GoPro HERO5 Black
4K Ultra HD action camera with Wi-Fi®
GoPro HERO5 Black - Monitor camera settings, Wi-Fi status, and remaining memory card and battery life from the camera's front display
Item # 770HDHX502 | MFR # CHDHX-502
Price break: -$50.00
$249.99 Earn up to 250 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the GoPro HERO5 Black by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The GoPro HERO5 Black is rugged and compact, so you can take beautiful photos in every amazing place you go.
Talk to your action camera. Tell it what to do.
"GoPro, take a picture." That's all you have to say to get the HERO5 to spring into action. GoPro cameras are legendary for their rugged build and ability to shoot crystal-clear video and stills.
This leap forward in voice control just adds to the HERO5's legacy as a rugged, easy-to-use, all-around action camera. Just imagine — press the large button on top of the camera to start recording your adventure, and then you won't have to touch it again. Just tell the camera what to do, and it will be done.
Incredibly sharp photos and video
There are plenty of bells and whistles on the HERO5, and it's still great at what it's supposed to be great at — taking beautiful pictures and videos. It shoots sharp, bright 4K video at 30 frames per second, and HD video at up to 120 fps, so you can capture big moments in slow-mo. It's a dynamite still camera as well, with a 12MP image sensor that can shoot in single shot, burst, and time lapse modes. For maximum still photo resolution, the camera can shoot in RAW + WDR mode — capturing images with impressive detail that are ready for editing. And you can fine-tune exposure settings from the on-screen menu.
More adventure-ready than ever before
Earlier versions of the HERO camera could be submerged to 33 feet with the aid of an add-on case. The HERO5 has been improved to the point where it can match that performance benchmark straight out of the box. No need to pause and reach for the accessory bag when you're ready to jump into the ocean right now — your camera is ready to go when you are. And the camera's built-in GPS lets you add tags that remind you exactly where you were when you share with friends later.
- 12-megapixel Ultra HD (30 fps) action camera
- shoots 4K video at 30 frames per second
- 2-inch touchscreen lets you preview, review, and edit footage
- waterproof to 33 feet without external housing
- single button powers the camera on and starts recording instantly
- built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® for instant upload to social media
- advanced video stabilization keeps handheld shots smooth and jitter-free
- remotely control the camera with simple voice commands
- single shot, burst, and time lapse photo modes
- tag photos with exact location information using built-in GPS
- shoot still photos in RAW + WDR mode to capture maximum detail
- on-screen exposure control helps you fine-tune the look of each shot
- records stereo audio with advanced noise rejection
- set the camera to auto-upload to the cloud so you don't lose footage
- free GoPro mobile app offers remote control of camera functions
- records to MicroSD card (speed class 10 recommended)
- curved and flat adhesive mounts included
- 1220mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery
Connections and Warranty:
- mini USB connector for charging and file transfer (cable included)
- micro HDMI connector lets you share videos on compatible big-screen TVs
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Action camera
- Mounting frame (installed)
- Mounting buckle (installed)
- Thumb screw (installed)
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.85V 1220mAh 4.7Wh)
- 22" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product + Safety Information booklet
I've been using an older Gopro (Hero3 Silver) for several years now, and really happy to move up to the Hero5 Black. Glad I finally did because it's an awesome camera. My use will mostly be with 1080p, 60fps but it's nice to know that 4k, 30fps is available if needed.
Michael, S Lake Tahoe, CA
GoPro HERO5 Black Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.0|
|Total Pixel Count||12 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||12 MP|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||Not given|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mic Input||Opt w/adapter|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||3.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The GoPro HERO5 Black (CHDHX-502) is an ultra-compact digital action camera, designed to take 4K Ultra HD, Full HD, and HD videos and up to 12-megapixel still photos in extreme situations. The camera comes with The Frame (standard housing for the HERO5 Black), plus flat and curved surface mounts. A full line of GoPro accessories allow you to mount the camera virtually anywhere.
2" LCD Touch Display: The camera has a 2" LCD touch display on the back for framing and viewing your videos and still images. Numerous touch gestures (tap, swipe, press/hold, etc.) let you navigate through the menus.
Optics: The HERO5 Black has a fixed focal length, ultra wide angle glass lens for sharp image quality. You can choose from different fields of view, including SuperView (widest angle), Wide, and Linear (narrowest angle).
Voice Control: You can control the HERO5 Black with your voice using specific commands. The voice commands allow you to perform the following: Start or Stop capturing video, add a HiLight Tag, capture single or burst photos, start or stop time lapse, power on or power off the camera, and change the camera mode (to video, photo, burst, or time lapse). It can also move the video or photos from your most recent session to your phone to create a QuikStory.
