Arlo Pro 2 Home Security Camera System
2 HD, 100% wire-free indoor/outdoor rechargeable cameras with night vision and hub (VMS4230P)
Our take on the Arlo Pro 2 Home Security Camera System by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A free app lets the Arlo Pro 2 system show multiple camera views on your smartphone or tablet.
Wireless home surveillance
The Arlo Pro 2 security system by NETGEAR adds vital security options to the Arlo system. It records in 1080p resolution, and can record when it detects motion or in specific zones.
This package includes two wire-free HD cameras, but you can expand your system with add-on cameras. The Pro-series hub has a fast processor to keep your video clear and smooth. Each camera has a wide 130-degree field of view. And the hub includes a 100+ dB siren that can be triggered automatically by motion, or manually.
Easy installation and notifications
The Arlo Pro comes with everything you'll need to install and position the included 100% wire-free cameras. You get two wall anchors, mounting screws, and magnetic brackets, so you can install your system right away.
Each one has a powerful rechargeable battery so you can go completely wireless. You can set up email alerts that will notify you when any of the cameras detects motion, and store footage in the cloud for later review. You'll get clear HD video, and the camera's LED night vision will even let you see up to 25 feet away in low light.
Go live with the Arlo app
Download the free Arlo app for your Apple® or Android™ device, and you'll have access to a live stream from your surveillance system, so you can reassure yourself when you're at work or far from home on holiday. Control when each camera is active with the scheduler, set modes and rules to govern when your camera is on and recording, and catalog stills and video by date and time in the library.
Secure cloud storage
When you tell your camera to record an event, HD video is automatically saved to the cloud. Arlo's free Basic level of storage keeps up to 1 gigabyte of archived footage for one week before deleting, with more robust packages available for a monthly fee. The Arlo storage system uses advanced 128-bit data encryption and advanced security protocols from NETGEAR to keep your data safe.
- wireless security system with internet hub and 2 rechargeable cameras
- cameras capture HD video in 1080p resolution
- stay informed with automatic email alerts and push notifications
- two-way audio lets you have a conversation even when you're far away
- compatible with:
- free app lets you remotely monitor and control your Arlo system
- Basic cloud storage option stores up to 1GB of video for up to 7 days free of charge
- upgraded storage packages available for a fee
- 2 versatile magnetic mounts included
- 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless signal
- 900Mhz internal processor
- memory: 128MB flash, 128MB RAM
- internal antenna
- 100dB Smart Siren can be triggered manually or by motion or to frighten intruders
- connects directly to Wi-Fi® router
- 6-15/16"W x 5"H x 2-5/16"D
- weight: 11.1 oz.
- full-color CMOS image sensor
- rated for indoor/outdoor use
- operating temp. range -4 to 113° F
- 130° wide-angle field of view
- resolution: configurable up to 1920 x 1080 pixels
- motion and sound detection with adjustable sensitivity
- LED night vision illuminates up to 25 feet away
- powered by 2440mAh rechargeable battery (included)
- 1-15/16"W x 2-13/16"H x 3-1/8"D
- weight: 8.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Arlo Pro Wi-Fi HD cameras (VMC4030P)
- Base Station (VMB4000)
- Two A-1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries (7.2V 2440mAh 17.57Wh)
- AC adapter with attached 6' DC power cord (DC output: 12V 1.5A)
- 2 Magnetic dome-shaped camera mounts
- 2 Self-tapping screws (3/4" length)
- 2 Plastic wall anchors
- 79" Micro USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a Micro-B USB on other end)
- 78" Ethernet cable (RJ-45 plugs on both ends)
- AC adapter with USB output port (DC output: 5V 1.8A or 9V 1.1A)
- Quick Start Guide
- Window sticker (2-sided)
- Safety Rules for Arlo Pro Rechargeable Batteries
Arlo Pro 2 Home Security Camera System Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Security Camera System: The NETGEAR Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Security Camera System (VMS4230P-100NAS) includes an indoor base station with built-in Wi-Fi and two 100% wireless HD indoor/outdoor cameras with motion detection. Additional cameras can easily be added for watching other areas of your home or business. You can use the Arlo app on your Apple iOS or Android device to wirelessly keep an eye on things while you are away. Arlo Pro 2 also works with Amazon Alexa, the Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Stringify.
Applications: You can use the Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Security Camera System to watch over an empty home or business, to monitor your driveway or the entrance to your home, or to safeguard any space in or around the house. The Arlo Pro 2 security system can also keep an eye on the kids after school, pets home alone, sleeping babies, and elderly family members.
Camera Features: The Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Security Camera features a full-color CMOS image sensor with a video resolution of up to 1920 x 1080p with H.264 compression. It has a wide-angle lens with a 130° horizontal field of view, and a fixed focus range of 2' to infinity. With its built-in microphone and speaker, you can remotely carry on a two-way conversation with someone at the camera location. It has built-in infrared 850nm LEDs that illuminate up to 25 feet in very low light. The Arlo Pro 2 cameras automatically detect movement, send alerts to the Arlo app on your mobile smartphone or tablet, and start recording video. This indoor/outdoor camera can be used in temperatures from -4° to 113°F, and carries an IP65 weatherproof certification.
Power Requirements: Each camera can be used wire-free, powered by the supplied battery, or while plugged into an AC power outlet. The 7.2-volt, 2440mAh rechargeable battery (supplied) can be charged in the camera when they are connected to the included power adapter via the included Micro USB cable. Charging time is approximately 2.5 hours. When the battery charge is low (less than 15%), an amber LED near the lens will flash once per minute. Battery life is affected by environmental factors (mounting location) and by video quality settings. Typical battery life is approximately 4 to 6 months.
