Powered sound bar with 4K video passthrough, 7.1-channel surround sound, and wireless subwoofer
Our take on the Sony HT-ST9 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Sony HT-ST9 creates a wide soundfield with 10 speakers, including three supertweeters for crisp highs.
Ready for the latest 4K content? So is this sound bar
Let's acknowledge up front that the Sony HT-ST9 is an excellent sound bar for everyday music listening and movie watching. With advanced Dolby® and DTS® audio decoding, you'll hear and see all the detail your Blu-ray movies offer. If you're taking the next step into 4K video, never fear — the HT-ST9 is also HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to a 4K video source. There are three HDMI inputs available, so you can connect your cable box, Blu-ray player, and gaming system via HDMI to the sound bar, then run a single cable to your TV, for a clean setup.
The HT-ST9 is jam-packed with speakers, each doing its part to create a wide soundfield with plenty of depth and clarity. The system features 10 speakers driven by 7 discrete digital amplifiers, including three supertweeters that reproduce subtle details in music and movie soundtracks. The 200-watt wireless subwoofer adds some punch to the low end.
Bluetooth® for wireless music and control
Built-in Bluetooth with NFC makes it easy to get the music started with your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Pair your device with the HT-ST9 for wireless playback with tunes stored on your device or streamed from your favorite music service. Download Sony's SongPal app and use your smartphone as a Bluetooth remote to control the sound bar.
Connect with a pair of compatible Sony wireless headphones so you can keep watching after everyone else has gone to bed.
Google Cast gives you new ways to listen
The Google Cast (now called Chromecast built-in) music feature lets you stream music from any Cast-enabled app on a compatible phone or tablet directly from the cloud to the HT-ST9 for better audio quality. One touch sends the app of your choice to the receiver and lets you use the controls within the app to browse, play, pause, skip tracks and control volume. The list of Cast-enabled apps is growing, and already includes some of the most popular music apps like Pandora®, Google Play Music, and iHeart Radio®.
Once you've connected your favorite app, you can stream music directly from the sound bar to a pair of compatible Sony wireless headphones. Perfect for those times when you need to keep the noise down while gaming, watching TV or listening to music.
Lots of cool tweaks
With so much functionality, it's nice that Sony provides you the option to optimize this system's sound for various applications. Seven listening modes offer sound tailored for music, movies, sports, video games, and even music from portable devices. Having trouble with dialogue? The "voice" feature enhances dialogue clarity by making it stand out in the mix. You can also tweak the bass response of the subwoofer to dial in explosive sound effects, or tame the volume for late night viewing. Best of all, all these tweaks are easily made with the included remote.
- coaxial left, right, and center speakers deliver Hi-Res 7-channel surround sound
- front right/left channels each use a 2-1/2" cone woofer and a 9/16"" dome tweeter
- 5 center 2-5/8" cone woofers and 9/16" center dome tweeter
- 7-channel amplifier rated at 50 watts RMS per channel with 2 channels driven
- large LCD display shows currently selected input and settings options
- display can be dimmed or turned off
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- HDMI connections support 3D/4K video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- HDCP 2.2 protocol allows streaming of copyright protected 4K content
- 1 optical digital audio input
- stereo RCA input
- keyhole slots for mounting on wall (screws not included)
- 44-1/2"W × 4"H × 5-3/8"D
- weight: 15 lbs.
- 200-watt built-in amplifier
- connects to bar wirelessly using included transmitters
- front-firing 7" cone woofer and down-firing 7-7/8" x 11-7/8" passive radiator
- 9-7/8"W x 15-7/8"H x 16-17/8"D
- weight: 35.3 lbs.
- 800 watts system power
- Sony's S-Force® Surround technology for a powerful 7.1 surround effect
- Bluetooth-compatible for wireless music listening from a smartphone, tablet, or computer
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- built-in Dolby® and DTS® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- subwoofer tone and volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- "voice" control raises dialogue levels
- sound modes optimize system for music, movies, or sports
- includes optical digital cable
- remote control and IR blaster
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- Remote control (RMT-AH111U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 2 Feet
- 2 Screws
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Startup Guide (En/Fr)
- SongPal App Setup Instructions
- GoogleCast Download Note
- Updating Software Notice
- Online Product Registration
- Limited Warranty Information (US/CA)
Big sound, works great and easy to set up.
