Item # 158G1200U | MFR # CDXG1200U
Our take on the Sony CDX-G1200U by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
A sound investment
When I buy electronics, I concentrate on getting just what I need, and I avoid techy gizmos and extra features I don't need. So if you're in the market for solid performance from a car stereo without a lot of bells and whistles, I think you should take a look at Sony's CDX-G1200U CD receiver.
The CDX-G1200U has a detachable face to deter theft.
Count the options
This versatile Sony will play your favorite CDs, including discs with MP3, WMA, and WAV files. The handy front-panel USB input handles your Android phone and your thumb drives, while it charges your mobile devices (sorry no iPod®/iPhone® control). The front-panel aux input will take care of any other devices, and you can tune in your favorite AM/FM stations to catch up on the news or listen to the ball game.
Crank it up
This receiver's punchy amplifier offers more than enough power to wake up your dormant factory speakers or drive a couple of nice new pairs. And for sound tweaking, the 10-band adjustable EQ will zero in on the exact sound you want. If you want to expand your system, you can use the set of preamp outputs to plug in a powered subwoofer or amplifier.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with single-line display
- MP3/WMA playback from CD or USB thumb drives
- FLAC file playback through USB
- remote control
- AOA 2.0 and MTP support for music file and streaming audio playback from select Android devices through USB input
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- EQ10 10-band equalizer with 11 presets
- Extra Bass bass boost
- subwoofer level control
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- inputs: front USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 3-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear and mono subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X211)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Face-fixing screw note
- Warranty Information
I needed a CD/receiver with USB and aux input for a 1980 vehicle. Because of modern circuit design I needed a ground isolater from Scoche and everything worked well. Customer support was great I may add. Thanks again!
Anonymous, Thiells, NY
We'll do the wiring for you
What in the world could be easier?
Peter from Westfield, MA
Take some of the stress out of your stereo installation with a custom-crimped Crutchfield ReadyHarness™. Enter your vehicle info to learn more.
Sony CDX-G1200U Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony CDX-G1200U features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3/WMA music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
- Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0° (horizontal) and 45°.
USB Mass Storage Class Device Playback: The CD receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC), such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, & FLAC audio files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Sony head unit. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the receiver. In addition, USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Music Files: The Sony CDX-G1200U supports the following types of compressed music files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW)||USB (MSC or MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
depth of 16 or 24-bit w/ sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48kHz |
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||256 folders/256 files per folder|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, FLaC|
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following music file information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Title.
Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers several unique search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments.
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Sony CDX-G1200U enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front-panel USB-A 2.0 port. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The CDX-G1200U supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the receiver's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Sony head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music + Song/Artist Info): The CDX-G1200U also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Sony receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: You will need to setup Android connectivity within the head unit's menu. Select "MSC/MTP" for MTP mode and "Android" for AOA 2.0 mode. Not all Android devices are compatible with AOA 2.0 or MTP, regardless of operating system.
Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) input is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional in-dash receiver, delivering 52 watts x 4 channels of Peak power to your vehicle's speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels, and smooth frequency response. The power output specs for the CDX-G1200U are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony CDX-G1200U are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2-Volt Preouts: The CDX-G1200U is equipped with a set of 2V rear-channel preouts and a 2V subwoofer preout. The subwoofer output offers independent level control (-6dB to +6dB) and phase control (Normal or Reverse)
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The receiver's high-pass crossover sends high and mid-range frequencies to your full-range speakers, while the low-pass crossover directs only bass frequencies to your connected subwoofer. The high-pass crossover and low-pass crossover filters can be adjusted to 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off (Full-Range).
EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Karaoke, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz).
Extra Bass: Extra Bass adds more low-end power to your music. It works by reinforcing bass notes to create deep, punchy bass.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony CDX-G1200U CD receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BTM: Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The CDX-G1200U features a detachable face for theft prevention. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
Single-Line LCD: The Sony CDX-G1200U features a single-line LCD with white text and a black background.
- Brightness: You can adjust the brightness level of the LCD between 1-10.
- Sound Synchronization: Sound Synchronization activates the synchronization of the LCD & button illumination with the receiver's sound output. The receiver's illumination will pulse with the beat of the music.
- Auto Scroll: Auto Scroll allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Note: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X211) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Ken Nail
If you're looking for solid and steady performance from a car stereo, take a look at Sony's CDX-G1200U CD receiver. Take a look in this demo video.
Why did you buy this?
i needed one [ james Aug 04, 2018 ]
This is for our new John Deere 4066 cab tractor. It sets up on the side above your head and is some hard to see. That is why I needed the remote. I carry my I phone with me anyway so the blue tooth was not needed as hands free out in the field is not needed as well. Needed something simple with flash drive for music files. Using the cd player as a back up. Sony products are built well and hold up to the test of time. This is replacing the stock Jensen unit that lasted 1 year. [ Brian Jul 22, 2018 ]
son picked [ William Jun 12, 2018 ]
I previously had a Sony CD/Receiver in this vehicle. It worked well, with frequent use, for 13 years. After developing some difficulties with playing CDs it's time for a replacement. I'll add I also installed a JVC CD/Receiver in another car - it lasted less than a year. I'm sold on Sony. [ RTH Jun 12, 2018 ]
Replacing factory stereo [ Jon Apr 04, 2018 ]
Sony brand [ Eric Mar 08, 2018 ]
The factory stereo is toast in my car. I compared several receivers and this one had what I wanted for the best price. [ Laurie Jan 30, 2018 ]
best overall buy for vehicle. just needed something basic to replace crappy factory set up. [ brian Dec 12, 2017 ]
I currently have one in my other vehicle and it more than meets my needs and I awill familiar with it's operation. [ Robert Nov 24, 2017 ]
Had the features I wanted and the price I needed [ Joseph Sep 18, 2017 ]
Best features for the price and ease of operating with USB drive. [ D May 19, 2017 ]
because it is compatible with the stereo I have now [ Ilona May 12, 2017 ]
A friend told me about this unit. [ Theresa Feb 28, 2017 ]
seems like the best one for me [ Rickey Dec 13, 2016 ]
Bluetooth for Harley, and 20 watts rms is a nice upgrade to factory unit. [ Bill Nov 25, 2016 ]
Like Sony equipment, always been good to me. [ Timothy R. Nov 16, 2016 ]
Upgrade of the head unit in my Sony showcar. All of the control and pre-out features I need, plus more EQ bands. [ Carl Oct 30, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
The stereo does not offer a color-changing display but it does feature their "Sound Synchronization" feature: Sound Synchronization activates the synchronization of the LCD & button illumination with the receiver's sound output. The receiver's illumination will pulse with the beat of the music. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the stereo's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. [ Ryan Mar 30, 2018 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer, or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Jul 29, 2017 ] Staff