Behringer X32 RACK
Rack-mount 16-channel digital mixer
Our take on the Behringer X32 RACK by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
It all comes down to the music
You need control to mix music well — control over levels, tones, dynamics, and clarity, among other considerations. Behringer's X32 RACK digital mixer puts that control at your fingertips with the awesome power of digital processing and remote control. Midas-designed preamps give each microphone input a high-fidelity start to its journey toward a great final mix.
More than 16 inputs, over 8 outputs
Besides sixteen channels of mic inputs, the X32 RACK sports six auxiliary 1/4" TRS inputs and a couple of RCAs so virtually any source can enter into this mixer's realm. Eight balanced XLR outputs provide the mixes for your PA speakers, monitors, or recording devices. You can assign the auxiliary inputs and outputs so they can be used as channel insertion points for outboard hardware. You can also expand your X32 to full 32-in, 16-out capabilities with the addition of a Behringer S-16 digital snake.
You can record up to 32 channels at once to your computer's DAW via a USB connection, for studio-quality multitrack live recording. For multi-channel inputs, the X32 RACK is compatible with digital snakes, so you can use thin Cat-5e wires to connect to the stage instead of a thick, multicore cable. You can also plug in an optional Behringer P16-M personal mixer, via Ethernet cable, for musician-controlled monitor mixing. Plus, you can plug in a router to run your mixer wirelessly from an iPad®, iPhone®, or PC via the free apps.
Saving settings and presets
When the mix is perfect, you can save your settings as a scene that you can recall for a later show, saving valuable set up time. You also have the ability to save a "snippet," a subset of the mixer's overall settings, like the vocal EQ and compression or the mix of a drum kit. Behringer loaded a collection of preset scenes and snippets to help get you started on your particular mix, including some from world-class music producers and sound engineers, who use X32s themselves.
Channel strip processing and the 5" display screen
Every input and output channel has access to the channel strip controls that include gain, phantom power, high-pass filtering, a noise gate, limiter/compression, 4-band parametric equalization, and bus assignments. A push of the view button brings up a more detailed description on the 5" display or on your device's screen. The other plug-in type effects, like reverbs and delays, also show up on the screen as virtual hardware devices when selected. Actuators adjust onscreen parameters and let you see and control functions like routing, mute groups, and scene recall.
You can fill each of the eight stereo effects slots with one of at least forty different effects, like graphic equalizers, compressors, including a multi-band version, different reverbs, delays, a pitch bender, even guitar amp simulations. Behringer modeled each plug-in to emulate or sound like a modern or classic piece of hardware. A 100-band RTA displays the spectrum of the sound so you can see the hot spots and dips that require equalization. The first eight channels of the X32 RACK can get assigned to Auto-Mix, which automatically lowers the levels of some of the mics when a prioritized mic is active, clearing up the sound in multi-mic panel discussions for instance.
Rack-mount 16-channel Digital Mixer:
- 16 XLR microphone inputs
- Midas-designed programmable microphone preamps
- 6 TRS 1/4" and 2 RCA auxiliary inputs
- 8 XLR analog outputs (outputs 7-8 are main stereo outputs)
- 6 TRS 1/4" and 2 RCA auxiliary outputs
- auxiliary inputs and outputs are assignable and can serve as channel inserts
Channel Strip Digital Processing for all Channels:
- mic preamp gain, phantom power, phase switch, tunable low-cut filter
- noise gate/ducker, compressor/expander
- 4-band parametric equalizer
- bus send controls and panning
- 8 effects slots
- over 40 effects available (including reverbs, compressors, EQs, delays, and modulators)
- can store and recall over 100 scenes (whole mixer settings) and 100 snippets (partial settings)
- Auto-Mix on ch 1-8: ducks non-prioritized channels when prioritized mic active
Studio and Network Connections:
- 16-channel digital interface via USB 2.0 with DAW remote control
- Ethernet port for connecting a PC or wireless router
- wireless iPad and iPhone control via free apps
- digital snake ready
- front USB connection for data transfer and 2-track recording
- MIDI connection
- Ultranet connection for a Behringer P-16 personal monitoring system
- connection to an optional Beyringer S-16 digital snake adds 16 inputs and 8 outputs to the mixer
- 5" high-resolution TFT display with data encoders
- built-in RTA (real-time analyzer)
- headphone output and talkback channel
- weight: 14.4 lbs.
