USB 2.0 and iPad® recording interface
Our take on the Steinberg UR22mkII by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Lay down tunes on your computer or iPad
Want to get in on the creative fun of making music with your computer? An interface like the Steinberg UR22mkII is a must-have. Its job is to get audio signals from your microphones and instruments into your recording software as cleanly as possible. And with this compact, highly capable machine, you can lay down tracks at home with your Mac® or Windows® PC, or record on the go with your iPad. Now the "studio" can be wherever you want it to be.
The Steinberg UR22mkII lets you record tunes on your computer or iPad.
Clear sound from your mics and instruments
Steinberg developed the UR22mkII with their parent company, Yamaha. The interface features two of Yamaha's high-quality D-PRE mic preamps for low-distortion sound that remains clean even with high input levels. Two front-panel combination inputs give you lots of options. Plug in an XLR cable from a mic, or a 1/4" balanced TRS cable from a keyboard or drum machine. Or you can switch the selector to "high-Z" and plug in your electric guitar or bass directly. You can also connect a MIDI keyboard to control instrument plug-ins in your recording software. For playback, hook up a set of powered speakers or use a a pair of headphones — there are outputs with dedicated volume knobs for both.
Loopback recording for podcasting or live Internet streaming
Here's a cool new feature that Steinberg added to their "mark II" version of the UR22. Loopback recording lets you mix the sound from connected mics or instruments with audio tracks playing in your DAW software. Then you can deliver that mix to Internet streaming software. It's a convenient way to record podcasts or broadcast live on the web.
Recording software included
Steinberg is well-known for their popular Cubase digital audio workstation software. A downloadable version of that program, Cubase AI, is included with this interface. Of course, the UR22mkII is also compatible with practically every other major DAW software, too, so you've got plenty of options. You also get a version of Cubasis, Steinberg's recording software for iOS®, for when you want to create music with your iPad.
- 2-input, 2-output computer audio interface for Mac®, PC, or iPad
- iPad use requires signal and power adapters:
- optional Lightning to USB adapter or Apple Camera Connection Kit (not included)
- optional USB power adapter or battery pack (5V DC, not included)
- 2 Yamaha D-PRE discrete Class A mic preamps with 48V phantom power offer warm, clean sound even at high input levels
- accepts mic, instrument, line-level, and MIDI signals
- loopback feature lets you mix audio tracks from your computer with signals input directly into the interface
- mix dial balances low-latency input signals and signals returning from your computer or iOS audio software
- includes Cubase AI and Cubasis LE digital recording software
- compact, full-metal casing is ideal for portable use
- 2 front-panel XLR/TRS inputs with high-Z switch for use with microphones, keyboards, electric guitars and basses
- two 1/4" balanced analog outputs for connecting powered studio monitors, mixing boards, or effects processors
- 5-pin MIDI input/output for use with an external controller
- 1/4" headphone output with volume control knob
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer or iPad
- 24-bit analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion with sampling rates of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz
- peak indicators for both analog inputs
- powered by your computer via USB (iPad use requires separate power adapter, not included)
- computer requirements: USB 2.0 port; Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or Mac OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10; Intel or AMD dual core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 4GB of free hard drive space, CD-ROM drive or Internet connection for software installation
- iOS requirements: iOS 7 or higher; iPad 2 (or better)
- 6-1/4"W x 1-7/8"H x 6-1/4"D
- weight: 2.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- USB audio interface
- 5' USB cable
- Tools for UR22 mkII CD-ROM
- "Getting Started" booklet
- Cubasis LE Download Information
- Cubase AI Download Information
Steinberg UR22mkII Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Steinberg UR22 MkII is a 2-in/2-out USB 2.0 audio interface that allows you to record audio to a Windows or Mac computer, or iPad (Apple camera adapter required). It is ideal for singers and musicians who want to make studio-quality recordings virtually anywhere. The UR22 MkII has 2 analog inputs, 2 balanced outputs, MIDI in/out, and a headphone output with separate volume control. The interface has a solid full-metal chassis, designed to withstand the rigors of the road. It comes with a USB cable and Cubase AI and LE recording and music production software.
