
- O-ST125 Carabiner strap
- MediaImpression 3.5 for PENTAX software on CD-ROM
- Operating Manual
- Quick Guide
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Serial Number Card
- "Do not return this product to your dealer" sheet
- 16-megapixel (effective) CMOS image sensor
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 5X optical zoom (7.2X digital zoom/36X total zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 28-140mm
- 3" LCD screen
- tough enclosure is:
- waterproof up to 40-ft.,
- shockproof up to 5-ft.,
- freezeproof down to 14°F,
- crushproof up to 220 LBF (pound-force)
- and dustproof
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- digital image stabilization minimizes blur caused by a shaky hand
- macro lighting in digital microscope mode uses 6 LEDs for subjects as close as 1 cm
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface (USB cable included)
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and charger included
- 5-1/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight (without battery and media): 6.1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pentax Optio WG-2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-140mm|
|Internal Memory||88.2 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Optio WG-2 is Pentax's 13th generation waterproof digital camera, and is designed to withstand almost any environment.
Rugged Design: The WG-2's rugged body is designed to withstand the following extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: waterproof to a depth of 40 feet for 2 hours
- Shockproof: shockproof to protect from drops of up to 5 feet
- Crushproof: crushproof to withstand weights of up to 220 LBF (pound-force)
- Coldproof: coldproof to temperatures of 14°F (-10°C)
- Dustproof: protects camera from dry, dusty environments
3.0" LCD Monitor: The camera features a large, bright 3.0" LCD monitor for framing your shots and playing back recorded still images and movies. The monitor's 460,000-dot resolution gives you crystal clear images, and features a wide viewing angle. The camera does not have a separate viewfinder.
Image Sensor: The Optio WG-2 is equipped with a 16-megapixel 1/2.3 CMOS image sensor, which delivers high resolution image quality with accurate colors and low noise. It has 16.79 million total pixels and 16.0 million effective pixels.
Lens: The WG-2 has a 5x optical zoom, F3.5-5.5 lens with a focal length of 5-25mm, which is equivalent to 28-140mm in 35mm photography.
Intelligent/Digital Zoom: Beyond the 5x optical zoom, the camera has an intelligent zoom of 7.5x at 7M image size up to 36x at VGA. For larger image sizes, the digital zoom will give you a total zoom value of 36x.
Recording Media: The camera can record still images and movies onto SD Memory Cards, SDHC Memory Cards, and SDXC Memory Cards. In addition, the camera has a built-in memory of approximately 88.2 MB which will store images when no card is inserted. You can copy images and sound files from the built-in memory to the SD Memory card, or vice versa, at any time.
Still Image Formats: The Optio WG-2 can shoot JPEG still images in three aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1. You can set the image quality level (compression ratio) for each size and aspect ratio, to Best, Better, or Good. Image sizes include:
|Aspect Ratio||Recorded Pixels|
|4:3||4608 x 3456||3072 x 2304||2592 x 1944||2048 x 1536|
|1280 x 960||1024 x 768||640 x 480|
|16:9||4608 x 2592||3072 x 1728||2592 x 1464||1920 x 1080|
|1:1||3456 x 3456|
Movie Recording: High Definition movies can be recorded in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format. You can choose from Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames per second, or 1280 x 720 at 60 or 30 fps. Standard def movies can also be recorded at 640 x 480 pixels (4:3) at 30 fps.
Sound Recording Modes: You can record monaural sound using the built-in microphone on the front of the camera. Sound is recorded in WAV format. In addition, you can add a voice memo to your still pictures.
Focus Modes: The Optio WG-2 offers six focus modes:
- Standard AF: When the distance to the subject is approximately 20" to infinity, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Macro: When the subject is 4"-24" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- 1cm Macro: When the subject is 0.4" to 12" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Pan Focus: The entire picture, from front to back, is focused. This mode is handy when you ask someone to take pictures for you, or taking pictures of scenery through a window of a car or train.
- Infinity: This mode is used for taking distant objects. (Flash is set to Off)
- Manual Focus: This mode lets you set the focus manually, using the four-way controller.
Macro Lights: The WG-2 features six white LEDs mounted around the lens that can be used in a number of ways. They can be turned on manually to add additional light to the subject, or to use as a temporary supplemental light. They automatically light when the camera is in Digital Microscope mode.
AF-Area Modes: You can set the range of the Auto Focus Area (AF Area) to one of three options: Multiple (normal AF area), Spot (small AF area), or Tracking (AF area moves with subject).
Drive Modes: The Optio WG-2 offers several options for shooting single and multiple images at once. You can choose from the following Drive Modes:
- Single Frame: Photos are taken one at a time with each press of the shutter release button.
- Continuous/Burst: Photos are taken continuously as long as the shutter release button is pressed. In Continuous Shooting Mode, photos are taken at up to the highest resolution at approximately 1 frame per second until the shutter release button is released or the memory is full. In Burst Shooting mode, up to 30 frames at 5M (2592 x 1944) or 4M/16:9 (2592 x 1464) resolution are taken at approximately 10 frames per second.
