Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Celestron Ambassador 80AZ
Vintage-look refractor telescope with 80mm (3-1/8") aperture and mahogany tripod
Item # 87221034 | MFR # 21034
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Celestron Ambassador 80AZ by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A truly beautiful telescope
Harken back to the days of sailing ships and leather-bound books with the gorgeous Celestron Ambassador 80AZ. The optical tube is made of gleaming brass, as is the vintage altazimuth mount. The same classic look applies to the built-on 6x30mm finderscope. The included tripod is burnished mahogany with brass fixtures. The Ambassador telescope is the elegant choice for daytime terrestrial viewing or an evening of casual stargazing.
What's in the Box:
- Ambassador 80AZ brass telescope with attached mount (with objective lens cap and eyepiece cap installed)
- 3 Wooden tripod legs
- Tripod leg brace/accessory tray
- Erect image finderscope (with 2 caps)
- 2 Finderscope brackets
- 4 Thumbscrews
- Erect image diagonal (with 2 caps)
- 25mm Eyepiece (with 2 caps)
- Instruction Manual
- Product Registration card
- brass optical tube, altazimuth mount and tripod hardware
- sturdy and decorative mahogany wood tripod
- decorative telescope for terrestrial viewing and casual astronomy
- 80mm aperture
- light gathering capacity 131X the human eye
- 800mm focal length
- 6x30mm finderscope included
- 25mm eyepiece included (1-1/4" diameter)
- 32X maximum magnifcation with included eyepiece
- highest useful magnification: 189X
- warranty: 2 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The Ambassador 80AZ by Celestron is a high-quality, vintage-style brass telescope with adjustable mahogany wood tripod legs with brass hardware. The 80AZ is made for the discriminating buyer, and is designed to be a decorative piece as well as a functional telescope. You can use the 80AZ for terrestrial viewing and casual astronomical observing. The telescope comes with a 25mm eyepiece with a 45° field-of-view, a 6x30 brass finderscope, and a tripod leg brace that doubles as an accessory tray.
Refractor: The 80AZ is a refractor telescope, an optical design that was developed in the early 1600s. A refractor uses a lens to bend or refract incoming light rays. The 80AZ uses fully coated glass optical elements for clear, crisp images.
Eyepiece: The telescope comes with a 25mm eyepiece (32x magnification). Higher power eyepieces (without the brass finish) are available for the 80AZ to give you a closer look at your chosen object. The unit also comes with an erect image diagonal which diverts the light at a 45° angle to the light path of the telescope. This allows you to observe in a position that is more comfortable than if you looked straight through. An erect image diagonal corrects the image to be right side up and oriented correctly left-to-right.
Altazimuth Mount: The Ambassador 80AZ is installed on a matching brass altazimuth mount. An altazimuth mount provides adjustment in altitude (up and down movements) as well as azimuth (left and right movements). Once you have located the desired object to observe, you can lock the telescope to prevent movement in either direction. The vintage mechanical design of the 80AZ creates some limitations in observing objects high in the sky. You will not be able to observe objects closer than about 45° from the zenith.
Finderscope: The telescope comes with a 6x30 finderscope which mounts to the outside front of the telescope tube to help you aim the telescope at a distant target. The finderscope must first be aligned with the telescope before use.
- Optical Design: Refractor
- Aperture: 80mm (3.15")
- Focal Length: 800mm (31")
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Eyepiece Focal Length: 25mm
- Eyepiece Magnification: 32x
- Highest Useful Magnification: 189x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 11x
- Optical Tube Length: 33"
- Light Gathering Power: 131x (compared to human eye)
- Weight (with tripod): 28.5 pounds
- Overall Dimensions:
- Optical Tube Length: 33" (not including eyepiece)
- Minimum Height (on tripod): 43"
- Maximum Height (on tripod): 72"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.