Stereo receiver with HDMI connections, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Our take on the Onkyo TX-8270 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Old-school stereo listening meets 2.1 home theater
Home theater receivers are fantastic, but if you don't want to fill your living room with speakers, you're left with a lot of unused connections. Onkyo's TX-8270 is an awesome stereo option that works with today's TVs and video components. Plus it has all the features serious music listeners are after.
This smart receiver lets you enjoy both digital and analog music sources. Onkyo's low-distortion Wide Range Amplification Technology gives you authentic, dynamic sound. The receiver's 32-bit/384kHz DAC helps bring out the best in any digital audio format, from high-resolution audio files to streamed music.
All the right connections
The TX-8270 has ample connections for your audio gear, from CD players to cassette decks. A dedicated phono input gives you a direct connection for a turntable. Front- and rear-panel USB ports gives you convenient access to digital music files stored on a thumb drive. Four 4K-compliant HDMI inputs let you hook up your TV and Blu-ray player, plus a game console, PC, or streaming media device.
Wireless capability expands your listening options
When it comes to music, we understand there's no such thing as too many choices. The TX-8270's networking capability lets you play songs from your personal digital music library, but why stop there? Support for the most popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and SiriusXM opens up an abundance of new listening options.
Listen to internet radio stations anywhere in the world via TuneIn radio. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream music from a compatible Apple device, while Bluetooth lets you stream from nearly any phone, tablet, or computer. The receiver remembers up to eight Bluetooth-enabled devices, so family and friends can share their music too.
Music in different rooms
Playback from such a capable music receiver shouldn't be confined to just one room, so the TX-8270 gives you the ability to spread your music through different parts of the house. A/B speaker connections mean you can add a second pair of speakers in another room or outdoor area. Or use the Zone 2 preamp outputs to connect a power amp and speakers in a different room. (You can play the same source in both zones, or a different source in Zone 2.) A dedicated DAC for Zone 2 lets you enjoy digital sources and even streamed music outside of your main listening area.
A convenient control app ties it all together
Onkyo's free Remote app for iOS® and Android™ lets you control your music with your phone or tablet from any room in the house. The app lets you switch sources and control volume, along with adjusting bass and treble settings. It also shows you a list of supported streaming services to choose from, giving you full control over them from within the app.
- 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- large, high-current power transformer and audio-grade capacitors for clean sound
- 4K-compatible HDMI switching for A/V sources (4 in/1 out) lets you enjoy 2.1 home theater
- high-quality AK4438 384kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog converter accurately renders your digital audio sources
- VLSC™ filtering for smooth sound from digital sources
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for music streaming
- includes support for Pandora®, Deezer, and free internet radio streams with TuneIn (subscription required for some services)
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps (available firmware update required)
- works with Google Home speaker for voice control of music features and volume
- Spotify® Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- DTS® Play-Fi for wireless music streaming with compatible devices (future firmware update required)
- compatible with Sonos Connect — receiver turns on automatically and sets the right input when selected in the app
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays digital music files from a USB thumb drive or compatible external USB hard drive
- plays networked PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution and DSD files up to 5.6 MHz — via wired Ethernet connection only
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR 10 and Dolby Vision
- HDMI inputs support PCM and DSD audio formats only; no built-in Dolby® Digital decoding
- front- and rear-panel USB inputs
- 2 optical digital audio inputs
- 1 coaxial digital audio input
- 4 analog audio inputs (including MM phono input for a turntable)
- stereo RCA output for Zone 2 amp and speakers
- USB, Bluetooth, and network sources can be played in Zone 2
- 2 mono RCA outputs for powered subwoofers
- binding post speaker connectors for A and B speaker pairs
- front-panel 1/4" headphone jack
Other Features & Specs:
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 4 front-panel preset buttons let you store your favorite AM/FM stations for easy access
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-7/8"H x 13-11/16"D
- weight: 18.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Network stereo receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-903S)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Product Registration
- "Chromecast built-in support" note
- "FireConnect support" note
- "Play-Fi support" note
My first modern receiver. Controls Blue Ray/ CDs,Apple TV, Recieves Bluetooth from multiple sources. Matches the large stand mounted Klipsch bookshelf speakers and sub woofer,turning my small apt into a concert hall.