Microphone Inputs: The UR22 MkII has two Class-A D-PRE microphone preamps from Yamaha that deliver rich bass, detailed highs, and a wide dynamic response. These front panel preamps have combo connectors that will accept eight XLR or 1/4" plugs. Each input has a high-quality rotary level control. A red "Peak" LED is provided for each input to let you know when the signal is near clipping. A switch on the back panel allows you to apply +48V phantom power to the XLR contacts of the combo connector for use with condenser microphones.
Line/Instrument Inputs: Both of the inputs will accept balanced or unbalanced line level signals through 1/4" TS or TRS plugs. Input 2 features a Hi-Z switch that can be turned on when connecting high impedance instruments, such as an electric guitar or electric bass using an unbalanced phone (1/4") plug.
Line Level Outputs: On the rear panel, the UR22 MkII has two 1/4" balanced line-level outputs for connecting a pair of active studio monitors or an amplifier with a pair of studio speakers.
A-D / D-A Conversion: The UR22 MkII can record and playback audio at sampling rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, or 192kHz. You can select the sampling rate in the software.
Latency-Free Hardware Monitoring: The UR22 MkII offers latency-free hardware monitoring, so you can hear yourself as you sing or play immediately without annoying delay. The Mix knob allows you to seamlessly blend between the direct signal of your instrument with the output signal of your host. Independent headphones and main output controls allow you to adjust the monitor and phones level individually.
MIDI In/Out: The MIDI Input/Output allows you to connect your keyboard or any other MIDI-compatible control device, such as pad controllers, drum pads, drum machines, synthesizers, footswitches and sound modules.
Selectable Power Source: On the back panel is a 2-way power source switch that lets you choose the port supplying the power to the device. You can power the unit via USB 2.0, and connect a USB cable (supplied) from your computer. You can also switch the power source to the 5V DC port and power the unit by an external power supply or battery pack, even if the unit is connected to your computer via USB. A Micro USB-B port is supplied for the 5V DC port.
Included Software: The UR22 MkII is compatible with all major audio editing, mastering, and music production software that supports ASIO, Core Audio, or WDM standards. Based on the same core technologies as the popular Cubase DAW, Cubase AI offers an intuitive feature set for composing, recording, editing and mixing. Also included is Cubasis LE, a streamlined version of Steinberg's popular iOS music production app for iPad.
Compatible Operating Systems: The UR22 MkII works with the following operating systems: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.11. It also works with iPad 2 or higher with iOS 6 and up.
Supported Sample Rates (USB 2.0, 24-bit): 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz
Microphone Inputs (1 & 2): 2 x XLR / 1/4" combo (balanced)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 22kHz (+0.1/-0.3 dB)
- Dynamic Range: 101 dB (A-Weighted)
- THD+N: 0.0035% (1 kHz, -1 dBFS, 22Hz-22kHz BPF)
- Maximum Input Level: +4 dBu
- Input Impedance: 4 kΩ
- Gain Range: +6 dB - +60 dB
Line Input (1 & 2): 2 x 1/4" (balanced)
- Maximum Input Level: +24 dBu
- Input Impedance: 20 kΩ
- Gain Range: -14 dB - +40 dB
Hi-Z Input (2): 1 x 1/4" (unbalanced)
- Maximum Input Level: +8.5 dBV
- Input Impedance: 1 MΩ
- Gain Range: -0.7 dB - +53.3 dB
Line Output (1/L & 2/R): 2 x 1/4" (balanced)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 22kHz (+0.1/-0.3 dB)
- Dynamic Range: 104 dB (A-Weighted)
- THD+N: 0.005% (1 kHz, -1 dBFS, 22Hz-22kHz BPF)
- Maximum Output Level: +10 dBu
- Output Impedance: 150Ω
Headphone Output: 1 x 1/4"
- Maximum Output Level: 6 mW + 6 mW (40Ω)
Dimensions: Width 6.247" Height 1.823" Depth 6.245"
Weight: 2 pounds 3.7 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.