Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the McIntosh MAC6700 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
A no-compromise stereo receiver
I used to have a sniffy attitude toward receivers. To me, they were a compromise product for the kind of listener who wouldn't or couldn't be bothered with the superior sound of separate components. But as I looked into the details of the MAC6700 stereo receiver, my attitude took a serious hit. That's because McIntosh has clearly designed this beast of a receiver to deliver performance every bit as stunning as their separate amps, preamps, and tuners, only with the convenience of a single chassis. And they provided all the inputs needed for music lovers to enjoy their favorite analog and digital sources.
Along with its sonic attributes, the MAC6700 boasts the classic McIntosh look — black glass front panel, glowing blue power meters, big metal knobs, and illuminated logo. And, this gorgeous receiver is designed and built right here in the USA.
Enjoy all your music at its best, from high-res digital files to vinyl
The MAC6700 features multiple analog and digital inputs, a potent stereo amplifier, and a superb radio tuner.
With a total of 11 audio inputs, including three digital connections, the MAC6700 offers some of the best versatility we've seen on a stereo receiver. For your analog audio gear, you'll find five unbalanced RCA inputs, plus a balanced XLR input for professional or high-end source components. The high-quality built-in phono preamp provides separate connections for a turntable with either a moving-magnet or moving-coil cartridge.
Your digital sources are covered, too, with inputs that give you access to the receiver's high-performance digital-to-analog converter (DAC). It's a great way to seriously upgrade the sound from your disc player, music streamer, or TV. The USB input handles digital music files up to 24-bit/192kHz for enjoying high-resolution audio from your computer.
Power to spare
One area where many receivers often get dinged for their performance is their amplifier section. Not so with the MAC6700! This powerful, 76-pound titan delivers a whopping 200 watts per channel. And you can count on smooth, warm, non-fatiguing sound that McIntosh amplifiers are known for. One reason is the company's patented output Autoformers. These special output transformers feature dedicated connections for speaker impedances of 8, 4, or 2 ohms to ensure that the receiver will deliver its full rated power into any speaker load. It's an expensive way to build an amp, but it means that even exotic, difficult-to-drive high-end speakers will perform admirably with the MAC6700.
A Home Theater Pass Through feature lets you make the MAC6700 part of a multichannel surround sound system. The right and left front channels from an A/V processor or surround decoder can pass through the receiver's analog inputs, allowing you to bring its full 200 watts per channel to bear on your main front speakers.
Even with the growing number of music sources out there, over-the-air radio still holds magic. If you want to enjoy it through your system with the best sound possible, you need a great tuner, like the one McIntosh built into the MAC6700. It's been carefully crafted to deliver optimum sound from AM and FM radio broadcasts. With 20 presets available for each radio band, you'll have quick access to your favorite stations
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since its founding in 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction, while setting industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
No doubt about it, the McIntosh MAC6700 is a Prime Time receiver! Thanks to the Crutchfield team for handling my order!
Paul, Plano, TX
What's in the Box:
- Stereo receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- AM antenna
- 15' Antenna cable
- Owner's Manual
- 200 watts x 2 channels into 2, 4, or 8 ohms
- total harmonic distortion: 0.005% at 20-20,000 Hz
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz (+0, -3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 95dB (line level), 84dB (phono MM) 82dB (phono MC), 113dB (power amp)
- wide-band damping factor: greater than 40
- built-in McIntosh Digital Engine up-sampling DAC for decoding digital audio sources
- AM/FM tuner with 20 presets per radio band
- built-in High Drive headphone amplifier
- large power transformer with multiple filter capacitors and regulated power supply ensures stable, noise-free operation
- patented McIntosh output Autoformers ensure every connected speaker receives full power regardless of its impedance
- patented McIntosh Power Guard circuit prevents amplifier clipping to protect speakers
- Sentry Monitor and Thermal Protection circuits provide long amplifier operating life and protection against overheating
- Home Theater Pass Through mode allows receiver's amplifier to become part of a multichannel sound system
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
- adjustable front-panel display brightness settings
- illuminated power meters (with illumination on/off settings)
- handcrafted at McIntosh's Binghamton, New York factory
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
- supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/192kHz
- dedicated McIntosh USB audio driver required for playback on a Windows® PC
- (free USB driver download available from McIntosh's website)
- 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio input
- supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/96kHz
- 1 set of balanced stereo XLR inputs
- 5 stereo RCA audio inputs
- separate RCA phono inputs for moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges
- adjustable input impedance loading for optimum sonic performance with a range of MC cartridges (50-, 100-, 200-, 400-, and 1000-ohm settings)
- IR input for connecting an IR receiver
- custom McIntosh gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors with 2-ohm, 4-ohm, and 8-ohm output taps to match speaker impedance
- full-size headphone output (20-600 ohms recommended impedance)
- RCA preamp out/power amp input jacks
Other Info and Specs:
- asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound
- bass and treble controls with tone control circuitry bypass settings for each individual input source
- Power Control output provides convenient turn-on/off of McIntosh source components
- 6 Data Ports provide remote control of connected McIntosh source components
- RS232-C connector for connection to a computer or other control device
- 17-1/2"W x 7-5/8"H x 22"D
- weight: 76 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
McIntosh MAC6700 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||200|
|THD in Stereo||0.005%|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||15.2 dBf|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||113dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||84dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||N/A|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||10|
|Digital Audio Inputs||1 Coax/1 Optical|
|Speaker Output Pairs||---|
Features200W Per Channel Stereo Receiver: The McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver consists of a 200 watts per channel stereo power amplifier with less than 0.005% distortion.