Brett, Galesburg, MI
Sony HT-ST9 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Surround Sound Decoding||7.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||525|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||200|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-7/16H x 44-1/2W x 5-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||15 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-13/16H x 9-13/16W x 16-3/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||35.1 lbs|
Soundbar Speaker System: The Sony HT-ST9 High-Definition Soundbar Speaker System is a two-piece surround sound system that brings simplicity and performance together by pairing a self-amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer to create and exceptional audio experience marked by rich, natural, clear sound that complements your high-definition or ultra high-definition flat-panel TV's incredible picture. The HT-ST9's soundbar system will make any music or movie soundtrack come to life.
- Active Soundbar: The HT-ST9's soundbar speaker incorporates ten drivers powered by seven discrete S-Master digital amplifiers. The ten drivers are divided into front left, front right, and center channels. The front left and right channels each consist of one 0.6875" tweeter and one 2.625" midrange driver which are coaxially mounted; each channel powered by 75 watts. The center channel section of the soundbar consists of one 0.6875" tweeter coaxially mounted to one 2.625" midrange driver which are powered by 75 watts, plus four 2.625" full-range drivers that are powered by 75 watts each. The soundbar can be wall-mounted using the integrated key-hole slots on the back of the speaker, or simply placed on a tabletop in front of your TV.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The HT-ST9 includes a wireless powered subwoofer that compliments the soundbar for a seamless sound. The wireless subwoofer houses a front-firing 7" woofer powered by a built-in 200W S-Master digital amplifier and a down-firing 7.875" x 11.8125" passive radiator to deliver a powerful low bass notes. Because the powered subwoofer uses 5.8GHz wireless technology, it can be placed virtually anywhere in your room (up to 33' from soundbar). There are no extra audio cables to run; you do have to plug the powered sub into an AC outlet.
Magnetic Fluid Speaker Technology: The Sony HT-ST9 employs Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology. In conventional speakers, dampers provide suspension and stability for voice coils, which unfortunately create unwanted noise and distortion. By eliminating speaker dampers and replacing them with magnetic fluid speaker technology, energy efficiency is dramatically improved, and mid and high ranges are extended in incredible detail and clarity. With Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology, the HT-ST9 allows a more accurate revealing sound, in addition to cranking out 1.6x the volume of a conventional speaker.
S-Master Digital Amplifiers: Both the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer employ Sony's S-Master Digital Amplifiers. Using a simplified, full digital signal path, the S-Master amplifier reproduces digital audio signals without the multiple analog stages required by conventional amplifiers. The result is not just more power, but significantly less distortion caused by heat build-up.
S-Force Pro Front Surround: The HT-ST9 utilizes S-Force Pro Front Surround to deliver virtual surround sound from a two-piece home theater speaker system. S-Force PRO Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum - using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll be able to enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
Digital Surround Formats: The HT-ST9 supports the following digital audio formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24
- Linear PCM: 2ch (48 kHz or less), 5.1ch (96 kHz or less), or 7.ch (192 kHz or less)
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and LPCM 7ch is only supported via HDMI.
Audio Settings: The HT-ST9 offers preset soundfields, dialog enhancement, a night mode, an audio upscaler for compressed music files, and dynamic range compression to add to your listening enjoyment.
- Soundfields w/ ClearAudio+: You can select from seven different sound fields to optimize your surround sound experience. Choose from ClearAudio+, Standard, Movie, Music, Music Arena, Game Studio, or Football. Unique to Sony, ClearAudio+ automatically adjusts sound settings for an enriching listening experience. By bringing together expertise in digital signal processing technologies, ClearAudio+ is able to optimize audio formats to deliver a consistently clear, high-quality sound, whatever music you're listening to.
- Voice & Night Modes: With Voice mode, you'll be sure to hear every whisper and character nuance of the dialog compared to other sounds in the scene for a dynamic experience. Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels.
- DSEE HX: The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales your compressed digital music files (2ch 44.1/48kHz) and takes it closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio (up to 96kHz/24-bit equivalent). By restoring the high-range sound lost in the compression process, DSEE HX produces your digital music files in rich, natural sound, closer to the quality of the original recording. This function does not work with DSD music files.
- Audio DRC: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of Dolby Digital sound tracks.
