Focal Dôme Flax Pack 5.1
Home theater speaker system with 5 Dôme Flax satellites and Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer (White)
Our take on the Focal Dôme Flax Pack 5.1 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Each Dôme Flax satellite has an integrated base that doubles as a convenient, swiveling wall-mount.
Pinpoint accuracy from sleek, modern speakers
Surround sound doesn't have to mean surrounding yourself with big, bulky speakers. Focal's Dôme Flax 5.1 pack is perfect for home theater fans who want their speakers to make a statement both with their sound quality and their visual design.
High-tech drivers from the experts at Focal
Each of the five included Dôme Flax satellites features a pair of Focal's rigorously engineered drivers. A 4" flax woofer delivers rich, tonally accurate mids and bass, while a 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter dishes out clear highs all the way up to 28,000 Hz.
A wireless, wall-mountable subwoofer
The included Sub Air powered subwoofer rounds out the bottom end with tight, punchy bass. Its shallow design means you can mount it on your wall. Focal even includes the hardware you'll need to install it. Plus, this subwoofer is wireless. That opens up the placement possibilities and lets you minimize unsightly clutter in your home theater.
Five Dôme Flax Satellites:
- integrated stand/mount tilts up to 90° for setup flexibility
- frequency response: 80-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- 4" woven flax fiber mid-bass driver with rubber surround
- 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter
- lacquered high-gloss white aluminum cabinet
- 5-3/4"W x 6-3/4"H x 5-5/8"D (each)
- weight: 4.2 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
Sub Air Wireless Powered Subwoofer:
- shallow, wall-mountable design
- 110-watt RMS (150-watt peak) amplifier
- 8" cellulose pulp cone woofer
- receives high-quality audio signals wirelessly
- included wireless transmitter connects to your A/V receiver
- frequency response 40-200 Hz (±3dB)
- 14-1/4"W x 16-1/8"H x 6-3/8"D
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 3 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Focal Dome Flax Speakers:
- 5 Satellite loudspeakers (integrated table-top stands)
- 5 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 5 Rubber pads
- 5 Wall-mount brackets
- 10 Screws
- 10 Wall-anchors
- 5 Hex-keys
- User Manual Focal Sub Air:
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- Wireless transmitter
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- AC power plug insert (2-prong)
- 8' AC power cord
- 4 Rubber feet
- 2 Brackets
- Four M4 x 10mm machine screws
- Four M4 x 17mm machine screws
- 4 Wood-screws
- 4 Wall-anchors
- User Manual
Incredible sound! Easy to set up. Excellent for a small or large room. Highs and lows crystal clear. Beautiful design too.
Danny, Chester, NJ
Focal Dôme Flax Pack 5.1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||6|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||30-36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|RMS Power Range (watts)||25-100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power (watts)||Not Given|
|Main Speakers (inches)||6-3/4H x 5-3/4W x 5-5/8D|
|Center Speaker (inches)||6-3/4H x 5-3/4W x 5-5/8D|
|Surround Speakers (inches)||5-3/4H x 6-3/4W x 5-5/8D|
|Subwoofer (inches)||16-1/8H x 14-1/4W x 6-3/8D|
Dome Flax Satellite Loudspeaker: The Focal Dôme Flax Pack 5.1 includes five of Focal's Dôme Flax satellite loudspeakers. Focal's Dôme Flax is a high-end satellite loudspeaker that is made in France and incorporates Focal loudspeaker technology from the brand's most prestigious models. The Dôme Flax uses a two-way driver configuration with a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter and a 4" Flax cone woofer for a natural, multi-directional soundstage.
1" Aluminum/Magnesium Inverted Dome Tweeter: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker features a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter. This configuration produces a precise, analytical sound and an extremely deep soundstage. Magnesium possesses great damping qualities, while Aluminum provides greater rigidity. The unique marriage of these two metals offers several key advantages - rapid response, reduced distortion, and excellent damping. This enables the tweeter to extend its frequency response to 28kHz (-3dB) with thigh frequencies that are both dynamic and detailed.
4" Flax Cone Woofer: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker utilizes a 4" Flax cone woofer. The flax cone is made in France and exclusively by Focal since 2013. With its original design, the cone is entirely oriented towards acoustic performance. It is made of high quality flax fiber enclosed by two thin layers of glass fiber. The Flax cone is characterized by its natural sound, with low coloration, its richness of reproduction in the midrange register and its tighter bass. The lightness of the fiber satisfies the criteria of high internal damping, high velocity and high flexural rigidity. Flax is twice as light as fiberglass, because the fiber is hollow. It also has very low elasticity which makes it ideal to increase the flexural rigidity of a sandwich structure.
