WyreStorm Express™ EXP-CON-4K-DD
HDMI video upscaler/downscaler with audio downmixing
Our take on the WyreStorm Express™ EXP-CON-4K-DD by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Flexible audio and video output options
This WyreStorm module goes in-line between an HDMI source and your TV or monitor. It lets you upconvert a 1080p video signal to 4K resolution so that it looks its best on an Ultra HD display. It also lets you do the opposite, downconverting a 4K signal to 1080p, in case you're using a TV that doesn't support 4K resolution.
This handy box can also take a 5.1-channel Dolby® Digital audio signal and downmix it to stereo PCM — a useful feature if you want to send a surround sound signal to a second zone amp that doesn't support 5.1.
- audio/video scaling device that connects in-line between an HDMI source and display
- selectable switch lets you upconvert a 1080p signal to 4K, or downconvert a 4K signal to 1080p
- does not support 1080i/720p video content
- built-in digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
- selectable switch for downmixing a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital audio signal to stereo PCM
- 3.5mm stereo mini analog audio output
- supports audio signals up to 24-bit, with sampling rates up to 192KHz
- does not support high-definition audio formats like DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 2-9/16"W x 15/16"H x 3-1/16"D
- weight: .23 lbs.
- 5-volt DC power supply included
- LED power indicator
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- UltraHD 4K downscaler/HD upscaler with Dolby Digital downmxing
- AC power supply (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
pictures from previous post.
Kevin, Sicklerville, NJ
WyreStorm Express™ EXP-CON-4K-DD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
UltraHD 4K Downscaler/HD Upscaler with Dolby Digital Downmxing: The WyreStorm Express EXP-CON-4K-DD is an in-line audio/video scaler which connects via HDMI between your source unit and TV or projector that automatically upscales 1080p/24Hz HD video content to UltraHD resolutions up to 4096x2160/30p for viewing on 4K displays, or downscale UHD 4K/40Hz transmissions down to 1080p/24Hz for HD displays. It also supports 5.1ch Dolby Digital downmixing to stereo PCM audio. Its equipped with one HDMI 1.4a input and one HDMI 1.4a output (both HDCP 2.2 compatible).
- Auto Video Scaling or Pass-Through: After examining source
transmission and maximum resolution of the connected display, the EXP-CON-4K-DD can
either pass-through video signals for compatible devices, upscale HD content
to UltraHD resolution for connection to the latest 4K screens or downscale
UltraHD content to 1080p for viewing on existing HD displays.
- Video Amplifier: 10.2Gbps (bandwidth), 300MHz (speed), 100Ω (impedance)
- Scaling & Pass-Through: Upscaling (1920x1080p @ 24/25/30Hz to 3840x2160p @ 24/25/30Hz), Downscaling (4096x2160p @24/25/30Hz to 1920x1080p @24/25/30Hz), Pass-Through (4096 x 2160p @ 60Hz)
- Max Resolution: up to 4096 x 2160p @ 24/25/30Hz
- Color Support: 24-Bit True Color (4K) or 36-Bit Deep Color (1080p/24Hz)
- Auto Audio Downmixing or
Pass-Through: Additionally, the EXP-CON-4K-DD will automatically
down-mix audio should the device not support multichannel audio and even
offers a 3.5mm output. If your receiving device does support multichannel
audio, it will allow the 5.1ch Dolby Digital signal to pass-through.
- Input: 5.1 Dolby Digital or 2ch Stereo PCM
- Output: Pass-through or 2ch PCM with Downmix selected
Note: 1080i/720p content and HD audio formats (such as DTS MasterHD and Dolby TrueHD) are not supported.
Configuration Switches: As the EXP-CON-4K-DD features various combinations of video and audio scaling, function is achieved by setting the Video and Audio switches on the unit to different position combinations.
|Dip Switch Setting||Function|
|Downscale||Bypass||Downscale 4K/30Hz source to 1080p/24Hz display with multichannel audio|
|Downscale||Downmix||Downscale 4K/30Hz source to 1080/24Hz display with multichannel audio downmixed to 2ch stereo|
|Upscale||Bypass||Upscale 1080p/24Hz source to 4K/30Hz display with multichannel audio|
|Upscale||Downmix||Upscale 1080p/24Hz source to 4K/30Hz display with multichannel audio downmixed to 2ch stereo|
|Bypass||Bypass||4K/30Hz source to 4K/30Hz display, 1080p/24Hz source to 1080p/24Hz display with multichannel audio|
|Bypass||Bypass||4K/30Hz source to 4K/30Hz display source, 1080p/24Hz source to 1080p/24Hz display with multichannel audio downmixed to 2ch stereo|
HDMI Connectivity: The WyreStorm Express EXP-CON-4K-DD equipped with one HDMI 1.4a input and one HDMI 1.4a output (both HDCP 2.2 compatible). Do not exceed recommend HDMI cable distances -
- Input: 22' (4K) or 33' (1080p)
- Output: 22' (4K) or 33' (1080p)
Analog Output: The WyreStorm Express EXP-CON-4K-DD also features a 3.5mm stereo output in case your receiving device does not support HDMI audio.
Expandability: Effectively, the combination of a system comprising of an WyreStorm UltraHD 4K matrix switcher (sold separately) with EXP-CON-4K-DD scaler at display zones not only nullifies the threat of disparity between multiple screens of different resolution capabilities while maintaining source resolution throughout the distribution.
Power Requirements: The WyreStorm Express EXP-CON-4K-DD operates off of standard household current using the included AC power adapter.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.