- Subwoofer Level: You can increase or decrease the powered subwoofer's volume level independent from the system's overall volume level.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the HT-ST9 system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: Because with most televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the Sony HT-ST9 directly; and then connect the HT-ST9's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital + Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-ST9 soundbar system features both analog (minijack) audio and digital (optical) audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your DVD player and CD player that do not offer HDMI connectivity. There is single minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input and one optical (toslink) digital audio input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM audio signals.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
HDMI 2.0: The Sony HT-ST9 features three HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output which supports 4K pass-through, 1080/24p video, x.v.Color, Deep Color, and 3D; as well as ARC and standby pass-through. The system can detect and receive the best possible video and audio signals from all connected devices via HDMI, making connection and performance as simple as plugging in a single wire. Sony's HDMI Active Intelligence, transmits both audio and video signals through one HDMI cable. The system's HDMI jacks support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass-Through allows the Sony HT-ST9 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by the system's HDMI 1 input and HDMI ARC output. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The system's HDMI 2.0 jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling.
24p Output: The 24p Output settings allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
3D-Ready: The Sony HT-ST9 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI connection. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
Color Technologies: The Sony HT-ST9 incorporates Triluminos Color, Deep Color, and x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony soundbar speaker system utilizes Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The soundbar speaker system also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The Sony soundbar system supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the HT-ST9 system.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony HT-ST9 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the system to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the soundbar speaker system to your home network you are able to stream select online music services from Google Cast and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this system.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the speaker system.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony wireless speaker system and your speakers. Chromecast Built-in certified apps include Google Play Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeart Radio, and more (click here for a complete list of compatible apps). Chromecast Built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality. Additional Chromecast Built-in features include:
- Simple-to-Use: Chromecast Built-in allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast Built-in compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Sony HT-ST9 & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Miracast Technology: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) through the soundbar system to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
SongPal Link Multiroom Audio: The Sony HT-ST9 soundbar & sub speaker system supports Sony's SongPal Link multiroom audio feature. With SongPal Link, a feature of Sony's SongPal app for Apple iOS & Android, you can link multiple Sony SongPal Link compatible devices (sold separately) together to create zones, allowing you to stream the same music source or different music sources to all your SongPal Link compatible speakers or groups of speakers. Compatible sources include the soundbar speaker's HDMI, Optical, and Analog inputs, DLNA computers and servers, plus select online music services within SongPal.
Note: For the best multiroom experience, Sony recommends configuring your wireless band router to a 5Ghz wireless band.
DLNA Certified: The Sony HT-ST9 is DLNA certified. By connecting the HT-ST9 to your home network, you can listen to music stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. This eliminates the need to copy your and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Side-Panel USB Port: The Sound soundbar speaker system is equipped with a side-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), Sony Walkman, or USB thumbdrive. The system can recognize up to 500 folders and 500 files in each folder. You can use the system's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the soundbar speaker system's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Music Files: The Sony HT-ST9 soundbar speaker system supports the following compressed, uncompressed, and high resolution music files via USB and DLNA.
- Compressed Formats: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps) & AAC (48-320kbps)
- Uncompressed Formats: WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit) & ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- High Resolution Formats: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), & DSD (2.8MHz)
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony HT-ST9 soundbar speaker system features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.) for wireless audio streaming and control. The system can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones.
- Receiver Mode: The Sony HT-ST9 incorporates
Bluetooth A2DP 1.2/AVRCP 1.5, so you can stream music wirelessly from a
BT-enabled device (like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad), Android
smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop) to the soundbar
- Wireless Audio Streaming & Control: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your BT-enabled device to the Sony soundbar system. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the included remote control. Song/artist information is displayed on the system's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- LDAC Codec Support: In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the system also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the soundbar speaker system's DLNA content, online music services from Google Cast Audio and SongPal, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The soundbar speaker system is muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
- SSP + NFC Pairing: The HT-ST9 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android 2.3.3 or later) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the NFC logo on the soundbar and they're paired. NFC Easy Connect app is needed for your Android device, unless you have Android OS 4.1 or later installed. Once paired, the soundbar system will automatically re-connect to your device or headphone when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony system.
SongPal Remote App: By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from Apple's App Store or Google Play), you can use your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.3+) device to control the HT-ST9 system via WiFi. From the SongPal remote app, you can select input sources, switch to other entertainment apps, and customize sound settings of the soundbar speaker system. You'll need to exit this app to stream & control stored music or music apps on your Bluetooth-connected phone.
IR Remote + HDMI Control: The HT-ST9 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system and HDMI-CEC device. HDMI Control allows you to easily manage and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI. By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following ways -
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the soundbar speaker system and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the soundbar speaker system.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the soundbar system and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Note: With many other soundbar systems, placing the soundbar speaker on your TV stand can be problematic and block the TV's remote control sensor, forcing you to stand up and angle your remote to control your TV. The HT-ST9 soundbar speaker's features an IR repeater pass-through which allows your TV remote control commands to pass-through the front of the soundbar to the TV behind it, eliminating this problem.
