Focal Dôme Polyglass
Ultra-compact satellite speaker (Black)
Our take on the Focal Dôme Polyglass by Crutchfield's James Ralston
The Dôme Polyglass's integrated base doubles as a wall or ceiling mount
This elegant little speaker makes a big impression
Focal's Dôme Polyglass speaker is tiny, but its futuristic look certainly caught our eye. Its dome-shaped, lacquered aluminum body is built onto an integrated base that doubles as a wall- or ceiling-mount bracket. And with Focal, you know every design detail has been thought through to provide accurate sound.
This speaker would make a great choice for listeners who want high-performance sound, but would rather not give up living space to traditional box-shaped speakers.
High-tech woofers and tweeters
Focal is one of the most fanatical companies we know when it comes to speaker driver design. Take the 4" woofer in this satellite. Its Polyglass cone consists of a cellulose pulp (paper) layer treated with molten glass microballs. The resulting material has roughly 10 times the rigidity of polypropylene, despite its light weight. It all adds up to natural sounding midrange and mid-bass.
The Dôme Polyglass's other driver is also unusual: a 1" inverted dome tweeter crafted from magnesium and aluminum. Its fast, accurate response allows detailed, dynamic highs that extend all the way up to 28,000 Hz.
An integrated stand/mount for flexible placement options
Are you going to use the Dôme Polyglass as a bookshelf speaker in a stereo system? Or maybe wall-mounted as part of your home theater? Each satellite comes with an integrated base that serves as a tabletop stand or as a mounting bracket. (Focal includes the hardware you need to install it on your wall.) The base swivels up to 90°, so you can aim the speaker as you need.
Available in a 5.1 home theater configuration.
- ultra-compact satellite speaker for high-performance music and home theater systems
- can be placed on a tabletop or speaker stand, or mounted to the wall or ceiling
- integrated stand/mount tilts up to 90° for setup flexibility
- frequency response: 80-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- 4" Polyglass mid-bass driver with rubber surround
- 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter
- acoustic-suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- set screw-style speaker terminals on the underside of the speaker
- lacquered high-gloss black aluminum cabinet
- designed and constructed in France
- 5-3/4"W x 6-3/4"H x 5-5/8"D
- weight: 4.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Satellite loudspeaker (integrated table-top stand)
- Grille (pre-installed)
- Rubber pad
- Wall-mount bracket
- 2 Screws
- 2 Wall-anchors
- User Manual
Lloyd, Tracy, CA
Focal Dôme Polyglass Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Type||Inverted Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4|
|Frequency Response||80-28k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||30-36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Dome Polyglass Satellite Loudspeaker: Focal's Dôme Polyglass is a high-end satellite loudspeaker that is made in France and incorporates Focal loudspeaker technology from the brand's most prestigious models. The Dôme Polyglass uses a two-way driver configuration with a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter and a 4" Polyglass cone woofer for a natural, multi-directional soundstage.
1" Aluminum/Magnesium Inverted Dome Tweeter: The Focal Dôme Polyglass satellite loudspeaker features a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter. This configuration produces a precise, analytical sound and an extremely deep soundstage. Magnesium possesses great damping qualities, while Aluminum provides greater rigidity. The unique marriage of these two metals offers several key advantages - rapid response, reduced distortion, and excellent damping. This enables the tweeter to extend its frequency response to 28kHz (-3dB) with thigh frequencies that are both dynamic and detailed.
4" Polyglass Cone Woofer: The Focal Dôme Polyglass features a Polyglass cone woofer that ensures neutrality, excellent dynamics and a precise sound image. Polyglass technology, exclusive to Focal, consists in applying molten glass microballs on a cellulose pulp cone. This process combines an excellent paper damping with glass rigidity. The rigidity index exceeds even that of a single skin Kevlar and is almost 10x superior to one of polypropylene. The mass/rigidity/damping ratio adjustment results in outstanding linearity of the frequency response curve, all from the inherent design of the cone. This innovation also greatly increases definition in the midrange.
High-Gloss Lacquered Aluminum Enclosure: The Dôme Polyglass has a sleek, sealed enclosure design without any visible screw fittings, and is made using sophisticated materials with luxury finishes. It's round shape & design resembles that of a spot-light, which is ideal to avoid internal resonances that distort the purity of timbers. The enclosure is completely sealed for more accurate sound, void of any port noise. The Dôme Polyglass is available in a gloss white finish with removal grey cloth grille or a gloss black finish with a removal black cloth grille.
Set-Screw Speaker Terminals: The Focal Dôme Polyglass satellite loudspeaker employs bottom-mounted set-screw terminals which will accept bare wire up to 16 gauge. A hex-key is included to adjust the set screws.
Multi-Direction Sound w/ Flexible Mounting Options: The Focal Dôme Polyglass satellite loudspeaker is multi-directional, so placement is flexible. The Dôme Polyglass is ideal for rooms and spaces up to approximately 430 square feet. It can be placed on a table-top, or mounted to the wall or ceiling.
- Integrated Table-Top Stand: The satellite loudspeaker comes with an integrated table-top stand and a rubber foot pad which allows it to securely set on top of a piece of AV furniture, stand, shelf, or desk. The integrated table-top stand allows the speaker to fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 90°).
- Wall/Ceiling Mount Bracket: The integrated table-top stand also allows you to mount the speaker to the wall or ceiling with the included mounting bracket. The rubber foot pad is removed and the included bracket is attached to the bottom of the table-stop stand after the bracket is secured to the wall or ceiling with the included screws. When wall-mounted, the speaker can fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker downward (up to 85°). When ceiling-mounted, the speaker fires directly down into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 85°).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed smaller speakers to place on the wall. These look like they fit. [ Derek Apr 24, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
For the best performance, it best to have the the speakers properly voice-matched so, if you plan to use the Dôme Polyglass for the primary front left & right channels, I recommend also using it for a matching center channel. You can get them as a 5.1 package as well: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091DP51W/item.html I hope that helps. My Bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Nov 29, 2017 ] Staff