Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
PreSonus StudioLive™ 16.0.2
16-channel digital mixer (FireWire connectivity)
Crutchfield: How to use a mixing board
Connecting StudioLive Mixer to Wireless Devices
From PreSonus: StudioLive for Theatre
From PreSonus: StudioLive Mixers
PreSonus: How to Set Levels StudioLive AI Mixers
PreSonus: How to Use the StudioLive AI Fat Channel
PreSonus: Recording a school jazz band concert
Item # 861SL1602 | MFR # StudioLive 16.0.2
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the PreSonus StudioLive™ 16.0.2 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
"It's like a friend helping me set up the mix." "My life on the road became a lot easier." These are the kind of comments we hear about the StudioLive digital mixers from PreSonus. Their remarkable 16.0.2 console can save you time and aggravation, whether you're recording and mixing down 16-track digital music in your home studio, or recalling all the settings and scene changes that worked so well for last Sunday's services, or running a virtual sound check while the band rests up at the hotel, or even letting a musician adjust his own stage monitor mix with his iPhone®. The StudioLive 16.0.2 can do all of that and more, almost by itself.
Versatile mixer for live or studio sound
First of all, the PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 digital mixer can process up to 16 different input signals at once, and then combine them together to provide 6 different analog output mixes — that's a stereo main out plus 4 auxiliary outputs for stage monitors or special effects. Secondly, as a digital interface, the StudioLive 16.0.2 harnesses the enormous power and versatility of PreSonus' multi-track signal processing expertise and software design to make your studio recordings and live performances sound fantastic.
The Fat Channel stretches across the board — it's processing can be applied to every input, output, and effects bus.
Fat Channel digital signal processing
A mixer input channel usually consists of a skinny strip of controls running vertically from the top of the mixer's face to the bottom. PreSonus stretched one big channel strip horizontally across almost the entire width of the console, and jammed it full of all the sound processing controls, knobs, and meters you'll need in order to sculpt your music into perfect shape. When you "select" channel 1, the Fat Channel is dedicated to that channel; select channel 2 and…well you get the idea.
Fat Channel digital signal processing can be applied to every input, output, and effects bus, and includes gating, 3-band semi-parametric EQ, dynamic compression, limiting, and a variable high-pass filter (for the input channels only). You can save and recall Fat Channel settings, ensuring you can quickly recreate a particularly good-sounding mic and instrument setup, for instance.
Other digital features
In order to save space on the control surface and still provide you with precise metering, some of the Fat Channel controls and LED meter arrays also function as input channel level meters and auxiliary mix meters/send controls that are easy to access. You'll appreciate that there's a 31-band graphic EQ available on the main output, so you can tame room acoustics. Two effects processors allow you to use two different kinds of reverbs or delays at the same time — and you can store and recall up to 100 effects presets, so you'll be ready for almost any special effects occasions when they arise. MIDI connections allow you to recall scenes and presets, assign effects, and control the master volume of the StudioLive 16.0.2 remotely from your MIDI instrument or device.
PreSonus takes all the hassle out of connecting your laptop to this console and using their amazing software. At its heart are high-speed 32-bit computer processors, a ton of memory, and the connectivity to create and control your own network of sound, whether live or in the studio. Taking it one step farther, if you add a WiFi router to the computer you're using with your mixer, you can control almost all the functions of your StudioLive 16.0.2 mixer wirelessly from an iPad®, or give musicians the power to control their own monitor mixes with their iPhone®.
In the studio
For recording, you connect the StudioLive 16.0.2 to your Mac® or Windows® computer with the included FireWire cable, making a complete digital audio workstation. Once connected, you'll enjoy the ease of analog control surfaces with the wide-ranging feature set that computer processing, recording, mixing, and archiving software bring into the control room. PreSonus includes a collection of integrated software packages that all play nicely together to help you produce the best possible recordings.
StudioLive 16.0.2 connection panel
What's in the Box:
- PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 digital recording and performance mixer
- 6' 6-pin-to-6-pin FireWire 400 cable
- 6' 6-pin-to-9-pin FireWire 400-to-800 cable
- IEC power cord
- StudioLive Software Library (including Studio One Artist DVD / Capture CD / and Universal Control/Virtual StudioLive CD)
- StudioLive Software Library Manual
- Owner's Manual
16-channel digital mixer
- channels 1-8: mono mic/line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- channels 9/10 and 11/12: mono mic/stereo line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- channels 13/14 and 15/16: mono mic/stereo line inputs (XLR, 1/4" TRS, and RCA)
- Class A XMAX™ microphone preamps
- individual switchable phantom power (+48 volts) via Fat Channel
- clip light, solo, and mute switch for every channel
- high-definition AD/DA converters
- 4 auxiliary outputs and 2 effects buses
- stereo L/R and mono analog outputs
Fat Channel processing available on all input and output channels and buses
- phase invert (only on input channels)
- variable high-pass filter (24-1,000 Hz, 6 dB/octave) (not available on main or auxiliary outputs)
- noise gate
- dynamic compressor with Auto Mode attack/release preset
- 3-band semi-parametric EQ
- low: +/-15 dB at 35-465 Hz, shelving EQ switch
- mid: +/-15 dB at 200-3,500 Hz, Hi Q switch
- high: +/-15 dB at 1,400-18,000 Hz, shelving EQ switch
- dynamic limiter: ratio inf:1
- pan control, channel assignment, and Stereo Link buttons
- save and recall Fat Channel settings (50 PreSonus presets, 49 user slots)
- two onboard stereo digital effects processors
- 9 kinds of reverb, 4 delays
- 100 digital effects presets (50 PreSonus presets, 50 user slots)
- 31-band graphic EQ on main L/R outputs
- two FireWire S400 interface connections
- MIDI in and out
- PreSonus StudioLive software library
- Studio One Artist® DAW
- Capture™ multi-track recording
- Virtual StudioLive editor/library/control with Smaart Measurement Technology™ audio analysis
- StudioLive Remote app for wireless iPad® control (free from Apple App Store)
- QMix™ aux-mix wireless control app for iPhone®/iPod® Touch (free from Apple App Store)
- system requirements for Virtual StudioLive: 2 GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later, or Windows Vista, or 7 or later
- store and recall mixer settings (up to 99 scenes)
- LED meters with peak indicators
- LCD display for DSP settings and controls
- headphone and monitor outputs
- talkback mic input
- steel chassis
- weight: 20 lbs.
