Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Sunfire SDS-10 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Indulge yourself in deep bass
Does your system need a swift kick in the bottom end? The hard-hitting Sunfire SDS-10 is guaranteed to dish out low, loud, and lifelike bass whenever your music and movies demand it. This powered subwoofer's high-efficiency, 250-watt Sunfire amplifier and custom-built 10" woofer deliver accurate, low-distortion performance that adds excitement to all of your entertainment sources. Feel the rumble of explosions in Hollywood blockbusters, hear the crowds roar when you score a goal in your favorite video games, or relax to the taut, tuneful lows of an upright acoustic bass from a classic jazz number.
The Sunfire SDS-10's custom-built 10" driver and down-firing passive radiator combine to deliver impressive low-end clout.
Moving some serious air
Much of the SDS-10's powerful performance comes courtesy of its Sunfire-designed, long-throw 10" woofer and acoustically matched 10" down-firing passive radiator. The woofer's extremely long excursion displaces large amounts of air to produce the deepest bass. The passive radiator reinforces the woofer, producing output most often achieved only with much larger cabinets.
Brute force with intelligence and grace
The SDS-10 uses a cool-running 250-watt Class D amplifier with sophisticated circuitry that keeps the power coming on strong when needed, but consumes a mere 0.5 watts when in standby mode. Sunfire's proprietary Frequency Filtration Design™ (FFD) technology helps maintain musicality and accuracy, even at the highest volumes and lowest frequencies. The amp's soft-clipping circuitry also keeps the woofer from being dangerously overdriven or producing obvious distortion, without squashing the dynamic subtleties or compromising its thunderous impact during big action flicks.
Easy system integration
Line-level inputs and outputs let you easily connect this sub to most audio systems. Its back-panel volume, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to your liking. The sub includes four conical feet that reduce surface contact area to decrease the amount of vibrations transmitted to the floor. The SDS-10 makes an excellent addition to just about any stereo music or home theater setup.
What's in the Box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Informamtion
- frequency response: 30-150 Hz
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 250 watts of continuous power, 500 watts peak power
- Frequency Filtration Design (FFD) technology allows high output levels with low distortion
- 10" poly-coated fiber cone woofer
- down-firing 10" passive radiator
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- continuously variable low-pass 30-150 Hz crossover
- continuously variable phase control (0-180°)
- rear mounted volume, crossover, and phase control
- auto on/off
- line-level inputs and outputs
- LFE input for use with home theater receiver's subwoofer output
- vibration-reducing conical feet
- black ash vinyl finish
- 13-1/4"W x 16-1/4"H x 14"D
- weight: 27 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||85Hz|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||250|
|Frequency Response||30-150 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Passive Radiator Design: A front firing, 10" custom Sunfire driver is acoustically matched to an 10" down-firing passive radiator, creating nearly double the output compared to conventional single-driver designs
250W Amp w/ Soft Clipping Circuit: Sunfire's digital amplifier delivers 250W or RMS output and 500W of Peak output. A compressor circuit kicks in automatically if the input signal level reaches a level that would overload the driver. This maintains a ceiling on the output without clipping. If the input signal is driven even further, a Soft Clipping circuit is enabled to prevent driver damage.
Controls: Controls for adjusting the volume, crossover frequency and phase, allow the subwoofer to be perfectly matched to any listening environment and audio components.
- Level: This control lets you match the output level of
the subwoofer to the level of your other speakers. The subwoofer output will
increase as this control is
- Crossover: This control changes the high frequency cutoff point. With the control set to 150 Hz, the subwoofer will reproduce frequencies up to 150 Hz. If the control is set fully clockwise, the crossover is bypassed and the subwoofer will reproduce a wide frequency range. With the control fully counter-clock wise the subwoofer reproduces a narrow range, up to 50 Hz. Rotate the control until the bass sounds natural. If the mid-bass sounds natural but you want more low bass, turn this control down a little, then turn the Volume control up by about the same amount. This increases the low-bass output while leaving the mid-bass output the same.
- Phase: This control changes the relative phase (0°-180°) of the subwoofer with respect to the other speakers. Use this control to help blend the subwoofer with the rest of the sys tem. This is accomplished by adjusting the control in small increments as you listen for the most bass at your listening position. As a final adjustment, readjust the Crossover Frequency and Volume controls after the Phase has been set.
Connections: The Sunfire SDS-10 powered sub is fitted with RCA inputs and outputs.
- LFE/RCA Inputs: Connect these unbalanced inputs with RCA-type patch cords to the line-level outputs of your receiver or preamp. If your preamplifier or receiver has a single sub/LFE output, connect it to Left RCA input jack.
- Line-Level Outputs: These stereo RCA output jacks are a copy of the signals going into the powered sub's inputs, except the bass has been removed by a fixed high-pass crossover circuit (85Hz). The output is not affected by the subwoofer's controls.
Auto Turn-On/Standby: The powered subwoofer has a special power circuit which automatically turns the powered subwoofer on when a signal is fed to the loudspeaker and turns it off when there is no signal present (approximately 15 minutes).
Placement: Although low frequencies are non-directional, factors such as room reflections, standing waves, resonance and absorption will strongly affect your subwoofer's performance. Moving the subwoofer from one location to another can have a major effect on the bass response. The Sunfire SDS-10 powered subwoofer is designed to be placed in a corner for optimum performance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.