Exclusive McIntosh Power Assurance System: The McIntosh MAC6700 employs a collection of technologies that enhance performance and reliability while protecting the stereo receiver and loudspeakers.
- Output Autoformers: McIntosh output Autoformers ensure every connected speaker receives full power regardless of its impedance. This unique patented McIntosh technology delivers the full-rated amplifier output with the least possible distortion into loudspeaker impedances of 2, 4, or 8Ω; you get all the power you paid for and the freedom to choose any loudspeaker. The Autoformers also provide perfect DC protection for your valuable loudspeakers.
- Power Guard Circuit: Power Guard is waveform comparison circuit continuously monitors both input and output signals. Power Guard dynamically adjusts the input level to avoid clipping while preventing harsh sounding distortion. The receiver's front-panel LED indicator will flash when Power Guard is activated.
- Sentry Monitor Technology: McIntosh Sentry Monitor power output stage protection circuits ensure the MAC6700 will have a long and trouble-free operating life. Sentry Monitor is a fuse-less short-circuit protection circuit that disengages the output stage before current exceeds safe operating level; resets automatically.
- ThermalTrak & Thermal Protection: The stereo receiver uses ThermalTrak output transistors for lower distortion and cool operation. Built-in thermal protection circuits guard against overheating. If the stereo receiver overheats due to improper ventilation and/or high ambient operating temperature, AC Power is removed from the MAC6700. Normal operation will resume when the operating temperature is in a safe range again.
Classic McIntosh Design: The MAC6700 stereo receiver incorporates classic McIntosh design cues, including a black glass front-panel, rotary knobs, illuminated logo, and brushed aluminum end-caps. The receiver's large power transformer, multiple filter capacitors with 120 Joules of energy storage and regulated power supply ensure stable noise free operation.
AM/FM Tuner: The built in AM/FM tuner receives your favorite radio stations with clarity that is free from noise and distortion. It features the same high performance as McIntosh's stand alone tuners, along with 20 presets for each radio band, as well as a remote AM antenna. An amplified AM antenna is included for excellent AM reception (no FM antenna is included).
Electromagnetic Input Switching: Electronic input switching is used in McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver to switch the variety of source components connected. Rather than the commonly-used mechanical switches that will deteriorate with wear, electromagnetic switches are high tech switching nodes that allow very long, trouble-free operation.
Analog Audio Inputs & Record Outputs: The McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver is fitted with balanced & unbalanced analog audio inputs, as well as two phono (MM/MC) inputs.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs: The McIntosh MAC6700 receiver is equipped with one balanced stereo XLR input and four unbalanced stereo RCA inputs. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- MM/MC Phono Inputs: The McIntosh MAC6700 has two dedicated phono sections, one for Moving Coil (MC) Phono Cartridges and the other for Moving Magnet (MM) Cartridges. Both phono sections provide the lowest possible noise and distortion. The RIAA Correction Equalization Circuitry utilizes close tolerance resistors and capacitors for an extremely flat frequency response. The MAC6700 will breathe new life into your record collection and deliver the best possible sound from your turntable.
- Record Output: The receiver also offers two sets of stereo RCA record outputs for connecting a recording device.
32-Bit/192kHz DAC: The McIntosh MAC6700's digital engine will decode your digital music at up to 32-bits and 192kHz, delivering McIntosh analog sound quality. The MAC6700 offers optical, coaxial, & USB-B digital inputs.
- Asynchronous USB-B Input: The stereo receiver features a
asynchronous USB-B input for playing back music files from your computer.
Asynchronous technology allows the digital clock inside the MAC6700's DAC to
control the flow of data coming from your computer. This method of communication
leads to less jitter (timing errors) for the MAC6700 to deal with which results
in clearer more defined sound. The receiver can decode and play back high res
2ch stereo PCM audio signal up to 32-bit/192kHz from your Windows PC or Mac
computer. Your Windows PC or Mac computer must meet the following system
- Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10; a Windows PC will require the installation of McIntosh's USB Audio Window Driver (available on the McIntosh website)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later; a Mac computer does not require the installation of an additional USB audio driver
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The McIntosh MAC6700 has one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. These digital inputs will decode 2ch stereo PCM signals up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: McIntosh Patented gold-plated, binding-post speaker terminals deliver high current output to a single pair of loudspeakers. They accept large diameter wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (single only), and spade lugs. The receiver's Left & Right speaker channels have separate Positive (+) binding-post terminals, labeled "2Ω"/ "4Ω" / "8Ω". Each Left & Right speaker channel has only one Negative (-) binding-post terminal that is shared between the positive terminals.
