Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Tough-style 16-megapixel digital camera with 4X optical zoom (Orange)
Item # 815WG3D | MFR # 12695
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pentax WG-3 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Ready for adventure
Why should the fish get to have all the fun underwater? Take the Pentax WG-3 below the surface and discover a whole new world of subject matter for your photos. It's waterproof to depths of 45 feet, so it's great in the ocean, the lake, the pool, or the rain. If water is not your thing, take it into extreme conditions on the trail like freezing temperatures, dirt, and mud. The WG-3 is freezeproof, shockproof, crushproof, and dustproof, so you can document your adventures without worrying about whether your camera is up to the challenge. The best photos don't always happen in perfect conditions — the WG-3 is tough enough to follow you into the elements so all the great shots are always within reach.
A top low-light performer
Ever try to get so close to your subject that your camera ends up blocking the light? That's why the WG-3 has six LED lights around the lens barrel. When you're going in super-close for a macro shot — as close as 1cm away — the LEDs light up and illuminate your subject so you get a clear shot with plenty of detail and color. For other types of shooting, the lens features a wide f/2 maximum aperture, so you'll capture plenty of light. Combined with the backlit CMOS sensor, it's perfect for challenging underwater shots or photographing action on the slopes.
Rugged design for rugged use
The WG-3 doesn't look like an ordinary camera because it isn't. It's tougher than most, with rugged styling to stand up to wear and tear. It also comes with a carabiner strap you can clip to your backpack. It's durable enough to hang on without a case, so you'll have quick access for shots of stunning views while hiking or climbing.
The WG-3 is tough enough to hang on your backpack, no case required. (shown in Orange)
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (orange)
- D-LI92 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 925mAh 3.5Wh)
- D-PA135 AC adapter (5V 1A)
- 59" I-USB7 cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- O-MS2 Macro stand
- O-ST135 Carabiner strap
- MediaImpression software on CD-ROM
- Operating Manual
- Quick Guide
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Serial Number Card
- "Do not return this product to your dealer" sheet
- 16-megapixel effective recording backlit CMOS sensor
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 4X optical zoom (7.2X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 25-100mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- waterproof to depths of 45 feet
- shockproof up to 6.6 feet
- freezeproof to 14° F
- crushproof for up to 220 lbs. of pressure
- lens has f/2.0 maximum aperture at wide angle for excellent light gathering underwater
- 6 LED macro lights around lens barrel provide lighting for subjects as close as 1cm
- sensor shift image stabilization minimizes blur from shaky hands
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p/30p resolution)
- record high-speed video for high-quality slow-motion playback
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 6400) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- Face Detection recognizes up to 32 faces with smile capture and blink detection for improved portraits
- HDR mode creates even lighting throughout a photo by snapping and combining multiple shots with different exposure levels (3 frames)
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-15/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-5/16"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 8.1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lithium-ion rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- USB cable
- wrist strap with carabiner
- macro stand
- software CD-ROM
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-100mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1020/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The WG-3 is Pentax's 15th generation "ruggedized" digital camera, and is designed to withstand almost any environment.
Rugged Design: The WG-3's rugged body is designed to withstand the following extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: waterproof to a depth of 45 feet for 2 hours
- Shockproof: shockproof to protect from drops of up to 6.6 feet
- Crushproof: crushproof to withstand weights of up to 220 LBF (pound-force)
- Coldproof: coldproof to temperatures of 14°F (-10°C)
- Dustproof: protects camera from dry, dusty environments
3.0" LCD Monitor: The camera features a large, bright 3.0" LCD monitor for framing your shots and playing back recorded still images and movies. The monitor's 460,000-dot resolution gives you crystal clear images, and features a wide 170° viewing angle. The camera does not have a separate viewfinder.
Image Sensor: The WG-3 is equipped with a 16-megapixel 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor, which delivers high resolution image quality with accurate colors and low noise. It has 16.79 million total pixels and 16.0 million effective pixels.
Lens: The WG-3 has a 4x optical zoom, F2.0-4.9 lens with a focal length of 4.5-18mm, which is equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm photography.
