Jamo SB 40
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and Bluetooth® (Light Grey)
Our take on the Jamo SB 40 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Improve TV sound while you punctuate your room's style
Jamo makes audio gear that is both pleasant to the ears and easy on the eyes. So I'm not surprised to see them avoid the icy functionality that can plague sound bar design. Rather than hide in your room's decor, the Jamo SB 40 sound bar sports a handsome tweed grille that adds some "pop" to your TV setup. But it's not all about the looks — the included wireless sub delivers potent bass for your movies and shows.
The bar features four powerful drivers — including horn tweeters made famous by Klipsch. You get thrilling, front-of-the-theater sound, with clear dialogue and exciting effects.
- slim, attractive sound bar and low-profile wireless subwoofer
- delivers 2.1-channel sound
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from smartphones and tablets
- designed to stand out in your room's décor
- covered with furniture-like tweed grill
- two-channel sound bar with four built-in drivers:
- two 3/4" horn-loaded tweeters
- two 2-1/2" oval drivers (mids and lows)
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- virtual surround mode uses digital signal processing to simulate surround-like effects
- voice enhance mode makes dialogue clearer
- night mode curbs louder noises for late-night viewing
- wall-mountable (brackets included)
- 40"W x 3-3/4"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 6.4 lbs.
- syncs wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- 6-1/2" down-firing woofer
- on-board amplifier
- 10-1/2"W x 7-1/4"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 9.6 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 Audio Return Channel-capable HDMI output
- HDCP 2.2 technology for 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDMI cable included
- 1 optical digital audio input
- 1 analog stereo minijack input
- system frequency response 30-15,000 Hz
- remote control included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6' DC cord)
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 58" HDMI cable
- Wall-Mount Template
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
Jamo SB 40 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||0.75" Horn-loaded (2)|
|Woofer||2.5" Oval cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||30-15k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||36|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||24|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4-1/16H x 40-1/16W x 3-1/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||10-9/16H x 7-5/16W x 14-3/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||9.6 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Jamo SB 40 active soundbar speaker utilizes a two-way driver design with two 0.75" horn-loaded soft dome tweeters and dual 2.5" oval woofers for crisp highs, clear vocals, and dynamic sound. The tweeters and woofers are bi-amplified (36 watts total) and utilize a DSP-controlled crossover network. The active soundbar speaker features a Bass Reflex enclosure with side-firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The enclosure is made of ABS and features a heathered cloth grille.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The Jamo SB 40 includes a wireless powered subwoofer with a 6.5" down-firing fiber composite woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing slot-port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 24 watt amplifier. The powered sub delivers deep, punchy bass to your movie and music soundtracks. The sophisticated 2.4 GHz technology automatically connects the soundbar and subwoofer together wirelessly; up to 50'. The wireless powered sub's cabinet features a black wood-grain vinyl finish and rubber feet. The wireless powered subwoofer has independent volume control from the included IR remote control.
Dolby Audio Decoder: The Jamo SB 40 incorporates Dolby Audio for rich, clear, powerful sound. Its built-in Dolby Audio decoder allows the Jamo soundbar system to automatically reproduce detailed, high-output sound in almost any size room no matter what format (including Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2ch PCM) of sound is coming from the TV's output.
Sound Modes & EQ Profiles: The Virtual Surround mode is designed to simulate the effect of a surround sound system. You can choose to turn the Virtual Surround mode off for stereo sound. You can also choose between two EQ profiles (Natural or Dialog Enhanced) in either Virtual Surround or Stereo mode. The Natural EQ profile provides a flat, natural frequency response, while he Dialog Enhanced EQ profile increases dialog volume for enhanced vocal clarity without increasing ambient sounds (only one EQ profile can be active at a time).
HDMI 2.0: The Jamo SB 40's soundbar is outfitted with a HDMI 2.0 input and HDMI 2.0 ARC output. The system's HDMI connectivity supports 4K pass-through and is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
- 4K Video Pass-Through: The SB 40 lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass-through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this system the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported (there is no upscaling).
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by the system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players, 4K Satellite/Cable providers, and 4k online video services.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: The soundbar's HDMI input does not support HDR (High Dynamic Range) video
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Jamo SB 40 offers an optical (toslink) digital input and a stereo minijack (3.5mm) analog input. Using the optical digital connection, the soundbar accepts sound from both the TV and any device (such as a DVD/Blu-ray player or Cable/Satellite receiver) hooked up to the TV. The system supports Dolby Digital & 2ch PCM audio through its optical digital input.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, HDMI inputs, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via stereo RCA or minijack.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Jamo SB 40 features built-in Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming of stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or laptop) to the Jamo soundbar speaker system. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth source device to control playback and to view song/artist information. A simple single button press will pair your device with the SB 40 system. Once paired, the SB 40 speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
Note: The Jamo SB 40 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Remote Control: The SB 40 comes with a credit-card size IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker system. You can also program the Jamo SB 40's Volume Up/Down and Mute functions into your existing TV remote for further ease-of-operation.
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC allows you to easily manage and operate the SB 40 system along with an HDMI-CEC compatible TV, Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, and/or cable box with a single remote; when all components are connected via HDMI.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can simply be positioned on a shelf or stand, below or above your TV. It can also be wall-mounted using its dual keyhole slots and included template (mounting screws not included).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Jamo SB 40
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and Bluetooth®
Slim sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and DTS Virtual:X®
Bluesound Pulse Soundbar
Streaming sound bar with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®