Philips Hue White A19 Starter Kit
Kit includes two smart LED light bulbs and a wireless bridge
Our take on the Philips Hue White A19 Starter Kit by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Create a cozy, natural lighting environment with Philips Hue smart light bulbs.
Enjoy smart lighting throughout your home
The Philips Hue white light kit is a fun, affordable way to enjoy smart lighting in your house. The included LED bulbs replace standard incandescent or CFLs, and give you control from your phone or tablet. Mix and match the white bulbs along with other Philips Hue smart lighting products to customize your personal lighting system.
How it works
Setup is very simple. Connect the bridge to your wireless router using the supplied Ethernet cable, and plug it into the wall. Then replace your existing bulbs with Hue bulbs, and you're up and running! Up to 50 bulbs can be synced together or independently controlled. Control your system with the free Philips Hue app (Apple®, Android™).
- kit includes two 2nd-generation A19 Hue smart LED light bulbs and a wireless bridge
- remotely control your bulbs through the free Philips Hue app for Apple® and Android™
- compatible with:
- system is expandable up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
Philips Hue Light bulbs:
- standard A19 bulbs size fits most common light fixtures
- uses your existing light fixtures — simply replace the bulbs
- produces high-quality white light
- adjustable brightness up to 800 lumens
- color temperature: 2700K (soft white)
- instant-on means no waiting for bulb to warm up
- rated at 9.5 watts (roughly equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb)
- rated for approximately 25,000 hours of use
- connects to your router for wireless control of your smart lighting system
- controlled by the Philips Hue app for Apple® and Android™
- controls up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
- wireless protocol: Zigbee Light Link
- enables voice control of your home automation setup via Siri
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- 3-1/2"W x 3-1/2"W x 1"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Extremely easy setup. Lights work as advertised. After setting the hue routine for leaving and returning home, its great to show up at the house and the lights are already on for you without having to do anything.
Anonymous, Rockwall, TX
Philips Hue White A19 Starter Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Philips Hue White A19 Starter Kit (#455287) consists of two Wi-Fi controllable LED white bulbs and a wireless bridge. With these items, and the free Philips Hue app, you can control the lights wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. It is called Personal Wireless Lighting, and it allows you to set up light schedules, and control the lights when you're away from home. With optional color ambience bulbs and other accessories, you can even change the color of the lights to match your mood. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge.
Apple HomeKit Compatible: This Starter Kit is compatible with Apple HomeKit technology, which allows you to control your lights using your Apple iOS device, including voice control through Siri. The kit includes the new square-shaped Hue bridge (version 2.0), which supports the hardware authentication required for Apple HomeKit. (The round-shaped bridge from the original Starter kit #426353 is not compatible with HomeKit technology.)
Light Bulbs: The two LED white bulbs included in this Starter Kit can be used in most standard light sockets (Edison screw base). They have an A19 form factor (or the metric equivalent A60) and are 2.4" at widest point and 4.3" tall. The bulbs are rated at 9.5 watts and 800 lumens, and have an estimated nominal lifetime of 25,000 hours and 50,000 switch cycles. Inside the bulb is a wireless interface that allows you to dim or brighten the light output. The internal software is automatically upgradable when connected to the Philips Hue bridge. The bulbs have a beam angle of 180° (±20°), and, unlike compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, these LED bulbs are "instant on."
Bridge: The Hue Bridge 2.0 is the heart of the Philips Hue system, and can be wall-mounted or placed on a desktop. It connects to your router via the included Ethernet cable, and communicates wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet and the Hue lighting products. It operates on the 2.4GHz band (2400-2483.5 MHz), and Zigbee Light link protocol, and comes with a AC adapter with a 5V 1000mA DC output. Dimensions: Width 3.547", Height 3.547", Depth 1.044".
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet. Three types of Philips Hue lights are available: White (this starter kit), White Ambiance, and White and Color Ambiance. Through the Hue app, and with the right Hue products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps may be required.)
App Compatibility: The Philips Hue app is available from the Apple App Store, and can be used with Apple devices running iOS 8.0 or later. For HomeKit compatibility, iOS 9.0 is required. The app is also available from Google Play for Android devices running OS 2.3 and up. It has been tested on the following devices:
- iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus
- iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation
- iPad Air 1, 2
- iPad Mini 1, 2, 3
- iPod touch 5th generation
- Galaxy S2, S3, S4, S5
- Google Nexus 5, Motorola Nexus 6, Google Nexus 7
- Note, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4
- OnePlus One
- HTC One
- Sony Xperia Z3
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.