Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD
USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac® and PC
Our take on the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD by Crutchfield's James Ralston
A high-res recording interface with plenty of connections
Behringer's studio-friendly U-Phoria UMC204HD packs a surprisingly robust list of recording conveniences into a compact chassis. It's also one of the most feature-rich models we've ever seen for such a modest price. Connect it to your Mac® or PC via USB, and you're ready to start making some music.
Versatile connections for instruments and other gear
Each of the two front-panel inputs is a combination jack that handles dynamic or condenser microphones, line-level instruments like keyboards, and even electric guitars and basses. Around the back, you'll find 5-pin MIDI input/output jacks for plugging in a compatible controller.
This interface can return four independent channels from your DAW software, which you can assign to the four RCA line outputs on the back. Hook up a pair of powered studio monitors to the main left and right 1/4" outputs, or plug in your favorite pair of headphones to the front-panel jack.
The UMC204HD works with all major DAW (digital audio workstation) software for the Mac® and Windows® platforms. To get you started, it comes bundled with a powerful DAW called Tracktion, along with a range of audio effect plugins.
- computer audio interface with 2 input and 4 output channels
- supports high-res recording up to 24-bit/192kHz
- 2 microphone preamps designed by Midas
- 2 combination XLR/TRS inputs for microphones, keyboards, guitars, basses, and more
- mix control for blending dry direct input signals with sound from your DAW
- front-panel pad switches for taming hot input signals
- left and right 1/4" TRS balanced line outputs
- 4 RCA line outputs
- 1/4" headphone output
- 1/4" insert jacks for connecting an outboard effects processor
- 5-pin MIDI in/out for connecting a compatible controller
- +48V phantom power (switchable via back-panel switch)
- USB 2.0 port for connection to computer
- supports Mac® and Windows® operating systems (driver download required for Windows)
- bundled software includes Tracktion DAW and effects plugins
- compatible with all major DAWs for Mac® and Windows®
- powered by your computer via USB
- 7-5/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 5-1/8"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Audio interface
- 73" USB Cable (Type-A on one end
- type-B on other
- Quickstart guide (Eng / Span / Fren / Others)
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Behringer UMC204HD is a compact and versatile USB recording interface featuring 2 input channels, each with MIDAS designed pre-amps, studio-grade 24-Bit/192 kHz converters, zero-latency direct monitoring while recording, analog inserts for using outboard effects processors, MIDI input/outputs, and more, all housed in Behringer's "built-like-a-tank" impact-resistant metal chassis.
MIDAS Pre-amps: MIDAS is a company that's earned its reputation due to their no-compromise approach to audio and build quality, particularly their award-winning mic preamps which are considered to be one of the industry's best sounding designs. Both of the UMC204HD's two Inputs include MIDAS pre-amps and can accept mic, line, and instrument level signals.
Zero-Latency Monitoring: The UMC204HD mix control allows zero-latency direct monitoring, which allows you to hear the performance clearly with no delay or lag in the returning signal.
Tracktion: Included as a free download after registering the interface, Tracktion is a full-blown Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for composing, recording, editing, and mixing your music. Tracktion gives you features such as dynamic automation, unlimited track count, MIDI recording, and support for VST and AU plug-ins.
Front Panel: Both Inputs on the UMC204HD are balanced combination XLR/1/4" TRS jacks that can accept mic, line, and instrument level signals, each able to output +48V phantom power. Their corresponding input controls include Gain, a Line/Instrument selector, and a Pad button to attenuate hotter signals. Each Input also includes a Signal LED, that lights when a signal is present on that input, and a Clip LED, that lights when the signal starts to distort. Included with the Headphone output and its volume control is a Monitor A/B switch. When engaged, this switch allows Output Channels 3/4 (B) to be heard through the headphone output. Output Channels 1/2 (A) will be heard when disengaged. These are Output Channels assigned in your DAW that correspond to Playback Outputs 1/2 (A) and 3/4 (B) on the rear panel. Other controls include a Mix dial that adjusts the balance level of input signal to playback 1/2 (A) signal at the Main Out and the Headphone output (if Monitor A is selected for the Headphone). There's a Main Out control which adjusts the output level of the Main Outs, and four status LEDs for the following:
- Power: LED indicates unit is on or off.
- +48V: Lights if the rear panel Phantom Power switch is engaged.
- MIDI IN and OUT: These will light indicating MIDI data flow in or out of the interface.
Rear Panel: The rear panel of the UMC204HD include:
- USB: A USB type-B, 2.0, output provides connection to your computer for audio transfer to and from your DAW and is compatible with most popular recording software including Avid ProTools, Ableton Live, Steinberg Cubase, and many others. The USB port is also used to power the interface from a connected computer.
- MIDI IN and OUT: These standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connections allow MIDI note and control data to move between the interface and your DAW. This lets you integrate keyboard controllers, drum pads, and other MIDI devices for triggering and controlling sound sources inside your DAW and external modules, as well as outputting MIDI data during playback.
- +48V: This On/Off switch puts +48V of phantom power to each of the 4 input jacks when engaged.
- Playback Outputs: Four Playback Output channels are provided for additional monitoring or recording, A and B, each with a pair of RCA jacks, 1/2 for A and 3/4 for B.
- Main Out: The Main Output of the audio interface consists of Left and Right balanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
- Inserts: Two Insert jacks are provided to route signals to additional devices such as effects processors. If a balanced cable (TRS) is inserted, signals can be routed to and from the processor, and if a unbalanced cable (TS) is inserted, signals can be routed out from the interface.
- Kensington Security: Unit includes a Kensington Security lock point.
- Preamp: 2 x MIDAS design
- Type: 2 x XLR/1/4" TRS combo jacks (Mic, Line, Instrument signals)
- Input Level Attenuation: 2 x Pad switch
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 50 kHz (0 / -3 dB)
- Impedance: Mic in: 3 kΩ / Instrument in: 1 MΩ
- Maximum Input Level: Mic: -4 dBu / Line: +20 dBu / Instrument: -3 dBu
- Phantom Power: +48V, switchable
- 1 x 1/4" Stereo (Phones)
- 2 x 1/4" TRS (Main Out)
- 4 x RCA (Playback Outputs)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 43 kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- Maximum Output Level: +3 dBu
- Software Support:
- Operating Systems: Mac OS X, Windows XP or higher
- Drivers: Mac: No driver required / CoreAudio supported, Windows: Available as a download from Behringer.com
- Dynamic Range: 100 dB, A-weighted
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 43 kHz (0 / +0.3 dB)
- Type: 2 x 1/4" TRS
- Impedance: 100 Ω send / 10 kΩ return
- Maximum Input Level: +3 dBu
- MIDI I/O: 5-Pin DIN, 1 in, 1 out
- Direct Monitor Control: Mix balance control (input <>playback)
- Headphones DJ Cueing: Monitor A/B switch (out 1/2, 3/4 selection)
- Supported Sample Rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 kHz
- Computer Connectivity: USB type-B, 2.0
- Kensington Security Lock: Yes
- Power Consumption: Maximum 2.5 W
- Power Supply: 5 VDC / 1000 mA
- Mains Voltage: 100 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions: Width - 7.313", Height - 1.88", Depth - 7.0" (w/USB cord)
- Weight: 1.4 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get 2 more mic preamps, plus more connections
The Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD offers these features:
handles 4 input and 4 output channels to and from your DAW software
4 Midas-designed microphone preamps
XLR main line outputs
four 1/4" TRS balanced playback outputs
2 additional insert jacks for external effects
includes an AC adapter, not powered by your computer