Nikon SB-300 Speedlight
Flash for select Nikon cameras
Our take on the Nikon SB-300 Speedlight by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The SB-300 Speedlight works with most hot-shoe equipped Nikon Coolpix and SLR cameras to improve the look of your flash photography. This powerful-yet-compact add-on flash lets you shoot in low-light conditions from far greater distances than your camera's built-in flash will allow. Plus, you get the added ability to direct light where you need it for more professional-looking photos.
The SB-300 tilts to 120 degrees, enabling the soft light that comes from bouncing the flash off of a reflective, color-neutral surface like a ceiling or wall. And if you need to soften shadows with a bit of fill-flash, the SB-300 calculates the exact right amount of light necessary for proper exposure by firing an imperceptible pre-flash to gather information about your subject.
All of the necessary connections are made by simply mounting the flash to your camera's accessory shoe. With advanced automatic exposure control, this easy-to-use flash works together with your Nikon camera to provide just the right illumination for your photos every time.
- i-TTL (intelligent through-the-lens) flash exposure control
- 120-degree tilting flash head
- approximate guide number at ISO 100: 59 ft./18 meters
- compatible with Nikon SLRs and select Nikon Coolpix cameras
- uses 2 "AAA" batteries (not included)
- weight: 3.4 oz. (without batteries)
- 2-5/16"W x 2-3/4"H x 2-3/8"D
- soft carry case included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- SB-300 AF Speedlight flash
- Cloth pouch
- User's Manual
- For Your Safety sheet
- Warranty Programs sheet
Great little travel Speedlight ,fits in your pocket and works on my Nikon D850 just fine.
Richard, Palm Coast, FL
Nikon SB-300 Speedlight Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The simple-to-operate Nikon Speedlight SB-300 flash has been optimized for use with CLS-compatible (Creative Lighting System) digital SLR (Nikon FX/DX format) cameras. It can also be used with Coolpix cameras that support i-TTL flash control. Non-CLS-compatible cameras can use the flash with limited features. The flash unit comes with a soft Polyester storage pouch.
Creative Lighting System (CLS): Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) offers additional flash shooting possibilities with digital cameras by taking advantage of a camera's digital communication capabilities. CLS is available only when the SB-300 is used with compatible Nikon cameras with CLS.
Adjustable Flash Head: The flash head can be tilted up to 120° enabling bounce flash photography. The flash has stops at 0° (facing straight ahead), 60°, 75°, 90°, and 120°.
Batteries: The SB-300 requires 2 "AAA"-sized Alkaline or Ni-MH batteries.
- Guide Number: 18m/59ft (ISO 100)
- Effective Flash Range (i-TTL): 2 ft. to 66 ft. (varies depending on ISO sensitivity, bounce angle, and aperture)
- Bounce Capability: flash head tilts from 0° to +120° with click-stops at 0°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°
- Angle of Illumination: covers the viewing angle of a 27mm lens (FX format) or 18mm lens (DX format)
- Battery Life/Minimum Recycling Time:
- Alkaline: 70 or more uses/approx. 4-second recycling time
- Ni-MH: 110 or more uses/approx. 3.5-second recycling time
- Flash Duration: 1/1650 sec at full power
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Low price and good reviews [ J Nov 30, 2017 ]
It was highly recommended for use with the Nikon camera I was buying! [ Cheyenne Jan 01, 2017 ]
for my Nikon D50, nice simple flash. [ FELIX Jul 14, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
Yes. The SB-300 is compatible with the D7200. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Dec 10, 2016 ] Staff
Yes. The D90 is compatible with the "SB" series of speedlights. I hope that helps! [ Ryan Nov 25, 2015 ] Staff
It works seemlessly with my camera. I have no issues. It is very good value for the performance it delivers. [ WILFRED A May 08, 2015 ]
Thanks, Jeff [ Dave W Oct 20, 2014 ]
I don't show this flash as being compatible with the D80. However, the SB-700 will be compatible. [ Jeff Oct 20, 2014 ] Staff