Video Resolution: The HERO5 Black is capable of recording 4K Ultra HD, Full HD and HD video in MPEG-4 H.264 format. You can set the Video Format from NTSC to PAL whenever you wish to view video on a TV outside of North America. The following video resolution options are available:
|Video Resolution||Frame Rates |
|Field of View||Screen Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|4K||30 (25)||Wide||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|24 (24)||Wide, SuperView||3840 x 2160||16:9|
|2.7K||60 (50) |
|Wide, Medium, Linear||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|30 (25)||SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear||2704 x 1520||16:9|
|2.7K 4:3||30 (25)||Wide||2704 x 2028||4:3|
|1440p||80 (80) |
|Wide||1920 x 1440||4:3|
|1080p||120 (120)||Wide, Narrow||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|90 (90)||Wide||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|80 (80)||SuperView||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|60 (50) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear, Narrow||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|960p||120 (120)||Wide||1280 x 960||4:3|
|720p||240 (240)||Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|120 (120) |
|SuperView, Wide, Medium, Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|100 (100)||SuperView||1280 x 720||16:9|
|30 (25)||Wide, Medium, Narrow||1280 x 720||16:9|
|480p||240 (240)||Wide||848 x 480||16:9|
Time Lapse Modes: There are three time lapse capture modes:
- Time Lapse Video: Create video from frames captured as specific intervals. Resolutions include 4K, 2.7K 4:3, and 1080p. No audio is recorded with the time lapse video. Available intervals are 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 seconds. You can choose from Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow fields of view.
- Time Lapse Photo: You can capture a series of photos at specified intervals. The series of photos can be converted to a video using GoPro Studio software, if desired. Photos are captured at 12 MP, and the same intervals (as above) are available.
- Night Lapse Photo: Night Lapse Photo captures a series of photos at set intervals when the lighting is poor. Longer shutter speeds allow more light into the camera: Auto (up to 4 sec), 2, 5, 10, 20, or 30 sec. Intervals between frames can be set to Auto, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 seconds and 1, 2, 5, 30 and 60 minutes. Photos are captured at 12 MP.
Looping Video: The Looping Video feature lets you record continuously record video, but save only the footage you want. This helps to conserve space on the memory card while you wait for a special moment to take place. Settings include Max Video, 5 min, 20 min, 60 min, or 120 min. Looping is not available in 4K, 2.7K 4:3 mode, and 480p.
Audio: The camera records the audio with three built-in mono microphones. The camera processes the audio from the three microphones to apply advanced Wind Noise Reduction. Stereo recording is supported when an external 3.5mm microphone is connected with a GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter that plugs into the USB-C port.
Still Images: The HERO5 Black can take still images at 12MP resolution in three capture modes:
- Photo: Photos are captured one at a time, or continuously (up to 30 photos at 4 frames per second). Field of View options include Wide, Medium, Linear, and Narrow. Photos can be captured in RAW or Wide Dynamic Range. You can use Protune to fine tune the settings.
- Night: When shooting photos in dim light or darkness, the Night mode uses long exposures to let in more light. Night mode is not recommended for handheld or mounted shots where camera movement is likely. Shutter speed settings include Auto (up to 2 sec), 2, 5, 10, 20, or 30 seconds.
- Burst: In Burst mode, you can capture up to 30 photos
in 1 second to capture fast-moving activities. You can take still photos in
the following rates:
- 30 photos in 1, 2, 3, or 6 seconds
- 10 photos in 1, 2, or 3 second
- 5 photos in 1 second
- 3 photos in 1 second
Protune: Protune lets you manually change many of the camera's settings, giving you total control over the video and still image quality. With Protune enabled, you can set the following controls:
- White Balance: White balance adjusts the overall color tone of the videos and photos. Available settings include Auto, 3000K, 4000K, 4800K, 5500K, 6000K, 6500K, and Native.
- Color: You can set the color profile to GoPro Color or Flat.
- ISO: The ISO changes the
camera's sensitivity in low-light environments.
- Video: When ISO values are high, images are brighter, but there is greater image noise. Lower ISO values give you darker images, and less noise. When the shutter is set to Auto, the selected ISO is used as the maximum: 6400, 3200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400. If the shutter is not set to Auto you can select the same maximum ISO values as above, or lock in the ISO by tapping the lock icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Photo: Minimum and Maximum ISO settings can be set in the menu. Options include: 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600. Setting the minimum and maximum ISO at the same value locks the ISO setting to that specific value.
- Sharpness: Sharpness settings include High, Medium, and Low.