Base Station: The Arlo Pro 2 Base Station serves as the hub of the Arlo security system. It is connected to your router through the included Ethernet cable. Everything the Arlo Pro 2 cameras record is sent to the cloud for secure storage in your library. All of the connected cameras are synched to Base Station via Wi-Fi (802.11n / 2.4GHz) with a range of over 300 feet (line of sight). The Base Station has a built-in siren, which can be triggered by a camera when motion is detected. There are three siren volume settings, the loudest of which is over 100 decibels. The Base Station features two Type A USB ports for plugging in a USB storage device for local recording, if desired.
Arlo App: To monitor your Arlo security system on your smartphone or tablet, you will need the Arlo app. The app is compatible with Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and requires iOS 9.0 or later. It is also compatible with Android devices running OS 4.1 and up. With a Mac or PC, you'll need one of the following browsers: Internet Explorer 10 or above, Firefox 3.5 or above, Safari 3 or above (except on Windows and Linux), or Google Chrome (any version). A high-speed internet connection, with a minimum of 1 Mbps upstream, is recommended.
Arlo Partners: Arlo security cameras are compatible with Amazon Echo (Alexa), Google Assistant, and IFTTT. You can use voice commands to view your Arlo cameras on the Amazon Echo Show or Fire TV, on the Arlo Apple TV app, or on your Chromecast device (using the Google Assistant). Arlo also partners with IFTTT (If This Then That) to make other devices interact when the Arlo Pro 2 camera detects motion. For example, if motion is detected, an IFTTT recipe can automatically turn on your Philips Hue smart lights will turn on.
Simple Setup: To set up the Arlo network camera system, you must connect the base station to your router and the Internet, mount and sync the cameras, and download the free Arlo app on your computer or mobile device. Once the system is set up, you can change settings, view content and view camera streams remotely using the app or web browser client. Arlo Pro 2 can alert you by email notification or through the Arlo app whenever it records a video.
Service Plans: The Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Security Camera System automatically saves each video recorded in an online cloud storage account. How much video your cloud account holds and how long it stores each video depends on your subscription plan:
- Basic (Free): The free Basic subscription plan includes 7 days of cloud recordings (up to 1 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 7-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 1 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 1 GB storage limit within 7 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. Up to 5 cameras and 1 base station can be connected. 90 Day technical support is offered for the Basic plan.
- Premier ($9.99/mo. or $99/yr.): The Premier plan includes 30 days of cloud recordings (up to 10 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 30-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 10 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 10 GB storage limit within 30 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. In addition, Premier plan subscribers can connect up to 10 cameras to the cloud. Unlimited technical support is included with this plan.
- Elite ($14.99/mo. or $149/yr.): The Elite plan includes 60 days of cloud recordings (up to 100 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 60-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 100 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 100 GB storage limit within 60 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. Elite plan subscribers can also connect up to 15 cameras and 3 base stations. Unlimited technical support is included with this plan.
- 24/7 Continuous Video Recording (CVR): A Continuous Video Recording plan can be added to your Arlo Pro 2 System. If you have a CVR plan, your cameras must be plugged into AC power. You can view recordings from any time of the day. If motion or sound is detected during CVR, it will be indicated by an special icon in the video timeline. Rates for CVR are $99 per year (or $9.99 per month) per camera for 14 days of 24/7 recordings, and $199 per year ($19.99 per month) per camera for 30 days of 24/7 CVR recordings.
Note: You can also add friends to your Arlo account. Friends can view live streams from your cameras, record video clips, view, share, favorite and delete clips from your library, and take snapshots. Friends have limited access to some of the settings and features on your Arlo account. You can select which cameras friends can see and what administrative rights are available to them.
Cloud Storage and Security: Recorded video from the security cameras is stored in the Arlo cloud so you can see all the activity the cameras detect at any time. The Arlo system is designed to maintain the highest level of security to keep your videos private and secure in the cloud.
Mounting Options: You can place the wireless network cameras on a shelf or other flat surface, or you can mount them to the supplied magnetic wall brackets. When positioning your Arlo Pro 2 camera, keep these tips in mind:
- Position Mode: Use the Arlo app in Position mode to help aim the camera. Position Mode sends video to the cloud as quickly as possible. This allows you to aim the camera while watching the video feed on your Arlo smartphone app to make near real-time adjustments to the camera's position.
- Field Of View: The Arlo Pro 2 cameras have a 130° viewing angle. Position the cameras so that the space that you want to monitor is within the cameras' field of view.
- Elevate Camera: Mount the Arlo Pro 2 motion-detection cameras at least 7' above the floor and aim them slightly down for the best sensor performance.
- Side-To-Side Traffic: For best results, the path of expected motion should cross the cameras' field-of-view and not head directly into or away from the camera. For example, if you want to detect motion near a couch, place the camera to the side of the couch, rather than above it or opposite it. You can use the Motion Detection Test feature to verify if motion can be detected in a camera's current placement.
Dimensions: Dimensions for the Arlo Pro 2 security system's base station and wireless cameras.
- Base Station: 6.88"W x 4.964"H x 2.29"D (w/o cables)
- Wireless Cameras: 1.943"W x 2.777"H x 3.126"D
- Weight: 8.4 ounces (camera w/battery); 11 ounces (base station)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Recommendation from family member that has one [ Wayne Jul 12, 2018 ]