- dimensions: 19" W x 5-1/4" H x 13-1/2" D
- warranty: 3 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Rack mixer
- 56" Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- 4 Rubber feet w/adhesive
- Quick start guide (Eng / Span / Fren and Others)
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Line inputs||6 x 1/4", 2 x RCA|
|Channel EQ||6-band parametric|
|Master EQ||6-band parametric|
|Digital outputs||2 USB 2.0|
|Monitor outputs||6 x XLR, 2 x 1/4"|
|Effects||8 slots, over 50 effects|
Overview: The Behringer X32Rack is a 40-input, 25-bus digital mixer designed for both live and studio applications. Its ergonomic control panel allows for a streamlined workflow with extensive signal processing, I/O routing, and studio integration. Some of the X32Rack's key features include: 16 MIDAS-designed mic preamps, 8 XLR outputs, 8 stereo effects processors (16 mono) with 50+ effects available, high-resolution 5" color TFT display, iPad and iPhone apps for remote operation, and more.
MIDAS Preamps: The X32Rack's mic preamps, gain controls and A/D stages were designed and engineered by MIDAS, the company famous for their award-winning mic preamplifiers. This proprietary preamp design captures every nuance of the input signal. Gain setting is fully programmable and covers a total range of 72 dB, with a resolution of 0.5 dB per step. The input section uses audiophile-quality Cirrus Logic multi-channel A/D converters, which boast a 114 dB dynamic range.
Virtual FX Rack: The Virtual FX Rack features 8 true-stereo, studio-grade effects engines, each assignable to any input, group, or output mix bus. Over fifty high-end FX modules are available and include a range of reverbs, delays, EQ's, dynamics and more.
AES50: Included on the rear panel are two AES50 RJ-45 ports. These offer up to 96 channels of bidirectional signal flow and are designed to integrate with the Behringer S16 digital stage box, which is a multi-input, pre-amp, break-out box for stage use. These ports can also be used to link other X32s together eliminating the need for signal splitters. This is useful when one X32 is used as a FOH (Front of House) mixer and all of the input channel signals need to be passed on to a monitor mixer for the musicians.
X-USB: Behringer's X-USB port is a rear mounted USB (Type B, 2.0) on an expansion board, that allows up to 32 tracks of recording and playback through your computer, supporting 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rates at 24-Bit resolution. Audio from a DAW can also be run through the X32's built-in FX engines, lessening the work load of the computer. The X-USB port resides on a removable board that can be replaced with optional expansion boards, allowing for different types of DAW connections such as, FireWire, ADAT, MADI, and Dante.
Ultranet: Ultranet is a proprietary protocol, utilizing CAT5 cable, that allows up to 16 channels of personal monitoring using Behringer's optional P16-M personal monitor mixer. This allows musicians to customize their own monitor mix. Multiple P16-M units can be daisy-chained or used with a P16-D Ultranet distributor.
Smartphone/iPad Integration: Behringer offers control apps for iPads and smartphones (iOS and Android):
- X32-Mix: This iPad app lets you control all mic inputs, AUX inputs and buses, as well as the FX stereo returns and more.
- X32-Q: This app, for iPhone and Android, allows each artist to adjust and tweak their own monitor mixes.
Front Panel and Display: The Behringer X32Rack includes a high-resolution 5"color TFT display, for easy viewing of workflow components and parameters, and an ergonomic front panel layout.
- Main/Solo Meters: A 18-segment LED meter displays the main output level as well as the solo level of all channels whose Solo buttons are active.
- Main Menu Buttons: Ten Main Menu buttons along each side of the screen provide quick editing access to all the main functions of the mixer. These include: Home, Meters, Routing, Setup, Library, Effects, Scenes, Monitor, and Mute Group. The tenth button, Utility, accesses certain utility functions within each of the previous nine options.
- Push Encoders: Six push encoders are provided along the bottom of the LCD screen that allow quick editing of that particular function within any of the editable screens.
- Layer Buttons: Some screens in the Main Display have more than six editable parameters which can be accessed by the Layer Up/Down buttons.
- Page Select Buttons: These two buttons will scroll through the available screens or confirm/decline certain actions.
- Monitor Level: Adjusts the level to the Monitor outputs as well as the front panel Headphone output.
- Talk Button/Level: This section includes a Talk button, which activates the Talkback mic input on rear panel, and a Level control for talkback volume.
- Main Level: Controls the volume of the main stereo output bus.
- Clear Solo: This button lights to indicate if one or more channels has been soloed. Pressing will deactivate the solo function for all tracks that are soloed.
- Channel Select: Determines which channel will be active and can be viewed/controlled from the front panel while a two character LED display in this section shows the channel number. A six-segment LED strip shows the Channel Type and an eight-segment LED Level Meter strip displays the pre-fader input level of the selected channel.
- Channel Level: This knob adjusts the level for the selected channel.
- Mute/Solo: Individual buttons for these two functions affect the currently selected channel.