- dimensions: 16"W x 5-1/2"H x 15-9/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 is a 16-channel digital mixer that can be used for live sound or recording. It has 8 mono input channels and 4 stereo channels. Powerful new software lets you control the StudioLive 16.0.2 remotely from a laptop, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, as well as create and enhance dynamic recordings.
Inputs: The StudioLive 16.0.2 is equipped with the following inputs:
- 8 Mono Inputs: Channels 1 through 8 are mono mic/line inputs, each with balanced female XLR mic connectors with Class A XMAX preamplifiers and balanced 1/4" line inputs. Each channel is controlled by a separate fader.
- 4 Stereo Inputs: Channels 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, and 15/16 are stereo line inputs with balanced 1/4" line inputs, Class A XMAX mic preamplifiers (on channels 9, 11, 13, and 15), and unbalanced RCA line inputs (on channels 13-16). Each pair of channels are controlled by a single fader.
- Talkback Mic Input: A female XLR input is provided for connecting an external talkback microphone. A rotary trim control is provided to adjust the gain of the Talkback input.
Outputs: The StudioLive 16.0.2 has the following outputs:
- Mains: The separate left and right main outputs have
balanced male XLR connectors and balanced female 1/4" TRS connectors. There
is also a balanced male XLR mono output which carries a mono, summed version
of the stereo signal from the main bus.
- Main Output Trim: Rotary knobs on the rear panel control the maximum output level of the XLR and TRS main outputs, and can be attenuated to -40dB and boosted up to 0dB.
- Monitors: Separate left and right monitor outputs with balanced 1/4" TRS connectors. These can be used for control room speakers, and are controlled by the monitor knob on the top panel.
- AUX: There are four Auxiliary outputs, each with balanced 1/4" TRS connectors. Aux mixes are routed to these outputs.
XMAX: The StudioLive's 12 XMAX preamplifiers are custom-designed, high-voltage, discrete, Class A microphone preamplifiers provide a wide dynamic range and extended frequency response. Their 30-volt power rails (compared to the 10 to 18-volt rails found in most other preamplifiers) provide more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs, and delivers a richer overall sound.
Phantom Power: The StudioLive provides 48V phantom power for the microphone inputs on each channel. Phantom power is required for condenser mics, and can be individually enabled for each channel using the 48V button in the Fat Channel. It can be switched off for all channels where it is not required.
FireWire Ports: The Studio Live 16.0.2 has two 16-in/16-out, standard 6-pin FireWire 400 ports on the back panel. Either port can be used to connect the mixer to your computer. The second port can be used to connect other devices, such as an external hard drive, or to daisy-chain an interface for additional recording inputs.
MIDI: Separate MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) input and output ports allow you to connect the StudioLive to external MIDI equipment.
Fat Channel: The StudioLive 16.0.2's unique Fat Channel transforms this compact mixer into a large console with 130 signal processors. The Fat Channel includes compressors, limiters, and gates for each channel, phase reverse (for the 12 mic preamplifiers), high-pass filters (on every channel and aux), panning (with a dedicated 15-LED display), and a 3-band semi-parametric EQ for every channel. In addition, there are two stereo 32-bit floating point effects processors with 50 delay, reverb, and time-based effects presets. One 31-band stereo graphic EQ is provided on the main outputs.
PreSonus Studio One Artist: The PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 comes with Studio One Artist digital audio workstation software. Studio One Artist delivers the core audio and MIDI functions needed to record, edit, and mix music. It comes bundled with over thirty 32-bit Native Effects plug-ins and virtual instruments. Studio One is compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later, and Windows 7 (x64/x86 SP1) and Windows 8 (x64/x86).
Virtual StudioLive: Virtual StudioLive (VSL) was written exclusively for StudioLive mixers. VSL provides a complete visual representation of the mixer on your Firewire-equipped Mac or PC, and gives you bi-directional control of the mixer using a mouse, trackpad, or trackball. Virtual StudioLive provides drag-and-drop control of the mixer's channels, subgroups, aux sends, and main levels, as well as Fat Channel, effects, and graphic EQ settings. You can save your settings for instant recall anytime. VSL includes Smaart Measurement Technology for instant analysis and adjustment of your sound system.
StudioLive Remote and QMix Apps: Designed for use with Apple iOS devices, StudioLive Remote (iPad) and QMix (iPhone, iPod touch) give you wireless control over the StudioLive mixer. These apps allow you to perform sound checks on the spot, whether it's on stage or in the outer perimeters of the room. StudioLive Remote and QMix require a wireless connection to a computer (which is connected via FireWire to the mixer). StudioLive Remote provides extensive touch control of the mixer via the iPad, while QMix gives you control of individual monitor (Aux) mixes using an iPhone or iPod touch. StudioLive Remote and QMix are available free from the Apple App Store.
Capture: With Capture, you can make multi-channel digital recordings from your laptop. This enables you to instantly record your live gig, church service, or presentation in just two mouse clicks. Capture automatically maps to the outputs of the mixer to automatically record all of the input channels. The software also lets you insert markers during a live recording for editing later.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.