On-Screen Display: The HT-ST9 provides an on-screen display through its HDMI output for setup, operation, and song/artist information.
Auto Standby: The soundbar speaker system entering standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 20 minutes and the system is not receiving an input signal.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Price and previous history of ordering from Crutchfield. [ Atif Jun 26, 2017 ]
Did some show rooming and this unit sounds Great even though it's an older model I couldn't pass up the promotional offer [ troy Jun 10, 2017 ]
Given my set of needs, and good advice from Athena in context. Many thanks to Athena for her great help. [ Keith May 20, 2017 ]
Multiple speakers, HDMI inputs and output. [ ERIC P Apr 15, 2017 ]
Sony deal [ Gregory Feb 04, 2017 ]
Sony's reputation for sound equipment and product reviews. [ K Jan 25, 2017 ]
I chose this because I own 2 Sony Soundbar HT-ST7's. So, I am hoping this is the same quality or even better! I will update once I review this purchase in person. [ George Jan 22, 2017 ]
The additional $200 off when purchased with the TV [ Andrew Jan 15, 2017 ]
The price is the primary reason for choosing the sound bar. This sound bar really does cost over $1500 retail. Also, I like the sound quality, especially when playing music! [ Charles Jan 07, 2017 ]
Based on many hours of research. Then, Crutchfield's 60-day money back guarantee -- best insurance, therefore the best deal! In 60 days, you should have discerned if this product will work for you -- or not. [ S. Dec 07, 2016 ]
7.1, on sale discount and further discount with tv bundle, Sony product [ J Nov 25, 2016 ]
Top of the line sound bar from Sony and good price as well. [ Syed Nov 24, 2016 ]
I compared every high end sound bar on the market. When paired with Sony's best 4K TV's the HT-ST9 was the only choice (without going to a component system) if like me you believe audio is as important as picture quality to the viewing experience. [ LANCE Oct 26, 2016 ]
I WANT MORE ROCK THE HOUSE VOLUMN, PLUS I SAVED ABOUT 500.00 ON A OPEN BOX. [ OWEN L Apr 30, 2016 ]
Sony LDAC Bluetooth codec. HDCP 2.2 compliance. Hi-Res Audio support. [ Terence Apr 27, 2016 ]
The features and specs were awesome. [ R Jan 13, 2016 ]
6 questions already asked
The HT-ST9 does not support HDR pass-thru. It does support HDMI ARC so, you can connect your external 4K HDR sources directly to the TV's inputs and provide audio from the TV back to the Sony VIA the ARC option. [ Ryan Feb 02, 2018 ] Staff
There are keyhole slots on back of speaker to slide onto appropriate sized bolts anchored into wall. Placement is described in operating instructions that come with speaker. No mention of separate wall mounting bracket. I did not keep speaker due to HDMI incompatibility with my older early generation 4K TV. [ John Jul 06, 2017 ]
have not used a switch with my HT-ST9. I would suggest calling Sony support, I've always found their advice knowable and accurate. It is more difficult to get through to them since they stopped selling direct to the public. [ LANCE Mar 06, 2017 ]
Absolutely, yes. BTW, the sound bar replaces a receiver, so you may only need three inputs. [ STU Mar 05, 2017 ]
I don't think so. Its wireless and meant to work as a system. [ David Feb 29, 2016 ]
No. If I remember correctly you can only use the included Sony subwoofer. [ Chuck Feb 29, 2016 ]
2 answers I have an ST-9 that will not stay connected to the sub. I have already used the secure network option and it still drops and reconnects often. Can I hard-wire this thing? What exact cable do I need to connect them? This is a real drag as I never had this issue with my old ST-7. [ Michael Nov 25, 2015 ]
Sorry to hear of your problem. I situated my sub next to the cabinet that the ST-9 sits on and have never experienced your problem. Could yours be located too far away? There have been a few times that ST-9 has not fired up when I turn on my SONY TV, but no other issues. I'm probably not much help on this. Good luck. [ Charles Nov 26, 2015 ]
I don't see any way to hard wire the sub. It's wireless only as far as I can tell. Sorry, and good luck. [ Chuck Nov 26, 2015 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy May 27, 2015 ] Staff