James, Christiansted, VI
Onkyo TX-8270 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||100|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||106dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||80dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||Wired or Wireless|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|iPod Connectivity||AirPlay, BT|
|Total Number of Zones||2|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||Type-A (Front/Rear)|
|Total Audio Inputs||3|
|Digital Audio Inputs||2 Optical / 1 Coax|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
Dynamic Audio Amplification: Rated at 100 watts (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC), the TX-8270 is Onkyo's best stereo receiver for driving speakers. This amp system generates high current with a massive transformer and audio-grade capacitors. Circuitry features discrete output transistors for low distortion and effortless driving power. High current assures accurate control, restoring energy and vitality to your music. Non-phase-shift circuitry, meanwhile, focuses the audio image and reproduces a wide frequency bandwidth to maximize Hi-Res Audio and vinyl playback.
- Massive Hi-Current EI Transformer: The Massive Hi-Current EI Transformer delivers large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Non-Phase-Shift Amp Design: The receiver employs a Non-Phase-Shift amp design which prevents phase shift by pushing the roll-off point higher than the listening-level frequency. This creates a well-focuses and realistic audio image.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
384kHz/32-Bit Hi-Grade DAC: The Onkyo TX-8270 utilizes one premium-quality AK4438 digital-to-analog converter from AKM ideally suited to DSD 5.6 MHz and PCM signals up to 192 kHz/24-bit.
Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC): Onkyo developed Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC) to reassemble the signal in its original form following processing. Unlike conventional filters, VLSC removes pulse noise generated in D/A conversion, allowing the sound wave to be reproduced with extremely high fidelity for a smooth analog signal. The signal's data is converted between sampling points and joined with analog vectors in real time to produce a smooth output wave form. The result is a virtually noiseless, smooth, analog signal that brings out even the most subtle of nuances in music sources.
Audio Settings: The Onkyo TX-8270 stereo receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz, analog input signals, and Bluetooth audio.
- Double Bass: You can also activate the Double Bass function in order to boost bass output even more by feeding bass sounds to the stereo speakers and powered subwoofer.
- Tone Controls: You can independently adjust the Bass (90Hz) and Treble (7.5kHz) of the receiver's Front L/R channels from -10 to +10 dB.
- Direct Mode: In Direct mode, the receiver outputs pure sound as it was intended by bypassing the tone control circuits during playback.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Onkyo TX-8270 stereo Receiver is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs.
- Analog Inputs + Phono (MM): There are four stereo RCA inputs, including a Phono (MM) input with ground terminal.
- Digital Inputs: The Onkyo stereo receiver features three digital audio inputs. There are two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. The receiver's digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio signals only. Supported sampling rates include 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz; with a bit-depth of 16-bit, 20-bit, or 24-bit.
Note: The receiver also features 4 HDMI inputs which support up to 2 PCM @ 24-bit/192kHz and 2ch DSD up to 5.6Mhz. Not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
Analog Audio Outputs: The Onkyo TX-8270 is outfitted with the following analog audio outputs.
- Binding-Post A-B Speaker Terminals: There are binding-post terminals for the A-B speaker terminals. The binding post terminals will accept bare-wire, pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use 4- to 16-ohm speakers.
- Dual Subwoofer Outputs: The receiver is fitted with two subwoofer outputs to connect dual powered subs for extra bass. The dual outputs are wired in parallel and share the same input signal (the are not discrete).
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the main speakers are automatically muted.
Impedance Switch: If you're using only one of the speaker sets (A or B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 4Ω to less than 6Ω, or choose the 6Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 6Ω or more. If you're using both of the speaker sets (A & B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 8 to 16Ω.
Volume Setup: The Onkyo stereo receiver provides the following volume settings.
- IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input (+/-12dB) selector individually. This is useful if one of your source components is louder or quieter than the others. This function does not work in Zone 2.
- Maximum Volume: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 50-99 (max), or Off (default value).
- Power On Volume: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Last (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Min (0.5), Custom (0.5-99.5), or Max (99.5).
- Mute Level: Set the volume lowered from the listening volume when "Mute" is selected. Choose from 0, -40dB, or -20 dB.
- Headphone Level: With this setting, you can specify the headphone volume (+/-12dB) relative to the main volume. This is useful if there's a volume difference between your speakers and your headphones.