High-Gloss Lacquered Aluminum Enclosure: The Dôme Flax has a sleek, sealed enclosure design without any visible screw fittings, and is made using sophisticated materials with luxury finishes. It's round shape & design resembles that of a spot-light, which is ideal to avoid internal resonances that distort the purity of timbers. The enclosure is completely sealed for more accurate sound, void of any port noise. The Dôme Flax is available in a gloss white finish with removal grey cloth grille or a gloss black finish with a removal black cloth grille.
Set-Screw Speaker Terminals: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker employs bottom-mounted set-screw terminals which will accept bare wire up to 16 gauge. A hex-key is included to adjust the set screws.
Multi-Direction Sound w/ Flexible Mounting Options: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker is multi-directional, so placement is flexible. The Dôme Flax is ideal for rooms and spaces up to approximately 430 square feet. It can be placed on a table-top, or mounted to the wall or ceiling.
- Integrated Table-Top Stand: The satellite loudspeaker comes with an integrated table-top stand and a rubber foot pad which allows it to securely set on top of a piece of AV furniture, stand, shelf, or desk. The integrated table-top stand allows the speaker to fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 90°).
- Wall/Ceiling Mount Bracket: The integrated table-top stand also allows you to mount the speaker to the wall or ceiling with the included mounting bracket. The rubber foot pad is removed and the included bracket is attached to the bottom of the table-stop stand after the bracket is secured to the wall or ceiling with the included screws. When wall-mounted, the speaker can fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker downward (up to 90°). When ceiling-mounted, the speaker fires directly down into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 90°).
Wireless Connectivity: The Focal Sub Air is equipped with a built-in wireless receiver and comes with an external wireless transmitter, so you don't have to run a subwoofer cable between your AV receiver or integrated amplifier and the powered sub. The external wireless transmitter features LFE/RCA inputs which connect to your AV receiver or integrated amplifier's LFE output or stereo preouts. The low-frequency audio signals from your receiver or amplifier are then wirelessly transmitted to the Sub Air's built-in wireless receiver. The Focal Sub Air has a wireless range of approximately 49'.
Note: The Focal Sub Air and the included wireless transmitter come wirelessly connected from the factory. It is only possible to connect one Sub Air powered subwoofer to one wireless transmitter at a time, and vice-versa.
8" Cellulose Pulp Cone Woofer: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer features a 8" cellulose pulp cone woofer that sounds great for movie and music soundtracks.
Note: The driver used in the Sub Air is made up of complex mechanical elements and requires a break-in period before it delivers the best of its performances. Focal recommends that you to let the subwoofer operate for about twenty hours at medium level, playing standard music programs, but with a large amount of bass.
110W BASH Amplifier: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer employs a built-in 110W (RMS)/150W Peak) BASH amplifier for dynamic bass response.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a side-firing bass port for added efficiency and bigger bass response. The bass port has been finely tuned to prevent port noise and distortion. The enclosure is available in a gloss black or gloss white lacquer finish.
Sub Controls: The Focal Sub Air provides Volume, Crossover, and Phase controls on the bottom-panel.
- Volume Level: The volume level controls the overall output level of the powered subwoofer, relative to the volume of the Dôme Flax satellite speakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: The Focal Sub Air is equipped with a variable low-pass crossover which can be set between 50Hz and 200Hz. If your AV receiver is equipped with an LFE output, make sure the set the Sub Air's low-pass crossover to the "LFE" setting.
- Phase Switch: The phase switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the powered subwoofer in relation to the Dôme Flax speakers - either 0° or 180°. If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, adjusting the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass performance.
LFE/RCA Input: If you prefer a wired connection, the Focal Sub Air is also equipped with an LFE/stereo RCA input on the bottom-panel. Use the RCA input jack labeled "Right/LFE" for an LFE connection to your AV receiver. You will need to run a subwoofer cable (sold separately) from your AV receiver or integrated amplifier's LFE/RCA output to the powered sub.
Auto On/Standby: The Focal Sub Air will automatically power on when it detects an audio signal and go into standby mode when there is not audio signal present. You can also choose to manually turn the power of the Sub Air on and off.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer can be simply placed on the floor using the included rubber feet or even mounted to a wall using the included wall-mount kit. Focal recommends placing the Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer in a corner towards the front of the room near the front satellite speakers for optimum bass performance and a +6dB boost in bass output.
AC Power Requirements: Both the wireless powered subwoofer and wireless transmitter will require AC power. The wireless powered sub includes an 8' detachable AC power cord. The wireless transmitter includes an AC power adapter with an attached 6' DC cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Focal Dôme Flax Pack 5.1
Home theater speaker system with 5 Dôme Flax satellites and Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer
Polk Audio Blackstone™ TL350
Compact home theater speaker system
Klipsch Reference Theater Pack
5.1-channel home theater speaker system with wireless powered subwoofer
Focal Dôme 5.1 Pack
Home theater speaker system with 5 Dôme Polyglass satellites and Dôme Sub