Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Compact powered subwoofer
Our take on the Sunfire HRS-8 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Lay down a solid bass foundation for your movies and music
Deep bass from a powerful subwoofer can really bring out the best in your movies, music, and video games. And when that room-filling bass comes from a compact cube that's only about 10" per side, it's downright eye-opening. Despite its diminutive dimensions, the Sunfire HRS-8 delivers big performance that's perfect for smaller rooms and tight locations. The key to this little sub's impressive, high-resolution sound is an unbeatable combination of advanced driver technology and the breathtaking power of a built-in 1,000-watt amplifier.
The Sunfire HRS-8's extra-long-throw 8" driver and 1,000-watt amplifier unite to deliver jaw-dropping bass from a tiny box.
Moving some serious air
Much of the HRS-8's powerful performance comes courtesy of its massive, extra-long-throw 8" woofer. The woofer's ability to make extremely long excursions allows it to displace large amounts of air to produce the deepest bass. The driver's large, specially designed surround holds the woofer cone precisely in place as it moves, for the most accurate sound possible.
The HRS-8's 1,000-watt RMS amplifier uses Sunfire's exclusive Tracking Downconverter™ power supply to delivers high levels of current with far greater efficiency than conventional amps, for huge power reserves with minimal physical size and cool-running operation.
Sunfire's proprietary Frequency Filtration Design™ (FFD) technology helps maintain musicality and accuracy, even at the highest volumes and lowest frequencies. The amp's soft-clipping circuitry also keeps the woofer from being dangerously overdriven or producing obvious distortion, without squashing the dynamic subtleties or compromising its impact during big action flicks.
Versatile system integration
Line-level inputs and outputs, plus speaker-level inputs let you easily connect this sub to most audio systems. Its variable back-panel volume, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to your liking. And the sub's stylish, high-gloss piano black finish looks right at home with almost any room decor.
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User's Manual
- "Fuse Replacement" note
- Customer Response Card
- frequency response: 22-100 Hz
- built-in 1,000-watt amplifier (continuous power)
- Tracking Downconverter Power Supply
- Frequency Filtration Design™ (FFD) technology allows high output levels with low distortion
- soft-clipping circuit prevents speaker damage
- front-firing, extra-long-throw 8" woofer
- sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure
- continuously variable low-pass 30-100 Hz crossover
- continuously variable phase control (0-180°)
- rear-mounted volume, crossover, and phase control
- signal-sensing auto on/standby mode
- speaker-level inputs
- line-level/LFE inputs
- line-level outputs (70 Hz high-pass)
- high-gloss black finish
- 10-1/16"W x 10-3/16"H x 12-1/4"D
- weight: 28 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Not given|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||30-100Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||75Hz|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1000|
|Frequency Response||22-100 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
8" Woofer/1000W Amp: The Sunfire High Resolution series HRS-8 powered sub combines a 1,000W Tracking Downconverter amplifier, and an 8" long throw, High Back-emf woofer. This powerful combination produces as much bass as several 15" drivers mounted in a cabinet the size of a small refrigerator. And, its extended frequency response means that the powered subwoofer is the perfect match to virtually any loudspeaker.
- High Back EMF: The 8" woofer is highly efficient thanks to Sunfire's specially designed voice-coil and oversized magnet that produce High Back-emf electromotive force) and very high output.
- Tracking Downcoverter Technology: Sunfire's patented Tracking Downcoverter power supply design dynamically adjusts the output of Sunfire amplifier to suit the requirements of the incoming audio signal. Remarkably, this power supply and amp design remains incredibly cool while delivering up to 50% more voltage than the competition. More voltage means more control of the subwoofer itself. And more control means deeper, more accurate bass, something you'll truly appreciate every time you listen to your favorite music and movies. On-demand power is available for even the most demanding bass tracks, while its high efficiency keeps the amplifier cool to the touch; up to 30% cooler than the competition.
Soft Clipping Circuit: A compressor circuit kicks in automatically if the input signal level reaches a level that would overload the driver. This maintains a ceiling on the output without clipping. If the input signal is driven even further, a Soft Clipping circuit is enabled to prevent driver damage.
MDF Enclosure: Sunfire's High Resolution series HRS-8 powered sub uses a heavy-duty 3/4" MDF enclosure to resist vibration and tighter bass.
Controls: Controls for adjusting the volume, crossover frequency and phase, allow the subwoofer to be perfectly matched to any listening environment and audio components.
- Volume Level: This control lets you match the output level of the
subwoofer to the level of your other speakers. The subwoofer output will
increase as this control is
- Low Pass Crossover: This control changes the high frequency cutoff point. With the control set to 100 Hz, the subwoofer will reproduce frequencies up to 100 Hz. If the control is set fully clockwise, the crossover is bypassed and the subwoofer will reproduce a wide frequency range. With the control fully counter-clock wise the subwoofer reproduces a narrow range, up to 30 Hz. Rotate the control until the bass sounds natural. If the mid-bass sounds natural but you want more low bass, turn this control down a little, then turn the Volume control up by about the same amount. This increases the low-bass output while leaving the mid-bass output the same.
- Phase: This control changes the relative phase (0°-180°) of the subwoofer with respect to the other speakers. Use this control to help blend the subwoofer with the rest of the sys tem. This is accomplished by adjusting the control in small increments as you listen for the most bass at your listening position. As a final adjustment, readjust the Crossover Frequency and Volume controls after the Phase has been set.
Connections: The SunfireHRS-8 powered sub is fitted with with line-level and speaker-level connections for added flexibility.
- LFE/RCA Inputs: Connect these unbalanced inputs with RCA-type patch cords to the line-level outputs of your receiver or preamp. If your preamplifier or receiver has a single sub/LFE output, connect it to Left RCA input jack.
- Speaker Level Inputs: If you are using a receiver which only has speaker-level outputs, you can connect it using the powered sub's speaker-level inputs. These binding-post speaker terminals can accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) pin-connectors, or banana plugs (dual or single).
- Line-Level Outputs: These stereo RCA output jacks are a copy of the signals going into the powered sub's inputs, except the bass has been removed by a fixed high-pass crossover circuit (75Hz). The output is not affected by the subwoofer's controls.
Auto Turn-On/Standby: The powered subwoofer has a special power circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns it off when there is no signal present (approximately 15 minutes).
Applications: The High Resolution series HRS-8 powered sub from Sunfire is designed for medium-sized and multi-purpose rooms, where both music and movies are enjoyed.
Placement: Although low frequencies are non-directional, factors such as room reflections, standing waves, resonance and absorption will strongly affect your subwoofer's performance. Moving the subwoofer from one location to another can have a major effect on the bass response. The Sunfire HRS-8 powered subwoofer is designed to be placed in a corner for optimum performance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.