NAD C 268
Stereo power amplifier
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the NAD C 268 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A flexible amplifier that puts music first
The C 268 is packed with what NAD calls "music-first" features: accurate channel balance, proper input and output impedance characteristics, and low-noise circuits all combine to give you a top-notch listening experience.
In designing the C 268 stereo amplifier, the engineers at NAD chose the most essential features based on their knowledge of how amplifiers are commonly used. Its line inputs, both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA, can accommodate all kinds of analog source components. This amp also includes a trim control, which is useful for matching with other components, or bi-amping speakers. A stereo preamp output lets you connect a separate amplifier or powered subwoofer, and a bridge switch turns the C 268 into a powerful monoblock amp. An auto-sense feature with selectable threshold is perfect for automating complex systems, or for hiding the C 268 in a cabinet.
The C 268 uses an advanced Class D amplifier design for consistent performance. Its highly efficient power supply provides a noise-free foundation, generating clean power with negligible distortion, to faithfully reproduce the energy and excitement of all your favorite music.
- 80 watts x 2 channels into 8 or 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.003% THD
- 300 watts x 1 channel into 8 or 4 ohms in bridge mode
- 4-ohm stable for use with a wide range of speakers
- Class D Asymmetrical PowerDrive amplifier design
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- stereo RCA preamp output for connecting a separate amplifier or powered subwoofer
- binding post speaker connectors
- input select switch
- 12-volt in/out triggers
- detachable power cord
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- 17-3/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 15-3/8"D
- weight: 16.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty Card
Easy set up and wonderful sound stage amp...
Waldron, Arendtsville, PA
NAD C 268 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||80|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||80|
|Bridged Power per Channel||300 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||1|
Hybrid Digital Amplification: NAD has moved away from the old-fashioned power-hungry linear power supplies and Class AB output stages that waste nearly half of the energy consumed and produce heat rather than sound. Instead, NAD has developed even better performing circuits based on switch mode power supplies and Class D output stages. Once thought to be inferior to traditional topologies, this new Hybrid Digital Amplifier design is very linear over a wide bandwidth and provides consistent performance into all speaker loads, providing a dramatic advancement over previous Class AB and Class D amplifier designs.
- Customized Hypex UcD Output Stage: The C 268 stereo power amplifier uses a customized version of the proven Hypex UcD output stage operating in a fully balanced bridge configuration. This allows for massive power with nearly un-measurable distortion and noise in the audible range. Every detail of this design has been carefully planned and perfectly executed to deliver every last drop of performance.
- PowerDrive Technology: The power supply of the C 268 is capable of nearly 200 watts continuously and over 500 watts instantaneously, allowing for short term musical transients. NAD's innovative asymmetrical PowerDrive fully utilizes every last watt available with its vast reserves of dynamic power available to accurately reproduce the most demanding music without distortion or compression. It can also operate with any AC mains voltage from 100V to 240V, and provides pure DC power to all the various stages of the C 268. This highly efficient supply also provides near perfect regulation of voltage across a wide range of conditions and provides a solid noise-free foundation for the amplifying stages.
Full Disclosure Power (FDP): NAD uses Full Disclosure Power (FDP), the most demanding criterion for performance measurement. FDP specifies distortion under the most extreme conditions of low impedance loads and frequency extremes, rather than the simple and easy 1kHz @ 8 ohms test quoted by many of other manufactures. NAD uses this stricter performance criterion because it more closely matches the demands of real music and real loudspeakers. Maintaining specified distortion at 4/8Ω and at 20-20kHz is a much more difficult achievement. The benefit of NAD's Full Disclosure Power is the total elimination of audible distortion at any listening level. This provides pinpoint imaging and realism with music and movies alike.
- Continuous Power:
- Stereo: 80 watts x 2-channel (@ 20-20kHz, into 4Ω or 8Ω, with 0.03% THD, both channels driven)
- Bridged: 300 watts x 1-channel (@ 20-20kHz, into 4Ω or 8Ω, with 0.03% THD, one channel driven)
- IHF Dynamic Power:
- Stereo: 120W into 8Ω / 200W into 4Ω / 250W into 2Ω (@ 1kHz with 1% THD)
- Bridged: 500W into 8Ω / 560W into 4Ω (@ 1kHz with 1% THD).
Stereo or Bridged Mode: The NAD C 268 can be used as a two channel amplifier in Stereo mode or a mono channel amplifier in Bridged mode. Low impedance speakers (under 8 ohms) are not recommended when using Bridge Mode as these may cause the amplifier's thermal cut-out to operate if played at high levels.
Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs: The NAD C 268 stereo power amplifier is equipped with balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs. It can accommodate all kinds of analog source components by offering ideal input impedance traits with linear ultra-low-noise buffer amplifiers to prevent any sonic degradation that may be caused by the source device's output impedance. The balanced XLR connectors use this configuration - Pin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Positive (signal live), and Pin 3: Negative (signal return).
Binding Post Speaker Outputs: The speaker output terminals consist of four binding posts to connect a single pair of loudspeakers in Stereo mode or only one speaker in Bridged mode. The amplifier supports 4Ω to 8Ω speakers in Stereo mode and only 8Ω speakers in Bridged mode. These binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). You'll need to remove the plastic inserts within the binding-post terminals to connect banana plugs.
Stereo RCA Line Output: The stereo RCA line output allows "daisy-chaining", so more than one amplifier can be used to add speakers to the same channel.
Controls: The NAD C 268 stereo power amplifier features Input Select switch, Input Level knob, and Auto Sense Level switch on the rear-panel.
- Input Select: Use the Input Select switch to change the C 268 to a "Fixed" or "Variable" output. With a "Fixed" output, the C 268's audio output level is control by an external preamplifier. With a "Variable" output, the C 268's audio output level can be adjusted using the Input Level control knob on back of the power amp.
- Input Level: With the Input Select switch set to "Variable", the Input Level control knob can be used to adjust the audio output level of the C 268.
- Auto Sense Level: The Auto Sense feature instantaneously turn the C 268 to "Operating" mode from "Standby" mode if it senses a specific input signal level applied to either the balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA inputs. There are three Auto Sense levels - Low (0.85mV), Mid (1.7mV), and High (3.7mV).
12V Trigger In/Out: The NAD C 268 is outfitted with a 12V Trigger Input and Output, each consisting of a female 3.5mm jack. The 12V Trigger Input allows the C 268 to be switched On remotely from Standby mode by a preamplifier with a 12V Trigger Output. The 12V Trigger Output switches on a connected external device that features a 12V Trigger input when the C 268 is powered on.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Specs met my criteria. Good price point for rated performance. [ Thomas Sep 19, 2018 ]