Sennheiser Flex 5000
Wireless TV listening system with headphone jack (in-ear headphones included)
Sennheiser Flex 5000 - Transmitter features three sound presets, plus left and right ear balance control
Sennheiser Flex 5000 - Transmitter connects to your TV and wirelessly sends audio to the handheld receiver
From Sennheiser: Flex 5000 Wireless Headphones
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Sennheiser Flex 5000 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The Sennheiser Flex 5000's wireless receiver docks on the transmitter to charge.
Hear TV sound — wirelessly — through your favorite headphones
In a recent informal survey, we learned that many of our customers like the idea of wireless TV headphones. But not everyone wants to buy new headphones just for watching TV — some are more comfortable using the pair they know and love. Sennheiser's Flex 5000 system lets you choose your own headphones and wirelessly listen to your TV shows, movies, and sports.
How it works, and what's included
Use one of the included cables to connect the Flex 5000's transmitter to your TV or audio system. The transmitter sends an audio signal wirelessly to the handheld receiver. This receiver has a 3.5mm minijack, so you can plug in your favorite pair of wired headphones (or use the included Sennheiser earbuds).
Now you can clip the receiver to your sweats or PJs to watch TV late at night, and even turn it up loud without disturbing others. Two thumb-sized buttons on the receiver control the volume. A full charge of the receiver gives you up to 12 hours of wireless use.
Makes speech easier to understand
What else did we learn from the survey I mentioned? The number one complaint about TV sound is this: dialogue is just too hard to hear and understand. On the side of wireless receiver, you'll find a "Speech Intelligibility" button. This feature highlights voices while minimizing background noises and distractions.
You can also choose from three presets on the transmitter to further suit your TV and music listening preference. Use the balance control to fine-tune the amount of volume in the left or right ear.
- transmits sound wirelessly from a TV or audio system to wireless receiver
- wireless receiver includes a headphone minijack for connecting your choice of headphones
- in-ear headphones included (Sennheiser MX 475 earbuds)
Wireless Audio Transmitter:
- RF wireless transmitter range: up to 100 feet
- connects to TV via one of its included cables:
- 59" optical digital cable
- 59" stereo mini cable
- three sound profile presets
- left and right ear balance control
- includes multi-country AC adapter for power
- docking station for charging the wireless receiver
- can send audio to as many as four different receivers (separate RR Flex receivers required)
Wireless Audio Receiver:
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 12 hours of operation
- large volume buttons
- "Speech Intelligibility" button for boosting dialogue
- belt/pocket clip included
- weight: 1.16 ounces
- minimum headphone impedance: 16 ohms
- radio frequency: 2.4-2.48 GHz
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- RR Flex Wireless clip-on receiver
- MX 475 in-ear headphones with attached 51" cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- TR 5000 Docking station
- AC adapter with attached 58" DC output cord (DC output: 5V 1A)
- 4 AC plug adapters (No Amer / Euro / UK / Australia)
- 59" Optical digital cable
- 64" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug on one side and right-angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Guide
- Compliance Information
- Safety Guide
The flex 5000 has excellent volume range for hearing assistance. Easy to setup and use. I am buying another one for my mom.
Mike, Mission Viejo, CA
Sennheiser Flex 5000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Sennheiser Flex 5000 Digital Wireless TV headphones enhance your TV watching experience by providing clear, intelligible audio of your favorite programs. The Flex 5000 includes transmitter/charger (TR 5000), a clip-on wireless receiver (RR Flex), in-ear headphones, and digital and analog connecting cables.
RR Flex: The RR Flex clip-on wireless receiver has a 3.5mm audio output for connecting the supplied MX 475 in-ear headphones, or your own favorite headphones for listening to your audio source. The connected headphones must have a minimum impedance of 16Ω. With a range of up to 100 feet, the receiver allows you to move around freely while you watch TV. It has a built-in Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery (3.7V, 350mAh) with a typical operating time of up to 12 hours. The RR Flex features an on-board volume control and Speech Intelligibility button.
TR 5000: The TR 5000 transmitter fully charges the RR Flex in approximately 3 hours. A 30-minute partial charge gives you 2 hours of operating time. You can connect an audio source, such as your TV or home stereo, using the supplied optical digital (Toslink) or analog cables (3.5mm). The included AC adapter has four interchangeable power plug adapters (North America, Europe, Great Britain, and Australia), allowing you to use the Flex 5000 system most anywhere in the world. The TR 5000 lets you check the charging status of a docked receiver, as well as the remaining charge of a paired receiver when it is turned on.
Settings: The Flex 5000 offers several settings for tailoring your listening experience to your individual tastes or needs:
- Hearing Profiles: The hearing profiles change the sound
of the audio signal to improve speech intelligibility by using compression,
and boosting/attenuating certain frequencies. Using the keypad on the
transmitter, you can choose from the following profiles:
- Hearing Profile 1: Low frequency tones are slightly boosted to provide a warm sound. High frequency sounds are reduced to make them less piercing.
- Hearing Profile 2: High frequencies are strongly boosted to give you a crystal-clear sound.
- Hearing Profile 3: Low frequencies are lowered to prevent them from overpowering the high frequencies.
- Speech Intelligibility Function: The Speech Intelligibility function automatically detects and reduces unwanted background noise to make speech easier to understand. The Speech Intelligibility button is located on the headset. A status LED on the transmitter will glow blue when the function is activated. Speech Intelligibility can be used in combination of any of the three Hearing Profiles.
