Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Monitor Audio Silver FX
Dipole/bipole surround speakers (Black Oak)
Item # 893SLVRFXB | MFR # SILVERFXB
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Monitor Audio Silver FXby Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Take the plunge
Monitor Audio's Silver FX surround speakers instantly put you on the scene for every high-speed car chase, high-impact explosion, and bruising brawl. Designed to deliver an immersive listening experience, Monitor's Silver FX speakers will add precision and clarity to your home theater. Use a pair for your rear speakers in a Monitor Audio Silver series 5.1 system, or add two pairs for a high-performance 7.1 surround setup.
Bipole/dipole design adds versatility and realism
The Silver FX uses two tweeters, one on either side of its angled cabinet, along with a dipole/bipole switch that helps you get the best performance for your particular setup. Place a pair behind your listening position and set them to bipole mode, so the tweeters and mid/bass driver fire together ("in phase"). Or place the speakers to the sides of your listening position and switch them to dipole mode so the tweeters fire at opposite times ("out of phase") to create a more diffuse soundfield. Either way, you'll experience rich, lifelike surround sound that will involve you in your favorite movie or video game.
Excellence by design
The Silver FX incorporates Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeters for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are made from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components, then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Their extremely low mass and high rigidity allow these tweeters to play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with little to no audible distortion.
Each speaker's ultra-rigid 6" mid/bass driver delivers tight, powerful bass and clean, accurate midrange. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, this driver is strengthened and stiffened even further by adding a pattern of dimples to the surface of the cone. The dimples help resist bending and twisting that cause distortion, while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
A solid cabinet with a luxurious finish
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Silver FX's enclosure is built solid to resist vibration that can color sound and reduce accuracy. The exterior comes clad in a beautifully finished real walnut or black oak wood veneer.
- frequency response: 60-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 40-85 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeters in an angled array for wide surround sound dispersion
- 6" C-CAM mid/bass driver with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- dipole/bipole switch to optimize sound for either side or rear placement
- five-way binding post speaker terminals
- 12-1/4"W x 9-13/16"H x 5-5/8"D
- weight: 10.38 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 6 Grilles (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Wall-Mount Template
Features and Specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Switchable|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6|
|Frequency Response||60-35k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Angled Surround Design: The Monitor Audio Silver series FX loudspeaker has been specially designed as a surround or surround back speaker. Its discreetly profiled angled baffle design incorporates a single front-mounted 6" C-CAM/RST midbass driver and twin side-mounted 1" C-CAM tweeters.
- Twin 1" Tweeters: Distortion from air compression at the back of a tweeter dome has been eliminated by Silver's new 1" C-CAM tweeter design, which vents into a large rear-loading chamber, producing much lower resonance and better overall damping. The frequency response from the new tweeter is more accurate at lower frequencies for a smoother more natural handover with the mid/bass driver. Meanwhile high frequency extension has been improved and break-up reduced by improvements in cone geometry and drive mechanism.
- 6" Woofers Unlike conventional cones, which incorporate a center aperture for the voice-coil, the 6" dimpled RST (Rigid Surface Technology) C-CAM cone deployed by the Silver series FX surround speaker takes the form of a continuous uninterrupted radiating dish having inherently greater strength and area. The voice coil sits beneath and is coupled to a larger motor by an innovative, more efficient drive assembly.
C-CAM Technology: The 1" tweeter and two 6" woofers of the Silver FX surround loudspeaker utilize Monitor Audio's proprietary C-CAM speaker technology.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver series FX surround speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Dipole/Bipole Switch: Each speaker can be configured for bipole or dipole mode. Before changing your FX's from bipole mode to dipole mode, please ensure that the speaker wires are disconnected from the loudspeakers. This helps to protect your amplifier and speakers. The factory setting is bipole.
- Bipole Mode: In bipole mode, all drivers (tweeters and midbass) are in phase. This feature is designed for when the FX is set up as a rear/surround speaker in a typical 5.1 channel system, or alternatively in a 7.1 channel system without a second pair of FX's for rear/surround duties.
- Dipole Mode: In dipole mode, the rear firing tweeters are out of phase with the other tweeter and midbass driver. It is best to implement this configuration when using two pairs of FX's as part of a 7.1 channel system, with the FX's taking up positions on the side and rear walls.
Note: The Silver FX are labeled specifically for right and left. When using two pairs of Silver FX's in a 7.1 system, you need to use the Right speaker for the rear surround left and the Left speaker for the rear surround right. This is because of the tweeter phasing.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and midbass woofers are fixed to the cabinet with a single through-bolt driver fixing mount. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
Sealed MDF Enclosure: The Silver FX employs a sealed MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring: The Silver FX uses a high quality crossover with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors. The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver FX is fitted with gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The binding post terminals are recessed so they don't interfere with mounting the speaker on your wall.
Wall-Mountable: The Monitor Audio Silver series FX surround loudspeaker can be wall-mounted via the two keyhole slots on the back panel (screws not included). The two key-hole slots are positioned 7.875" apart. A wall-mount template is included to help position the speaker on your wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
heard good sound emminate from them[ dolores Sep 19, 2017 ]