Outdoor stereo rock speaker
Our take on the MartinLogan ML-65R by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Looks and sounds great in your yard
The MartinLogan ML-65R looks like a rock, so it doesn't look out of place in your carefully landscaped outdoor space. It features a 6-1/2" mineral-filled polypropylene woofer and two 1" titanium dome tweeters, so your music will sound rich, full, and detailed.
Stereo inputs give you setup flexibilitiy
Each ML-65R is equipped with two independent input channels, so a single rock speaker can reproduce the left and right halves of a stereo mix. But you could also use a pair of these speakers for a more traditional stereo setup, with each wired in mono. Or run several together for a distributed audio system covering a wider outdoor listening area.
- weatherproof faux-stone outdoor speaker
- 6-1/2" dual-voice coil woofer and two 1" titanium dome tweeters
- frequency response: 66-20,000 Hz (±2dB)
- handles up to 70 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms per channel
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- pre-installed connecting wires
- 11-1/8"W x 12-1/8"H x 10-5/8"D
- weight: 12.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- All-weather outdoor landscape speaker (attached 3' speaker wire)
- Security stake and cable
- User's Manual
- Online Product Registration
Features and Specs
|Woofer Composition||Mineral-filled polypropylene|
|Power Range (watts)||15-55|
|Frequency Response||66-20k Hz|
|Connector Type||Attached wire|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
All-Weather Landscape Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Installer Series ML-65R all-weather landscape loudspeaker is constructed from durable materials to provide years of trouble-free outdoor listening enjoyment (even under extreme weather conditions). It features a fully sealed, mineral-filled reinforced enclosure with a faux-stone finish to provide protection from harsh weather elements, as well as blend into the surrounding landscape. The ML-65R also features a water & UV-resistant stainless steel grille for superior toughness.
Note: MartinLogan recommends that you not place the ML-65R landscape loudspeaker in direct sunlight. The ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can cause deterioration of speaker cones, etc. For installation of this all-weather landscape speaker, MartinLogan recommends as little direct sunlight as your installation will allow.
Stereo Configuration: The MartinLogan ML-65R all-weather landscape speaker utilizes two 1" titanium dome tweeters and one 6.5" mineral-filled polypropylene bass cone with dual voice coil to ensure great stereo performance. With its dual tweeter design, this speaker provides wide dispersion and placement flexibility. At a reasonable listening level, sound from one ML-65R will cover a wide dispersion arc of up to 20' in front of the speaker.
Attached Speaker Wire: The MartinLogan ML-65R has two sets of 3' speaker wire attached to the bottom of the enclosure. Make sure to connect the wires of the ML-65R and the speaker wire of your amplifier with wire nuts (not included) and fill the wire nuts with waterproof silicone sealant (not included) to prevent deterioration over time. Use 16AWG speaker wire for wire runs of 15' or less, 14AWG speaker wire for wire runs of 30' or less, and 12AWG speaker wire for wire runs of 30' or less.
- Stereo Mode: The two sets of speaker wire can be connected to the Left & Right channels of your amplifier for stereo sound from one ML-65R loudspeaker. ML-65R speaker is rated at 8-ohms per channel when running as "Left & Right" (Stereo).
- Mono Mode: You can connect only the Left or Right speaker wire to the Left or Right channels of your amplifier
- for mono sound from one ML-65R loudspeaker. Wired in Mono to run as a "traditional speaker" it is rated at 4-ohms.
Note: If you plan to use multiple speakers in series on a single amplifier channel, please remember to check your amplifiers minimum safe speaker impedance load (ohms).
Mounting Options: The self-draining design of the ML-65R landscape speaker allows installation on up to a 20° grade. The durability of this outdoor loudspeaker allows for a wide variety of installation options; including on the ground, in a garden, on a deck/patio, or around a pool. The included security stake and cable may be used to inhibit theft and reduce the chance of unauthorized movement of the all-weather landscape speaker.
Applications & Placement: The MartinLogan Installer Series ML-65R all-weather landscape loudspeaker can be used as a single stereo speaker, paired with a second ML-65R speaker for traditional stereo sound, or used in a distributed audio system.
- Single Speaker Stereo Placement: Ideal in small areas not suited to a stereo pair of speakers. The speaker is connected to both Left and Right amplifier channels. Place the speaker so that the sound is "aimed" toward the main listening area.
- Two Speaker Stereo Placement: Ideal for stereo coverage in small to medium sized areas. One speaker is connected to the left amplifier channel and the other to the right channel (with each speaker wired for mono). Place the speakers about 12'-16' apart to achieve good stereo imaging throughout your listening area.
- Single Stereo Speaker Distributed Audio Placement: In larger or unusually shaped areas, multiple speakers (each wired for "Left plus Right" channel sound) may be used to eliminate the sound imbalances that occur with stereo sound when people move around or are seated closer to one speaker than the other.
- Two Stereo Speaker Distributed Audio Placement: In larger areas multiple speakers (each wired for Mono) can be used in a "flanked" stereo placement to provide ultra-wide stereo coverage and broader imaging.
Installer Series: The Installer Series by MartinLogan is a line of high-performance loudspeakers, featuring custom installation solutions for in-wall, in-ceiling, and outdoor applications. They have been manufactured to MartinLogan's highest standards of quality.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Outdoor stereo rock speaker$349.99 each
Outdoor stereo-input rock speaker
Outdoor stereo-input rock speaker
Outdoor stereo rock speaker$449.99 each