Monitor Audio CT265-FX
"Trimless 200" Series in-ceiling dipole/bipole surround speaker
Our take on the Monitor Audio CT265-FX by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
High-performance surround sound with a low-profile look
Monitor Audio's CT265-FX in-ceiling surround speaker instantly puts you in the scene for every high-speed car chase, high-impact explosion, and bruising brawl. This stealthy speaker is designed specifically to deliver an immersive listening experience without intruding into your living space. Use a pair (or two) as your rear speakers for a perfectly voice-matched accompaniment to an all-Monitor Audio Silver Series surround sound setup.
Monitor Audio's stealthy CT265-FX uses precisely angled tweeters and switchable dipole/bipole settings to deliver immersive surround sound effects.
Bipole/dipole design adds versatility and realism
The CT265-FX uses two precisely angled tweeters and a dipole/bipole switch that helps you get the best performance for your particular setup. Place a pair in the ceiling behind your listening position and set them to bipole mode, so the tweeters and woofer fire together ("in phase"). Or place the speakers above the sides of your listening position and switch them to dipole mode so the tweeters fire at opposite times ("out of phase") to create a more diffuse soundfield. Either way, you'll experience rich, lifelike surround sound that will involve you in your favorite movie or video game.
Excellence by design
The CT265-FX incorporates Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeters for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are made from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy which is then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Their extremely low mass and high rigidity allow these tweeters to play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with little to no audible distortion.
A 6-1/2" mid/bass driver delivers tight, powerful bass and clean, accurate midrange. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, this ultra-rigid driver resists the bending and twisting that causes distortion, while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM® tweeters for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 6-1/2" C-CAM woofer for clean, accurate bass
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium alloy) cone material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- voice-matched for optimum performance with Monitor Audio's Silver Series speakers or other Monitor "Trimless 200" Series in-wall and in-ceiling speakers
- tweeters mounted at a precise fixed-angle for optimized performance
- frequency response: 60-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-85 watts
- sensitivity: 88.5 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- bipole/dipole switch to optimize sound for either side or rear placement
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- protective rear dust cover
- overall diameter (including grille): 9-13/16"
- cutout diameter: 8-11/4" diameter
- mounting depth: 5-7/8"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-85|
|Connector Type||Spring Post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio CT265-FX in-ceiling speaker incorporates a 6.5" C-CAM bass driver and dual 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeters mounted at a precise fixed-angle for optimized performance.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the CT265-FX in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange and Bass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
Dipole or Bipole Modes: The Monitor Audio CT265-FX in-ceiling speaker features surround mode selection of dipole (diffuse sound) or bipole (direct sound) operation for super-discreet home theater sound. A front mounted switch is provided to select between bipole or dipole operation, dependant on system installation. This enhances the whole movie experience when used in a 7.1 channel system.
Controls: Optimum imaging and set-up are established via the high frequency level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB) and boundary compensation controls (On/Off).
Trimless Grille: The CT265-FX in-ceiling speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Custom Install series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall and suspended ceilings with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CT265-FX is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.
Protective Covers: The CT265-FX features dust protection covers that are designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Moisture & Fire Resistant: The Custom Install series in-ceiling speaker is splash and humidity proof for installation in shower rooms or pool areas. It also uses fire retardant materials specified to UL-94 VO rating.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Monitor Audio's CT265-FX speakers are designed specifically for using as the surround and/or rear-surround speakers in your home theater surround sound system. While you could technically use them as the fronts as well, there are other Monitor Audio in-ceiling speakers better suited for that. In order to discuss those options, please feel free to reach out to an Advisor directly by phone (888.955.6000) or online chat. They'll be happy to offer personalized recommendations for you there! [ Larry Jul 25, 2017 ] Staff