Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
16-channel mixer with compression, effects, digital processing, and iPod®/iPhone® connection
Item # 845MGP16X | MFR # MGP16X
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha MGP16X by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
For live sound and studio recording
Yamaha's MGP16X mixer will help you produce fine music from both live and studio performances. As a mixer for a band or house of worship, this versatile control surface can take on a group of modest size, from small bands to gospel singers. This mixing board includes two onboard effects processors, compression on 8 channels, and a digital interface that connects to your iPod or iPhone to help you produce concert-quality playback and studio-quality recording. You can rack mount your MGP16X for a custom installation or life on the road.
16 input channels
Yamaha understands the specialized techniques that reproducing music requires, so they designed the inputs of the MGP16X for different functions. The first 10 channels feature their D-PRE mic preamps, designed for Yamaha's high-end recording consoles, which use a special Class A amplifier circuit to faithfully reproduce a microphone's signal and maintain its musicality. Channels 9-16 feature 4 stereo pairs of line inputs, for instruments with stereo outputs. The last two pairs of input channels are called "Stereo Hybrid Channels" by Yamaha, because they feature digital processing as well as analog control.
Digital technology in an analog mixer
Yamaha loaded the MGP16X with three very handy processors on each of the Stereo Hybrid Channels. The Priority Ducker reduces the volume of that stereo channel when someone talks through channel 8's microphone, so someone could address a crowd over music, for example. The Leveler keeps every song playing through the channel at the same volume, so you're not blasting people on some songs. A Stereo Image control can reduce the left-to-right stereo separation of a song being played back, so the people on both sides of the room will hear the same thing.
iPod/iPhone app control
The MGP16X sports a USB port for your iPhone or iPod. Not only can you charge your device and play music from it, you'll be able to control the MGP16X's digital functions from your device, including the effects programs and digital source playback, by way of the MGP Editor app, available free from your friendly Apple App Store.
Dual effects processors and compression onboard
Two onboard digital processors provide reverb, delay, echo, and other modulation effects that'll give your music some pleasing spatial context and texture. The MGP16X also has 8 channels each loaded with Yamaha's one-knob audio compressor, for excellent dynamic handling of vocals, lead guitars, and other signals that don't maintain a consistent level.
Channel EQ and 2 auxiliary buses
Each channel offers 3 bands of EQ, high and low shelving, and midrange peaking control with adjustable center frequency, so you can get the tone you want for every instrument and voice. Yamaha's proprietary X-pressive EQ models the warm sound of vintage equalizers to give you a powerful tool for shaping your sonic landscape. You can use the 2 auxiliary sends to route different mixes to monitors or extra outboard effects.
Four subgroups (two pairs) with direct outputs for analog recording or processing help you arrange a musical ensemble into convenient groups of instruments for organized mixing. A PFL (pre-fader listen) bus system allows you to carefully monitor and meter each input signal directly.
MGP16X connection panel
What's in the Box:
- Mixing console
- AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- channels 1-8:
- mono mic/line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- D-PRE Class A microphone preamps
- insertion (I/O) jack
- switchable phantom power (+48 volts)
- switchable high-pass filter (100 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- switchable 26 dB pad
- channels 9/10 and 11/12
- mono mic and stereo line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TS)
- D-PRE Class A microphone preamps
- switchable phantom power (+48 volts)
- switchable high-pass filter (100 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- channels 13/14 and 15/16:
- stereo line inputs (1/4" TS and RCA)
- Stereo Hybrid Channel digital features (described below)
- 3-band EQ on all channels
- high: 8,000 Hz (X-pressive EQ shelving)
- mid: tunable 250-5,000 Hz (peaking) on chs 1-8 and 13-16, fixed 2,500 Hz (peaking) on chs 9-12
- low: 125 Hz (X-pressive EQ shelving)
- peak lights on all channels
- Stereo Hybrid Channels: digital signal processing on chs 13-16 stereo inputs
- Priority Ducker: lowers channel program when speaking through ch 8 mic
- Leveler: equalizes the volumes of the songs played back through the input
- Stereo Image: blends left and right stereo signals together with a mono mix for better room coverage
- iPod/iPhone compatible: control the mixer's digital functions (effects, Stereo Hybrid Channels, and playback) with MGP Editor app
- two onboard digital effects processors:
- REV-X reverb (8 programs)
- SPX special effects (16 programs)
- audio compression available on chs 1-8 (single-knob control)
- 2 auxiliary buses
- Aux 1: pre-fader
- Aux 2: switchable pre- or post-fader
- 2 effects sends
- 4 subgroups (2 pairs) with direct outputs
- LED output meter with peak indicator
- PFL (pre-fader listen) for metering and monitoring individual channels
- on/off, pan, and stereo/group assignment controls on each channel
- headphone and monitor outputs
- steel chassis
- rack-mountable: brackets included
- weight: 19.9 lb
- dimensions: 17-5/8"W x 5-3/4"H x 19-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Mic inputs||Combo (8), XLR (2)|
|Line inputs||1/4" (12), RCA (4)|
D-PRE Mic Preamps w/ Switchable Phantom Power: The D-PRE mic preamps were initially intended for use with Yamaha's high-end recording gear, these studio-grade, discrete Class-A mic preamps employ an inverted Darlington circuit design that features multiple circuitry elements in a multi-layered configuration in order to deliver more power with lower impedance. This means all the character, depth and feel of your original signal will be delivered with fat, natural sounding bass and smooth, soaring highs. Rediscover a favorite mic or trusted instrument by capturing the full range of your musical expression with sound that you don't hear, so much as feel. Independent toggle switching of +48V phantom power and 26dB (pad) is on each mic channel. Switchable phantom power (+48V) lets you can take advantage of the natural, extended response of high-quality condenser microphones. The 26dB (pad) switch attenuates the mic inputs by 26dB.
