Monitor Audio Bronze FX
Bipole/dipole surround speakers (Black Oak Vinyl)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio Bronze FX by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Treat yourself to true surround sound
When customers want to get wraparound surround effects, I recommend surround speakers like Monitor Audio's Bronze FX. Each speaker uses two tweeters that fire in different directions, providing room-filling special effects that make you feel like you're truly part of the action on the screen.
Flexible placement options for your room
One of my favorite features of the Bronze FX speakers is how adaptable they are to your room. On the back of each speaker is a dipole/bipole switch that offers easy toggling between surround modes. The dipole setting puts the tweeters out of phase, giving you diffuse sound. That's ideal for speakers that are placed to the sides of the listening area. The bipole setting puts the tweeters in phase, which gives you more direct sound. That's the best option for when the speakers are placed behind your listening position.
High-quality drivers deliver sparkling sound
Each cabinet houses two 1" gold dome tweeters for clear, detailed highs and realistic sound effects. A 5-1/2" C-CAM woofer delivers smooth midrange and punchy bass.
The Bronze FXs features a pair of tweeters that fire in opposite directions for wraparound sound effects.
Build a complete Bronze system
Want amazing surround sound from a voice-matched system? Mix and match these speakers for immersive home theater.
Round out the low end with the powerful Bronze W10 powered subwoofer.
Most speakers (including the Bronze FX) don't include any wire. Check out our speaker wire guide to find the best wire for your system.
- dual tweeters fire sound in different directions for wraparound sound effects
- dipole/bipole switch offers easy toggling between surround modes
- dipole: gives you diffuse sound, ideal when the speakers are placed to the sides of the listening area
- bipole: more direct sound, better for when the speakers are placed behind the listening area
- frequency response: 65-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 70 watts
- sensitivity 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeters for lifelike ambient sound effects
- 5-1/2" woofer delivers smooth midrange and punchy bass
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- detachable grille attaches seamlessly
- high-quality binding post speaker terminals
- black oak vinyl finish
- 10-7/8"W x 11-3/8"H x 4-5/8"D
- weight: 7 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 6 Grilles
- 4 Rubber bumpers
- Wall-Mount Template
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Underwhelmed so far. Maybe I don't have these set up quite right yet. However, I've not heard anything sonically superior to the bookshelf speakers I had mounted prior to these.
Chris, Knoxville, TN
Monitor Audio Bronze FX Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Both|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/2|
|Frequency Response||65-30k Hz|
|Height (inches)||11 3/8|
|Width (inches)||10 7/8|
|Depth (inches)||4 5/8|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Angled Surround Design: The Monitor Audio Bronze series FX loudspeaker has been specially designed as a surround or surround back speaker. Its discreetly profiled angled baffle design incorporates a single front-mounted 5.5" C-CAM midrange/midbass driver and twin side-mounted 1" C-CAM tweeters.
- Dual 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeters: The newly designed 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter extends the Bronze FX surround speaker's frequency response to an ultra-sonic 30kHz, allowing the full reproduction of harmonic frequencies vital to the accurate reproduction of, say, the decay of a piano string or the crash of a hi-hat. Within the New Bronze tweeter, an innovative venting system allows air to flow outside the tweeter's magnet assembly into a rear loading chamber, preventing air from being compressed at the back of the dome for lower distortion, reduced mechanical resonance, and improved damping. Structural improvements in dome geometry and drive mechanism have boosted accuracy and extension at the top end of the tweeter's range as well, generating the extraordinary high frequency quality that helps to define the sound of Bronze FX surround loudspeaker.
- 5.5" 'Dished' C-CAM Woofer: The newly designed 5.5" 'dished' C-CAM cone employs the entire cone surface to radiate more sound. Unbroken by the centre pole-piece aperture of conventional driver designs, the cone is inherently more rigid and efficient while being less prone to break-up under high drive conditions, resulting in exceptional detail resolution and life-like tonality. Ingeniously, the driver's voice coil is thermally coupled to the back of the cone, which draws heat away from the coil for better power handling and optimal operation at all volume levels.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Bronze series FX surround loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum. Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy driver is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional drivers are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM drivers have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
Dipole or Bipole Mode: Each speaker can be configured for bipole or dipole mode. Before changing your FX's from bipole mode to dipole mode, please ensure that the speaker wires are disconnected from the loudspeakers. This helps to protect your amplifier and speakers. The factory setting is bipole.
- Bipole Mode: In bipole mode, all drivers (tweeters and midbass) are in phase. This feature is designed for when the FX is set up as a rear/surround speaker in a typical 5.1 channel system, or alternatively in a 7.1 channel system without a second pair of FX's for rear/surround duties.
- Dipole Mode: In dipole mode, the rear firing tweeters are out of phase with the other tweeter and midbass driver. It is best to implement this configuration when using two pairs of FX's as part of a 7.1 channel system, with the FX's taking up positions on the side and rear walls.
Note: The Bronze FX are labeled specifically for right and left. When using two pairs of Bronze FX's in a 7.1 system, you need to use the Right speaker for the rear surround left and the Left speaker for the rear surround right. This is because of the tweeter phasing.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The drivers are individually mounted on a through-bolt which fixes at the back of the cabinet and tensions the driver at the front. Cleverly this triple-action feature braces the cabinet structure for lower box coloration while removing the need for conventional front fixings, reducing unwanted driver/cabinet resonance and simultaneously boosting aesthetics
High Quality Crossover: The Monitor Audio Bronze FX uses a high quality crossover (2,800Hz) with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors, air core, and laminated steel core inductors for signal integrity.
MDF Enclosure w/ Cloth Grilles: The Bronze FX employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 18mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the surround speaker comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grilles.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The surround loudspeaker is fitted with a set of gold-plated binding posts. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, & banana plugs (single only). Pre-installed plastic inserts must be removed to utilize banana plugs (single only).
Wall-Mountable: The Monitor Audio Bronze series FX surround loudspeaker can be wall-mounted via the two keyhole slots on the back panel (screws not included). The two key-hole slots are positioned 8.6875" apart. A wall-mount template is included to help position the speaker on your wall.
Bronze Series: Monitor Audio's Bronze series of loudspeakers consists of two floorstanding speakers (893BZ5B/893BZ6B), two bookshelf speakers (893BZ1B/893BZ2B), a center channel speaker (803BZCB), surround speaker (893BZFXB), and powered subwoofer (893BZW10B) - all sold separately.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have an older Monitor Audio Silver Series surround sound speaker system. These new Bronze have the same tweeters as my older Silvers, so the sound should be very similar and they're a lot cheaper than the new Silvers. [ MATT Nov 06, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
1 answer Can anyone describe their experience wall mounting these? With only two, loosely hanging screw points at the top, I am concerned about them vibrating against the wall since they can't be tightly secured. Plus I would have to mount one side with a drywall anchor rather than both points into a stud. Any recommendations on mounts instead? My listening area is 3' from my back wall, so I am planning to install the just at standing ear level, and a 5-6' stand seems unwieldy. [ MMA02ME Feb 27, 2017 ]
I once mounted a set of Polk Audio dipole/bipole speakers that weigh more than each of these speakers using drywall anchors. I think you will be fine using those to hold the screws that will hold these speakers. HTH! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Mar 12, 2017 ] Staff