4-channel commercial audio mixer with Bluetooth® input
Our take on the Samson SM4 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Control the sound of your business
If your business needs an audio system controller for playing background music and making announcements, Samson's SM4 4-channel audio mixer may be the perfect solution. You can play music from multiple sources, like mobile devices via headphone connections, or an installed player via stereo patch cords. You can also stream music wirelessly to the SM4 from a smartphone or tablet.
Front panel USB
A clever feature is the USB port on the front panel. You can use this as another mic input with a Samson Stage XPD1 Headset or Presentation wireless microphone system. You can also use the USB port to charge a portable device. You can set the mixer's output to Mono, compatible with most commercial amplifier applications, or Stereo, for higher-quality sound in a lobby or showroom, for example.
Paging and announcements
Whether using a wired or wireless microphone, the SM4 will automatically duck (turn down) the music for vocal announcements. A Voiceover control adjusts how much the music gets turned down, while a Voiceover Hold adjusts the time it takes for the music to return to pre-announcement level.
Samson SM4 connection panel
- compact mixer for commercial sound systems
- Mic input (Combo XLR/1/4")
- Mic level, Bass, and Treble controls
- 15-volt phantom power
- USB input for a Samson Stage XPD1 wireless microphone system
- controlled by Mic level
- supports device charging
- stereo Music input (RCA, 1/4" TRS, and 3.5mm TRS)
- Music level control
- Bluetooth input for wireless streaming
- variable Voiceover control ducks music when mic is activated
- stereo L/R output (XLR and RCA)
- Stereo/Mono switch
- rack mount kit included
- dimensions: 8-9/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 6-1/2"D
- weight: 1.76 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AC power adapter w/ 6' cord (15V/ 0.8A)
- North American socket adapter
- European socket adaptor
- 9.5" Rack-mount bracket
- Angled rack-mount bracket
- Adjoining bracket
- Rear mounting plate
- Three M3 x 12mm screws
- Three M3 x 9mm screws
- Four M3 x 5mm screws
- Owner's manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Samson SM4 is a 4-channel mixer designed for commercial installations, such as restaurants, gyms, night clubs, and schools. It features a balanced microphone input with 2-band EQ, 1/4" and 1/8" line-level inputs, stereo RCA inputs, Bluetooth audio playback, and Samson Stage XPD wireless connectivity. The SM4 also features voiceover ducking, which lowers the level of the Music inputs when the Mic input is used.
Inputs: The SM4's rear panel inputs include a studio-grade, balanced, XLR/1/4" combo jack, for inputting a microphone, and a pair of stereo RCA inputs. The front panel includes a 1/4" mono and an 1/8" stereo jack as well as a USB port (Type-A, 3.0) for use with Samson's optional Stage XPD wireless microphone systems (sold separately). The USB can also be used for charging portable devices (5V / 200mA maximum).
Outputs: The rear panel output connections include a pair of balanced XLR jacks (configured as either a stereo or mono output) along with a pair of stereo RCAs.
Front Panel Controls:
- Power Switch: Turns unit on/off. Included LED lights white when mixer is powered on.
- Mic: This rotary knob controls the level of the Mic input.
- Bass: Adjusts the low frequency of the Mic input by +/- 10dB at 80 Hz.
- Treble: Adjusts the high frequency of the Mic input by +/- 12dB at 12 kHz.
- Music: This knob controls the level of all the Music inputs (rear panel RCAs and the front panel 1/4" and 1/8" jacks).
- Voiceover: This adjusts how much the Music and Bluetooth audio sources will be lowered, or ducked, when a signal comes in on the Mic input.
- Pair: Pressing and holding this button puts the SM4 into a discoverable mode for pairing a Bluetooth device. A corresponding Pairing LED displays the Bluetooth status.
- Bluetooth Antenna: The front panel includes a 4" Bluetooth antenna which should be placed vertical when using the Bluetooth feature. The SM4 has a range of approximately 100'.
Rear Panel Controls:
- Master Volume: This rotary control determines the final output signal level of all input channels. This limits how high the output signal can go, reducing the chance of someone turning the front panel Mic or Music levels too high and damaging speakers.
- Voiceover Hold: The Voiceover feature allows the music input to be lowered, or ducked, by up to 30 dB when the Mic or XPD Wireless input is used. The Voiceover Hold knob lets you adjust the ducking hold time from 0.5 - 3 seconds.
- Stereo/Mono: This push-button determines if the left and right signals are routed to their corresponding Outputs (stereo) or summed together and sent out both Output jacks as a mono signal.
Mounting: The SM4 includes mounting hardware so the mixer can be rack-mounted in a standard 19" rack space, either as a single device with a "filler" plate, or using the adjoining bracket which allows two half-rack units to be mounted side by side.
- Frequency Response: 30 Hz - 30 kHz (Mic to Main)
- Mic/Line to Main: < 0.02%
- Line to Main: < 0.02%
- Equivalent Input Noise (Mic): < -75dB 20 Hz - 30 kHz A-weighted
- Maximum Voltage Gain:
- Mic to Main: 32dB
- Line to Main: 8dB (RCA Input)
- Stereo Line to Main: 8dB (1/4" and 1/8" input)
- Maximum Input Level: -18dB @ 1 kHz (Mic input)
- Maximum Output Level: +14dB
- Input Channel EQ:
- High: +/- 12dB @ 12 kHz
- Low: +/- 10dB @ 80 Hz
- Phantom Power: 15 VDC
- USB Output Power: +5 VDC, 200 mA maximum
- Power Requirements: 15 VDC, 800 mA
- Bluetooth: V4.0, A2DP
- Bluetooth Frequency: 2.402 GHz - 2.480 GHz
- RF Power: <10 mW EIRP
- Dimensions: Width - 8.562", Height - 1.747", Depth - 6.50"
- Weight: 1.76 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
To have the convenience of bluetooth capability to run dj equipment. [ Jason May 16, 2018 ]