16-channel network video recorder for surveillance systems
Our take on the ClearView PhoenixPlus-16 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
View and record surveillance footage from multiple cameras
The ClearView PhoenixPlus-16 is a versatile network video recorder that can monitor, control, and record feeds from up to 16 security cameras (not included). Dual SATA ports let you add up to 8TB of additional storage. You can set it to record at a certain time of day, trigger it remotely, or set up motion detection alerts so you get a warning when something's up.
- records video for up to 16 surveillance cameras (not included)
- 2TB internal storage included
- up to 200Mbps incoming bandwidth
- simultaneous video output to HDMI and VGA
- supports 1080p high-def recording and playback
- synchronous real-time playback
- selectable record modes: Manual, Schedule (Continuous, MD, Alarm)
- supports 3D intelligent positioning with PTZ cameras
- fast dual-core internal processor
Connections and Dimensions:
- 16 PoE (power over Ethernet) ports
- dual SATA ports let you connect hard drives for up to 8TB added storage
- front USB 2.0 port, rear USB 3.0 port
- 14-3/4"W x 2-1/16"H x 12-7/8"D
- weight: 5.5 lbs.
- warranty: 7 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- PhoenixPlus-16 Network Video Recorder (NVR) with a built-in 2 TB HDD
- 58" AC power cord (IEC 3-prong)
- 79" Ethernet cable (RJ-45 plugs on both ends)
- Optical mouse with attached 56" USB cable (Type A USB plug)
- Two 6-conductor Euro connectors
- Two 10" eSATA cables
- 9" SATA power Y-cable
- Ten M3 x 4mm HDD screws
- CD-ROM containing Quick Start Guide and User Guide
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The ClearView PhoenixPlus-16 is a 16-channel, high-performance NVR (network video recorder) with a built-in 2 TB HDD (hard disk drive). The NVR supports a maximum of 16 channels of D1 or 720p video, 8 channels of 1080p video, or four 8MP IP cameras. The main stream bandwidth supports a maximum of 200 Mbps. The PhoenixPlus-16 also supports the new H.265 codec. The NVR has a network connection (RJ-45), a VGA port, two USB ports (including a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port), and an HDMI port to let you monitor the system in real time. This system is ideal for use in home or retail settings.
Hard Drive Capacity: The PhoenixPlus-16 NVR includes two built-in SATA ports for installing hard disk drives (HDDs) for storing your video recordings. The ports will support SATA HDDs of up to 8 TB. A 2 TB HDD installed in the NVR.
Operating System: The PhoenixPlus-16 has a Dual-core processor with an embedded LINUX operating system to maintain stable operation.
H.265: The new H.265 High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) standard goes beyond the capabilities of H.264, offering the same high-quality video as H.264, but at much lower bit rates, resulting in smaller file sizes. Its advanced coding techniques also supports substantially higher video resolution, including 4K UHD and higher, at the same bit rates. The new H.265 standard (sometimes referred to as H.264+) is supported by the new ClearView IPB-series and IPD-series cameras.
Digital Watermark: The NVR will allow you to add a digital watermark to verify the video has been tampered with or not. You must enable the watermark, and select watermark bitstream, watermark mode, or watermark character. The default character is "DigitalCCTV," but you can modify it with a custom watermark of up to 85 characters.
Recording: The PhoenixPlus-16 NVR lets you monitor and record video from up to 8 remotely-mounted cameras. The unit also has a single RCA audio input for use with an optional microphone. You can set up the NVR to perform motion detection recording, scheduled recording, alarm recording, and manual recording.
Split Monitoring: You can set up the system to view all 16 cameras at the same time, or any 9, 8, or 4 cameras simultaneously, or a single camera at once. The NVR will simultaneously output 16 channels of D1 or 720p video, 8 channels of 1080p video, 4 channels of 3M video, or 2 channels of 5M video.
Snapshot: The NVR can record a photo of incoming video at any time, or record a series of photos at a set interval. There are two snapshot modes: regular mode, which you set ahead of time, and trigger mode, which occurs when motion is detected or an alarm is activated. The image size is the same as the main stream of video, and the quality can be set to one of six levels. If you take photos at an interval, you can choose the frequency between 1 and 7 seconds.
Privacy Masking: If there are areas in the camera's view that you do not wish to show, you can use privacy masking to obscure those areas. Up to 4 rectangular zones per camera can be selected for privacy masking.
Pan Tilt Zoom: When PTZ-capable cameras are connected, you can set up each camera to pan and tilt up/down/left/right in a constant pattern (tour), or when an alarm is triggered. You can also control the panning speed, zoom, focus, iris, and 3D intelligent positioning. Two RS-485 communication ports are provided for connecting the control leads for your PTZ cameras.
Network Operation: The PhoenixPlus-16 supports real-time monitoring via a network connection. You will be able to monitor on a PC as a web viewer, as part of a CMS (central management system), or on a smartphone app (iPhone, iPad, Android, or Windows Phone). In addition, you can perform video recording searches remotely, and control the pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) action on compatible cameras.
Video Playback: When you are ready to play back recordings, you can search by time, type, or channel. Videos can be played back at normal speed, fast play, slow play, manual frame-by-frame playback, and reverse play. You can switch to the previous or next file, or any file in the current play list. If there are files from another channel recorded at the same time, you can immediately switch to that file. All channel synchronous real time playback is also available. In continuous play mode, the next file automatically plays when the current file ends.
Backup: The PhoenixPlus-16 allows you to backup your HDD via the provided USB port. You can use a flash drive, portable HDD, or a disk burner. You can also perform backup to the cloud via network download for off-site storage. The rear USB port is SuperSpeed USB 3.0 compliant for lightning-fast backups.
Connections: The PhoenixPlus-16 NVR has the following connections:
- Front Panel: USB 2.0 port (Type A) for connecting supplied optical mouse or USB 2.0 storage device
- Rear Panel:
- Ground Screw
- Mic In: RCA
- Mic Out: RCA (supports two-way talk)
- PoE Ports: 16 RJ-45 jacks for connecting PoE cameras (Power over Ethernet)
- Video VGA Output: Female DE-15
- HDMI 1.4
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Port (Type A)
- RS-232: The RS-232 port is for general COM debug to configure IP address or transfer transparent COM data.
- Network Port: RJ-45 (10M/100M/1000M Mbps)
- Alarm/PTZ Control Ports: Two 6-pin RS485 ports (2 Euro-connectors are included)
- Power In: IEC 3-prong connection for included 58" power cord
- Power Switch
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.