Intelligent/Digital Zoom: Beyond the 4x optical zoom, the camera has an intelligent zoom of 6x at 7M image size up to 28.8x at VGA. For larger image sizes, the digital zoom will give you a total zoom value of 28.8x.
Recording Media: The camera can record still images and movies onto SD Memory Cards, SDHC Memory Cards, and SDXC Memory Cards. In addition, the camera has a built-in memory of approximately 70 MB which will store images when no card is inserted. You can copy images and sound files from the built-in memory to the SD Memory card, or vice versa, at any time.
Still Image Formats: The WG-3 can shoot JPEG still images in three aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1. You can set the image quality level (compression ratio) for each size and aspect ratio, to Best, Better, or Good. Image sizes include:
|16M: 4608 x 3456
7M: 3072 x 2304
5M: 2592 x 1944
3M: 2048 x 1536
1024: 1024 x 768
VGA: 640 x 480
|12M: 4608 x 2592
5M: 3072 x 1728
4M: 2592 x 1464
2M: 1920 x 1080
|12M: 3456 x 3456
Movie Recording: High Definition movies can be recorded in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format. You can choose from Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames per second, or 1280 x 720 at 60 or 30 fps.
Focus Modes: The WG-3 offers six focus modes:
- Standard AF: When the distance to the subject is approximately 15.75" to infinity, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Macro: When the subject is 4"-20" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- 1cm Macro: When the subject is 0.4" to 12" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Pan Focus: The entire picture, from front to back, is focused. This mode is handy when you ask someone to take pictures for you, or taking pictures of scenery through a window of a car or train.
- Infinity: This mode is used for taking distant objects. (Flash is set to Off)
- Manual Focus: This mode lets you set the focus manually, using the four-way controller.
Macro Lights: The WG-3 features six white LEDs mounted around the lens that can be used in a number of ways. They can be turned on manually to add additional light to the subject, or to use as a temporary supplemental light. They automatically light when the camera is in Digital Microscope mode.
AF-Area Modes: You can set the range of the Auto Focus Area (AF Area) to one of three options: Multiple (normal AF area), Spot (small AF area), or Automatic Tracking (AF area moves with subject).
Drive Modes: The WG-3 offers several options for shooting single and multiple images at once. You can choose from the following Drive Modes:
- Single Frame: Photos are taken one at a time with each press of the shutter release button.
- Continuous/Burst: Photos are taken continuously as long as the shutter release button is pressed. In Continuous Shooting Mode, up to 60 photos are taken at 16M (4:3)resolution at approximately 1.5 frames per second, or up to 78 frames @ 1.7 fps at 12M (16:9). In Burst Shooting mode, up to 30 frames can be taken at 5M (4:3) at 12 fps, or 4M (16:9) at 14 fps.
- Interval Shot: The Interval mode lets you take 2 to 1000 shots at intervals of 10 seconds to 99 minutes apart. You can also set a delay time for the first shot of up to 24 hours.
- Self-Timer: A single photo is taken after approximately 10 seconds to allow the photographer to get into the picture. A 2-second self timer can be used to avoid camera shake when the shutter release button is pressed.
- Remote Control: Using the optional remote control, the shutter is released immediately after the shutter release button on the remote is pressed. A 3-second delay Remote Control setting is also available. Pentax offers the optional Remote Control F, Remote Control E, or Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1.
- Auto Bracketing: You can take three consecutive images at three different exposure levels when the shutter release button is pressed once. Three images are saved with each release, one at standard exposure, one underexposed by 1.0 EV, and one overexposed by 1.0 EV.
Metering: You can select the portion of the image sensor to use for measuring brightness and determining exposure:
- Multi-segment: The sensor meters the brightness in 256 zones.
- Center-weighted: Metering is taken of the entire image, with the center of the image having more influence on the exposure.
- Spot: The brightness is measured only within a limited area at the center of the image.
