Phorus PR5 Multi-room Audio Receiver
Universal wireless adapter for home stereos with Bluetooth® and DTS Play-Fi®
Item # 885PR5 | MFR # PR-5
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Phorus PR5 Multi-room Audio Receiver by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Enjoy wireless music from any audio system
Connect the PR5 receiver to your stereo and listen to music wirelessly on its own, or as part of a whole-home system.
If your current music setup sounds the way you like it, but you want the ability to play music wirelessly, the Phorus PR5 can help. First, hook it up to your receiver, amplifier, or powered speaker system — both a mini-to-mini cable and a mini-to-RCA cable are included. Then you can wirelessly stream music from your phone, tablet, or Windows® PC over your existing Wi-Fi network. It's all thanks to a technology called DTS Play-Fi®.
You can even add other compatible wireless speakers or PR5 receivers to more rooms. Listen to the same song throughout your house, or a different tune in every room.
Mix and match speakers to create a Play-Fi whole-home system
With Play-Fi, you can create a simple yet flexible multi-room audio system. Control all the speakers in your system at once with your smartphone or tablet, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Best of all, the Phorus PR5 works with Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers and components, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
I tried the PR5 wireless receiver in my older stereo system. Wireless music never sounded so clear and detailed on my tower speakers. The Phorus PR5 is proof that Digital audio technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years... It was as if my speakers were taking their first breath in ages.
— Jeff Miller, Crutchfield A/V Writer
Easy setup and control using your phone or tablet
Download the free Phorus Play-Fi app and you're ready to use the PR5 in mere minutes. It's available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows PC operating systems. Use the app to control your music selection, playback, and volume.
Great sound from a wide selection of digital music
Play-Fi gives you easy access to audio files you have stored on computers, music servers, and mobile devices across your network, including high-quality lossless files. There's support for Pandora® Internet radio and SiriusXM. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
The PR5 receiver connects to your home network via dual-band Wi-Fi®, reducing drop-outs and interference when playing your music. A built-in Wolfson® digital-to-analog converter (DAC) delivers clear sound to your system's analog input.
Built-in Bluetooth with aptX® and Apple® AirPlay®
Along with Play-Fi, the PR5 includes Bluetooth, so you can listen to the sound from virtually any mobile app, including streaming music services, games, YouTube videos, and more. It's also a great way to let guests quickly pair up their own mobile device and share their music. You also get aptX audio coding, an advanced type of Bluetooth wireless streaming that retains virtually all the detail of the audio signal it carries.The PR5 is also AirPlay-compatible, for convenient wireless playback from your iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or computer running iTunes®.
- add wireless music to your existing home audio system
- DTS Play-Fi lets you stream music via Wi-Fi from your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet, or your Windows PC
- dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices
- built-in Wolfson digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
- Bluetooth wireless streaming with aptX® audio coding for high-fidelity sound with compatible devices
- Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- free, downloadable Play-Fi app for Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, and Windows PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
Connections and General Info:
- rear USB port for charging and for a USB-to-Ethernet connection
- stereo minijack audio output
- USB Type A-to-USB micro cable included
- mini-to-RCA Y-adapter cable included
- 6' stereo mini-to-mini cable included
- 802.11g/n Wi-Fi router required for multi-room streaming
- 802.11b Wi-Fi router can stream to one Play-Fi device
- 8-5/16"W x 1-1/4"H x 6-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- DTS Play-FI receiver
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 57" DC cord)
- 6' Stereo minijack cable
- 16" Stereo minijack-to-RCA Y-adapter
- 15" microUSB-to-USB cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
Phorus PR5 Multi-room Audio Receiver Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
DTS Play-Fi Receiver: The Phorus PR5 DTS Play-Fi Receiver allows you to wirelessly stream music with lossless audio quality from your Apple iOS device, Android smartphone/tablet, or Windows computer/laptop to an existing sound system through your home's WiFi network. Using WiFi, the Play-Fi Receiver links to your smartphone device or PC with the free Play-Fi App installed, and outputs music directly to your home audio system through its analog output. It also supports Bluetooth-enabled devices, as well as Airplay for Windows PC and Mac computer.
Dual Band WiFi: The Phorus DTS Play-Fi Receiver features built-in Dual Band WiFi and connects to your home's existing wireless network router. Your router should be WiFi certified (802.11 g/n; 2.4GHz + 5.0GHz). For good performance use a router with 802.11g. For best performance use a router with 802.11n technology. There are two methods for connecting the Play-Fi Receiver to your home network.