HDMI 2.0a: The Onkyo TX-8270 has four HDMI 2.0a inputs and one HDMI (ARC) 2.0a output. Thanks to the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, the receiver can support 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, HDCP 2.2 compatibility, High Dynamic Range (HDR), 4:4:4 color sub-sampling, and BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut.
- 4K/60Hz: The TX-8270 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and outputs. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI
- HDCP 2.2: The receivers HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor output support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The TX-8270 offers support for HDR 10 and Dolby Vision HDR (High Dynamic Range) formats. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI inputs and HDMI monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Other HDMI Features: The TX-8270 stereo receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers ARC (Audio Return Channel), 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v. Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): The receiver's HDMI output features ARC (Audio Return Channel). This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Auto Lip-Sync: The Lip-Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video (for any HDMI jack) that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip-Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the stereo receiver. You can also manually correct the audio delay from 0 (no delay) to 400 milliseconds; in 10 millisecond steps.
- 3D-Ready: All HDMI jacks will accept 3D video from your 3D-ready Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready flat-panel television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The stereo receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
HDMI Standby Through: When enabling the HDMI Standby Through function, regardless of whether the stereo receiver is "Off" or in "Standby", both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI Through modes.
- Auto: Detects the signal and automatically selects the input sources.
- Source: Selects the HDMI input source for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the stereo receiver to the "standby" mode.
Video Select: It is possible to play audio and video from different sources. For example, you can play audio via Bluetooth and video from your BD/DVD player. This function is only effective when an input with audio only (Network, Bluetooth, or Tuner) has been selected initially.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-8270 stereo receiver supports a wired Ethernet (RJ-45) or wireless WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) network connection. Via the stereo receiver's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online music services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo stereo receiver is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the receiver's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The stereo receiver also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA Certified: Because the TX-8270 is DLNA (ver.15) certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA compliant media server through the stereo receiver. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz)
- Lossless: ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Built-in Online Music Services: The Onkyo TX-8270 offers several built-in internet radio & online music services through its wired or wireless network connection.
- TuneIn: With more than 100,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Pandora: Pandora is a personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.
- Tidal: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Onkyo stereo receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your Apple (iOS 7.0+) or Android (OS 2.3+) mobile device to the Onkyo stereo receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Onkyo receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Onkyo receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery.
Note: Make sure the TX-8270 has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo TX-8270 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1+LE) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, & Mac laptop/computer, as well as other Bluetooth compatible devices to the Onkyo receiver. The receiver has a 48' wireless Bluetooth range.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the TX-8270 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You can use the receiver's IR remote control to operate basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- Song/Artist Information: The receiver will display song/artist information on its front-panel LCD and through its on-screen on your HDMI-connected TV. Album Art is not supported.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo receiver.
Dual USB Ports: This stereo receiver is equipped with a front & rear panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The unit will recognize USB MSC devices formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 with up to 20,000 music files. You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (Front = 5V/1A, Rear = 5V/0.5A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Music Files: AIFF (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 44.1-192kHz), DSD (1-bit; 2.8/5.6MHz)
- Low-Res Music Files: MP3 (8-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), WMA (5-320kbps; 44.1-48kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 44.1-96kHz)
Notes: USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android devices are not supported via USB.
Zone 2: In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio playback from a different source in another room of your home using the receiver's Zone 2 line-level outputs. By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the TX-8270, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 2ch stereo in the main room and play a different 2ch audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is fixed, and can be only be controlled by your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Zone Sources: Tuner, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital (2ch PCM only), USB, Network (not DSD), and Bluetooth audio sources can be sent to Zone 2.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: HDMI sources cannot be output to Zone 2.
Note: As for Network, USB, and Bluetooth sources; you cannot select different inputs for the main room and Zone 2. For example, if a Network source been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as playback source in Zone 2, the input in the main room will also change to the Bluetooth source. When listening to AM/FM radio, you cannot select different stations for the main room and Zone 2.
Google Home Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a Chromecast built-in music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
FireConnect MultiRoom Audio: FireConnect powered by Blackfire mirrors network audio sources and any external analog source playing through the receiver (from streaming audio to vinyl) on optional FireConnect/Blackfire wireless speakers (such as the Onkyo NCP-302, sold separately). Sampling rates up to 48 kHz are supported. FireConnect powered by Blackfire is stable, fast, and easy to control with Onkyo's Controller app for Apple iOS and Android.
