AKG C414 XLS (Matched Pair)
Large-diaphragm multi-pattern condenser microphones
Item # 854414XST | MFR # C414 XLS Stereoset
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the AKG C414 XLS (Matched Pair) by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Classic AKG performance
Included is a matched pair of AKG C414 XLs microphones
Need a pair of high-performance condenser microphones you can use for various purposes around your studio? Check out this matched pair of AKG C414 XLS mics. They offer the same sonic performance as AKG's legendary C414-B-ULS, a highly popular mic used worldwide by professional studio engineers and admired for its detailed, accurate response. Nine selectable pickup patterns accommodate a wide variety of applications, from close-miking vocals or an acoustic guitar to capturing ambient room sounds. Three switchable bass cut filters and three pre-attenuation levels let you adjust for different sound sources and recording situations. For live concert use, all controls on both mics can be disabled easily so settings can't be changed accidentally.
Accurate sound and versatility
The mics have a wide dynamic range and feature large 1" diaphragms that can deliver finely detailed sound. 20 dB attenuation switches let them handle high sound pressure levels, so you can use them for sources like drum kits, guitar amps and brass instruments.
The microphone pair comes with two windscreens and pop filters for vocal recordings, and two spider-type shock mounts. Also included is a stereo mounting bar, making it easy to use the mics in tandem. And all of this gear fits in the included foam-cushioned aluminum carry case.
- matched pair of side-address condenser microphones
- selectable cardioid, omnidirectional, hypercardioid, and figure eight polar patterns
- large 1" large diaphragm
- all-metal die-cast body with shock- and scratch-resistant finish
- switchable low-frequency filter
- 20 dB attenuation switch for handling extremely high sound pressure levels
- gold-plated connectors for optimal signal transfer
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- output impedance: 200 ohms
- sensitivity: -33 dBV/Pa
- max. SPL: 200 dB
- weight: 10.6 oz.
- XLR connector
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- aluminum carrying case
- 2 spider-type suspensions
- 2 windscreens
- 2 pop filters
- 1 stereo mounting bar
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 C414 XLS condenser microphones
- 2 SA60 stand adapters
- 2 Thread adapters (inserted in the SA60s)
- 2 H85 Shock mounts
- 2 W414 windscreens
- H50 Stereo bar
- 2 Drawstring storage pouches
- User Instructions
- Warranty Card
- Microphone & Headphone Guide
- Measured Frequency Response graph
- Computer-matched Stereo Pair Certificate
Features and Specs
|Application||For studio use|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The AKG C414 XLS is a multi-pattern, reference condenser microphone for studio recording and live sound applications. It is designed to give you a warm and clear sound for lead vocals and solo instruments. It can also be used in broadcast facilities. This package includes a pair of computer-matched microphones for stereo recording. Having matched stereo pairs provide the highest correlation over the microphones' entire frequency range and virtually identical sensitivity to give you stunning 3-dimensional recordings. The Stereo Pair package includes two C414 XLS microphones, two H65 shock mounts, two SA60 stand adapters (each with an inserted thread adapter), two W414 windscreens, and one H50 stereo bar. The package is stored in a sturdy carrying case.
C414 XLII vs. C414 XLS: The AKG C414 XLII and C414 XLS microphones are nearly identical, but have subtle differences. The C414 XLII was patterned after the famous C414-B-TL II, and enables lead vocals and solo instruments to stand out, even in a dense soundfield. It's also ideal for distant miking applications, such as classical music recording or drum ambiance. The C414 XLS has the sonic character of the C414 B-ULS. With a very linear and neutral sound, the C414 XLS is the widely used for accurate pickup of acoustic instruments.
Polar Patterns: The C414 XLS should be mounted in an upright position, with the front of the microphone (marked by the AKG logo) facing toward the sound source. The microphone offers selectable polar patterns, making it an ideal microphone for multiple settings. On the front of the microphone is a directional rocker switch and an LED with 9 positions indicating the selected polar pattern. There are five main polar patterns to choose from, with Intermediate positions between each selection. The main polar patterns to choose include:
- Omnidirectional: The omnidirectional pattern picks up sound from all directions, and can be used for ensemble singing or instruments, ambience recording, or far-field recording in good-sounding recording rooms.
- Wide Cardioid: A wide cardioid pattern, or sub-cardioid, is slightly more directional than an omnidirectional pattern. The rear sensitivity is approximately 3-10dB lower compared to the front sensitivity. It is ideal for picking up a group of vocalists or instruments with very little proximity effect.
- Cardioid: The cardioid polar pattern is more sensitive to sounds directly in front of the element, and reduces the pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and back. It is an excellent choice for all kinds of voices and a wide range of instruments.
- Hypercardioid: A hypercardioid polar pattern is similar to a cardioid pattern, but is more directional with less sensitivity at the sides, and slightly more sensitive directly behind.
- Figure Eight: The microphone will equally pick up sounds from the front and rear. This works well for recording two sound sources (duet singers, talkers, instruments) facing each other. It can also be used for miking the side signal in M/S stereo recording, or for overhead miking.
Phantom Power: This condenser microphone requires phantom power of 48 V DC (+/-4V).
Bass Cut Filter: The C414 XLS is equipped with a selectable Bass-Cut filter which reduces low-frequency distortion caused by wind noise or air handling equipment. It also minimizes the proximity effect caused by close-miking from 4" or less. The Bass-Cut filter can be set to 40Hz (12dB/oct), 80Hz (12dB/oct), or 160Hz (6dB/oct).
Selectable Pre-attenuation Pad: The C414 XLS is capable of handling sound pressure levels up to 158 dB without distortion when the selectable Pre-attenuation Pad is engaged. The pad offers three levels of attenuation (-6dB, -12dB, and -18dB) which increases the headroom and prevents the microphone's output level from overloading the input preamps in a connected mixer or amp. The maximum SPL without distortion when the pad is off is 140dB. With the pad engaged, the maximum SPL increases to 146dB(-6dB pad), 152dB (-12dB pad), and 158dB (-18dB pad).
Shock Mount: Included with the C414 XLS is the H85 Universal Shock Mount. The shock mount isolates the microphone from mechanical vibrations and noise that might be transmitted through the mic stand. The shock mount has a 5/8"-27 thread. The package includes a metal thread adapter, to let you mount it to a stand or boom with 3/8"-16 threads.
- Type: 1" Large-diaphragm pressure gradient microphone
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: 23mV/Pa (-33mV +/- 0.5dB)
- Impedance: 200 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: ≥ 2200 ohms
- Maximum SPL (for 0.5% THD): 140dB (no pad), 146dB (w/-6dB pad), 152dB (-12dB pad), 158dB (-18dB pad)
- Bass Cut Filter: 40 Hz (12dB/oct), 80 Hz (12dB/oct), 160 Hz (6dB/oct)
- Phantom Power: +48V to IEC 61938
- Maximum Ouptut Level: 5 V rms (+14dBV)
- Output Connection: XLR male
- Dimensions: 2.1" width, 6.3" height, 1.7" depth
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.