High-performance in-ear planar magnetic headphones with Apple® Lightning® cable
Our take on the Audeze LCDi4 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Breakthrough design, superior sound
You might think the most obvious comparison for the Audeze LCDi4 in-ear headphones would be the company's iSINE line of headphones. Well, you're right in terms of the look and innovative planar-magnetic design. But sonically, the better comparison might actually be Audeze's top-of-the-line OVER-the-ear headphones, the LCD-4.
They share the same nanometer grade (rough translation: extra-extra-extra-thin) diaphragm, shrunken in diameter. You get a portable pair of headphones with a spaciousness that rivals Audeze's large over-ears, plus an incredibly natural, uncolored sound signature.
Headphone expert Steve Guttenberg on the Audeze LCDi4 in-ear headphones:
"I'm going to come right out and say it: The Audeze LCDi4 are hands down the best-sounding in-ear headphones I've heard. They're the most transparent and open, have the flattest tonal balance, and the bass—OMG—is deeper and faster than any other in-ears on the planet! ”
— Read the full review from the February 2018 issue of Sound & Vision
Planar-magnetic drivers: the basics
So how do planar magnetic headphones usually work? A large yet thin diaphragm is suspended within a magnetic field. It is covered with a flexible circuit. When the circuit receives an audio signal, the diaphragm moves back and forth to create sound. It starts and stops rapidly for clean and accurate sound across a wide frequency range.
You place the LCDi4's earbuds inside your ear, while the planar drivers sit outside.
How did Audeze fit that technology into an earbud?
A special, super-powerful Fluxor magnet array. Audeze laid out the magnets in an asymmetrical pattern, so that they attract to each other at an angle. This results in a magnetic field that is nearly double the power of a traditional one, so those thin LCDi4 drivers can move and perform extra-efficiently.
And just how thin is the LCi4's nanometer grade diaphragm? It's 200 times thinner than a single strand of human hair. 200 times thinner.
More power = better performance
While these headphones are way more efficient than Audeze's large over-ear LCD models, they still require more power than most in-ears. After all, you purchase headphones like these to reveal nuances and dynamics in your favorite songs — without effort or distortion.
The braided, silver-plated cable will indeed connect to the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack found on many smartphones. But you'll get the best results using a separate headphone amp/DAC or portable high-res music player.
Hand-built and tested in California
Audeze visited us earlier this year to give an in-depth training and they showed a video of their headphone creation process. The level of care was impressive. Every single LCDi4 driver is hand-assembled at their Southern California headquarters — and goes through a battery of tests along the way.
It's a laborious process that involves great attention to detail, and ends with a series of measurements inside a sound-proof chamber. Audeze won't let a pair of LCDi4 headphones leave the building without a proper match between the left and right driver. How committed are they to delivering the goods? They keep measurement records for every individual LCDi4 that they ship.
- in-ear planar magnetic in-ear headphones
- open-back design for spacious soundstage
- nanometer grade diaphragm (less than 0.0005mm thick) for wide dynamic range
- ultra-thin design originally developed for Audeze's flagship LCD-4 over-ear headphones
- tuned for precision and accuracy
- 30mm planar magnetic driver in each earpiece
- ultra-thin diaphragm starts, stops, and moves swiftly within a powerful magnetic field
- offers enhanced dynamics and detailed sound
- Fluxor™ magnetic technology increases efficiency to keep headphones smaller and lighter
- Uniforce™ diaphragm technology greatly reduces distortion
- voice-coil etched across entire diaphragm to eliminate movement variations within the magnetic field
- tested inside a sound-proof enclosure to ensure the drivers are accurately matched
General Info and Specs:
- ear hooks keep headphones stable and comfortable
- silicone ear tips included
- 47-inch OCC silver-plated cable with 3.5mm connector
- storage wallet included
- hand-made in Audeze's Southern California headquarters
- designed by BMW DesignWorks USA
- frequency response: 5-50,000 Hz
- impedance: 35 ohms
- weight: 0.85 ounces (without cable)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||5-50K Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 year|
|Labor Warranty||1 year|