- Shutter: The Shutter values for Video only are Auto, 1/FPS (frames per second), 1/(2xFPS), 1/(4xFPS), and 1/(8xFPS).
- Exposure Value Compensation: Exposure Value Compensation (EV Comp) adjusts the brightness of the video or photo. You can improve image quality when shooting in high contrast environments. The EV Comp range is -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 0.5 EV steps.
- RAW Audio: In Video capture mode, you can capture a standard MP4 audio track and a separate .wav file. The level of processing applied to the RAW audio can be set to low, medium, and high.
Storage: The HERO5 Black has a side slot for inserting a microSD memory card, including microSDHC and microSDXC cards (up to 128 GB). You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 or UHS-I rating for best performance. No memory is included with the camera.
Wi-Fi + Bluetooth: The camera features built-in 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth wireless technology, to allow you to wirelessly connect to your smartphone or tablet via the GoPro App or the optional GoPro Smart Remote. The Smart Remote allows you to fully control the camera and change settings, or control multiple GoPro cameras from distances up to 600'.
GoPro App: GoPro previously had more than one main app for controlling your camera and downloading and editing your footage. Now you can do it all in the new GoPro app (formerly known as Capture). Not only can you organize and view your photos and videos on your mobile device, the GoPro app will automatically transform them into professional-looking videos. The QuikStories feature automatically copies videos and photos from your most recent session from your camera to your mobile device, and turns them into an edited video, complete with music and special effects. This QuikStory can then be saved, edited, or deleted from your phone if you don't like it. The app also allows you to immediately post your favorite photos and videos directly to your favorite social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The GoPro app lets you control the HERO5 (or other GoPro camera) from your mobile device, including framing the shot with a live preview, or adjusting the settings. The app is compatible with Apple mobile devices running iOS 10.0 or later, as well as Android devices running version 5.0 and up.
GoPro Studio for Desktops: GoPro Studio software can be downloaded to your desktop computers. It is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 in desktop mode. 32-bit systems are not supported.
- Mac: OS X 10.10.x or later
Battery: The HERO5 Black is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.85V, 1220mAh). The battery can be charged by connecting the camera to a computer or other USB charging adapter (5V 1A) using the supplied USB-C cable. Charging a fully-depleted battery takes approximately 2 hours.
Camera Orientation: You can set the camera to a right-side up or upside-down orientation so you can get the perfect angle for your video or still images. The Auto setting (Auto Image Rotation) automatically selects Up or Down orientation, based on the orientation of the camera when recording begins.
HiLight Tagging: The HERO5 Black lets you mark specific moments in your video during recording or playback with HiLight Tags, making the moments easier to locate. Tags can be added using the camera, the GoPro App, or the optional Smart Remote. During playback, the tags are visible in the GoPro App or GoPro software.
Connections: The HERO5 Black has a USB-C port for connecting the camera to a computer, or for charging the battery, via the supplied USB cable. With a special adapter, you can connect an external stereo microphone via the USB port. You can connect the camera to your HDTV through the Micro HDMI (Type D) jack (cable not included).
Dimensions: Width: 2.452", Height: 1.8", Depth: 1.295"
Weight: 3.3 ounces (5.9 ounces with supplied The Frame housing, buckle, and battery)
The Frame: The HERO5 Black comes with The Frame, a standard housing for this camera. The Frame is attached to a GoPro quick-release buckle that lets you adjust the tilt of the camera. The rubber locking plug provides additional security.
Mounting Bases: The package includes a curved-surface and a flat-surface mount, each with industrial-grade adhesive, for mounting the camera to a helmet, vehicle, or other smooth surface.
Optional Mounts: GoPro offers numerous mounts for the HERO5 Black camera, including a head strap and chest harness. Other mounts can attach the camera to a bicycle seat post or handlebar, a roll bar, helmet, tripod, surfboard, or even your dog.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good value today. [ Matthew Sep 22, 2018 ]
Happy with first one like a second one for getting 2 views at the same time [ James May 06, 2018 ]
didnt need the extras of the hero6 [ Ben Mar 12, 2018 ]
I did a side by side comparison on several websites with the 6Black, and didn't see the difference between performance and costs to warrant purchasing that item. In side by side comparisons with other models and manufacturers, the features and rating of the 5Black just walked away from the others. I suppose others may see differently, based on their needs and preferences, but for me, this model seems best. [ George Dec 26, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
More advanced features
The GoPro HERO6 Black offers these features:
4K video at up to 60 frames per second
built-in GPS lets you add telemetry data to your shots
QuikStories sends footage to your phone where it's automatically edited
GP1 chip improves image quality and video stability