Dual moving magnet phono cartridge with MicroLine® stylus and headshell
Our take on the Audio-Technica VM540ML/H by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
This pre-mounted cartridge gets you in the groove
What makes one stylus better than another? The shape and mounting of the stylus — the tiny diamond that traces a record's grooves — is where small changes make a big difference in sound quality. The Audio-Technica VM540ML features an advanced 2.2 x 0.12 mil MicroLine stylus that gets deep into the cut and reproduces the smallest details of the music.
This premium cartridge comes pre-mounted in an AT-HS10BK universal headshell designed to fit a standard 1/2" mount for compatibility with a wide range of turntables.
- high-quality phono cartridge pre-mounted in an lightweight headshell
- dual moving magnet design for excellent stereo separation
- center shield plate between left and right channels reduces crosstalk
- durable low-resonance polymer cartridge housing
- 2.2 x 0.12 mil MicroLine stylus traces grooves extremely accurately
- multilevel shape reduces wear on records
- all-metal cantilever
- frequency response 20-27,000 Hz
- output voltage: 4.0 mV
- stereo separation: 28 dB
- channel balance: 1.0 dB
- tracking force range: 1.8-2.2 grams
- recommended tracking force: 2.0 grams
- load impedance: 47k ohms
- 3/4"W x 3/4"H x 1-1/8"D
- cartridge weight: 6.4 grams
- lightweight aluminum 1/2"-mount headshell
- finger lift is positioned near the front of headshell to enable precise placement of stylus
- gold-plated lead wires resist corrosion to ensure good signal transfer
- 13/16"W x 1/2"H x 2"D
- weight: 0.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dual moving magnet stereo phono cartridge (pre-mounted to 1/2"-Mount headshell)
- User Manual
- Disposal Note
Amazing separation. Very low noise.
Eric D, Olive Branch, MS
Audio-Technica VM540ML/H Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Headshell/Cartridge Combo Kit: Audio-Technica's VM540ML/H combo kit includes the VM540ML MicroLine dual moving magnet cartridge pre-mounted on the AT-HS10BK universal 1/2"-mount headshell.
Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge: he VM540ML MicroLine stylus cartridge is the premier 500 Series model in Audio-Technica's new VM cartridge line. Like all VM cartridges, the VM540ML is equipped with dual magnets that are positioned to match the left and right channels in the stereo record groove for outstanding channel separation and extended frequency response. The cartridge's MicroLine stylus allows it to trace the record groove with incredible accuracy, resulting in nuanced audio reproduction that elliptical and conical styli simply can't match. The stylus' multilevel shape also wears better than other styli, while reducing the wear on your records.
- VM dual magnet cartridge with with MicroLine stylus
- Aluminum cantilever
- Paratoroidal coils improve generating efficiency
- Center shield plate between the left and right channels reduces crosstalk
- Durable low-resonance polymer housing
Universal 1/2"-Mount Head Shell: The lightweight aluminum AT-HS10 is a universal 1/2"-mount headshell for 4-pin turntable cartridges. Featuring an aluminum die-cast body, the AT-HS10 is designed to keep vibration to the bare minimum. The finger lift is positioned near the front of headshell to enable precise placement of the stylus onto the record. The headshell is equipped with gold-plated lead wires for lossless signal transmission and comes with mounting screws.
- Universal 1/2"-mount headshell for 4-pin turntable cartridges
- Ultra-lightweight aluminum die-cast body keeps vibration to the bare minimum
- Finger lift is positioned near the front of headshell to enable precise placement of the stylus onto the record
- Gold-plated lead wires for lossless signal transmission
- Frequency Response: 20-27,000 Hz
- Channel Separation: 28 dB (1 kHz)
- Vertical Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2 g (2.0 g standard)
- Stylus Construction: Nude square shank
- Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
- Output: 4.0 mV (at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
- Channel Balance: 1.0 dB (1 kHz)
- Stylus Shape: 2.2 x 0.12 mil MicroLine
- Cantilever: Aluminum tapered pipe
- Mount: 1/2"
- Replacement Stylus: Part # VMN40ML
- Coil Impedance: 2,700 ohms (1 kHz)
- DC Resistance: 800 ohms
- Load Capacitance: 100-200 pF
- Coil Inductance: 460 mH (1 kHz)
- Static Compliance: 40 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Dynamic Compliance: 10 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
- Vertical Tracking Angle: 23°
Dimensions (Cartridge & Shell): 0.8125" (w) x 0.8.25" (h) x 2.4375" (d)
Weight (Cartridge & Shell): 16.8 g (0.6 oz)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Quality of product and compatibility with Technics SL-1210 GR. [ Richard Aug 15, 2018 ]