Monitor Audio CP-WT140LCR
Controlled Performance Series in-wall multi-purpose speaker with built-in back-box
Our take on the Monitor Audio CP-WT140LCR by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A versatile in-wall performer
Want crystal-clear center channel performance without taking up any shelf space? Check out Monitor Audio's CP-WT140LCR. It delivers clear, dynamic sound and fits between two 16" on-center studs. This multi-talented speaker can also be used as a left- or right-channel speaker. The drivers are specially configured to provide optimal performance whether you mount the speaker vertically or horizontally.
A built-in enclosure elevates your sound
One of my favorite features of Monitor's Controlled Performance series is the back-box that's built onto each model. This carefully designed enclosure helps it deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your wall. It also keeps dust and dirt out of your speaker.
The built-in back-box keeps dust and dirt out while providing a high-quality sonic enclosure for the speaker.
Monitor Audio's secret sauce
The 1" dome tweeter is made from Monitor's high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy. This exceptionally stiff, lightweight material allows the driver to respond swiftly and precisely to the audio signal for greater accuracy.
The tweeter also gets an anodized coating of gold that ensures smooth, extended highs. It also pivots, so you can aim it toward your preferred listening spot for more direct sound. Solid, accurate mids and bass come courtesy of dual 4" woofers.
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- tweeter utilizes ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium alloy) cone material to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" pivoting gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- dual 4" MMP® II (Metal Matrix Polymer) bass drivers
- can be mounted vertically or horizontally
- ideal for use as a center-, left-, or right-channel home theater speaker, or in a high-performance stereo system
- frequency response: 60-25,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-100 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- overall dimensions (including grille): 8-9/16" x 13-1/16"
- cutout dimensions: 7-3/16" x 11-3/4"
- mounting depth: 3-13/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall LCR loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- Cosmetic scrim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Pair|
|Cutout Size||7.1875 x 11.75|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-100|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
LCR Design: The Monitor Audio CP-WT140-LCR is a multi-purpose in-wall speaker that can be used as a center speaker, front left or right speaker, and surround left or right speaker. Its suitable for music and home theater applications, and can be mounted in a portrait or landscape orientation.
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Custom Install series CP-WT140-LCR in-ceiling speaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" C-CAM gold dome pivoting tweeter and two 4" MMP II midrange/midbass woofers. The two 4" woofers offer greater radiating area working in tandem than a single 6" bass driver.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- MMP II Midrange/Midbass Woofer: The Metal Matrix Polymer (MMP II) driver cone has a polypropylene base loaded with metallic particles to offer a rigid and responsive structure. They are manufactured using a sophisticated high-pressure injection process, which modulates cone thickness at critical points to optimize stiffness and consistency, resulting in a superior sonic performance.
Tweeter Control: The 1" C-CAM tweeter is able to pivot to direct the sound to your desired listening area. A tweeter level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB) and boundary compensation control (On/Off) also aid in high frequency performance.
Sealed Design: The Monitor Audio CP-WT140-LCR's airtight enclosure design protects each precision-engineered driver system against the accumulation of damaging dirt and dust.
Trimless Grille: The CP-WT140-LCR in-ceiling speaker features a round "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Custom Install series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CP-WT140-LCR is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Enjoy even greater accuracy plus tuning options
The Monitor Audio CP-WT240LCR offers these features:
Monitor Audio's ceramic coated aluminum/magnesium alloy bass drivers for more precise sound
a boundary compensation switch to help tune the speaker's sound to your room
Frequently Compared With
Monitor Audio CP-WT140LCR
Controlled Performance Series in-wall multi-purpose speaker with built-in back-box$424.99 each
Polk Audio RC85i
Monitor Audio CP-WT150
Controlled Performance Series 2-way in-wall speaker with built-in back-box$324.99 each
Monitor Audio CP-WT240LCR
Controlled Performance Series in-wall multi-purpose speaker with built-in back-box$499.99 each