Note: Make sure the Onkyo receiver has the latest firmware/software update installed. Onkyo cannot guarantee the compatibility with other devices featuring FireConnect or Blackfire.
DTS Play-Fi (Firmware Update Available): DTS Play-Fi combines DTS and WiFi to wirelessly stream high quality audio through out your home using the Play-Fi app for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, & Windows 7 PC or later. Supported music formats up to 24-bit/192kHz (including MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) are wirelessly streamed to the receiver at up to 24-bit/96kHz (Critical Listening Mode) or to multiple DTS Play-Fi players up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). You can connect multiple DTS Play-Fi products together from different brands and manufacturers on the same home network to create a whole-home streaming experience. Play the same source in every room or a different song in each room. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router. Compatible sources include -
- Source Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from Apple iOS & Android devices, Windows laptops & desktop computers, as well as DLNA-servers on your existing home WiFi network to the Onkyo receiver. Up to eight separate wireless source devices, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Sonos Connect Ready (Firmware Update Available): Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your Onkyo receiver with Sonos Connect (sold separately) and a free over-the-network firmware update. With the Sonos Connect connected to the Onkyo receiver via a set of stereo RCA cable, the audio system you've built around the receiver can now be part of a Sonos Wireless Multiroom Audio System (components sold separately). After a simple set up, the Onkyo receiver will seamlessly tie into Sonos, instantly turning on from network standby, changing inputs and playing at the volume you command through the Sonos controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Functionality: Once the Onkyo receiver is connected to the Sonos Connect you will be able to send any music or source on the Sonos app to the receiver. You will also be able to group the receiver to other Sonos devices on the network or use it independently. Whenever you start playing music back from your Sonos app and the Onkyo receiver is selected, the receiver will automatically turn on and switch to the correct input.
- Compatibility: The Onkyo receiver can be used with the Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 or any combination of these speakers (all sold separately). You can even use the Onkyo receiver with a Playbar or Playbase (sold separately) that is located in a different room. Just remember that you need to have a Sonos Connect to connect the Onkyo receiver to the Sonos multiroom audio system.
Note: Click here to learn even more about Onkyo and Sonos working together to give you the ultimate home theater and multiroom audio experience.
Onkyo Controller App: The Onkyo Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ & Android OS 4.0.3) features an intuitive, user-friendly interface that allows you to conveniently operate the Onkyo receiver from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. This app not only has the usual remote control functions, it also has a multiroom functionality for Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio setups.
- Remote Control: You can operate general control functions (play/stop, control the volume, select the input source, etc.) from your compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Source Device Playback: Operation of connected products (like a Blu-Ray player or TV) that are connected to the receiver via HDMI.
- Streaming Audio: Lets you play audio from built-in music streaming services (such as Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL), the music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, and your Windows PC or other DLNA-compatible server. You can also access music from Bluetooth and USB source devices.
- Multiroom Audio: Provides control over Zone 2 and wireless multiroom audio (such as FireConnect by Blackfire).
Google Home Voice Commands: With the Google Home voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.2+), you can use your voice to control select functions of the Onkyo stereo receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
IR Remote: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC).
HDMI Control: This function allows HDMI-CEC compatible components or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the TX-8270 . The stereo receiver offers the following HDMI-CEC controls.
- The stereo receiver will enter Standby mode when the power of the TV is turned to Standby.
- You can set on the menu screen of the TV to either output the audio from the speakers connected to the stereo receiver, or from the speakers of the TV.
- It is possible to output the audio/video from the antenna or from the input jack of the TV from the speakers connected to the stereo receiver.
- Input to the stereo receiver can be selected with the remote controller of the TV.
- Operations such as volume adjustment or similar for the stereo receiver can be performed from the remote controller of the TV.
Remote Jacks: The TX-8270 contains RI Control & IR Remote connections. The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system and locating the remote sensor in sight. The 3.5mm IR output jack allows you to send the control signals to an additional components. The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Web Control: When connected to your home's wired or wireless network, you can setup the Onkyo stereo receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Assistance (HDMI only): The Onkyo stereo receiver offers an on-screen (GUI) menu system through its HDMI output. The simple on-screen display combines text and graphics that make setup and other operations extremely easy. The initial setup assistant takes you step-by-step through speaker configuration, source connection, remote programming, and network connection.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with WAV, FLAC, and ALAC music files via USB.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the Network and Bluetooth input selectors.
