Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Power amplifier 600 watts RMS x 2 at 8 ohms (1400W x 2 at 2 ohms)
Our take on the Cerwin-Vega CV-2800 by Crutchfield's Dominic Devito
Loud and clean
You want your music to touch everyone in the room, even the latecomers in the back row. With Cerwin-Vega's CV Series power amplifiers fueling your speakers, you can be sure that everybody will hear music that's not just muscular and loud, but easy on the ears. Rugged construction and proven circuitry mean you can count on these amps to perform reliably on the road or in permanent installations.
The rear of the CV-2800 power amplifier offers XLR and 1/4" inputs, plus Speakon and 5-way binding post outputs.
Performance worthy of any headliner
Cerwin-Vega's CV-2800 amplifier delivers 600 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms, 900 watts per channel at 4 ohms, and up to 2800 watts in bridged mode. The amplifier features a highly efficient flow-through tunnel cooling design which incorporates two fans to keep the power supply stable and ward off thermal breakdown. The defeatable limiter and high-pass filter on each channel help you get the most out of your speakers.
You'll find the usual array of indicators up front, including LEDs for power, clip, protect, and signal status, plus 21-position control knobs that'll let you set your levels with repeated reliability. This amp's a natural fit for Cerwin-Vega's passive loudspeakers, but it'll sound great through any other properly matched speakers.
The Cerwin-Vega CV-2800 amp offers balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs, as well as 5-way binding posts and Neutrik Speakon® outputs for the speakers. Got a passel of speakers in need of some juice? You can rackmount this amp, so you can have multiple amps join forces to rock your club or house of worship.
What's in the Box:
- Power amplifier
- AC power cord
- User Manual
- 2-channel power amplifier
- power output:
- 600 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms
- 900 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms
- 1400 watts RMS per channel at 2 ohms
- 1800 watts RMS (mono) at 8 ohms in bridged mode
- 2800 watts RMS (mono) at 4 ohms in bridged mode
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (-0.5 dB); 5-60,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 104 dB
- total harmonic distortion: 0.04% (20-20,000 Hz)
- bridge/stereo/parallel switch
- independent right- and left-channel level controls with 21-position detented knobs
- defeatable limiter for each channel
- high-pass filter for each channel (40 Hz)
- continuously variable speed (front to rear) dual-fan, flow-through tunnel cooling
- initial power, DC voltage, short circuit, thermal, and current limiting protection
- front-panel LEDs indicate power, active status, clipping, and protection warning
- integrated rack mount ears
- inputs: balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS
- outputs: 5-way binding posts and Neutrik Speakon
- weight: 46 lbs.
- 19"W x 3-1/2"H x 16-1/2"D (2 rack spaces)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Watts per channel 8 ohms||600|
|Watts per channel 4 ohms||900|
|Watts per channel 2 ohms||1400|
Two-Channel Power Amp: The Cerwin-Vega CV-2800 Power Amp is rated at 600W x 2ch at 8ohm, 900W x 2ch in 4ohm, and 1400W x 2ch in 2ohm. The power amplifier can also be bridged for a rating of 1800W x 1ch in 8ohm or 2800W x 1ch in 4ohm. The two-channel power amp provides Stereo, Parallel, or Bridged Mono operating modes for flexible application.
- Stereo: In stereo mode, both channels operate independently with individual input gain controls. Signal at channel 1's input produces output at channel 1, while signal at channel 2's input produces output at channel 2's output. Recommended minimum nominal load impedance for stereo operation is 2 ohms per channel.
- Parallel: When set to Parallel mode, a signal applied to channel 1's input will be amplified and appear at outputs for both channel 1 & 2. The parallel mode is well suited for applications in which driving two speakers with the same signal but with separate amplification. The "Channel 1" and "Channel 2" input gain controls individually control the out put level on channels 1 and 2.
- Bridged Mono: Bridged mono mode straps both amplifier channels together to make a very powerful, single-channel monaural amplifier. One channel "pushes" and the other channel "pulls" equally, doubling the power over that of either channel alone. Therefore the voltage is doubled, the peak power is quadrupled, and program power is roughly three times as high as that of the individual channel. Signal is applied to the channel 1 input only and channel 1 input gain control is used to adjust signal level. The input gain control belonging to channel 2 are not used. Bridged mono mode is to be used only when the CV-Series amp is connected to a 4 or 8 ohms speaker load.
Combo Input Connectors: Connect your input source to the amplifier's balanced combo connectors using either XLR or 1/4" TRS plugs. They are configured as follows; Pin 2 (Tip) hot, Pin 3 (Ring) cold, and Pin 1 (Sleeve) ground. We recommend using balanced three-conductor cabling wherever possible. Unbalanced two-conductor 1/4" plugs can also be inserted into these inputs, but you will get better signal quality and less noise and hum if you use balanced lines. Stereo signal should be connected to the Channel 1 and Channel 2 input jacks. When operating the unit in Bridged Mono or Parallel modes, use the Channel 1 input jack only.
