Overview: Crown's new XLS DriveCore 2 series of power
amplifiers feature an upgraded look with a larger display. Like their
predecessors, the new XLS amps are equipped with Crown's patented DriveCore
technology. The XLS 1002 can drive your speakers with 1100 watts (at 4Ω bridged)
of clean power with very low distortion.
DriveCore: DriveCore Technology
seamlessly integrates the amplifier drive stage into the power output stage
fusing everything into a chip the size of a dime. The foundational DriveCore
circuitry is based on breakthroughs by Crown's own Gerald Stanley with five
patents applying to the advanced feedback, modulation, and output stage
technologies. DriveCore's front-end drive circuits leverage the inherent
efficiency of Class D output stages while also maintaining superb sonic
characteristics. The end result is an ultra-efficient one-piece audio amplifier
circuit that exhibits the exemplary audio quality of a highly evolved Class AB
Power Rating: The Crown XLS 1002 can power 8Ω, 4Ω, or 2Ω
loads, and can be bridged for 8Ω or 4Ω mono operation. The maximum average power in watts at 0.5% THD,
1 kHz is as follows:
Load ||Dual Mode (stereo) ||Bridged Mode (mono) |
|2 ohm ||550 watts ||N/A |
|4 ohm ||350 watts ||1,100 watts |
|8 ohm ||215 watts ||700 watts |
PureBand Crossover System: The PureBand
Crossover System in the XLS DriveCore 2 Series adds an enormous amount of
flexibility and performance to any system. With this system, the crossover
frequency is completely variable allowing the choice of any crossover point
between 30Hz and 3kHz on 1/12th octave centers. The use of 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley
filters provides steep slopes for a seamless transition between high and low
drivers. You can choose from three filter types: Low Pass, High Pass, and Band
Peakx Limiters: Peakx Limiters provide
the ultimate in performance and protection for your entire system. This advanced
algorithm was specifically developed and tuned to work with this amplifier and
power-supply to achieve higher SPL will less audible artifacts. This means less
distortion, less shutdowns, and maximum safe power delivered to your speakers.
The Peakx Limiters can be easily turned on or off by channel right from the
front panel eliminating the need to be digging around in the back of the dark
Inputs: The XLS DriveCore 2 Series amplifiers provide one
balanced XLR, one 1/4", and one RCA connector per channel for flexible connectivity. The
1/4" inputs can be used as a loop-thru to
distribute signal to additional amplifiers.
Outputs: The XLS DriveCore 2 Series amps feature two 4-Pole Speakon
output connectors that will accept 2-pole or 4-pole Speakon connectors. The
Channel 1 Speakon
connector is wired for both channels so it can be used for bridged-mono wiring
or for stereo wiring of two speakers to a single Speakon connector. There is
also one pair of back-panel binding posts per channel that will accept banana
plugs or bare wire. Level Controls:
The amplifier's two channel outputs are
equipped with independent Gain (Level) control. These front panel rotary
controls let you raise or lower the gain as you view the LED indicators to
provide an optimal signal to the amp.
LED Indicators: The
power amplifier features ten LEDs (five for each output channel) to indicate
status of amplifier:
- Single Presence: Two green LED's, one for each channel,
illuminate when the channel input signal exceeds -40dBu.
- -10: Green LED flashes when output signal level exceeds -10dB
- -20: Green LED flashes when output signal level exceeds -20dB
- Clip: Two red LED's, one for each channel, illuminate when the
channel's output is being overdriven.
- Thermal: Two red LED's, one for each channel, illuminate when
thermal compression begins.
Main Menu: The amplifier's back-lit LCD screen allow you to
navigate through the main menu and make adjustments to the amplifier right from
the front panel:
- Amp Mode: Allows you to select one of three amplifier
- Stereo: Channels 1 and 2 function as independent
- Bridge: The output is set into a bridge
- Input-Y: Drives the two channels with the same
- Crossover: Lets you select the filter type and
frequency for each amplifier output channel. In Stereo or Input-Y mode, you
will first be prompted to select which amp channel to set up. Once the
channel has been selected, or if you are in Bridge Mode, you can choose from
the following: Low Pass, Band Pass, or High Pass
- Input Sensitivity: Input Sensitivity enables you to set
the input sensitivity for the optimal system performance. You can choose
- .775V - High: For sources with inherently low
output levels, select this mode to drive the amplifier to full power.
Typically, sources that use the RCA connections require the High
- 1.4V - Normal: For all other audio sources, the
input sensitivity should be set to normal
- System Menu: The System Menu lets you select the
- Display Sleep: Sets the display to go into sleep
mode after a predetermined idle time: 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, or
sleep mode off.
- Lighting: Lets you toggle on or off the blue panel
lights and the green signal level indicators. The thermal and clip
indicators cannot be turned off.
- Security: Allows you to lock the menu buttons so
that the settings cannot be disturbed once they have been set up.
- System Information: Lets you access additional
information, such as the model number, internal temperatures and
voltages, firmware version, etc.
- Factory Reset: Lets you reset the amplifier to the
factory default settings. This allows you to start your setup from the
beginning, if you desire.
Flow-Through & Forced-Air Cooling: The XLS DriveCore 2 Series amplifiers employ
flow-through, front-to-back ventilation and internal heat sinks with forced-air
cooling for rapid, uniform heat dissipation.
Aux Connector: A 3-pin Aux connector on the rear panel lets
you remotely trigger sleep mode through a contact closure on pins 1 and 2. An
amp status signal is available on pin 3.
Specifications: The Crown XLS 1002 DriveCore 2 series
amplifier has the following specifications:
- Sensitivity: 0.775Vrms or 1.4Vrms (selectable)
- Frequency Response: +0dB, -1dB (at 1W, 20Hz to 20kHz)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >97dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.5%
- Intermodulation Distortion: <0.3% (60Hz and 7kHz at
4:1, full rated output to -30dB)
- Damping Factor: >200 (8Ω, 10Hz-400Hz)
- Crosstalk: >85dB (at 1kHz), >55dB (at 20kHz)
- Width: 19"
- Height: 3.5"
- Depth: 9" (including protrusions)
- Weight: 8.6 pounds