Display Dimmer: The front-panel display brightness has three settings - Dim, Dimmer, and Normal.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: The stereo receiver will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 20 minutes with no audio/video signal input. The Sleep Timer can be set to automatically turn off the receiver after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I wanted to upgrade from the tx 8050 and the 8270 has more power. [ VENANCIO Jul 06, 2018 ]
To replace an old two-channel receiver which stopped working. I use other Onkyo products and have been satisfied with them. [ Alvis Jun 24, 2018 ]
Norm helped me to figure out that this was the best purchase for the price and my expectation for the receiver. [ WILLIAM F Jun 07, 2018 ]
has every thing i need, 100 watts per channel, built in dac,subwoofer out, hdmi ports. [ Diarmuid Jun 01, 2018 ]
Ryan guided me to this unit during our chat conversation. [ ROSS May 24, 2018 ]
Good product reviews on Crutchfield and online in general. Good, clean power, good options to meet my needs, for primarily music listening. [ MARK Apr 03, 2018 ]
Crutchfield Chat directed me to this 2.1 System. Thanks muchly! [ Rick Mar 24, 2018 ]
this is my 3rd onyko receiver. all thre have performed well. i trust in onkyo to be an excellent product. [ JOHN M Feb 21, 2018 ]
replacing 15 year old sony receiver. needed analog communications with older gear and compatibility with future digital gear. [ Aaron Feb 10, 2018 ]
Heard positive things about Onkyo. Has all the options I want also without braking the bank account. [ Dennis Feb 07, 2018 ]
Upon recommendation from Cody, after discussing our needs for an A/V receiver. Chose this product over the Yamaha given that I'd like more port flexibility for this location. And Cody reassured me that your 'scratch & dent' products are mechanically sound. Since this is in a cabinet, I won't mind some minor blemishes; however, I would appreciate it if your fulfillment group will find the 'nicest one available' to send to us! ;-) [ Peter Jan 31, 2018 ]
I have purchased products from Crutchfield for 20 years. I do this because of the quality, selection, online information, technical support and competitive pricing. [ Brian Jan 06, 2018 ]
Wanted quality stereo to drive in wall speaker system [ M Dec 28, 2017 ]
Allowed me to set up a turn table without a pre-amp as well as several connections for additional speakers and use the pre-amp for the DVD player. [ John J. Dec 11, 2017 ]
HDMI Connection [ Paul Dec 11, 2017 ]
Great reviews and ease of purchase from Crutchfield [ EDWARD Dec 06, 2017 ]
Tyler recommended, HDMI ports, high rating on Crutchfield and many other sites. [ Nathaniel Nov 29, 2017 ]
i wanted a simple Hi-Fi Amplifier/ Receiver with a few 2017 features and this unit fit the bill. ample power to run my Polk RTiA9 [ Kourosh Aug 12, 2017 ]
This receiver will allow me to set up a 2 channel audio system and hook up a 4K HDR tv as well. It will be connected to a pair of HERESEY3 speakers and a OPPO 203 player for playing CD's. [ Mark Aug 08, 2017 ]
Price (499.), simplicity (2 channel), Bluetooth (for Pandora), separate connection for an amplified sub woofer, and power (100 watts per channel). Also my CD player, my cassette deck, and my Blue Ray DVD player/TV all need some back up. Who knows, I might even start listening to the radio again. [ Joel Jul 25, 2017 ]
Needed to power a set of outdoor speakers and be switchable to another room too. Wanted at least 100w. per channel. [ Marcus Jul 22, 2017 ]
had all the features I was looking for [ Vance Jul 10, 2017 ]
Had all of the options and hook-ups that i needed. [ James Jul 04, 2017 ]
It has all the features that I wanted at a good price with free 2 day shipping. [ bobby Jul 03, 2017 ]
It had all the features I was looking for and the price was fairly reasonable. [ Ellie Jun 04, 2017 ]
Ha e a 8255 Wanted more power [ ric May 29, 2017 ]
10 questions already asked
Don't know... sorry [ john Aug 30, 2018 ]
I do not know. Perhaps you should ask the people at Crutchfield. [ William Aug 22, 2018 ]
Since the zone 2 output is a line level signal, a separate amplifier is required. [ heavybdrums Aug 21, 2018 ]
Not a clue. Might be in the specs. [ airmecher1 Aug 02, 2018 ]