Shooting Modes: The WG-3 has a variety of shooting modes that let you take pictures or record movies and sound in different situations simply by choosing the right mode for the particular situation from the Capture Mode Palette. You can select from the following:
|Program||HDR||Handheld Night Snap||Movie|
|Underwater||Underwater Movie||Digital Microscope||Landscape|
|Flower||Portrait||Interval Shot||Interval Movie|
|High Speed Movie||Time Lapse Movie||1-cm Macro Movie||Digital SR|
|Surf & Snow||Kids||Pet||Sport|
|Night Scene||Night Scene Portrait||Fireworks|
|Food||Digital Wide||Digital Panorama||Report|
|Auto Picture: The Auto Picture mode automatically selects the optimal mode for capturing the subject: Standard, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Sport, Candlelight, Blue Sky, Portrait Blue Sky, Portrait Backlight, Sunset, Portrait Sunset, Group Photograph, and Text.|
EV Compensation: You can deliberately overexpose or underexpose a picture using EV Compensation. The compensation value can be set between -2 and +2 EV in 1/3 EV intervals.,
Shake Reduction: The WG-3 offers three types of shake reduction to ensure sharp, blur-free images and videos, even in dim lighting: Sensor Shift (optical), Dual (optical and electronic), and off.
White Balance: White Balance is a function for adjusting the color of an image so that white objects appear white. You can choose Automatic White Balance (AWB), or a preset White Balance depending upon the lighting source: Daylight, Shade, Daylight Colors Fluorescent, Daylight White Fluorescent, White Light Fluorescent, Tungsten Light, or Manual.
ISO Sensitivity: You can set the sensitivity to suit the brightness of the surroundings. The sensitivity can be set to ISO AUTO or manually to ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400. The ISO Auto can be set to a range of 125-200, 125-400, 125-800, 125-1600, 125-3200, or 125-6400.
Flash: The WG-3 has a built-in flash for use in low-light situations. There are several Flash Modes to choose from:
- Auto Flash: the flash automatically fires based on brightness of the scene
- Auto + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires automatically with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash On: the flash fires regardless of the brightness
- Flash On + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires regardless of the brightness with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash Off: the flash does not fire regardless of subject brightness
Magnifying Images: Single images can be magnified up to 10 times in playback mode. You can gradually magnify the image in steps starting at 1.1x. The Quick Zoom feature automatically magnifies the image at 10x. While the image is magnified, you can use the 4-way controller to move around in the magnified area.
Slide Show: The Pentax WG-3 allows you to play back still images one at a time in slide show fashion. You can adjust the interval (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, or 30 sec) and the screen effects (fade, wipe, checker, random, or no effect). A sound effect can be added during slide transitions, if desired.
Thumbnail: You can display multiple thumbnail images on the LCD monitor. You can choose the number of images to be displayed in the monitor: 6 or 12. Images can also be displayed by folder or in a calendar display.
Image Editing: The Playback Mode Palette lets you perform playback and editing functions on recorded images and movies. Some of the functions include: Image rotation, Small Face Filter, Ink Rubbing Filter, Collage, Digital Filter, HDR Filter, Original Frame, Resize, Cropping, Image Copy, Protect, Red-eye Edit, Slideshow, and DPOF.
HDMI: The WG-3 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A Micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required (sold separately). You can set the HDMI output resolution to 1080i, 720p, 480p (NTSC), 576p (PAL), or Auto, corresponding to the maximum resolution of the AV device.
PC/AV: The proprietary PC/AV terminal can be used to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied I-USB7 cable. The terminal is USB 2.0 High-Speed compatible. You can also connect the camera to a TV using an optional I-AVC7 AV cable. The cable has composite video and mono RCA audio plugs. The AV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
Lithium-Ion Battery: The Pentax WG-3 is powered by the D-LI92 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V / 925mAh / 3.5Wh). The battery charges in approximately 180 minutes using the supplied D-PA135 AC adapter. The recording capacity with a fully charged battery is as follows:
|Normal Shooting||Movie Recording||Playback Time|
|240 images||65 minutes||200 minutes|
MediaImpression 3.6.2 LE(Windows) / 2.2 LE (Macintosh): The WG-3 comes with MediaImpression software for Pentax on CD-ROM. With the software, view, manage, and edit the images and movies.
Compatible Operating Systems: The MediaImpression software for Pentax is compatible with the following operating systems:
- MediaImpression 3.6.2 LE (Windows):
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP (SP3)
- MediaImpression 2.2 LE (Macintosh): Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.