WyreStorm Express™ HDMI Over Coax with 2-way IR
Single-cable point-to-point audio/video signal extender for cable runs up to 50 meters
Our take on the WyreStorm Express™ HDMI Over Coax with 2-way IR by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Send HD video to another room without a long HDMI cable run
Moving high-definition video signals around your home can be challenging, especially if you don't want long HDMI cables snaking across your floor. The WyreStorm Express™ EXP-EX-COAX-50 system lets you distribute 1080p HD video and multichannel audio using the coax cable that's likely already in your walls. The heart of the system is two compact boxes: a transmitter, which connects via HDMI to your source, and a receiver, which connects via HDMI to your display. The two boxes are connected via standard coax cable.
Even in these days of digital A/V distribution, coax cable is still a very effective way to transmit and control HD signals between sources and displays, and is ideal for HD cable and satellite TV setups. Coax cable's ability to pass high-frequency signals with very low loss allows this system to transmit crystal-clear HD video over distances up to 50 meters (164 ft.). The system can be cascaded by connecting additional units to further extend transmission distance. WyreStorm also carries two-way infrared (IR) remote control commands from both source and display locations.
To ensure maximum compatibility and reliable performance between source and display, the EXP-EX-COAX-50 features EDID management to manually handle device communication and cable distance settings, allowing you to fine-tune signal extension based on the length of cable between the devices.
- two-piece HDMI extender system includes an HDMI-to-coax transmitter and a coax-to-HDMI receiver
- sends high-definition video and multichannel audio over coax cable (up to 50 meters or 164 ft.)
- supports HD video formats up to 1080p/60Hz (HDMI v1.3)
- coax cable offers low loss at high frequencies which is vital for TV set-top boxes and cable modem installations
- EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) management to manually handle device communication and cable distance settings to fine-tune signal extension based on the length of cable between source and display
- system can be cascaded by connecting additional extenders to further extend transmission distance
- wideband, two-way IR control of source from display locations and display from source locations
- AC adapters included
- BNC/coax adapters included
- 6"W x 1-1/4"H x 4-1/8"D (dimensions are identical for both receiver and transmitter units)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- HDMI-to-Coax transmitter
- Coax-to-HDMI receiver
- 2 AC power supplies (w/ attached 6' DC cords)
- 6 AC power plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- 2 IR emitters
- 2 IR receivers
- 2 BNC-to-Coax connectors
- 4 Mounting brackets
- 8 Machine screws
- Quick Start Guide
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
HDMI-Over-Coax: The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 is a single cable point to point HDMI extender set using copper-core 75Ohm Coax cable to transmit 1080p HD video @60Hz and multi-channel HD audio over distance up to 50m (164ft) including wide-band, two-way IR control from both source and display location. The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 is the perfect solution for retrofit HD distribution projects in which a Coax cable infrastructure is already present, as well for installers whose primary experience lies in aerial and satellite installations.
- Low-Loss Coax: The use of coax as a cable medium is still a popular requirement to transmit and control HD signals between sources and display location in legacy or mixed analog/digital systems such as aerial and cable/satellite installations, where coax is effective due to the low loss at high frequencies, vital for TV Set-top boxes and cable modem installations.
- EDID Management: The EXP-EX-COAX-50 features EDID management to manually handle device communication and cable distance settings to fine tune signal extension based on the length of cable between devices to maximize compatibility and reliable delivery of the signal between source and display.
- ESD Protection: The EXP-EX-COAX-50 includes protection against ESD (electrostatic discharge) to further stabilize transmission with LED indication on the unit housing providing clear confirmation of power and signal link status.
- Expandable: The EXP-EX-COAX-50 can be cascaded by connecting additional multiple extenders to further lengthen transmission and offer greater flexibility, whatever the application
Transmitter: The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 transmitter consists of a HDMI input for digital audio/video source connection, a BNC/Coax output to connect to the EXP-EX-COAX-50's receiver, 3.5mm IR emitter/receiver ports for two-way IR control, a microUSB port for updates, and a DC5V port for power.
Receiver: The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 receiver consists of a BNC/Coax input to connect audio/video signal from the EXP-EX-COAX-50's transmitter, a HDMI output for connection to your display, 3.5mm IR emitter/receiver ports for two-way IR control, a microUSB port for updates, and a DC5V port for power.
Audio/Video Signal: The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 transmitter and receiver features HDMI 1.3+HDCP. The system supports video transmission of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1920x1200, 720p, 1080i, 1080p video signals. It also supports multichannel PCM audio of 2ch, 5.1ch, and 7.1ch.
Note: Not compatible with 4K or 3D video.
2-Way IR Control: The WyreStorm Express EXP-EX-COAX-50 features wide band, two-way IR control of source from display locations and display from source locations.
Video Amplifier Bandwidth: 6.75Gbps
Input Video Signal: 0.5-1.0 volts p-p
Input DDC Signal: 5 volts p-p (TTL)
Maximum Single Link Range: 1080p 24bit True Color
Transmission Distance: 50m / 164ft (75 Ohm)
Video Formats Supported: VESA: 640x480, 800x600,1024x768, 1280x1024,1600x1200, 1920x1200 DTV/HDTV: 720p/1080i/1080p
Output Video: HDMI 1.3+HDCP (Source mirrors display device )
Audio Format Supported: Multichannel 7.1/5.1/stereo audio (PCM only)
Power Supply: 5VDC
Power Consumption: 5w
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Was looking for a solid HDMI over coax solution. I have several pieces of Wyrestorm equipment - extremely reliable and well built. Wyrestorm products are used by many installers in the the higher end home theater and commercial sectors, and they exhibit at CEDIA. [ James Feb 21, 2016 ]