Inputs: The Yamaha MGP series mixer provides twelve total channel inputs; there are eight mono and four stereo mixing channels, plus a 2TR input, Return input, and eight Inserts (i/o). With up to ten mic/line inputs or up to four stereo inputs, the MG series mixer can simultaneously connect to a wide range of devices; including microphones, line-level devices, stereo synthesizers, and more. The MGP mixer offers balanced and unbalanced connectivity. Input channels 1-8 consist of combo jacks that will accept XLR or TRS 1/4" connectors, as well as 1/4" insert I/O jacks. Input channels 9/10 and 11/12 consist of XLR mic inputs and stereo 1/4" line jacks. Input channels 13/14 and 15/16 consist of stereo 1/4" line jacks and stereo RCA line jacks. Each channel features its own input gain and output level adjustment. In addition, there is a dedicated stereo input (2TR) channel for connecting a CD player or other audio component source, plus a Return input for a processed effect signal.
|Terminal||Connector||Gain (dB)||Load Impedance (kΩ)||Nominal Use (Ω)||Input Level (dBu)|
|Sensitivity||Nominal||Max. before clip|
|Channels 1-8||Mic||Combo jack (XLR/TRS)||-60||3||50-600||-80||-60||-40|
|Channels 9/10, 11/12||Mic||XLR-3-31||-60||3||50-600||-80||-60||-40|
|Channels 13/14, 15/16||1/4" jack, RCA||n/a||10||600||-22||-10||+10|
|Return (L, R)||1/4" jack||n/a||10||600||-12||+4||+24|
|2TR Input (L, R)||RCA||n/a||10||600||-26 dBV||-10 dBV||+10 dBV|
Outputs: The MGP series mixers features stereo XLR and TRS 1/4"-jack outputs which will connect to your PA system's power amplifier or powered speakers. There is also a stereo 1/4"-jack monitor output to connect to your PA monitoring system, or simply use the 1/4" headphone-jack output to connect a set of headphones for monitor. In addition, the mixer provides two Aux and two FX Sends. The mixer even provides stereo RCA Record outputs so you can connect the mixer to an external recorder such as a CD or MD recorder in order to record the same signal that is being output via the Stereo Output jacks. There are Group outputs (1-4) to connect to the inputs of a multi-track recorder, external mixer, or other such device.
|Terminal||Connector||Source Impedance (Ω)||Nominal Use (Ω)||Input Level|
|Nominal||Max. Before Clip|
|Stereo Out (L, R)||XLR 3-32, TRS||75||600||+4 dBu||+24 dBu|
|Group Out (1-4)||1/4"||150||10k||+4 dBu||+20 dBu|
|Aux Send (1,2)||XLR-3-32||75||600||+4 dBu||+24 dBu|
|FX Send (1,2)||1/4" jack||150||10k||+4 dBu||+20 dBu|
|Channel Insert Out (1-8)||1/4" jack||150||10k||0 dBu||+20 dBu|
|Record Out (L, R)||RCA||600||10k||-10 dBV||+10 dBV|
|Monitor Out (L, R)||1/4" jack||150||10k||+4 dBu||+20 dBu|
|Phones Out||Stereo 1/4" jack||100||40||3mW||75mW|
1-Knob Compressors: Originally a Yamaha innovation, 1-knob compression is now a popular feature on an increasing number of compact mixing consoles with good reason. These intelligent compressors add optimally set compression to a wide variety of input sources (1-4) with the touch of a single control, minus the hassle of setting up and configuring complex outboard gear. The MGP mixer features Yamaha's newly upgraded 1-knob compressors that feature LED indicators allowing you to visually monitor when the compression "kicks-in" on each channel.