Binding Post and Speakon Outputs: Binding posts are provided for each channel, as well as Speakon connectors so that paralleling of speakers is possible.
- Binding Post: Connection to the binding posts can be made with bare wire, banana plugs, or spade lug terminations. Make connections to both the Channel 1 and Channel 2 terminals for Stereo or Parallel Mode, or a single connection across the red terminals only of Channel 1 and Channel 2 for Bridged Mono Mode.
- Speakon Connector: You can use these to connect each channel of
the unit to 8 ohms or 4 ohms loudspeakers. Using Speakon speaker cables,
connections to both the channel 1 and channel 2 connectors for Stereo or Parallel Mode, or to the Bridged mode connector for Bridged Mono Mode.
Link Connectors: These XLR jacks (one for each channel) are used to send a parallel signal to another device or amplifier.
Controls: The CV-Series power amp offers a variety of controls to fit your application.
- Bridge/Stereo/Parallel Switch: This rear-panel switch changes the amplifier operating mode between stereo, mono bridged, and parallel.
- Channel Input Level: These two 21-position detented potentiometers adjust input level for their respective amplifier channels. In Bridged Mono Mode, only channel 1 level control is used to adjust signal level. In Parallel Mode, both input level control are used to adjust signal level for their respective amplifier channels. At their fully counter-clockwise position, the signal is attenuated by more than 80dB. At their fully clockwise position, the signal is at maximum gain. When 0 dBu of signal arrives at the input jacks and the Channel input level controls are set to their fully clockwise position, the unit delivers full power output.
- High Pass Filter: These two switches are used to activate the built-in High Pass Filter for each channel. The HPF rolls off signals below 40Hz. This improves bass performance by limiting sub-audio cone motion, making more power available for the speaker's rated frequency range. When the filter is turned off, a 5 Hz roll off protects against DC or deep sub-audio inputs.
- Limiter Switch: When the input signal connected to your amplifier is too high, you end up with a distorted output signal. To prevent this, both channels feature a clip limiter that can be engaged or disengaged selectively.
Protection Circuitry: The CV-Series power amp incorporates the following protection features to protect the amplifier and your speakers from damage or failure.
- Initial Power Up: For approximately five seconds after initial power-up, the protection circuitry is activated and the speaker outputs are muted. If everything is operating normally, you will hear an audible click at the conclusion of this brief period, as the protection circuitry is deactivated and the unit begins delivering signal to the connected speakers. It is normal for the Protection LED to fade gradually after the amplifier is powered off.
- Thermal Protection: Abnormally high heat sink temperatures will engage the protection circuitry for the overheating channel only. An output relay disconnects the speakers until normal temperature range is restored. The Protect indicator will light to show the protection circuit is active. To guard against this problem, make sure the unit receives adequate ventilation on all sides and that both the front and rear panels are unobstructed. If the power transformer gets too hot, its thermal switch will disconnect all of the secondary power and disconnect both channel outputs.
- Short Circuit: If output is shorted due to faulty wiring, the thermal circuitry will automatically protect the amplifier. If this occurs, the load will be disconnected by the thermal protection circuitry.
- DC Voltage Protection: If an amplifier channel detects DC voltage at the speaker output, the output relay will immediately open to prevent speaker damage.
- Subsonic Filter: The built-in High Pass Filter provides subsonic frequency protection for each channel.
- Current Limiting: At the amplifier's full power limit, or clipping point, the limiter circuitry will be activated. This is indicated by illumination of the Clip LED. The channel gain is automatically reduced, protecting the speakers from high power. Uncontrolled feedback, oscillations, or improper equipment gain setting may activate this circuitry, which is virtually transparent in operation as full signal bandwidth is maintained.
LED Indicators: Front panel LEDs indicate power, clip, protect, and signal status.
- Active: These blue LED's indicate that AC power is connected and the amplifier is turned.
- Signal: These blue LED's will illuminate to indicate that a signal is present at the amplifier input, and that the signal is being amplified.
- Clip: These red LED's will illuminate at the clipping threshold. These lights should not light up during normal use as they indicate signal outside of the amplification range of the amplifier. When a signal is "clipped" and the clip indicator illuminates, it means that the signal is being distorted at the output stage. Prolonged clipping can not only damage your amplifier, but also your speakers, so be careful to monitor the clip indicator during setup and use. If the clip indicator is illuminated then simply lower the channel gain or input signal until the indicator does not light.
- Protection: These red LED's indicate that the channel is in Protect mode. When the channel goes into protect mode all output for that channel will be muted. The protect LED's light when overheating or other severe problems occur. This is to protect any speakers connected to the channel. The LED's also light for approximately five seconds whenever the unit is powered on and fade slowly when the amplifier is powered off.
Flow-Through Cooling: The CV-Series power amplifier is cooled by two rear-mounted fans. Cool air flows through the front fan filters, reducing the temperature of internal components while forcing the heat out the rear vents. Never block these vents and keep them clear at all time.
Rack Mountable: The CV-Series power amplifier can be mounted in any standard 19" rack thanks to its integrated rack mount ears.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.