- Balance: You can adjust the left/right balance of the headset using the L and R buttons on the transmitter.
Pairing Multiple Receivers: Up to four receivers can be simultaneously paired to the transmitter. When more than one receiver is paired, you can not adjust the balance, nor will the remaining charge status and hearing profile be displayed on the transmitter.
Flex 5000 System:
- Carrier Frequency: 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz
- Modulation: 8-FSK Digital
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
- Analog Input: typ. 85 dBA at 1 Vrms
- Digital Input: > 90 dBA
- RF Output: Max 10 dBm
- Audio Latency: < 60 ms
- Transmission Range: Up to 100 feet (line of sight)
RR Flex Receiver:
- Connection: 3.5mm stereo jack for headphones (min. 16Ω) or induction loop for hearing aids
- Output Voltage: 900mV at 32Ω
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz to 16 kHz
- Battery: Operating Time: up to 12 hours; Charging Time: up to 3 hours (Fast Charge: 30 minutes for 2 hours operating)
- Dimensions: Width 1.153" Height 3.424" Depth 0.955"
- Weight: 1.2 ounces
TR 5000 Transmitter:
- Digital Input:
- Optical (Toslink):
- Supported Data Stream: PCM 32kHz to 96kHz / 16 to 24-bit
- Analog Input: 3.5mm stereo
- Digital Input:
- Dimensions: Width 1.95" Height 1.63" Depth 10.604"
- Weight: 8.2 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I like the flexibility of using my on headsets [ Dan Nov 09, 2018 ]
quality of the sound [ Tim Aug 26, 2018 ]
My partner's hearing is worse than mine, and we have different "loudness" needs on the tv. So - trying to solve the problem amicably. Reviews on this product are very promising! [ Judy Aug 12, 2018 ]
So my wife won't yell at me for having the TV too loud [ Monty Aug 02, 2018 ]
Voice clarity for hearing impaired 84 year old women. Able to use ear buds or headphones. Optical input for newer TVs (No RCA converter need). Simple large volume controls on receiver. Rechargeable battery. Sennheiser makes quality products. [ Steve Jul 28, 2018 ]
Possible to use with existing headphones on treadmill, recliner, bed etc [ G Thomas Jul 24, 2018 ]
TV volume always leads to an argument. hopefully, this device will solve the problem of volume level for more than one listener. [ Sandra Jun 11, 2018 ]
Compatibility with optical audio; great reviews [ Vaughn Jun 10, 2018 ]
the high rating & ease of use [ Marilyn Mar 30, 2018 ]
Have recommendations that sennheiser is very good. [ Margaret Mar 13, 2018 ]
Second one, my wife and I love these. The second one is for our bedroom. [ Jim Jan 31, 2018 ]
MOBILITY OF PRODUCT [ R Dec 04, 2017 ]
Ability to use my own headphones. [ JACOB Nov 08, 2017 ]
Seems like a more flexible system than those that come with the big over the ear headphones. Bought this for my mom so she can use earbuds or a big headphone on her head based on her preference. [ Samir Oct 06, 2017 ]
This unit takes up a lot less space than the Sennheiser RS175 that we have and it works with any wired headset. [ Anna Sep 28, 2017 ]
When is about audio, Sennheiser is my #1 option. [ JOHN Aug 23, 2017 ]
To improve sound quality in a high ceiling room where there is a fair amount of reverberation. [ Richard May 25, 2017 ]
Good reviews on earlier Sennheiser products at Crutchfield makes us hopeful this new technology will offer excellent quality with even greater convenience. Crutchfield's 60 day guarantee closed the deal! [ stephen Apr 03, 2017 ]
2 questions already asked
Sorry I don't know .... [ Sgt bob Jun 27, 2018 ]
The Sennheiser unit IS wireless so the signal strength is all your dealing with so if the headphones in question would be dependant on it own pwer and how amplification is on the headset. [ PAUL A Jun 26, 2018 ]
Wish I could help. This was a gift, so I'm not using this myself. I can say that my daughter (adult age) loves it and says the Sennheiser is much better than the previous wireless system she used. [ MICHAEL H Jun 25, 2018 ]
yes easily [ MERLYN Jun 24, 2018 ]
I use a set of Sony Walkman portable radio headphones because of their weight and because they have wonderful quality for the size. This unit more then drives the Sony. I have not used the ones that came with the unit, the full headset nor the ear-pods. Hope this helps. Sorry, I don't have any additional comparison. I do love the Flex 5000 and I think it is well worth the dough. [ j.r. (rick) Jun 24, 2018 ]
I have mine connected to my receiver and it works great. [ DEAN Nov 17, 2017 ]
I bought my Flex 5000 4 months ago and have not been able to use it because of this very same question. Unfortunately no one at Crutchfield was able to help with this despite 2 or 3 calls. I'm going to have to hire a custom installer person to hook this thing up and it's going to cost $300-$400 to do it. I like Sennheiser products very much. However, I have a custom installed system and I have not been able to figure out how to install the Flex 5000 myself. Not the smartest purchase I ever made!! [ James Nov 16, 2017 ]
I connected mine to my Sony T.V. Optical out . Works great. [ LEONARD E Nov 16, 2017 ]
I do not believe there's an optical out on that receiver if there is the answer is yes however what you can do is use the headphone jack in front of the receiver and use that as the output into the flex 5000. [ Joseph Nov 16, 2017 ]