Note: You can connect a single pair of loudspeakers to the Left & Right Positive (+) binding-post terminals along with the shared ground terminals, for a total of three pair of loudspeakers. Make sure the speakers ohm rating matches up with the terminals ohm rating. If you have 6Ω speakers, use the 4Ω output terminals.
Headphone Amp: The MAC6700 incorporates a built-in headphone amp with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack. The built-in headphone amplifier features increased gain and output power, and is optimized and designed to power virtually all types of headphones (20-600Ω) for an enjoyable personal listening experience. Speaker outputs may or may not be muted during headphone playback; your choice.
Pre-Out, Pass Through, & Bi-Amp Compatible: When the MAC6700 is part of a home theater or multichannel audio system, the Right and Left Front channels from an AV processor or surround decoder can pass through the stereo receiver and onto its associated power amplifier. The stereo receiver can also be used as a preamplifier, so you can use a separate amplifier to power your loudspeakers. In addition, together with an additional separate power amplifier (sold separately), the MAC6700 can be used to bi-amplify a loudspeaker system.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: On the front-panel of the stereo receiver are Input & Volume rotary knobs, Output 1 and Output 2 buttons, Tone bypass, Mute button, and Standby/On button. The McIntosh MAC6700 also includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the receiver. In addition, the remote operates other McIntosh audio components. The IR remote offers the following button functions - Power On/Off, Input Selection, Volume Up/Down, Setup/Menu, Numeric Keypad, and Playback Control.
- Precision Volume Control: Volume levels are controlled by a precision balanced digitally controlled attenuator system with an optical encoder rotary control. This assures a 0.1dB tracking accuracy between channels. There are 225 individual 0.5dB volume level steps with no noise as the volume level is changed.
- Bass & Treble: The Bass & Treble controls provide up to 12dB of boost or cut. The MAC6700 remembers the Bass & Treble Setting for each input.
- Balance Left/Right: You are also able to balance the output level of the stereo receiver's left & right output channels.
- Source Level: Each audio source input can be matched in level, preventing abrupt changes in volume levels.
Fluorescent Display + Illuminated Power Meters: The stereo receiver's front-panel display indicates source selection, volume levels, tone adjustments, and setup functions. The Illuminated power output watt meters on the MAC6700 are peak responding, and indicate the power output of the stereo receiver.
Custom Integration: The McIntosh MAC6700 offers advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration using premium control systems.
- Power Control Connectors: The MAC6700 has the ability to automatically switch power on or off to source components via the Power Control connections. The MAC6700's "Main, "Trigger 1/2", and "PASSTHRU" Output Jacks (3.5mm) send power on/off signals (+12 volt/0volt) when connected to other McIntosh source components. The Power Control outputs can be assigned to activate when a given input or output is selected.
- Data Ports: The MAC6700's six Data Out Ports (3.5mm) send remote control signals to McIntosh source components. These Data Port connections allow for the remote operation of basic functions using the MAC6700's Remote Control.
- IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input allows the connection of an external IR receiver. With an external sensor connected to the MAC6700, remote control operation of the system is possible from another room and/or when the MAC6700 is located in a cabinet with the doors closed. The signal from a connected external IR receiver will have priority over the signal from the receiver's front-panel IR sensor.
- RS-232C Port: The stereo receiver's RS-232C port requires a 3.5mm stereo minijack to a subminiature DB 9 connector cable (sold separately) to transmit and receive RS-232 commands.
AC Power Cord + Auto Power Off: The McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver has a detachable AC power cord with 3-pole IEC connector. The MAC6700 incorporates an Auto Off feature, which automatically places the receiver into the Power Saving Standby/Off Mode after approximately 30 minutes of inactivity or no audio signal.
Mounting Options: The McIntosh MAC6700 can be placed upright on a table or shelf, standing on its four feet. It also can be custom installed in a piece of furniture or cabinet of your choice. The four feet may be removed from the bottom of the MAC6700 when it is custom installed. Always provide adequate ventilation for your MAC6700. Allow at least 2" above the top, 2" below the bottom, and 2" on each side of the receiver, so that airflow is not obstructed.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Been putting this purchase off for long enough. [ Paul Dec 12, 2016 ]
Employee gift for 30 years of service. its what he wanted. [ Andrew Nov 02, 2016 ]
Long time owner of McIntosh Equipment since 1968 [ Michael J. Mar 10, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
How can I adding subwoofer with this receiver? [ Thien May 13, 2017 ]
Not yet. I'm still on the debate which wireless streamer can work best with this unit!? Thank you for asking [ Thien May 13, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jul 29, 2016 ] Staff