Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD
DVD/CD/MP3 Receiver with 7" Color LCD Monitor
Our take on the Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
The incredible Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD receiver is your all-in-one mobile video source! Its impressive list of features starts with the built-in DVD player that plays DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 discs. Then it adds a dazzling 7" monitor that's fully motorized when you turn the power off, it retracts completely into the chassis of the receiver.
Clarion's 3-band Beat EQ offers tight sound control over your lows, mids, and highs, while dual 24-bit digital-to-audio converters and 4-way built-in high power (18 watts RMS/53 peak x 4) ensure that your CDs and DVDs sound fantastic. You can only watch movies on the VRX935VD's screen when you're parked, but if you connect a rear-seat monitor and wireless headphones to the system, you can enjoy dual-zone mode you get to listen to one source, like the radio, up front while passengers in the back get to watch a movie.
If it's great mobile theater sound you're looking for, the VRX935VD gives you a fiber-optic output for an optional surround sound processor. The loop-back function allows you to return the audio signal from the surround processor into the VRX935VD's 4-channel internal amplifier. Simply add the Clarion SRK5 powered center speaker and a powered subwoofer system, and you've got the impact of 5.1 sound with only one extra amp!
Open the 7" monitor screen, and adjust the 3-position depth control and 5-position tilt angle for maximum visibility (the monitor remembers your preferred setting when it's opened again). The touch panel control makes system changes with a touch of your finger, while the V-Matrix screen saver lets you change the background to one of 8 colors.
And the entertainment options don't stop there! Two video inputs and an auxiliary audio input let you add even more components. Controls for an optional TV tuner and an optional SIRIUS Satellite Radio tuner round out the package (antenna and Sirius subscription also required).
SIRIUS offers more than 120 channels of top-notch entertainment for just $12.95 per month. Check out 65 channels of totally commercial-free music, which feature an incredible variety of songs from a wide range of genres. You'll also get news, talk, sports, and entertainment, including round-the-clock traffic/weather updates for major metropolitan areas and broadcasts of NFL, NBA, and NHL games. (Satellite radio service is available only within the lower 48 states not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories.) Subscribers can also take advantage of free online streaming of all SIRIUS music.
- motorized 7" touch-panel TFT display
- detachable control panel
- plays DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 discs
- reads MP3 ID3 tags
- 3 sets of 4-volt preamp outputs
- video input (2-pin jack for connecting Clarion equipment)
- RCA audio/video input
- 4-channel loop-back circuit (lets you use the built-in amp in conjunction with an optional surround processor)
- dual-zone audio
- dual 24-bit D/A converters
- CD and DVD changer controls
- Magi-Tune+ tuner
- Beat EQ (3-band parametric EQ)
- TV tuner controls
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio controls (SIRIUS Radio subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
- V-Matrix screen saver
- fiber optic output for optional Dolby Digital® & DTS® decoder
- wireless remote
- 18 watts RMS/53 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
- FM sensitivity 9 dBf
- 2-year warranty
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD/Video CD/DVD/Changer controller receiver
- Detachable control panel
- Plastic detachable control panel case
- Trim ring
- Hideaway unit
- RCB-161 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 8' Connection cord (has a 19-pin male connector on each end)
- 34" Main unit wiring harness (has in-line noise filter and 3A fuse)
- 8' Hideaway unit wiring harness (has in-line 15A fuse)
- 8' Antenna extension cord (has a male Motorola connector on one end and a female Motorola connector on the other end)
- 2 Hook plates
- 2 Metal mounting brackets
- 1 Rubber cap
- 4 Plastic clips
- 1 Scotch lock
- One 3.75" wire tie
- 1 Mounting bolt
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- 5 Hexagonal bolts (each bolt has a flat washer)
- Four 5/16" machine screws
- Four 1/8" machine screws
- 1 Plastic spacer
- 1 Silica gel packet
- Owner's manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Caution sheet
- Sirius Satellite Radio information sheet
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS DECK!! IT IS BAD!! My husband & I just installed it in our Grand Am & we have the baddest, best sounding Grand Am around! Not only that but we go on a lot of road trips and it's nice watching movies, especially cause the picture is amazing! Thanks Clarion!
Shauntel, Tooele, UT
Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||53 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green or Red/Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Partial Detachable Control Panel: To prevent theft, the control button section can be detached with a release key.
Motorized 7" Touch Panel TFT Display: This unit has a motorized 7" TFT wide screen display with touch panel controls. The display is also a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos.
Touch Panel Controls: This unit has touch panel controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
V-Matrix Graphics: The wide 7" TFT display enables enjoyment of innovative graphics with V-Matrix. These graphics are comprised of 4 layers, and can be customized as desired. The display dramatically highlights the music with eight different screen colors and motion display modes that are selectable for easy customization.
Key Pad: An on-screen key pad can be displayed, giving you easier access to the functions in each mode.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle for better visibility. The display can be adjusted to one of five angles. In addition, the display slides forward or backward. You can select one of three slide positions.
Auto Dimmer Feature: When the auto dimmer feature is turned on, the brightness of the display adjusts automatically depending on the lighting conditions.
Dimmer Feature: This unit is equipped with a wire that Clarion calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the illumination wire of this unit receives power and the auto dimmer feature has been turned off, the display will dim to a user-selectable preset level.
Note: When the power and constant wires are connected and the illumination wire is supplied with voltage (when you turn your lights on), the button illumination remains on even if the unit is turned off completely.
Sirius Satellite Radio Controls: This unit can control the optional Clarion Sirius Satellite tuner (sold separately). The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, will allow you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio.
Clarion CeNET TV Tuner Control: This unit is capable of controlling Clarion's CeNET TV tuner.
Clarion CeNET Multi-channel Processor Control: This unit can control the DVH920 Clarion CeNET multi-channel processor.
Clarion CeNET DVD Deck Control: This unit is compatible with Clarion's CeNET DVD deck.
3-Band Beat EQ: This unit has a built-in 3-band equalizer. Three equalizer curves are preset into memory and may be modified. In addition to the three factory presets, you may store your own settings under the "User Custom" preset. The factory presets are "Bass Boost" (bass emphasized), "Impact" (bass and treble emphasized), and "Excite" (bass and treble emphasized, mids de-emphasized). When "Bass Boost" is selected, you can adjust the bass setting from -3dB to +3dB in 1dB increments. When "Impact" or "Excite" is selected, you can adjust the bass and treble setting from -3dB to +3dB in 1dB increments. When "User Custom" is selected, you can independently adjust the gain, frequency and Q factor for the bass and midrange. For the treble, you can adjust the gain and frequency.
Source Titling: Titles, up to 10 characters long, can be stored and recalled from memory for radio stations, TV stations, and individual discs in a connected changer. 30 titles may be entered for the tuner mode and 15 titles may be entered for TV tuner mode. In CD changer mode, you may enter 100 CD titles when using the DCZ625 or 50 titles when using the CDC1255z changer.
Magi-Tune+ FM Tuner: This receiver is equipped with Clarion's proprietary Magi-Tune+ FM Tuner, which improves sensitivity and selectivity for excellent FM stereo reproduction.
Instant Station Recall (ISR): This feature gives you one touch recall of a single favorite radio station (this is in addition to the 18 FM and 6 AM presets).
Dual 24-bit D/A Converters: The dual 24-bit D/A converters re-quantize the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play MP3 files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels and a maximum of 255 files and folders.
Top Play Button: Pressing the "Top" button while a CD is playing will start the disc playing from track 1 again.
Dual-zone Capability: The VRX935VD includes a 2-zone switcher that allows rear seat passengers to enjoy a separate audio/video program on an optional rear monitor screen, while the front seat passengers enjoy a completely separate source.
CCD Camera Compatible: You can connect a compatible Clarion CCD camera to the hideaway unit.Fiber Optic Output: This unit has a fiber optic output allowing you to connect an optional compatible Dolby Digital/DTS decoder.
Front and Rear 4.0-Volt Preamp Inputs/Outputs: This unit is equipped with gold-plated front and rear RCA preamp inputs/outputs. These are dual mode connections (there is not one set of outputs and another set of inputs). When used as line outputs, the "Line In/Line Out" switch, located on the hideaway unit, must be set to the "Line Out" position. By setting the "Line In/Line Out" switch to the "Line In" position, this unit's front and rear preamp connections can accept an audio signal from a Clarion expanded EQ or DSP module; this feature allows the unit to amplify signals processed by an EQ/DSP module and send it to your speakers, without the need for external amplifiers.
Video CD Playback: In addition to DVDs, this unit is compatible with Video CDs.
Scan Play: This feature allows you to play the first 10 seconds of each chapter on a DVD.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD, you may move forward through the program being played in slow motion. Slow motion playback cannot be performed in reverse.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
DVD System Settings:
- Screen Size: allows you to select 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan & scan, or 16:9
- Angle Mark Display: can be turned on or off. When this feature is turned on, an angle mark display appears on the screen for scenes that were shot at different angles.
- Disc Menu Language: allows you to select English, French, Spanish, Chinese, or Japanese as the disc menu language
- Audio Language: allows you to select English, French, Spanish, Chinese, or Japanese as the audio language
- Subtitle Language: allows you to select English, French, Spanish, Chinese, or Japanese as the subtitle language
- Parental Lock: allows you to select a parental control ratings from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password
- Output Mode:
allows you to select one of the following output modes:
- Analog: outputs analog audio signals through RCA connections
- Digital RAW: outputs 5.1-channel digital signals through the optical connection. PCM audio signals are output downsampling the signal from 96kHz to 48kHz.
- Digital PCM: outputs 2-channel digital signals through the optical connection. PCM audio signals are output downsampling the signal from 96kHz to 48kHz.
CeNET Compatibility: This unit can control compatible CeNET CD, MD, and DVD changers.
Multiple Changer Control: Using an optional Y-adapter, this unit can control two CeNET changers.
C-Bus Compatibility: The RCB138 adapter (sold separately) allows this CeNET unit to control a 6-disc C-Bus changer. The RCB138 is for 6-disc changers only and cannot be used with C-Bus 12-disc changers, 18-disc changers, processors or TV tuners.
Top Function: Pressing the "Top" button while a CD is playing will start the disc playing from track 1 again.
CD Title Memory: When used with a compatible CD changer, this feature allows you to assign names to discs in the changer. Each name can be up to 10 characters in length. The number of names you can store depends on the CD changer that is connected to the head unit.
Rear of Head Unit:
- Fiber Optic Output: for connecting an optional compatible Dolby Digital/DTS decoder.
- Hideaway Unit: 19-pin female jack that connects to the hideaway unit using the supplied connection cord
Left Side of Hideaway Unit:
- Front Audio Out: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- Rear Audio Out: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- Non-fader Audio Out: gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- CCD: 2-pin jack for connecting a compatible Clarion CCD camera
- Visual 2 In: 2-pin jack for connecting compatible Clarion equipment
- Radio Antenna: female Motorola jack
Right Side of Hideaway Unit:
- Harness: 18-pin male jack for use with supplied Hideaway unit wiring harness
- CeNET: CeNET jack for connecting compatible Clarion equipment
- Main Unit: 19-pin female jack that connects to the head unit using the supplied connection cord
- Video Out: RCA composite video jack
- Visual 1 Audio Input: stereo RCA jacks (typically used along with the Visual 1/DVD changer video input to accept signals from an A/V source)
- Visual 1/DVD Changer Video Input: one RCA composite video jack
- TV Tuner Input: one RCA composite video jack (to be used with a CeNET Clarion TV tuner equipped with a composite video output)
- Hideaway Unit: W=12.25", H=1.481", D=7.124"
Warranty Note: For 2003 ProAudio models, Clarion has extended the 2-year warranty to all Crutchfield customers, even if the unit is not installed by an authorized Clarion dealer.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.