Sennheiser MKE 400
Small shotgun microphone
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Sennheiser MKE 400 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
A shotgun microphone is one those items you'll need on almost any shoot. When you have to get the sound of crunching shoulder pads from the side of the field, the shotgun mic will be your friend. No place to clip or hide a lavalier mic on your competition-swimmer subject at the outdoor pool? Try the Sennheiser MKE 400 on long-sensitivity mode and hear her voice come into focus as if you were standing next to her. And try it mounted on a boom pole out of frame for solid audio capture of a "walk and talk" scene.
The MKE 400 has a super-cardioid pickup pattern, for rejection of sounds outside the pointing axis of the mic. It has a wired, 3.5mm minijack cable for connection to similarly-equipped gear, and it will run up to 300 hours on just one "AAA" battery. It has shock mounting built-in, for rejection of handling noise, and its switchable sensitivity means it can handle short- and long-distance recording. A foam wind shield helps guard against wind noise. Designed to mount on your camcorder's lighting shoe.
- compatible with camcorders and mixers with a 3.5mm unbalanced minijack input
- up to 300 hours of operation from a single "AAA" battery
- super-cardioid pattern rejects off-axis noise and lets you focus on sounds from your on-screen subject
- built-in shock-mount prevents vibrations from muddying the sound
- foam wind shield reduces noise when recording outdoors
- switchable sensitivity for long and short distances
- 5"L x 1-1/16"W x 5/16"H
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Shotgun microphone for DSLR and camcorder with attached 8" coiled cable (3.5mm miniplug terminal)
- 1 "AAA" battery
- Instructions for use
The Sennheiser MKE 400 is a great companion to our new Canon XA25 Camcorder. We highly recommend this unit for enhanced audio. Good reach, nice pickup pattern. Clean audio in a compact unit. Rich K
Blue, Tacoma, WA
Sennheiser MKE 400 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Sennheiser MKE 400 is a small shotgun microphone designed for use with DSLRs and camcorders with an accessory shoe and external microphone input. It is optimized for video recordings with a super-cardioid pick-up pattern and maximum side noise rejection. The microphone's frequency response is 40 Hz to 20 kHz.
Construction: The MKE 400 is approximately 5" long with a rugged, all-metal housing, and a removable foam windscreen. It has an 8" coiled cable attached at the rear with a 3.5mm miniplug terminal. The lightweight microphone weighs only 2.1 ounces.
Mounting: The microphone is designed to be used on cameras and camcorders with a standard accessory shoe. On the bottom of the mount is a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread to allow you to mount the microphone on a tripod or a side-mount accessory bracket. The shoe mount doubles as a shock-mount to reject contact noise from the camera/camcorder.
Controls: There are two switches on the left side--Volume and On/Off Switch:
- 2-way Volume Switch: Normal Sensitivity (-): for normal or very loud sound sources and cameras/camcorders with high input sensitivity; High Sensitivity (+): for extremely quiet or very distant sound sources and camera/camcorders with low input sensitivity
- 3-way On/Off Switch: Off / On (linear frequency response) / On (low-cut filter is activated for minimizing wind noise.
Power Requirements: The MKE 400 is powered by a single "AAA" battery. A new alkaline "AAA" battery provides approximately 300 hours of operating time. An LED on the side of the microphone indicates when the battery power is depleted.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield LabsWhat are the Labs?
Why did you buy this?
Compatible with camera [ Perry Sep 23, 2018 ]
This is the item our Pastor wanted. We are buying this for use in our church. [ Anne Mar 28, 2018 ]