DJI Zenmuse X4S
Mirrorless camera with lens and gimbal
Our take on the DJI Zenmuse X4S by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A quality aerial camera
The Zenmuse X4S produces gorgeous aerial video and photos, and really shines when paired with the CineCore 2.0 image processing system in the DJI Inspire 2 quadcopter. It comes with a sophisticated 3-axis gimbal that stabilizes the camera so you get smooth, jitter-free images. The free DJI GO 4 app offers remote control of the camera's functions and settings.
Packed with pro features
In spite of its name, the camera's Micro Four Thirds sensor is rather large when compared to, say, a point-and-shoot camera. That means you get detailed 20-megapixel still photos and 5.2K video at 30 frames per second. The camera is capable of up to 11.6 stops of dynamic range, so you can shoot in just about any type of light. You can freeze action with shutter speeds down to 1/8000th of a second, or capture up to 14 frames per second in burst mode.
- mirrorless, compact Micro Four Thirds camera and gimbal for aerial photography and cinematography
- compatible with the DJI Inspire 2
- takes sharp, clear 20-megapixel still photos
- 5.2K video at up to 30fps
- sensitive 1" CMOS image sensor
- 11.6 stops of dynamic range for sharp images in high- and low-light environments
- custom-engineered DJI 8.8mm lens included
- up to 14 frames per second in burst mode
- ISO range: 100-6400 (video), 100-12800 (still photos)
- mechanical shutter speed: 8-1/2000 sec.
- electronic shutter speed: 1/2000-1/8000 sec.
- 84° field of view
- records to optional microSD memory card (maximum capacity of 64 GB)
- remotely control camera functions and settings with the free DJI GO 4 app
- precise gimbal motor rotation powered by a dedicated processor
- 3-3/16"W x 4-15/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 8.92 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Gimbal camera
- Protective cap
- Carrying case
- Quick Start Guide
Zenmuse X4S: The Zenmuse X4S has a 20 megapixel 1" image sensor, low distortion 24mm equivalent lens, and 3-axis gimbal mount. Working in tandem with the CineCore 2.0 image processing system of DJI Inspire 2 (sold separately), the Zenmuse X4S makes photo and video capture effortless. Combined with CineCore 2.0, the Inspire 2's powerful image processing system, it can record 4K/60 H.264 and 4K/30 H.265 videos at a 100Mbps bitrate, and oversample 5.2K video into 4K video in real-time, capturing fine image details. In Burst Mode, the Zenmuse X4S supports 14fps shooting at 20 megapixels in both JPEG and DNG formats. It is able to make the difficult balance between agility and image quality.
Compatibility: The Zenmuse X4S is currently only compatible with DJI's Inspire 2 aerial drone (sold separately). It may be supported on additional DJI products in the future (no ETA).
1" Exmor R CMOS Image Sensor: The Zenmuse X4S's 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor uses large pixels measuring 2.4μm per pixel to create 20 megapixel images and 11.6 stops of dynamic range. Compared with the Zenmuse X3, which uses a 1/2.3-inch sensor, the Zenmuse X4S has an additional stop of dynamic range and 1.5 more stops signal-to-noise ratio and color sensitivity, as well as a maximum ISO of 12,800, for even more stunning imaging capabilities.
Professional-Grade Lens: The custom-engineered 8.8mm/F2.8-11 lens is compact with low distortion and has a radial dispersion of only 3μm that is equivalent to a 24 focal length on a 35mm camera. Its high MTF rating performance and removal of low pass filters make the Zenmuse X4S an incredibly powerful camera for its size, both in the air and on the ground. The Zenmuse X4S also uses a leaf shutter capable of 1/2000 shutter speeds, eliminating rolling shutter distortion that can occur when taking images of fast moving subjects or when flying at high speed, allowing dramatic shots to be captured more easily. This 84° FOV, high resolution lens makes the Zenmuse X4S a powerful aerial imaging system.
3-Axis Gimbal: The 3-axis gimbal provides an incredibly stable and mobile platform for the Zenmuse X4S camera system to capture completely smooth images and videos. The gimbal can tilt the camera up to 170°, pan 320°, and roll 20° in either direction. The combined stability of the 3-axis gimbal and the Inspire 2 effectively give the Zenmuse X4S a tripod in the sky, making high-altitude 8 second exposures a reality.