- WiFi Setup Via App: You can perform WiFi setup via the Play-Fi App on your smartphone. Using the app, you can setup multiple Play-Fi Devices (Speakers and/or Receivers) at once.
- WiFi Setup Via WPS: You can also perform WiFi setup via the WPS button on the receiver, if your router also supports WPS. This type of setup limits you to only connecting one Play-Fi device at a time.
DTS Play-Fi + Wolfson DAC: The Phorus PR5 Receiver employs DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology and a premium Wolfson DAC for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality.
- DTS Play-Fi: DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound (up to 100').
- Wolfson DAC: The PR5 utilizes a premium Wolfson DAC that will support music files ranging from MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV; up to 24-bit/192kHz for high-resolution sound.
Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi App for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows automatically indexes your music library, and offers integrated support for select streaming music services with crystal-clear lossless audio quality. The app offers built-in streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, & Internet radio. Or play music files from your music library on a Windows PC, DLNA music server, Apple iOS device, or Android smartphone/tablet.
- Android Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app for Android requires an Android smartphone with OS 2.2 or above.
- Apple iOS Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app for Apple iOS requires an Apple iOS device with iOS 6.0 or better.
- Windows Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app for Windows requires a Windows PC with Windows 7 or 8 (32-/64-bit). There is also an upgraded Play-Fi HD version of the app available for purchase, which provides even better wireless sound quality.
Multi-Room Configuration: Add more DTS Play-Fi enabled products and hear music throughout your home or office with perfect synchronization (up to 16 DTS Play-Fi devices can be combined in one multiroom system). Choose a single speaker in one room, group speakers together in zones, or link all your speakers together for a whole-home listening experience. You can stream the same audio or different audio to each speaker, group, or whole-house. You can also control the volume of each DTS Play-Fi speaker independently, control the volume of a group of speakers, or use a master volume control to set the level throughout the house. All of this can be done from the Play-Fi app installed on your Apple iOS device, Android smartphone/tablet, or Windows PC.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Phorus, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Wren, etc..) in your home.
AirPlay for Mac or PC: AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your iTunes library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the Play-Fi Receiver over your home's wireless network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the Play-Fi Receiver or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac computer or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed, along with the free Remote App installed.
Note: AirPlay audio can only be streamed to one device and cannot be used for multi-room audio.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Play-Fi PR5 Receiver also supports wireless audio streaming from Bluetooth-enabled audio devices. Using Bluetooth (v2.1+EDR) A2DP, any application on the Bluetooth device including cloud-based libraries, Internet radio, and other music services can be streamed to the Play-Fi PR5 Receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the PR5 offers support for AAC and aptX codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple & Android devices.
- AAC: By supporting AAC, the PR5 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- aptX: aptX audio coding technology provides even better sound quality with lossless, CD-quality streaming for compatible aptX-compatible smartphones, like many Android smartphones with OS 4.0+, plus many Mac computers.
Note: Bluetooth audio can only be streamed to one device and cannot be used for multi-room audio.
Analog Output: The Phorus PR5 is fitted with a stereo minijack (3.5) analog output to connect the unit to your home audio system, like a home receiver or powered speakers. A 6' stereo minijack cable is provided. A 39" stereo minijack-to-RCA Y-adapter is also included.
USB Charging Port: The PR5 is also capable of recharging the battery of your smartphone or tablet device through the receiver's rear-panel USB (type-A) port. This USB port does not support audio playback.
AC Power: The Phorus Play-Fi Receiver operates off of standard household current using the included AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V ~ 0.65A
- Output: 12V - 2A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Jeff Miller
We gave two Phorus wireless music devices a test run - separately and as part of a multi-room system. Find out how well they performed.
Why did you buy this?
I was in the market for this type of item and I chatted with a representative from Crutchfield by the name of Artie who recommended this particular one would be perfect for my needs! [ K Oct 12, 2016 ]
Internet research, reading reviews this best fits my needs including streaming from my computer. [ David Sep 12, 2016 ]
To use my entertainment system with wireless earphones. [ Grahame Mar 08, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
This does not have native support for Rhapsody. However, you connect an Android or Apple device via Bluetooth or AirPlay and stream from a Rhapsody app. [ Jeff May 14, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: It should indeed work for you there at the Phorus connects with standard RCA patch cables. As long as your Bose system has a standard RCA or mini-jack connection, you'll be good to go! If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 01, 2015 ] Staff