Stereo SACD/CD transport
Our take on the McIntosh MCT500 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Extract every musical detail from your discs
I can still remember when CD players were new technology — how deeply I coveted a machine that could do justice to every sublime note of the music I loved. The McIntosh MCT500 disc transport offers a level of accurate digital playback that would have blown my mind then, and still can. It plays SACD, CD, CD-R, and CD-RW, including MP3 and WMA discs — whatever you need it to do — and it has the technology to make them sound amazing.
Solidly built — inside and out
The MCT500's premium die-cast aluminum disc tray and advanced transport mechanism provide fast, quiet, and accurate handling of all your discs. The transport's twin laser optical pickup ensures optimal playback of high-res sources. Audio data is read at twice normal speed to provide better tracking and error correction with damaged CDs and CD-R/RWs.
As much as I love the top-notch electronics inside, I must confess I love the way McIntosh components look, too. The entire unit is housed in a classic polished stainless steel chassis with a black glass front panel and brushed aluminum end caps.
The softly illuminated black glass front panel, brushed aluminum end caps, and two-tone stainless steel chassis give the MCT500 a classic McIntosh look.
Versatile digital outputs
The MCT500 requires connection to an external DAC or other component with a built-in digital-to-analog converter. Here are the transport's digital output options for playing music through those components:
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs: Use these outputs for playing your CDs through a component with matching inputs, like the McIntosh MAC7200 stereo receiver or MA5300 integrated amplifier.
- XLR digital balanced audio output: This high-quality output is designed for sending CD sound to components with a matching digital XLR input.
- DIN digital audio output: This specialized output feeds both CD (PCM) and SACD (DSD) digital audio signals from the MCT500 to compatible McIntosh preamps like the C47 analog and digital preamplifier and D150 digital preamplifier, for ultra-high-performance decoding.
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since its founding in 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction, while setting industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
- stereo playback for SACDs, hybrid SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- high-precision disc mechanism with sturdy die-cast aluminum disc tray
- disc audio data is read at twice normal speed for better error correction and tracking
- linear power supply with special R-Core power transformer and multiple regulators to ensure stable noise-free operation
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel and mirror-finish stainless steel chassis for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
- front-panel USB input for music playback from USB flash drives
- digital audio outputs:
- optical (Toslink) and coaxial (RCA)
- XLR (AES/EBU)
- DIN (MCT) - proprietary McIntosh cable included
- DIN digital audio output available for SACD playback when connected to a compatible McIntosh component with DIN input
- Power Control input jack receives turn-on signals from a McIntosh component
- Power Control output jack sends turn-on signals to another McIntosh component
- Data In jack receives control data from a McIntosh Control Center
- IR input for connecting an IR receiver
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/2"W x 6"H x 19"D
- weight: 26 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||---|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||3 years|
|Labor Warranty||3 years|
|SACD Playback||2-Channel / Multi-Channel|
|CD Frequency Response||---|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||---|
|SACD Frequency Response||---|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
Why did you buy this?
My dad really wanted it. [ Cindy Mar 07, 2018 ]