Precision Stabilization: Its lightweight design combined with high speed processing makes the Zenmuse X4S gimbal motors ultra-reactive. It responds instantly to subtle movements of the airframe and neutralizes it to keep the camera stable. With a precision of ±0.01°, combined with three damping balls and lightweight damping boards that neutralize vibration, footage is completely smooth.
DJI Go App: DJI's GO app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) is tightly integrated with the X4S, acting as both a HD live feed to see the camera's image and the primary control system for the camera from your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. It can be used to change camera settings, capture photo or video, and activate Intelligent Flight Modes. Photo and video capture can also be controlled through dedicated controls on the Remote Controller of your compatible DJI Inspire 2 aerial drone.
4K Ultra HD Video: Used with the Inspire 2 CineCore 2.0 image processing system, the Zenmuse X4S records 4K/60 using H.264 and 4K/30 using H.265, both with a 100Mbps bitrate onto a microSD card loaded into the DJI Inspire 2. It also supports oversampling of 5.2K video to 4K, while 3D denoising technology and 3D LUT color reproduction technology retains fine detail in captured images.
- H.264 (MP4/MOV):
- C4K: 4096x2160 23.976/24/25/29.97/47.95/50/59.94p @100Mbps
- 4K: 3840x2160 23.976/24/25/29.97/47.95/50/59.94p @100Mbps
- 2.7K: 2720x1530 23.976/24/25/29.97p @80Mbps or 2720x1530 47.95/50/59.94p @100Mbps
- FHD: 1920x1080 23.976/24/25/29.97p @60Mbps or 1920x1080 47.95/50/59.94p @100Mbps
- H.265 (MP4/MOV):
- C4K: 4096x2160 23.976/24/25/29.97p @100Mbps
- 4K: 3840x2160 23.976/24/25/29.97p @100Mbps
- 2.7K: 2720x1530 23.976/24/25/29.97p @65Mbps or 2720x1530 47.95/50/59.94p @80Mbps
- FHD: 1920x1080 23.976/24/25/29.97p @50Mbps or 1920x1080 47.95/50/59.94p @65Mbps or 1920x1080 119.88p @ 100Mbps
20MP Photos: The DJI Zenmuse X4S captures photos at 20 megapixels in JPEG, DNG, or JPEG+GNG onto a microSD card loaded into the DJI Inspire 2. You can use the DJI Go App on your compatible smartphone device or the controller of your compatible DJI drone as the camera's shutter button. The following advanced photography controls can be done through the DJI Go App.
- Image Size: 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9
- Shooting Modes: Single Shot (Normal), Burst (take 3/5/7/10/14 shots in a row), Auto Exposure Bracketing (take 3/5 bracketed frames with +/- 0.7EV steps for exposure compensation), or Time-Lapse (take 2/3/5/7/10/15/20/30/60 second intervals).
- Exposure Modes: Auto (shutter speed/aperture set automatically), Shutter Priority (manually set shutter speed while camera automatically sets aperture), Aperture Priority (manually aperture while camera automatically sets shutter speed), or Manual (manually set shutter speed and aperture).
- ISO Range: 100-25600
- Photo Styles: Standard (general purpose for most scenes), Landscape (focus on as much of scene as possible with large depth of field), Soft (suitable for scenes with natural or soft colors), or Custom (manually set sharpness/contrast/saturation).
- White Balance: Auto (auto white balance), Preset Modes (Sunny/Cloudy/Incandescent/Neon), or Custom (2000k-10000K).
- Color: Ordinary, TrueColor, D-Cinelike, D-Log, and Film Looks.
microSD Card Compatible: Photos and videos are recorded onto a microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (with a capacity of up to 64GB) loaded in the DJI Inspire 2. DJI recommends using a UHS-1 microSD card to minimize the delay when reading and high resolution video data. You can download your photo and video files to your computer via a microSD card reader (sold separately).
Note: The DJI Zenmuse X4S does not feature its own microSD card slot.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.