Equalizer + HPF: All input channels feature a 3-band equalizer to adjust the channel's high, mid, and low frequency bands. Input channels 1-8, 13/14, and 15/16 provide a variable mid frequency adjustment from 250Hz-5kHz. Input channels 9/10 and 11/12 have a fixed 2.5Hz mid EQ. The shelving EQ (low/high) on the mono input channels features Xpressive EQ, which effectively models analog EQ utilizing Yamaha's famed VCM (Virtual Circuitry Modeling) technology. Yamaha analyzed vintage EQ analog circuits and redesigned the technology specifically for the MGP mixer to create an EQ with exceptionally musical characteristics. Furthermore, the cutoff frequency can also be adjusted, enhancing use of the EQ in sound reinforcement applications, and extending the sonic control range of the mixer. Although not directly related to the equalizer circuitry, channels 1-8, 9/10, and 11/12 also feature 100 Hz low-pass filters that can be used to eliminate subsonic noise that is outside the equalizers' range.
|High||Shelving||10 kHz||+/- 15 dB|
Note: The 1-8 insert (i/o) jacks can be used to insert an external signal-processing device between the equalizer and fader of the corresponding
monaural input channel. The Insert jacks are ideal for connecting devices such as graphic equalizers, compressors, or noise filters into the corresponding channels.
Dual Digital Effects: The MGP series mixing console offers two separate studio-grade effects processors for ultimate enhancement of your sound, with simple intuitive control. Yamaha's high-end REV-X reverb offers three very musical and natural high-resolution reverb effects; Hall, Room, and Plate. For more sound-shaping possibilities, Yamaha's renowned SPX digital multi-effect processor provides a useful selection of 16 advanced digital effects with editable parameters. Both processors can be used simultaneously, giving you a vast array of tools to color your sound.
Note: For additional effects, you can use the two Aux and two FX Send jacks to feed the signal to an external signal processor, and then return the processed stereo signal through the mixer's Return jack. You can adjust the effect level and parameters of the Aux Send/Return.
Stereo Hybrid Channels: The MGP series mixer utilizes a powerful, proprietary DSP to provide three essential features that are staples of both installed and live sound applications. In keeping with the theme of analog simplicity found throughout the MGP series design, each of these functions is readily accessible and available at the touch of a button. Featuring a mid-sweep, three-band EQ for nuanced sound control, and high-performance onboard A/D and D/A converters, the Stereo Hybrid Channel offers unique functionality with superior sound. The mixer features three exceptionally convenient features for the stereo input channels (13/14, 15/16):
- Priority Ducker: An invaluable feature for applications that require both public-speaking and background music, Priority Ducker allows a microphone to take priority over another sound source automatically, just by speaking into the mic. Stop talking and the other sound source is brought back to its original level, therefore no console operator is required for this simple yet valuable function. You can even adjust the ducker attenuation of sound source depending on your preferences.
- Leveler: This intelligent compressor "auto levels" different tracks from a sound source that vary in volume, providing a more pleasurable listening experience. Ideal for small events with un-manned operation of your console, Yamaha's proprietary DSP algorithm allows for extended play time without the worry of fluctuating volume levels distracting your listeners.
- Stereo Image: The Stereo Image function seamlessly narrows the pan balance of the stereo sound source so that audiences spread over a wide area can enjoy a comfortably blended mix. This is particularly helpful for installed sound applications that requires background music. Using either of the two optimized settings (MONO or BLEND) Stereo Image ensures that everyone is in the "sweet spot" by providing a more optimally mixed sound to the entire space.
Pan/Balance Control: The PAN control determines the stereo positioning of the channel signal on the Stereo L and R or Group 1-4 buses. The BAL control knob sets the balance between left and right channels. Signals input to the L input (odd channel) go to the Stereo L/Group (1,3) bus; signals input to the R input (even channel) go to the Stereo R/Group (2,4) bus.
PFL Switch: The PFL (Pre-Fader Listen) switch lets you monitor the channel's pre-fader signal, before any level adjustment. When the switch is "On", the pre-fader signal is output to your monitor speakers for monitoring. The pre-fader signal can also be routed to the Aux bus.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Yamaha MGP series mixer provides USB connectivity and a dedicated control app for Apple iPod, iPhone, and iPad.
- Direct USB: The MGP series mixer features a built-in USB port to connect and charge your iPod or iPhone for seamless playback with a single connection. A direct digital connection offers a much higher level of quality with more detail and clarity than typical analog inputs can provide. The mixer also supports playback of the Apple iPad, but will not charge it.
- MGP Editor App: MGP Editor is a free software application that gives you additional control of your console's DSP settings via your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3 or later). With a simple and intuitive graphic display, MGP Editor gives you additional, detailed control of your REV-X and SPX effects parameters as well as Hybrid Channel's Priority Ducker, Leveler and iPod/iPhone's playback settings. Direct playback of iTunes play list is also possible.
Portable Console Design w/ Integrated Rack Ears: With integrated rack ears, the MGP series mixer easily meets the demands of both installed and portable applications providing safe, stable protection for your console. Extremely durable, their sleek, attractive design instantly gives you the option of a rack-mounted or desk-top configuration, with hassle-free setup saving you time and effort.
Internal Universal Power Supply: You can plug in with confidence in any region with 100V-240V power thanks to the mixer's highly-efficient internal universal power supply. With its multi-voltage design, the MGP series mixer ensures worry-free operation in potentially damaging environments with fluctuating power levels. An Internal power supply also simplifies rack mounting of the console at installed applications, with no use for a bulky adapter or additional connections.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.