4 answers I mainly listen to music 70% & 30% movies, but My 3d bluray player (source) has only 1 HDMI output (combine audio and video). If I connect HDMI output from my bluray player to this Onkyo8270 BD/DVD HDMI port and by another HDMI cable, connect my TV to Onkyo8270 RCA HDMI out port , could I have my 3d movice on screen and also stereo sound from my both Focal Arya 926 stand speakers? thx [ jamshid May 31, 2018 ]
Yes. Absolutely [ Brian Jun 08, 2018 ]
Can't answer that. Tech support may be able to help... they've always been spot on for my questions. [ D Jun 08, 2018 ]
Using the HDMI ports on the receiver will assure lip synchronization for your movies. There are acoustic settings to tailor the room for your sonic preferences and you can bypass these settings entirely. You can play speakers A and B at the same time if you don't blast the volume. Enjoy. [ Peter C. Jun 08, 2018 ]
It should work. The receiver is very versatile. Don't know your stand speaker input type but I have an HDMI out to a speaker bar, output A to Bose bookshelfs and output B to Polk Audio speakers outside. The different ways to source the sound is quite varied. I am very pleased with it. I have a cable box, wifi, bluetooth, Amazon, blue ray and USB I can mix and match so many different ways i am still learning. With the phone app i sit out back and control it via that. Awesome component with all the power we need. [ airmecher1 Jun 08, 2018 ]
Stephen, you absolutely can access Internet radio either from the receiver itself, or via the Remote supplied with the receiver. In my case, I pre-loaded Pandora Spotify and other Internet radio information via Wi-Fi, and once my accounts were loading the receiver I was able to recover them whenever I wanted them. There are preset buttons on the front of the receiver, but I haven't opted to use them yet. I believe you can set them up to recall any particular Internet radio station, or any broadcast station, that you want. I download the manual and get the details online if that's really an important feature. Overall, I absolutely love the receiver. It does everything I wanted to do and more. [ JOE Jan 22, 2018 ]
the tx-8270 has more power anf hdmi pass thru, tx-8270 has more audio inputs [ Kourosh Nov 07, 2017 ]
The 8270 has HDMI support and 100 vs. 80 watts. [ Ron Nov 07, 2017 ]
The 8160 does not have video connectivity, strictly stereo audio. [ ROSA Nov 07, 2017 ]
Yes you can, and can do so from all inputs both digital and analog. [ JOE Oct 29, 2017 ]
Yes I believe so. [ Michael Oct 29, 2017 ]
Absolutely! [ Marc Oct 29, 2017 ]
Yes. Be mindful of the impedance of your speakers, set the receiver impedance output correctly before using the unit, and don't over-extend the amplifier. It is generally safe to play both pairs of speakers at low volume. [ Peter C. Oct 29, 2017 ]
Receiver is rated at 100w/ch RMS power. The 340w must be dynamic power on musical peaks. [ William Sep 25, 2017 ]
1 answer My interest is mainly internet radio and the "tune-in" app. Will this model display the station and song info through the hdmi output to a connected tv when using "tune-in radio" or the other onboard internet apps? Or does that info only show up on the receiver lcd display? [ Edward Sep 08, 2017 ]
I don't think I 100% understand what you are asking. But I'll say this, which I think generally answers your question: If the unit is hooked up to a TV via HDMI, then if you have the TV turned on the unit displays on the TV whatever it's doing, in a richer way than on the LCD display. [ Michael Sep 09, 2017 ]
Just set it on 6. It'll be fine. [ airmecher1 Aug 30, 2017 ]
My understanding is that the default is 8 ohm. So you don't need to set anything. See page 10 oft the manual. "If any of the connected speakers have an impedance of 4 ? or more to less than 6 ?, or when a Speaker B system is to be used, after completing Initial Setup, you need to make some settings in the Setup menu. Press SETUP on the remote controller, select "2. Speaker" - "Configuration" and set "Speaker Impedance" to "4ohms". [ Brian Aug 29, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Stereo receiver with HDMI connections, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in
Network stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast
Network stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast