Bluesound Vault 2i
Streaming music player with 2TB drive, CD ripper, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and Bluetooth® (White)
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Bluesound Vault 2i by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Transfer CDs into a bit-perfect digital music archive
Computer electronics were never intended for high-definition audio. Ripping a CD into a computer can result in low-quality digital audio files. The Bluesound Vault 2i's built-in CD ripper makes bit-perfect digital copies of your discs, ensuring every detail is preserved. And the Vault 2i has 2TB of built-in storage, so there's plenty of room for those big full-resolution audio files.
You can also transfer your existing digital music files, consolidating all your digital libraries into the Vault 2i for easy access. And with a wired Ethernet connection to your router, the Vault 2i can be part of a Bluesound multi-room wireless audio system.
Compatible with AirPlay 2
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through your Bluesound system. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
And if you subscribe to Apple Music®, you can do even more. Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV 4K to control Apple Music with voice commands. Tell it what selection or playlist to play — and which Bluesound speakers or components you want it to play through.
High-quality Bluetooth streaming
The Vault 2i features aptX® HD Bluetooth streaming for higher-fidelity sound with compatible Bluetooth devices. The system is backward-compatible with earlier forms of Bluetooth, too. You can even share that Bluetooth source with other Bluesound music players around your house that are connected to your network.
A universe of music options
Bluesound is compatible with virtually all digital music formats — including high-resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz. Access the music stored on your computer or a networked hard drive. Stream from internet radio stations and online services like Spotify®, Deezer, and TIDAL (including their high-res MQA service tier). You can also enjoy downloads from high-res music sites such as HDtracks.
Two USB inputs located on the back panel lets you play files from flash drives - ideal when friends come over with their own music.
Control it all with an app
The BlueOS controller app is a free download for both Apple® and Android™ devices. Select songs from your smartphone or tablet. The app displays all of your music services, internet radio stations, and digital music libraries stored on your computer or server. Play music in one room, all rooms, or different tracks in different spaces around your home through BluOS-compatible speakers and players.
- communicates with other Bluesound players via your home network
- Ethernet connection required (cable included)
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, WMA-L, OGG FLAC, MQA, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supported sample rates: 32kHz to 192kHz
- supported bit depths 16-24
- slot-loading single CD ripper
- selectable formats: FLAC, MP3 (320kbps), WAV
- 2TB built-in hard drive
BluOS Controller app:
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your BluOS speakers and players
- control multi-room playback with two or more Bluesound speakers or components
- select Bluetooth as an input, then redistribute the stream to other rooms via Wi-Fi
- access music stored on smartphone, tablet, computer or network drive
- stream from-compatible services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Amazon Music, TuneIn, and Deezer (subscriptions may be required)
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming with aptX support for better sound with compatible devices
- Bluetooth streaming to paired headphones or speakers
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- top-mounted controls for volume and muting
- 2 USB Type-A ports for connecting with music files
- combination mini-optical/stereo minijack audio input
- analog RCA stereo audio output (stereo RCA-to-RCA cable included)
- coaxial digital audio output
- Toslink optical digital audio output
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- stereo minijack headphone output
- Ethernet port (Ethernet cable included)
- detachable AC power cord
- 8-5/8"W x 3-9/16"H x7-9/16"D
- weight: 4.05 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Network audio streamer w/ 2TB HDD
- 6' AC power cord
- 58" Ethernet cable
- 5' Stereo RCA cable
- 5' Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- Optical-to-3.5mm adapter
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
- License Agreement
Bluesound Vault 2i Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Vault 2i: The Bluesound Vault 2i provides a convenient way to store and listen to your digital music collection through your existing entertainment system and home network. The Vault 2i features a CD-ripper and 2TB hard-drive to store you CD-Audio music files. It also offers a wired network connection and can act as a NAS drive for storage & playback of digital music files on your Windows or Mac computer. In addition, its network connection lets you access even more music from online music services and internet radio. There is even a direct USB input for connection of a USB mass storage class device that contains music files and support for Bluetooth audio streaming. All of this can be controlled from your Apple iOS or Android device using the free BluOS Controller app.
CD-Ripper w/ 2TB Hard-Drive: The Vault 2i's slot-loading CD mechanism can rip an inserted audio CD directly to its 2TB hard-drive. Rip all your CDs rapidly in lossless high-resolution FLAC or WAV formats, space-saving MP3, or both simultaneously. You can also purchase, download, and store high-resolution tracks from HDTracks & HighResAudio on this dedicated ultra-quiet 2TB hard-drive; with no computer needed. Now, you'll be able to access and share your entire digital music collection and stream it in studio-quality to multiple rooms all over the home via the BluOS wireless eco-system.
- The Vault 2i uses a quality checking process to make the rip, encode, and index the audio from a CD audio disc. This process takes approximately 20 to 25 minutes for the average 60 minute CD.
- The Vault 2i can store up to18,000 songs in 24-bit/96kHz FLAC format. If you need more space, there is the option to add an extra USB hard drive via one of the USB (type-A) ports located on back of the Vault 2.
BluOS Wireless High-Resolution Multiroom Audio: The Bluesound Vault 2i is part of the BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio eco-system - consisting of powered speakers, soundbar speakers, amplifiers, players, and hard-drives. The BluOS wireless high-resolution multiroom audio ecosystem uses your home's wired or wireless network to connect multiple Bluesound products and play your music in perfect sync, or different music simultaneously, anywhere in your home. Using advanced technologies (like dual-band WiFi and an ARM Cortex9 1GHz Processor), BluOS can wirelessly transmit lossless music up to 24-bit/192kHz at ultra-fast speeds with no lag and zero loss in sound quality.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources: The following audio sources can be used for multiroom audio playback - internet radio (including TuneIn & iHeart Radio); online music services (including Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer, Slacker, and Napster); Bluetooth & USB audio, music libraries (from mobile devices; computers, and NAS drives); and Aux inputs (analog or digital).
- Number of BluOS Zones: Up to 16 Bluesound devices can be connected in a strictly wireless environment. Demonstrated practice has shown that you can create up to 8 groups of 8 Bluesound devices or 4 groups of 16 Bluesound devices. If you want to connect more than 16 Bluesound devices, you will need to connect the Bluesound devices to your network using a wired connection. BluOS can then control up to 64 devices in a strictly wired environment.
Note: Gen 2i of Bluesound is compatible with earlier generations of Bluesound products.
Wired Network Connection: The Bluesound Vault 2i is fitted with a Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for a wired connection to your home's network and internet provider. This network/internet connection allows you to listen to music on the Vault 2i's hard-drive on other Bluesound devices through out your home, plus lets you stream digital music files on your network connected Windows or Mac computer, as well as stream select online music services and internet radio to your existing home audio system and the rest of your Bluesound and BluOS-enabled components throughout your home.
- The Bluesound Vault 2i can only be connected to your network by a wired Ethernet connection. The Vault 2i does not have a wireless network card and does not support WiFi.
- Even though the Vault 2i only supports a wired network connection and does not support WiFi, a wireless network router is still required required for the BluOS Controller App.
High Resolution Audio: High-resolution audio tracks are either 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz, and contain up to 6.5x more data than standard CDs, letting you hear all the detail of your favorite music in superior quality. With full support for hi-res audio, you can stream WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA-Lossless, MQA music files over your home's WiFi network or directly from a connected USB mass storage class device. The Bluesound system also supports compressed music files such as MP3, AAC, WMA and OGG. Bluesound has been designed to work with today's larger music collections, and has indexed libraries up to 200,000 songs in demonstrated practice (this will depend on the music's metadata & artwork). Bluesound also offers gapless playback by default for all supported file music types.
|Compression||File Type||Sampling Frequency||Bit Rate or Bit Depth|
|Lossless||WMA-Lossless||up to 96 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|FLAC||192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
|Uncompressed||AIFF||up 192 kHz||up to 24-bit|
Notes: Bluesound cannot index or play AAC files with the extension ".m4p". These files were purchased in iTunes prior to 2009 and are subject to copy protection. Apple Consumers with an iTunes Match subscription can delete and re-download these files free of charge from their iTunes Cloud
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): Bluesound is the first wireless multiroom audio system to support MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. Bluesound worked closely with MQA to implement technology inside each Bluesound component to ensure the listener will hear MQA encoded music and streams exactly like the source and the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
Outputs: The Bluesound Vault 2i provides analog & digital outputs to connect to your existing home entertainment system, plus a sub out for adding a powered sub, a headphone jack for private listening, and a trigger output for remote activation of another component.
- Analog & Digital Outputs: The Vault 2i contains both analog and digital outputs. There is an analog RCA stereo output, plus one optical (toslink) digital output and one coax (RCA) digital output to connect the HDD to your home's existing audio system.
- Sub Output: The Vault 2i also features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for adding a powered sub. The sub output is full-range; you will need to use the low-pass crossover in your powered sub.
- Headphone Output: A 3.5mm headphone jack is located on the front of the Vault 2i for private listening with a set of headphones. The Vault 2i's output will be muted when headphones are connected.
- 12V Trigger Output: The 12V trigger output (3.5mm) can be used to control or activate other external device equipped with a corresponding 12V trigger input.
Optional Wireless Powered Sub: Using Bluesound's RT100 wireless adapter (sold separately), you can add the Bluesound Pulse Sub (sold separately) wirelessly to the Vault 2i for bigger bass response. A minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) will be required to make connection.
AC Power: The Bluesound Vault 2i operates off of standard household current using it's internal power supply and the supplied 6.5' detachable AC power cord.
Mounting Options: The Bluesound Vault 2i can simply rest on a table-top, shelf, stand, or other piece of furniture.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from Bluesound are delivered to the Vault 2i via your home network's Internet connection and the BluOS Controller app.
Online Music Services: Many popular music streaming services and internet radio apps are built right into BluOS, giving you an all-access pass to millions of songs and the freedom to listen to everything you want to hear. Using the BluOS Controller app, you can instantly discover and enjoy millions of songs from your existing music services, tune in to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts from around the world, or access and listen to the music collections stored on your smartphone, tablet or laptop on any and Bluesound in your home. Subscription and purchase fees will apply to online music services.
- Amazon Prime: With a Amazon Prime Music subscription, you can access over 2 million songs ad-free and on-demand, as well as curated playlists and personalized stations. Upgrade to an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription to access tens of millions of songs.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Bluesound system using Spotify Connect. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality
- TuneIn: The Bluesound system includes access to more than 70,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn internet radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 70,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- iHeart Radio: iHeart Radio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Slacker: Get the sound quality that you deserve with the new Slacker music library available in high-quality AAC audio on Bluesound. Listen to music streams at a bitrate of 320kbps and enjoy all your favorite Slacker stations in pristine MP3-quality.
- Deezer: Deezer lets you explore over 53 million tracks (and counting), and discover artists and tracks you'll love with personalized recommendations from the Deezer Editors. Bluesound even supports Deezer HiFi for lossless quality ($19.99 per month).
- Other Services: Other online music services include Qobuz, HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, KKBox, SoundMachine, and more.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
Music Libraries: The BluOS wireless multiroom audio system by Bluesound lets you easily connect and share your music collection from a computer or network-attached storage drive and access up to 200,000 tracks for wireless streaming. Plus wirelessly stream the music stored on your smartphone using WiFi.
- Mobile Device: From the BluOS Controller app, you can stream music directly over WiFi from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Vault 2i and the rest of your Bluesound products around your home. The app gives you complete control of your compatible mobile device's music library with song/artist information and album art.
- Computer Audio: The BluOS wireless music system will pull music from an existing digital music library across the network on your Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS drive using Windows or SMB File Sharing (SAMBA) and the BluOS Controller app for Windows (XP-up) & Mac (OS X 10.7-up). However, File Sharing is not enabled by default on Windows or Mac. You will have to manually alter these settings in your computer's menu system.
AirPlay 2 (via Future Firmware Update): The Vault 2i will support AirPlay 2 through a future firmware update later this year. With AirPlay 2, you'll be able to stream just about any sound (including music, books, podcasts and more) from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the Bluesound system - all in sync. You can even watch movies and videos from Netlfix or YouTube on your Apple device while streaming the audio through to the Bluesound system. AirPlay 2 also gives you more options for control, including using Siri voice assistance. If you are an Apple Music subscriber and add the Vault 2i to the Apple Home App on your iPhone or iPad, you can use your iOS device or HomePod to say things like - "Hey Siri, play jazz in the Living Room" or "Hey Siri, turn up the volume in the Kitchen." You can even group Gen 2i Bluesound products with older Bluesound products in the BluOS App to add AirPlay 2 compatibility to your entire BluOS system.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Bluesound Vault 2i offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with two-way wireless communication and support for aptX HD. You'll be able to wirelessly stream high-quality audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the Vault 2i. You'll also be able to use the Vault 2i as a source and wirelessly stream its audio content to a set of Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
- aptX HD: The advanced Qualcomm CSR8675 chip used in the Vault 2i supports aptX HD Bluetooth wireless audio. aptX HD is an enhanced codec that supports 24-bit audio over Bluetooth and has been engineered to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, resulting in lower background noise. With the ability to support streams up to 24bit/48kHz, you're able to wirelessly stream from an aptX HD compatible device to the Vault 2i without sacrificing sound quality and listen to "better-than-CD" quality audio.
- Two-Way Communication: The Vault 2i offers two-way Bluetooth, featuring both Receive and Transmit functionality. Receive capability allows you to wirelessly stream from your device to the Vault 2i. The Transmit capability means you can also use the Pulse Mini 2i as a source and what your are listening to via Bluetooth to a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
Note: The Vault 2i can be paired and connected via Bluetooth without utilizing a network connection or the BluOS Controll app.
Dual USB Ports: The Bluesound Node 2i features two USB (type-A) ports to directly connect your USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as a thumbdrive or external HDD. USB hard disk drives that require more than 0.5A of power will require a separate power supply. The unit's USB ports support music playback from these compatible USB devices formatted in FAT 32 or NTFS. Not only can USB audio be played back on the Node 2i, but can also be wirelessly distributed to the rest of your Bluesound components throughout your home for multiroom playback.
Note: The USB port is not compatible with the direct connection of an Apple iOS or Android device.
Optical/Analog Input: The Vault 2i is fitted with a3.5mm Aux input which can be used as analog or digital connection. As an analog input, simply connect a stereo minijack audio cable from your analog source to the Vault 2i's Aux input. As a digital input, use the included 3.5mm-to-Optical adapter along with an optical digital cable (sold separately) to connect your digital source to the Vault 2i's Aux input. As an analog or digital input, the unit's Aux input supports 2ch PCM audio (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Audio from the Optical/Analog Aux input can be played back at the Vault 2i and wirelessly distributed to other Bluesound components in your home for multiroom playback.
BluOS Controller App: The free BluOS Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.3-up, Android OS 4.1-up, Windows PC (XP-up), and Mac OS X 10.7-up) turns your mobile device or computer into a full-featured wireless remote control for the Vault 2i and the BluOS wireless multiroom audio system. The BluOS Controller app on your compatible device uses your home's WiFi network to connect with Bluesound devices, so you can play all the music you love anywhere in your home for a wireless multiroom music experience. Get on-demand access to your music libraries on your home network, stream live Internet radio from almost any place in the world, or listen to one of the many music services available on Bluesound, all from the palm of your hand with the easy-to-use BluOS Controller app.
- Multiroom Audio: Play a different song at the same time in different rooms, or group all your BluOS enabled devices together and listen to your favorite music in perfect sync throughout your home.
- Now Playing Screen: Control your music and adjust the volume in any room, get rich album artwork and detailed artist info, right from the Now Playing screen. Even check what quality you are streaming at to ensure the best possible listening experience.
- Individual Songs & Playlists: Tap a song and have it play instantly, or create and edit playlists on the fly by simply adding songs or entire albums to the play queue. Playlists can then be saved inside the app and listened to at any time.
Alexa Compatible (via Future Firmware Update): The Vault 2i will support Amazon Alexa and voice control through a future firmware update later this year. Using an Amazon Alexa enabled device (like the Amazon Echo, sold separately), you can use your voice to explore music services, select presets, adjust volume levels, switch up songs in different rooms, or even group your Bluesound components together and play your music in perfect sync throughout the house. Simply connect your Amazon Alexa device to the Bluesound system through the Amazon Alexa app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Soft-Touch Controls: The Vault 2i offers soft-touch, top-panel controls to operate basic playback functions like Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track.
IR Input: An infrared extender (sold separately) can be connected the Vault 2i's IR input (3.5mm) to allow for programmable learning remotes to control volume and source selection when the Vault 2i is stored in a way that the front-panel IR sensor is not visible.
Custom Integration: Bluesound offers seamless integration with some of today's most innovative 3rd-party smart-home control systems such as Control4, Crestron, Lutron, ELAN, RTI, and more.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.