- Self-Timer: A single photo is taken after approximately 10 seconds to allow the photographer to get into the picture. A 2-second self timer can be used to avoid camera shake when the shutter release button is pressed.
- Remote Control: Using the optional remote control, the shutter is released immediately after the shutter release button on the remote is pressed. A 3-second delay Remote Control setting is also available. Pentax offers the optional Remote Control F, Remote Control E, or Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1.
- Auto Bracketing: You can take three consecutive images at three different exposure levels when the shutter release button is pressed once. Three images are saved with each release, one at standard exposure, one underexposed by 1.0 EV, and one overexposed by 1.0 EV.
Metering: You can select the portion of the image sensor to use for measuring brightness and determining exposure:
- Multi-segment: The sensor meters the brightness in 256 zones.
- Center-weighted: Metering is taken of the entire image, with the center of the image having more influence on the exposure.
- Spot: The brightness is measured only within a limited area at the center of the image.
Shooting Modes: The WG-2 has a variety of shooting modes that let you take pictures or record movies and sound in different situations simply by choosing the right mode for the particular situation from the Capture Mode Palette. You can select from the following:
|Program||Night Scene||Handheld Night Snap||Movie|
|Underwater||Underwater Movie||Digital Microscope||Landscape|
|Flower||Portrait||Interval Shot||Interval Movie|
|High Speed Movie||Digital SR||Surf & Snow||Kids|
|Night Scene Portrait||Text||Food|
|Digital Wide||Digital Panorama||Frame Composite||Report|
|Auto Picture: The Auto Picture mode automatically selects the optimal mode for capturing the subject: Standard, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Sport, Candlelight, Blue Sky, Portrait Blue Sky, Portrait Backlight, Sunset, Portrait Sunset, Group Photograph, and Text.|
EV Compensation: You can deliberately overexpose or underexpose a picture using EV Compensation. The compensation value can be set between -2 and +2 EV in 1/3 EV intervals.
Pentax Shake Reduction: The Optio WG-2 offers three types of shake reduction to ensure sharp, blur-free images and videos, even in dim lighting: Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie.
White Balance: White Balance is a function for adjusting the color of an image so that white objects appear white. You can choose Automatic White Balance (AWB), or a preset White Balance depending upon the lighting source: Daylight, Shade, Fluorescent Light, Tungsten Light, or Manual.
ISO Sensitivity: You can set the sensitivity to suit the brightness of the surroundings. The sensitivity can be set to ISO AUTO or manually to ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400. The ISO Auto can be set to a range of 125-200, 125-400, 125-800, 125-1600, 125-3200, or 125-6400.
Flash: The WG-2 has a built-in flash for use in low-light situations. There are several Flash Modes to choose from:
- Auto Flash: the flash automatically fires based on brightness of the scene
- Auto + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires automatically with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash On: the flash fires regardless of the brightness
- Manual + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires regardless of the brightness with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash Off: the flash does not fire regardless of subject brightness
Magnifying Images: Single images can be magnified up to 10 times in playback mode. You can gradually magnify the image in steps starting at 1.1x. The Quick Zoom feature automatically magnifies the image at 10x. While the image is magnified, you can use the 4-way controller to move around in the magnified area.
Slide Show: The Pentax Optio WG-2 allows you to play back still images one at a time in slide show fashion. You can adjust the interval (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, or 30 sec) and the screen effects (fade, wipe, checker, random, or no effect). A sound effect can be added during slide transitions, if desired.
Thumbnail: You can display multiple thumbnail images on the LCD monitor. You can choose the number of images to be displayed in the monitor: 6 or 12. Images can also be displayed by folder or in a calendar display.
Image Editing: The Playback Mode Palette lets you perform playback and editing functions on recorded images and movies. Some of the functions include: Image rotation, Small Face Filter, Ink Rubbing Filter, Digital Filter, Resize, Cropping, Index, Protect, Voice Memo, Red-eye Compensation, Slideshow, Movie editing, and DPOF.
HDMI: The Optio WG-2 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A Micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required (sold separately). You can set the HDMI output resolution to 1080i, 720p, 480p (NTSC), 576p (PAL), or Auto, corresponding to the maximum resolution of the AV device.
PC/AV: The proprietary PC/AV terminal can be used to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied I-USB7 cable. The terminal is USB 2.0 High-Speed compatible. You can also connect the camera to a TV using an optional I-AVC7 AV cable. The cable has composite video and mono RCA audio plugs. The AV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
Lithium-Ion Battery: The Pentax Optio WG-2 is powered by the D-LI92 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V / 925mAh / 3.5Wh). The battery charges in approximately 120 minutes using the supplied D-BC92 battery charger. An optional AC adapter kit (K-AC117) is available from the manufacturer for connecting the camera to household current, if desired. The recording capacity with a fully charged battery is as follows:
|Normal Shooting||Movie Recording||Sound Recording||Playback Time|
|260 images||70 minutes||270 minutes||240 minutes|
MediaImpression 3.5: The Optio WG-2 comes with MediaImpression 3.5 software for Pentax on CD-ROM. With the software, view, manage, and edit the images and movies.
Compatible Operating Systems: The MediaImpression 3.5 software for Pentax is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.