Digital lavalier wireless microphone system
Our take on the Audio-Technica ATW-901A/L by Crutchfield's Bob Bihlmayer
Audio-Technica has been building wireless microphone systems since 1986, so they've really become experts on the subject. And they put all this experience to work in developing their System 9 Series wireless packages. This ATW-901A/L UniPak® package includes the ATW-R900 receiver, the ATW-T901 UniPak® transmitter, and a lavalier mic, the perfect setup for a speaker who needs freedom of movement.
The ATW-R900 receiver operates on four user-selectable VHF channels, so you can select the band that works the best in your location. Its advanced dual antenna design gives you extended range, so no more fadeouts or static in the middle of your speech.
The system also includes the ATW-T901 UniPak® transmitter, which runs for eight hours on two AA alkaline batteries and gives you an operating range of up to 200 feet (line of sight).
The ATW-901A/L's lavalier microphone comes with a cable that connects to the UniPak transmitter. This omnidirectional condenser mic is useful for anyone who wants a hands-free performance, from musicians to speakers. If you've ever wished that you didn't have to juggle a microphone while singing or speaking, the ATW-901A/L system delivers professional-grade performance with the onstage freedom of a wireless mic.
- digital wireless microphone system for vocals
- includes ATW-901/L UniPak® receiver, ATW-T901 UniPak® transmitter, and lavalier mic
- operating range: 200' (line of sight)
- operates on four user-selectable VHF channels
- transmitter operates for up to 8 hours on 2 AA batteries
- XLR and 1/4" output connections
- frequency range: 80-13,000 Hz
- transmitter: 2-1/4"W x 4"H x 1"D
- receiver: 7-1/2"W x 1-7/8"H x 5"D
- transmitter: 2-3/4 oz.
- receiver: 12 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- ATW-R900a Receiver
- ATW-T901a Transmitter pack
- Lavalier microphone w/ 57" cord
- Lapel clip
- Plastic screwdriver (installed inside Transmitter pack)
- AC power adapter w/ 59" cord
- Quick-start guide
Overview: Audio-Technica's System 9 AT901AL is a four channel wireless microphone system designed to provide solid performance along with easy setup and clear, natural sound quality. The System 9 consists of a Pro 8HEcW dynamic headset microphone, an ATW-T901a Unipak transmitter, and an ATW-R900a receiver module. The system features four user-switchable VHF channels and an advanced single-channel, non-diversity, dipole antenna design giving it an operating range of approximately 200'.
Microphone: The AT901AL includes a miniature, omnidirectional lavalier mic designed to be attached to a shirt or blouse seam using the included lapel clip. The mic has a removable windscreen approximately 1/2" in diameter and its 57" cable is terminated with a 4-pin locking connector designed to quickly and securely attach the mic to the Transmitter pack.
Unipak Transmitter: The ATW-T901a is a wireless transmitter, with belt-clip, that works in conjunction with the Headset mic. The transmitter can operate on one of four selectable VHF frequencies: 169.505, 170.245, 171.045, and 171.905 MHz which are selected using 2 DIP switches inside the body of the Transmitter. A removable cover gives access to the battery compartment along with the DIP switches. A convenient reference diagram is included inside the mic showing the DIP switch settings for each of the four transmitting frequencies. The battery compartment also houses Trimmer dials for Mic and Instrument level signals, as well as a small plastic "screwdriver" for changing the DIP switches and the Trimmer dials. The top of the Transmitter has a Power/Mute button with an LED indicator. A firm press powers the transmitter on/off while a quick press mutes/un-mutes. The LED will light green when the mic is on and red when muted. The Transmitter runs on 2 AA batteries (not included).
- Front Panel: Included in the front panel is a Channel select button with four LEDs indicating which channel is being used. An RF (radio frequency) LED lights to indicate the presence of a transmitting signal and an AF (audio frequency) Peak LED lights if the microphone signal starts to distort. This LED is used in conjunction with the Level Trim dial on the mic, which should be set just below the point where the AF Peak LED lights. The front panel also houses the two receiving antennas. These can be extended up to 15" with 360˚ of rotation and 180˚ vertical/horizontal travel.
- Rear Panel: The back of the ATW-R900a receiver houses two Output jacks; a male, 3-pin, balanced XLR along with an unbalanced 1/4". A rotary Volume dial adjusts the audio output level on both output jacks, but doesn't affect the AF Peak indicator which is monitoring the input signal level. There's a Squelch Control to adjust the level of the noise-muting circuit. This recessed dial requires a small screw-driver (included inside mic) to adjust if necessary, but is preset at the factory and may not need to be changed. The rear panel also contains the DC Power input socket along with a Cord Hook to provide strain-relief for the receiver's power cord.
- Dynamic Range: >/= 90 dB (A-weighted)
- Operating Frequencies: 169.505, 170.245, 171.045, and 171.905
- Modulation Mode: FM
- Maximum Deviation: +/- 10 kHz
- THD: <1% (at 1 kHz, +/- 10 kHz deviation)
- Frequency Response: 80 Hz to 13 kHz
- Operating Range: Up to 200'
- Operating Temperature Range: 40˚ F (4˚ C) to 110˚ F (43˚ C)
- Receiving System: Non-diversity, single-channel, dual antenna system
- Image Rejection: 50 dB minimum
- RF Sensitivity: 20 dBuV at 60 dB S/N ratio (50 ohms termination)
- Audio Output:
- Balanced XLR: 350 mV (1 kHz modulation, 10 kHz deviation, 100k ohm load)
- Unbalanced 1/4": 700 mV (1 kHz modulation, 10 kHz deviation, 100k ohm load)
- Power Supply: 100-240V AC (50/60 Hz) to 12V DC 0.5A (center positive) switched mode external power supply
- Dimensions: Width - 7.48", Height - 1.77", Depth - 6.22"
- Weight: 12.0 oz.
- Unipak Transmitter:
- RF Output Power: 10 mW
- Input Connection: 4-pin locking connector
- Batteries: 2 AA, 1.5 V (not included)
- Battery Life: Approx. 8 hours
- Dimensions: Width - 2.74", Depth - 0.95", Length - 4.08"
- Antenna Length: 16"
- Net Weight (without batteries): 2.8 oz.
- Type: Lavalier
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Cable: 57", terminated with a 4-pin locking connector
- Accessories: Windscreen
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.