Monitor Audio IWA-250
Power amplifier for Monitor Audio IWS-10 in-wall subwoofer
Our take on the Monitor Audio IWA-250 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Power for your passive sub
Yes, you can fit a subwoofer in a wall, just like a full-range speaker. But it's tough to find room in the wall for powerful amplification to drive that sub. For that, you need a dedicated subwoofer amp like the Monitor Audio IWA-250. It was designed for use with their IWS-10 passive in-wall subwoofer, and can drive it to deliver powerfully pleasing bass. The IWA-250 can even drive two of these in-wall subs, offering 250 watts of power when driving both loads. That's the kind of sub output made for large home theaters that need a second sub for impactful low-frequency effects that are well-balanced throughout the room.
Connections for receivers and integrated amps
If you're using the IWA-250 with a home theater receiver, there are balanced and unbalanced LFE inputs. If you're connecting it to an integrated amp without a subwoofer output, there are stereo RCA inputs with a variable crossover for fine-tuning the low-pass filter. The Class D amp is equipped with digital signal processing to ensure you get even response from your subs at various listening levels while also limiting distortion at high volumes.
Turns on automatically
The IWA-250 has a 12-volt trigger connection, so it can automatically switch on with your receiver, amp, or external control system. It can also be set to power on when an input signal is detected.
- Class D power amplifier designed for the Monitor Audio IWS-10 in-wall subwoofer
- delivers up to 250 watts into 4 ohms (driving two IWS-10 subwoofers)
- built-in digital signal processing (DSP) offers balanced subwoofer performance at various listening levels
- powers on automatically via 12-volt trigger or input signal
- variable low-pass crossover control: 40-120Hz (for use with stereo amplifiers)
- stereo RCA, unbalanced LFE (RCA), and balanced LFE (XLR) inputs
- dual mono binding post speaker outputs for connecting two subwoofers
- front-panel phase switch, volume control, and EQ profile switch (music, movie, impact)
- rigid steel chassis
- includes brackets for rack-mounting (1U)
- 17"W x 1-3/4"H x 10-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Subwoofer amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 10' Mono minijack cable
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- 8 Screws
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||1|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||250|
|Frequency Response||25-120 Hz|
|Bridged Power per Channel||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||1|
|Speaker Connectors||Spring post|
Subwoofer Amplifier: Delivering up to 250 watts into 4 ohms, the Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier will power a single or dual IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofers (893IWS10, sold separately) to provide higher power levels for larger rooms or to meet customer demands.
Class D Design w/ DSP: The amplifier utilizes a cool running Class D power stage driven by a PWM supply with integrated DSP. Filtering and functionality are controlled in the software for precise and reliable operation.
Sub Controls: The Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier offers the following sub control to tailor the system to your content, room, application, and preference.
- Volume Control: This control allows the level or volume to be adjusted in order to achieve a balanced overall sound between the subwoofer amplifier system and your AV system.
- Lowpass Crossover: The variable lowpass control (50-120Hz) only operates when using the RCA stereo inputs and is used to set the low pass frequency of the amplifier. The crossover control should be set in accordance with the size or bass output of your front speakers.
- Phase Control: The Phase Control (0/180-degrees) is used to synchronize any delay between the subwoofer amplifier system and your main front speakers. When the subwoofer is in phase with your main speakers the sound should be full bodied.
- EQ Switch: This switch tailors the bass response of the subwoofer amplifier system to your taste. There are three settings - Music, Movies and Impact. Movie mode provides a relatively flat response down to 35Hz. Music mode is -2dB down from Movie mode but goes lower, all the way down to 30Hz. Impact mode is +3dB up from Movie mode and comfortably goes down to 40Hz.
- Enclosure Switch: There is also an enclosure switch to calibrate the drive characteristics when your IWS-10 passive subwoofer is used within or without the IWB-10 back box (sold separately).
Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs: The IWA-250 offers a choice of a single LFE (unbalanced RCA/balanced XLR) or stereo RCA inputs to connect the subwoofer amplifier to your AV receiver.
Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Monitor Audio IWA-250 is fitted with two pair of spring-post terminals to connect up to two IWS-10 passive subwoofers (sold separately). The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (dual or single), and angled pin-connectors.
Rack Mountable: Its slim design can fit in a1U rack-mount space. The front-panel allows access to all control features for easy adjustment when fitted into a rack bay.
Auto Power On/Off: The IWA-250 can be configured to switch on automatically using input signal sensing, or by using its 12V trigger (3.5mm) link from an AV receiver. The IWA-250 will then automatically be switched on and off with your AV system.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Excellent info on your website. [ Peter Apr 04, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question, and have escalated it to an Advisor. We will post the answer as soon as we have it. If you need immediate assistance please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Dec 01, 2014 ] Staff