- USB: The front panel USB (Type-A, 2.0) is used for recording or playing back WAV files, loading/saving scenes, and loading firmware updates. A corresponding USB button opens the Recorder View on the main display.
Rear Panel: The X32's inputs and outputs are grouped into the following sections:
- Inputs 1-16: All the 16 main inputs into the mixer are female 3-pin balanced XLR connections with MIDAS preamps.
- Auxiliary In/Out: This section provides six 1/4" balanced TRS connections and a pair of stereo unbalanced RCAs for the Aux Input and a duplicate set of the same plugs for the Aux Output.
- Outputs 1-16: The X32Rack provides 8 assignable male 3-pin balanced XLR output connections. Outputs 7 and 8 act as the Main Left/Right output.
- Monitor/Control Room: The Monitor out section includes a pair of stereo 1/4" balanced outputs.
- X-USB Card Slot: A USB (Type B, 2.0) connection allows up to 32 channels of audio to be transmitted to and from a computer. This card is removable and can be replaced with other optional expansion cards such as FireWire, ADAT, MADI, and others.
- Remote Control: An RJ-45 connection is provided for remote control from a computer.
- MIDI In/Out: Female MIDI In and Out connectors can send and receive MIDI commands via standard 5-pin DIN cables. These provide MIDI integration with a DAW or recording software.
- AES/EBU Out: Allows the Main signal to be sent out digitally on a 3-pin AES/EBU XLR cable.
- Ultranet: This is an RJ-45 port used with Behringer's P16-M personal monitor mix units. These let musicians dial in up to 16 channels of personal monitor mix and can be daisy-chained together or used in conjunction with a Behringer P16-D hub.
- AES50 A/B: Two AES50 ports (A and B) are provided for digital networking of up to 96 channels of audio over shielded CAT5 cable. This can be used for sharing signals among several X32s or to run to remote stage boxes.
- Main Inputs: 16
- Aux Sends/Returns: 8/8
- XLR outputs: 16
- RCA inputs/outputs: 2/2
- Monitor Outputs: Two balanced 1/4" TRS
- Aux inputs/outputs, 1/4" TRS bal: 6/6
- Phone output, 1/4" TRS: 1(stereo)
- AES50 ports: 2
- P-16/Ultranet (RJ-45): 1
- USB Type A, front panel, for audio and data import/export: 1
- USB Type B, rear panel, for remote and DAW interface: 2
- Ethernet, RJ-45, rear, for remote control: 1
- Internal effects engines, stereo/mono: 8/16
- Signal processing: 40-bit floating point
- A/D - D/A conversion: 24 bit@ 44.1/48 kHz, 114dB dynamic range
- I/O latency (console input to output): 0.8 ms
- Network latency (stagebox in > console > stagebox out): 1.1 ms
- THD + noise, 20 dB gain, 0 dBu out: <0.006% A-weighted
- Input Impedance XLR, unbal./bal. : 5 kΩ / 10 kΩ
- Non clip maximum input level, XLR: +23 dBu
- Phantom power, switchable per input: +48V
- Frequency range, @ 48 kHz sample rate, 0 dB to -1 dB: 10 Hz - 22 kHz
- Dynamic range, analog in to analog out: 106 dB
- A/D dynamic range, preamp and converter: 109 dB
- D/A dynamic range, converter and output: 108 dB
- Cross talk rejection @ 1 kHz, adjacent channels:
- Output level, XLR, nom. / max. : +4 dBu / +21 dBu
- Output impedance, XLR, unbal. / bal. : 75 Ω / 75 Ω
- Input impedance TRS jack, unbal. / bal. : 20 kΩ / 40 kΩ
- Non clip maximum input level, TRS: +16 dBu
- Nominal output level, TRS: +4 dBu / +16 dBu
- Output impedance, TRS, unbal. / bal. : 150 Ω / 300 Ω
- Phones output impedance / level: 40 Ω / +25 dBm (stereo)
- Switch-mode power supply: Autorange 100 - 240 V (50/60 Hz)
- Power consumption: 120 W
- Main screen: 5", 800 x 480, 262k color TFT
- Main meter: 18-segment (-57 dB to clip)
- Operating Temperature: 41˚F - 104˚F (5˚C - 40˚C)
- Dimensions: 19.0" x 5.25" x 13.5"
- Weight: 14.4 lbs. (6.5kg)
Warranty Terms: Behringer offers a 3-year warranty when you register your product within 90 calendar days of purchase. If the product is not properly registered, the warranty period is one year.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Behringer X32 RACK
Rack-mount 16-channel digital mixer$999.99
Behringer X Air XR18
18-channel remote-controlled digital mixer with Wi-Fi®
24-channel remote-controlled digital mixer with built-in Wi-Fi®$999.00
32-channel digital mixer